• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2's graphics and production values (both on console and mobile) seem insane

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Really wish I could be excited, but after Inj 1 and MKX, the stiff feel and flow just pulls me out. Can understand why fans love the package though. Animations and models aren't doing anything for me, possibly just really dislike this universe's art, despite its improvement over the first game.

Still what is the excuse for it having possibly the worst HUD and frontend I've seen for a high profile game. Everything looks placeholder.

They have been the top developers in the genre since MK9, the amount of variety in their characters, solid online play, and fantastic campaign modes have been a treat.

I don't care about DC at all but I will probably get this game just for the campaigns being so well done

Inviusx

That MK animation thread really ruined the discussion of NRS games on gaf. Every second post is just arm chair animators spouting "yeah but the animation sucks".

Its a damn shame to be honest.

The production values for the game are indeed quite high, clearly this is a very expensive, AAA-tier release. Not sure about calling this a "good direction forward for the genre" since I doubt any FG publisher but WB can afford to do something like this. There's a crazy amount of assets in the game, there seems to be an endless supply of customizable shit for each character.
I find it hard to believe Disney couldn't throw in some money to visually enhance MvCI.
Kind of makes me really wish MS would have put the same money into KI that WB did into their fighting games, considering they actually have them. Besides Namco, other software companies that make fighters can only dream at what WB does with theirs.
For a F2P game KI looks AAA.

JoeInky

Now thats an odd opinion. MK9 is easily the worst of the bunch when it comes to visuals and all round art direction.

It might be because I played MK9 more and I preferred it's setting (and possibly because it's been a while since I played it), I didn't really get to play MKX much, something just looked off about it to me.

That MK animation thread really ruined the discussion of NRS games on gaf. Every second post is just arm chair animators spouting "yeah but the animation sucks".

Its a damn shame to be honest.

People have been complaining about NRS' animations since MK9, long before that video.

David___

Banned
Some of yall are taking that animation critique video a little too seriously. It is not bad or terrible.

I've held the opinion that NRS games look like garbage in motion ever since playing MK9. All the video did was allow me to actually point to why I dont like them vs me saying "It just feels off"

You dont need to be an animator to feel like your moves feel like nothing but wet noodles slapping another person instead of it feeling like its an actual attack.

"Bad gunplay" is a valid reason to dislike a shooter. Why cant the same be said for fighters?

big_z

If you watch the YouTube link in the OP the models have improved quite a lot over the previous IJ but still have room for improvement. However when the game switches from story to fights it's pretty jarring and looks kinda awful. The animation and movement especially is all sorts of bad.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It seems like at this point, if they really wanted to entirely overhaul their style of animation they have the budget and resources to do so. I've noticed each of their games does update the quality of move-set animations, but I'm not sure they're going to stray far from the style they've established.

For one thing, it is extremely clear what characters are doing when they perform actions, and while that recent video went out of its way trying to prove the animation is objectively incorrect, I wonder if that may be at the root of its appeal to a mainstream audience.

At a certain point the proof is in the results; their games are, by the standards of the fighting game genre, ridiculously huge. The only studio that approaches Smash Bros. tier. I wonder if Injustice 2 will set a new record for them.

ekim

The thing that bothers me the most is the hit sounds. It sounds just plain bad really. Don't know why exactly tho.

dlauv

People have been complaining about NRS' animations since MK9, long before that video.

While this is true, it's different now. It usually isn't the sole contribution or focal point of discussion. It's also annoying because everyone has seen the video, so everyone is aware of the issue. But to be fair the topic is about graphics.

It's kind of gone beyond complaining to become some form of virtue signaling.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you watch the YouTube link in the OP the models have improved quite a lot over the previous IJ but still have room for improvement. However when the game switches from story to fights it's pretty jarring and looks kinda awful. The animation and movement especially is all sorts of bad.

I should probably mention that the YouTube link is the mobile game.

vg260

I'm willing to bet a lot of the "horrible models" and "can't get past the animation" comments are from those who have not been following recent media for the game.

The models are mostly very good and yes, while they can still improve in animation, I feel like the comments are often way over-exaggerated to the point if it being a meme. For a fighting game fan and super hero fan, this is a no-brainer pick up.

No fighting game is going to be perfect, and there are complaints I have about some things, but they deserve a ton of credit for the jump from the first one to this in terms of polish. I've never really been a huge NR fan gameplay-wise, but this game has me the most excited I've been for a game in years.

KillLaCam

Banned
I'm willing to bet a lot of the "horrible models" and "can't get past the animation" comments are from those who have not been following recent media for the game.

The models are mostly very good and yes, while they can still improve in animation, I feel like the comments are often way over-exaggerated to the point if it being a meme. For a fighting game fan and super hero fan, this is a no-brainer pick up.

No fighting game is going to be perfect, and there are complaints I have about some things, but they deserve a ton of credit for the jump from the first one to this in terms of polish. I've never really been a huge NR fan gameplay-wise, but this game has me the most excited I've been for a game in years.

Yeah I have way more small things I don't like about the new street fighter than The past 2 NRS games but I still enjoy it. People are acting like it's Andromeda

Khezu

The animation complaint is valid and it's only going to get worse the better these games look.
With the more realistic looking characters, it's jarring to see them have such weird and goofy animations.

It is something they really need to overhaul.
Though it wouldn't really change lot of peoples minds about NRS games because that's not really what makes them super awkward to play, that's a whole issue that is probably never going to be changed and has more to do with it's ridiculous input buffer.
That said, outside of a handful of characters, the animation thing is blow out of proportion. But I can't blame people for being turned off enough not to play it, I have not played games for far smaller reasons.

The only link in the OP is for the mobile game unless I missed something.

Boke1879

Straight up. This game and Tekken will be my go to. I'll get MVC:I tho.

But yea this game is really doing a lot and it has a lot in here to keep people engaged long term.

My cousin and some friends can't wait to get this game so we can all whoop each others asses in it.

The animation complaints arent valid if youre saying stuff like "NRS games look like garbage" instead of just judging Injustice 2 which is what this thread is about on its own merits. Or "I've been complaining since MK9". This thread isnt about MK9.

And that video was about MKX not Injustice 2 and yet it keeps being referenced. Why?

RootCause

With the exception of KoF, NRS hav made the most enjoyable fighters this gen. Just on another level.

Can't wait for Tuesday.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The animation complaints arent valid if youre saying stuff like "NRS games look like garbage" instead of just judging Injustice 2 which is what this thread is about on its own merits. Or "I've been complaining since MK9". This thread isnt about MK9.

And that video was about MKX not Injustice 2 and yet it keeps being referenced. Why?

Because they have the same stiff animations during gameplay?

MrCarter

Because it's still the same base models recycled for Injustice. So yes, they are valid.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The environments look insane

like I know the pixel heads out there aren't going ot like this... but best looking fighting game stages of all time

HeatBoost

It's almost if fighting game's tight focus on 2 characters and backgrounds with a very finite scope and pre-canned amount of interaction and movement makes a recipe for impressive graphics or something

It'd be nice if someone would remind Capcom about that

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm pretty impressed with the production values. The game looks amazing and has no corner I've seen that looks less than fully realized.

I'd agree the game is pretty to look at. Compared to Injustice 1 (which looked pretty terrible imo), the difference is staggering. Though I feel they go too far for the cinematic supers to the point that they are jarring transition that will get old quick (I think Capcom does a better job at this). Also the weird "YARRR" characters yell when going into super always cracks me up. I feel this is an example of NRS missing some key components that usually click in other fighting games...

RedAssedApe

Banned
It's almost if fighting game's tight focus on 2 characters and backgrounds with a very finite scope and pre-canned amount of interaction and movement makes a recipe for impressive graphics or something

It'd be nice if someone would remind Capcom about that
Budget

Tizoc

Looks good in stills but my issue with NR games have been their animations.

This.
The animations look too janky. They have their charm, but honestly, when I think 'playable Darkseid in a fighting game', NR jank is not what I have in mind.

OmegaZero

Jesus...

I haven't followed this since it was announced but it looks pretty insane. It's a shame that I only own gaming handhelds or I would be all over this.

Khezu

I'd agree the game is pretty to look at. Compared to Injustice 1 (which looked pretty terrible imo), the difference is staggering. Though I feel they go too far for the cinematic supers to the point that they are jarring transition that will get old quick (I think Capcom does a better job at this). Also the weird "YARRR" characters yell when going into super always cracks me up. I feel this is an example of NRS missing some key components that usually click in other fighting games...

I have a theory that they design the supers like that because they exist only for the sake of trailers.

Since in game 95% of them are completely useless and never worth using.

Because NetherRealm Studios has had the same criticisms of their animation and modeling characters in all of their games they've made so far. It is something that they should be working to make better in each of their games. This Injustice is looking a lot better in the aspect of modeling characters, but still from the footage appears the game seems to have relatively the same awkward animation despite the games doing incredibly well. I mentioned MK mostly because this is further evidence that this is not NetherRealm paying "homage" to crappy animation with their new Mortal Kombat games.

Gator86

Yeah, this right here. Ever since seeing that video explaining everything wrong with NR animation, I haven't been able to watch gameplay.

That video kind of broke me too. This game still looks amazing from a technical and value perspective though. I'm pretty excited for it.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
They've taken the modelling/face issues to heart. Hopefully animations will be addressed next go around.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Compared to Injustice 1 (which looked pretty terrible imo)

Whatever do you mean?
>_>

caption_1.jpggys0d.jpg

KalBalboa

Banned
Throw me in the ignorance is bliss category, but I haven't watched the video that ruins the animations for me.

I think it looks good in motion. I'm sure there's some real reason so many people are claiming it animates poorly but I'm not seeing the horrible/terrible/trash fire tier issues.

jdstorm

Banned
Jesus...

I haven't followed this since it was announced but it looks pretty insane. It's a shame that I only own gaming handhelds or I would be all over this.

The Smartphone version of Injustice 1 was really good. If you have a modern smartphone/Ipad ect then get that version.

The mobile version is tanking the frame rate hard. And I'm playing on the Samsung S8!!!!!!

Not mentioning the hard locks at 0 fps for a few moments

elohel

They actually run on separate engines. The console game uses Unreal Engine 3, while the mobile game uses Unreal Engine 4.

ahh kk nvm then lol

I watched last year all the additions to metal and scene kit that allow you to import and have everything scaled down properly really easily

Got my hopes up :((((

Why 3 for console but 4 for mobile?

Top Bottom