• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Injustice 2's graphics and production values (both on console and mobile) seem insane

The environments look insane

like I know the pixel heads out there aren't going ot like this... but best looking fighting game stages of all time

I'm not sure what "pixel heads" means since there aren't many fighting games that utilize pixel art but while Injustice 2's stages look good now they're gonna age like poop compared to pretty much any stylized fighter. Injustice 2 is gonna look dated five years from now, MvC Infinite and Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 are gonna look fine in a decade.

Edit: didn't know infinite wasn't stylized anymore, nevermind to that one lol

I'm not sure what "pixel heads" means since there aren't many fighting games that utilize pixel art but while Injustice 2's stages look good now they're gonna age like poop compared to pretty much any stylized fighter. Injustice 2 is gonna look dated five years from now, MvC Infinite and Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 are gonna look fine in a decade.

Holy hyperbole Batman!

ahh kk nvm then lol

I watched last year all the additions to metal and scene kit that allow you to import and have everything scaled down properly really easily

Got my hopes up :((((

Why 3 for console but 4 for mobile?

I assume its because they have alot of custom tech in their version of 3 that 4 isn't up to speed with.

Khezu

Guilty Gear will look fantastic forever.
Do you mean MVC3? Because Infinite looks dated right now.

AdaWong

Harley Quinn's chapter spoiler
The whole Joker nightmare sequence was so well executed in terms of graphics, animation, detail and motion capture

The changes are disabled in competive modes. It's a neat system for messing around online or with friends.

Oh ok that's fine. Kinda weird then though that they'd add abilities for every fighter but exclude them completely from competitive. What are some examples? Do they just alter already existing abilities or add new combos?

Vice

Oh ok that's fine. Kinda weird then though that they'd add abilities for every fighter but exclude them completely from competitive. What are some examples? Do they just alter already existing abilities or add new combos?
Both. For example, Superman has a piece of gear that changes the angle he fires his eyebeams at. Some add new moves entirely. Some are stat changes like more damage or defense. Some can even swap or augment the characters trait.

Baleoce

Then there are people like Riot who bought a fighting game studio recently, and have endless piles of money.

Riot is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing what / if they do anything there. We need another big money player atm. But not from any of the old-guard who are very rigid when it comes to furthering the genre along. It needs to be new blood / a fresh take.

jdstorm

Banned
Riot is the one I'm most looking forward to seeing what / if they do anything there. We need another big money player atm. But not from any of the old-guard who are very rigid when it comes to furthering the genre along. It needs to be new blood / a fresh take.

So like ARMS

In terms of content released in a fighting game, other studios should strive to match what NRS does especially when it's a $60 game.

I'm glad NRS has fixed their character models for the most part but I'm still not a fan of the art direction in the Injustice series. MK is a lot better but DC characters aren't fit for these weird armor redesigns, the characters would look a lot better if they wore the current Rebirth outfits.

Onemic

The game looks really great when it's anything outside of you actually playing the game. Character intros, supers, character select screen, cutscenes, etc. But once you actually start playing tho...It looks like garbage

Some of yall are taking that animation critique video a little too seriously. It is not bad or terrible.

I saw that coming as soon as that video came around. The redletterdedia effect. A newfound sense of authority, repeat what you're told, every page/minute of critical take downs will take 5 pages/minutes to refute etc... the dead horse is already off and running.

Jaeger

I saw that coming as soon as that video came around. The redletterdedia effect. A newfound sense of authority, repeat what you're told, every page/minute of critical take downs will take 5 pages/minutes to refute etc... the dead horse is already off and running.

I can comb thru every thread prior to that video, and pull numerous complaints about the animations. Including my own. You have no idea what you are talking about.

RedHill

Banned
Boy oh boy it really took one "I think the animations are bad" to start a string of "this right here" posts, didn't it?

Jaeger

Compared to 3, it's heavily toned down.

This I agree with. But this is a different statement than "... it's no longer stylized". Gone are those thick black outlines, but these designs are still stylized (as in not photorealistic).

Numb

Edit: didn't know infinite wasn't stylized anymore, nevermind to that one lol

Let's not dirty Xrd's name by putting it next to doodoo looking fighters

ZeroX03

Banned
To start here, some screenshots from the mobile game (I apologize about the quality, there aren't a lot of good sources for mobile game screenshots from people with high end devices):

And feature wise it has:
- All of the same characters from the console game.
- All of the gear from the console game.

- It even has the console game's story mode, including the cutscenes, from the console game. They're releasing this over time to note, so you can currently only play the first chapter or two, though they seem to be intent on releasing it all over time.
- In the event you don't believe me, you can see the story mode here: https://youtu.be/tnzpNxZd2gA?t=123
- The fighting system is obviously simplified, though I had a better experience with it than I did trying out any of the other mobile fighting titles.
- They also seem to take inspiration from the console game in having all sorts of arenas and challenge modes and etc for you to partake in to unlock various things.

No, it doesn't? I've been playing for a few days now, as far as I can see it only has like half the characters (plus variants) and one gear set per character that doesn't change visuals. It'll increase over time, but currently it's missing a bunch.

BadAss2961

The models and stages are insane for a fighter.

They're hit and miss artistically though. Overdesigning some characters, made worse with the gear system that can make some of them unrecognizable.

It's the best looking NR game yet but I'm still distracted by the weirdo lighting in most stages (too dark, lit from weird angles, strange lit and shadowed areas) and - as others have said - the animation.

The models are fantastic though.

Strings

It manages to look pretty nice despite the super bland art style (and some particularly awful individual designs). That said, the folks calling this the prettiest fighter ever...

Have ya'll seen Guilty Gear Xrd? That looks great outside of stills too.

Gleethor

Throw me in the ignorance is bliss category, but I haven't watched the video that ruins the animations for me.

I think it looks good in motion. I'm sure there's some real reason so many people are claiming it animates poorly but I'm not seeing the horrible/terrible/trash fire tier issues.
Put me in that camp too, along with likely 99% of folks who buy the game.

I like fighting games but Injustice has never done anything for me personally. I can admit the game however does look great but I guess I'm just not really into the DC characters or whatever...not sure.

Khezu

The models and stages are insane for a fighter.

They're hit and miss artistically though. Overdesigning some characters, made worse with the gear system that can make some of them unrecognizable.

What are you talking about?
This is classic Hal Jordan.
fGMAa5r.jpg

Game looks good.

I am so done with that Aquaman design though. One thing the DCEU got 100% right is casting a Polynesian in the role. Can't go back now.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Falls apart in motion and, to be honest, for the most part I dont find this "look" to be a good fit for DC characters (for MK, sure)

They still deserve credit cause this shit is hard to do, but my dislike for the designs, the animations and the way the women look is a total turn off for me personally.

Top Bottom