• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inquest finds that fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster were unlawfully killed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
Hillsborough inquests: Fans unlawfully killed, jury concludes

Ninety-six football fans who died as a result of a crush in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster were unlawfully killed, the inquests have concluded. The jury decided the match commander Ch Supt David Duckenfield's actions amounted to "gross negligence" due to a breach of his duty of care to fans. Police errors also added to a dangerous situation at the FA Cup semi-final.

After a 27-year campaign by victims' families, the behaviour of Liverpool fans was exonerated. The jury found they did not contribute to the danger unfolding at the turnstiles.

When the conclusion of the unlawful killing was revealed, families were seen hugging each other in the public gallery and some punched the air.

The jury also concluded:

-Police errors caused a dangerous situation at the turnstiles
-Failures by commanding officers caused a crush on the terraces
-There were mistakes in the police control box over the order to open the Leppings Lane end exit gates
-Defects at the stadium contributed the disaster
-There was an error in the safety certification of the Hillsborough stadium
-Police delayed declaring a major incident
-The emergency response including the ambulance service was also delayed

Public gallery applauded the jury as they left court, with some standing up to clap them out.

For those unfamiliar: Hillsborough inquests: What you need to know

On 15 April more than 24,000 Liverpool fans travelled to Sheffield for their club's FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest.

Liverpool supporters were assigned the North and West stands of the Hillsborough stadium. In the period before kick-off, a large crowd of those fans built up outside the turnstiles at the Leppings Lane end.

As the crowd gathered an order was given to open an exit gate to relieve turnstile pressure. In the five minutes gate C was open, about 2,000 Liverpool fans entered the stadium.

A "significant proportion" headed via a tunnel to the terraces behind the goal, entering "relatively full' central pens that were fenced on all sides. There was then a severe crush.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
And it only took 27 years, absolute disgrace. Hopefully those that covered it up finally get what's coming to them for smearing grieving families.

Good to hear.

Hopefully people can learn from this and move on. It's been hanging over people's heads for far too long.

96 people have been declared murdered, this is a beginning as much as an end unfortunately.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
incredible force of conviction by the families of the deceased to find justice. 27 years!

and of course an absolutely disgusting attempt by the establishment (police, media) to pervert justice and blame innocent people for their own loss of life.

Pity most of the senior police officers are likely long retired or dead. Still awesome for the families after all this time.

Every time I read about crushed and stampedes I can't believe it. I understand the ones involving fires or other emergencies, only barely that is, but 96 people dying because people were rushing to watch a soccer game?

Holy shit.

Edit: I made a knee-jerk response and am a dummy head. Have since been told more information regarding the incident. Sorry.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Every time I read about crushed and stampedes I can't believe it. I understand the ones involving fires or other emergencies, only barely that is, but 96 people dying because people were rushing to watch a soccer game?

Holy shit.

This is not what happened, and is essentially what the families were fighting for all this time. They died because of gross negligence by the authorities.

T-Rex.

Banned
About time. The strength of the families has been unreal.

Holy shit.
Try reading before commenting. That's not what happened.

For those interested, ESPN has a 30 for 30 documentary on this tragedy and it should be on Netflix (at least it was last time I checked).

Horrifying situation.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Holy shit.

it's not hugely uncommon for people to die in crushes like this. a number of people died a few years ago at a music festival because they got trapped in a tunnel and crushed. once people start panicking about the crush they exacerbate it by trying to push more etc.

they weren't rushing to see the game, they were being forced into stands that were too small to accomodate them and crushed up against a barricade in the process.

bluehat9

Is there anywhere to watch the ESPN 30 for 30 on this? Never got to see the whole thing.

Edit: just saw that post up there. Will check netflix after work.

Nodnol

About time. Rivalries mean nothing on days like today; they could have been any fans of any club. The video of the families singing YNWA outside the court is very powerful. I'm not a Liverpool fan but it touched me.

Now for the accountability. Those that can, should be held responsible.

At last, hope the families can get some peace from this ruling and hopefully those responsible will finally face the charges they deserve

96 people went to watch a game of football and never came home.

27 years it took for the authorities to exonerate the fans of what happened.

Justice. Finally.

YNWA

JoeNut

Finally - Good on all those families who have spent so long fighting for this.

Lets hope that the S*n issues a front page apology

yeah right

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Cg9jfCOWkAAPskT.jpg:large

Maledict

Finally - Good on all those families who have spent so long fighting for this.

Lets hope that the S*n issues a front page apology

yeah right

As much as I dislike the Sun, they issued a full page apology that was very abject and sincere in 2012 when the results on the inquiry came out.

Beefy

Why do I have the feeling only the low level guys will be charged etc?

RIP the victims and family members who died waiting for this verdict.

Just wondering USGAF or non-football/soccer GAF in general, what would be your knowledge on this disaster and is there anything in US sports that would rival it?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't the Taylor report at the time already place the blame on the stadium owners and the Yorkshire police for being absolutely neglectful of their duties?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I doubt it would matter. People would still buy the rag.

yeah but as we saw with the NOTW it only takes one major pr fuckup to bring a newspaper to its knees

more important right now anyway is that the people responsible for the perversion of justice are brought to rights imo

T-Rex.

Banned
Causes and times of deaths were being read out earlier. One death was at 4.33pm and another at any time between 3pm and 5pm. That's one hour and 24 minutes after the match was stopped. Those lives could have been saved. Sickening.

Emotional day.

Thoughts go out to Anne Williams who fought so hard for this campaign and completely refused the verdict of the first inquest, sadly she passed away a few years ago.

Anne-Williams.jpg

annebanner.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

I read the OP and still don't understand. "And then a severe crush happened" means nothing to me. What is a severe crush?

I read the OP and still don't understand. "And then a severe crush happened" means nothing to me. What is a severe crush?

It's hard to get context without seeing the videos/numerous documentaries. That's probably the best way to get a grasp on the ineptitude of the authorities

King_Moc

Banned
As much as I dislike the Sun, they issued a full page apology that was very abject and sincere in 2012 when the results on the inquiry came out.

And then they re-employed Kelvin Mckenzie. Forgive me if I don't take their apology seriously.

The stand was effectively a big cage, the police funnelled fans into it from one entrance only. There was no way for the people at the front to get out, and they were crushed as more people were funnelled in.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The stand was effectively a big cage, the police funnelled fans into it from one entrance only. There was no way for the people at the front to get out, and they were crushed as more people were funnelled in.

Thanks for the explanation. Is severe crush a British thing? I've never heard of the term.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

In the 1980s, Hillsborough Stadium and many stadiums like it had glass or plastic barricading walls at the very front of the stands to prevent people from entering the pitch (field) while still allowing them to see the game up close. In this event specifically, people were let into the stadium and were failed to be coordinated to the emptier terraces by the police and staff. What happened was people concentrated on one very small area of the stands and with nowhere to go, people at the front near the barricades were beginning to get crushed by the weight of the people pushing in from behind coming into the stadium. That's a human crush.

Grenchel

It's pretty inspiring that the victim's families persevered for so long. I'm not sure I could have had the same strength.

It literally only says that they were directed into an area too small to hold them, and a crush occurred. I read it mate, but good try trying to feel superior to others.

it's not hugely uncommon for people to die in crushes like this. a number of people died a few years ago at a music festival because they got trapped in a tunnel and crushed. once people start panicking about the crush they exacerbate it by trying to push more etc.

they weren't rushing to see the game, they were being forced into stands that were too small to accomodate them and crushed up against a barricade in the process.

That's what I mean. The crushing was from people wanting to get into the area? Was there a panic from people trying to get out?

The sources I'm searching for keep only saying "a crush occurred" without giving more context.

This is still so bizarre to me. How the hell do you push your body against people to get into an area, and kill them in the process? Without an Immediate emergency such as a fire?

Crazy to think about.

CCS

Banned
It literally only says that they were directed into an area too small to hold them, and a crush occurred. I read it mate, but good try trying to feel superior to others.

That's what I mean. The crushing was from people wanting to get into the area? Was there a panic from people trying to get out?

The sources I'm searching for keep only saying "a crush occurred" without giving more context.

In the 1980s, Hillsborough Stadium and many stadiums like it had glass or plastic barricading walls at the very front of the stands to prevent people from entering the pitch (field) while still allowing them to see the game up close. In this event specifically, people were let into the stadium and were failed to be coordinated to the emptier terraces by the police and staff. What happened was people concentrated on one very small area of the stands and with nowhere to go, people at the front near the barricades were beginning to get crushed by the weight of the people pushing in from behind coming into the stadium. That's a human crush.

Pretty good summary.

Pretty good summary.

Cheers for the additional summary. I understand what a crush is, just saying that the situation is so crazy to me. I'm imagining a wall of people compressing another group into a small cage without knowing what they're doing. It's nuts... Super scary to think they wouldn't hear the screaming or shouts for help.

CCS

Banned
For Americans and others not familiar with the disaster and who are unsure why the Sun and Kelvin MacKenzie (their then editor) are so hated, behind the spoiler tags is the disgusting front page the Sun ran after the disaster.

T-Rex.

Banned
Yep and then you posted that it was because of "people rushing to watch a soccer game" which is the kind of nonsense people come out with to blame the fans that were involved rather than the actual people who should be held responsible. I wasn't trying to feel superior or anything. I support the club and have done so since birth, I've been to a few of the memorials and for an incredibly long period of time there's been a misconception that the fans were to blame for what happened and that's how your post came across to me. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way from your later posts though so apologies for being a bit touchy.

Edit: for more information, this is worth reading: http://www.hfdinfo.com/

King_Moc

Banned
This is still so bizarre to me. How the hell do you push your body against people to get into an area, and kill them in the process? Without an Immediate emergency such as a fire?

Crazy to think about.

This is why everything has to have multiple entrances and exits these days. The stadium didn't have a valid safety certificate for a reason.

Lots of questions need to be answered now.

Boris Johnson.
Piers Morgan.
Kelvin Mackenzie who is still at The Sun.

To name a few.

Boris' article is actually still up at the spectator, if anyone wants to hate the little oaf even more:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2004/10/bigleys-fate/

For Americans and others not familiar with the disaster and who are unsure why the Sun and Kelvin MacKenzie (their then editor) are so hated, behind the spoiler tags is the disgusting front page the Sun ran after the disaster.

And just to clarify even more, the paper didn't even make that up themselves as you would expect. The local police force actually gave them that to print, as part of their cover up operation.

Clegg

For anyone who thinks Boris is a loveable buffoon. He's a calculating, mean little shit. Eton to the core.

Cg9lnmZWMAEW4Xh.jpg

I cried for days at the time, I was just 16 and Liverpool mad since I was tiny. My first ever football game was the charity match vs Celtic a few weeks after the tragedy, never thought that would be my first ever Liverpool match and the 60,000 fans singing you'll never walk alone still warms my heart to this day, such an outpouring of emotion. Today I'm happy the 96 souls who died supporting their team, finally got some justice in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom