• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Infinite - February 2021

Mr.ODST

Craig will look better. Either they will look better but nothing special, or they are purposely holding them to the end to really impress people.
To be fair if they held it till the end and Craig looks incredibly improved then it will be a huge blowback to all those pinpointing the graphics with the reveal (even though it was deserved at the time)

Great to see the progress, looks so much better, still some improvements to be made but looking at this, the delay made a huge difference.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looks great. Lets hope other assets also got an upgrade. I did not like how drab and ugly the enemy suits looked.

Mr.ODST

Looks great. Lets hope other assets also got an upgrade. I did not like how drab and ugly the enemy suits looked.
As someone mentioned earlier they might show that last to show how much the enemies have improved.

Biggest thing is if Flood have returned (which it seems they have since all marketing material had the Palace's of Pain in the background)

Good timing. I'm playing through Reach (in 60FPS with 120 field of view and HDR, to be clear), and this looks similar. I'm not wowed.

To be clear, I like Halo. I think Reach looks great. I thought Halo Infinite looked fine before, and it looks fine now. I just want to play the damn thing. The gameplay is what's going to have to wow me. Halo has been Halo since Combat Evolved 20 years ago. Combat needs to evolve again lol.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member

I thought weapons and enemies had a plastic-y and (I'm looking at you, Craig) low-res look to them in that gameplay reveal. I want to see what improvements (if any) they have made on that front. That was my biggest issue.

Mr.ODST

I thought weapons and enemies had a plastic-y and (I'm looking at you, Craig) low-res look to them in that gameplay reveal. I want to see what improvements (if any) they have made on that front. That was my biggest issue.
These arnt in game but these are the updated weapon models.

hi-br75-1920x1080-afebd6357dd547b4bfb64d7dcfd032bb.jpg

hi-ma40-ar-4k-467a0e63cf7345748348790fed16355b.png

hi-s7-sniper-4k-6fd1c1141b3c4b4b9f62592f561b2e79.png

And some Spartan Armour renders for customization in Multiplayer (Same Engine)

hi-scorpion-punch-armor-coating-1920x1080-bb912a768d394bbab1c75a0cbbd68124.jpg

hi-watchdog-armor-coating-ar-4k-86cb7fb5e22143139e8c9f83a378b4a8.png

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

Do you need a face that normally under a helmet to look high res for the 3 frames it’s close to the camera in very unique instances? That’s a huge waste that only meme lords will care about. The plastic flat look was due to lighting, their armor looks fine in other screenshots

IFireflyl

Gold Member
These arnt in game but these are the updated weapon models.

hi-br75-1920x1080-afebd6357dd547b4bfb64d7dcfd032bb.jpg

hi-ma40-ar-4k-467a0e63cf7345748348790fed16355b.png

hi-s7-sniper-4k-6fd1c1141b3c4b4b9f62592f561b2e79.png

And some Spartan Armour renders for customization in Multiplayer (Same Engine)

hi-scorpion-punch-armor-coating-1920x1080-bb912a768d394bbab1c75a0cbbd68124.jpg

hi-watchdog-armor-coating-ar-4k-86cb7fb5e22143139e8c9f83a378b4a8.png

It wasn't just the models themselves, but it also had to do with the way the HUD highlighted them and made them look... well, stupid. I'm hoping they'll look better since some important changes were to lighting, but we shall see!

Do you need a face that normally under a helmet to look high res for the 3 frames it’s close to the camera in very unique instances? That’s a huge waste that only meme lords will care about. The plastic flat look was due to lighting, their armor looks fine in other screenshots

I want all textures to look good (hi-res). I like to look at the bodies I've left in my wake.

stickkidsam

I have not been thinking about how amazing open world co-op is going to be. Love the emphasis on making multiple ways to tackle strongholds, finding secrets and bits of lore... dammit I'm getting hyped!!

Hopefully they boost the colors a bit. Looks a bit washed out, though not in a bad way. The colors and atmosphere almost feel like Reach.

If other biomes happen to have juicier palettes though that would make me sooooo happy. Love some variety.

Speaking of biomes, it would be so cool to see a return of more variety there. Being able to actually fly to a swamp area or see the landscape change to a snow covered canyon... or shit, BEACHES! Man the possibilities are insane!

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Definitely looks a lot better than last time. Wouldn't say it shouts "wow next-gen!" at all but still a big improvement.

fatmarco

I mean considering that's not really a long time in terms of development... yea. But I really want to trees and foliage to sway and move, that alone would be a MASSIVE upgrade. If they somehow manage to make the environment come alive (I'm probably asking for too much) it would be on another level of amazing.
That's the biggest thing for me. The reveal had no tire tracks, no plant animation or deformation etc. It's 2020, we should have these things even if they have to be culled for performance reasons on the last gen consoles. I'd rather sub native resolutions, 60 fps and more visual fidelity/ animation/ interactivity than a native 4k 60/120 focus.

It might be important to also note that some of the flatter/jaggier areas are likely using VRS (variable rate shading) like the reveal gameplay, which is always really noticeable in screenshots if its implemented aggressively.

Also they need to get rid of the image sharpening. All it's doing is making the game look more aliased than it needs to be.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
It wasn't just the models themselves, but it also had to do with the way the HUD highlighted them and made them look... well, stupid. I'm hoping they'll look better since some important changes were to lighting, but we shall see!

I want all textures to look good (hi-res). I like to look at the bodies I've left in my wake.

You can’t get half as close to a body by looking at it as you can when they’re clipping into while falling down

Fredrik

I need to see it in motion. Can’t talk about making the world feel like a real and living place and then just show a screenshot. These screens does nothing for me. Okay lighting I guess but I want to see how the vegetation moves in the wind, physics from enemies and the warthog, if we get tire tracks in the mud, explosion particles, wild life, stuff like that.

sainraja

Fuck Destiny. Halo is not a looter shooter.
I can't put it down these days lol and I was never into shooters that much! I genuinely gave Halo a try (with the MCC & Halo 5) and could not get into it! But isn't Halo Infinite being designed to be like Destiny? Or something like it?

EDIT

Lol, you got offended by what I said but I wasn't putting down Halo.

Last edited:
I can't put it down these days lol and I was never into shooters that much! I genuinely gave Halo a try (with the MCC & Halo 5) and could not get into it! But isn't Halo Infinite being designed to be like Destiny? Or something like it?

EDIT

Lol, you got offended by what I said but I wasn't putting down Halo.

Halo Infinite is one of the reasons why I am getting an Xbox down the line, it's the one franchise that draws me towards Xbox platform whenever I see videos from past games. We can have both Destiny and Halo!

Looking better, indeed. Work getting done and that's a good thing. I can see what they're trying to do with this article and series of screenshots e.g. it's a simulation sandbox and more interesting being an interactive game than just some compressed video or screenshots do it justice. I'll temper by judgement until this releases, they've earnt that now. I'm not blown away from what a top end PC could do with Halo TBH but we're moving in the right direction.

It ain't to the levels of this key art, which is kinda where I expect the top end PC quality to be if I'm being real -

1595426728_halo_infinite_keyart_primary_extended-horiz-799188b6e4d142f3a94443c7d35b6552.jpg

Last edited:

sainraja

Halo Infinite is one of the reasons why I am getting an Xbox down the line, it's the one franchise that draws me towards Xbox platform whenever I see videos from past games. We can have both Destiny and Halo!
You could but then you would miss out on too much on the Destiny 2 side. The gun play in Destiny is so addicting and you have to put in the time to get extras like exotic weapons etc. So you wouldn't really be able to give both the time!

This still looks decidedly inferior to older last generation games per my post's in the 4k screenshot thread. In fact most screenshots look as if
they have been painted on top of with conceptual artwork blended into the in game photo. I'm a fan of Xbox, and a fan of graphics - Microsoft is no longer doing it's main
flagship title justice.

Inexcusable to look graphically inferior compared to 2 year and now 5 - 6 year old last gen efforts. As I pointed out in my screenshots in the 4k thread with descriptions underscoring this truth.

If they bring it up to spec, and fix all the graphical issues, and actually make it look next gen - fine - but currently - many are pleased with the graphics now, because it looks far better than
what was first presented - not because this game is now graphically superior to old and at this point archaic, decrepit last gen efforts.

And it sadly really, isn't. And I lay the blame squarely on Microsoft. They must KNOW internally, that this game - at least what they've shown in screenshots
looks graphically inferior to games nearing and beyond half a decade old.

Which is shameful but needed to be said.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Honestly, the graphics could be 9.5 out of 10 and half of you guys will still rip it apart (a good portion who never planned on buying it or playing it). Zoom in 500% and pick out some juggles, complain it runs at 59.5 for once every 4 hours, that it's not 8k.

It's doomed to be complained about no matter how good it is now.

Top Bottom