• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Infinite - February 2021

Jon Neu

Banned
Look at that, Alex was right about lighting being the main problem all along, who knew... GAF experts in the mud again. These guys just can't stop taking L's.

Alex: the game can be improved a lot by fixing the lightning. Let's talk some more about lightning in videogames.

Gaf: How dare you not mock the Xbox and drag them through the dirt like we do!!1! You fucking shill!!!

Meanwhile, at another unrelated thread:

Gaf: Let's talk about the graphical powerhouse that is the PS5 exclusive Returnal. Only positive and serious opinions allowed or else.

Cacadookie

Neo Member
3bMuMay.gif
That is insanely good. I hope there is a weather system. I would like to experience rain in these environments.

Sony

Nintendo
I'm glad that the 343 and its partners got more time to polish the game to a level they are satisfied with. I have to say though, these new screenshots don't really show improvement to a lot of the reasons that the July demo looked so.. off. I didn't like the July demo because:
- How the characters interacted with the environments
- The really stiff animations of the covenant pelican
- The particle lighting interaction with the world
- Environment (foliage) physics

Halo: Infinite can look very sharp as shown in those PC screenshots, but it needs to come together in a fluid package.

Last edited:
Sure, their Screenshots are always super beautiful and exceptional looking, but I will judge on the live gameplay video.
With one more year development time and the craig meme, I hope they make it right.

Also I want ray-tracing in, if they delay to end of 2021 anyways

Last edited:

martino

I will wait to see that moving but i don't see them meet the graphics demands with the constraint they have.

My apologies before hand, this reply was intended for the Halo 4k Images thread.

However currently I can no longer reply at the moment.

But - it was stated in the 4k Infinite Images thread cited I enlarged an image to fit a false narrative. This implies I physically enlarged an image over it's native resolution to make said image uglier.

Due to this, I'm leaving my response here to Negotiator who afterwards made a reply to another user seemingly targeting me, however as I looked through his various replies to figure out where this was said previously as his reply infers - I could not find citation- and MonarchJT who flatly insinuates on more than one occasion I've altered the image by enlarging the original resolution.

like I said zooming in on certain objects is not the way to determine how good something looks.

if you want we can go on zooming 2000x any official screenshot of all existing crossge game. What you say makes no sense. again
I did NOT zoom in. That Image is full resolution but cropped to highlight one specific area

That is the exact same resolution as the original image and would fit perfectly into the original image at native resolution.

Original Image

Native Resolution Cropped Image - no zoom was utilized to establish this game natively looks painted on top of.

I'm one of the fans who saw the original content and DID NOT complain.

Please quit inferring I've altered the images to fit your false narrative.

We are now 8 months away from projected launch and these are the remaining visuals which is cause for concern

And specifically says 3 things.

Microsoft will delay

or

Microsoft will launch with the graphics in place currently

and

Spencer will come out and tell fans they intend to continue 'upgrading/enhancing' the game well after launch

It does not however, look like Microsoft's largest most important flagship title any longer - nor does it look like what Microsoft
should consider it's Biggest Major Next Gen Showcase.

So far what we have seen (and what I never commented on initially) is a tangible improvement graphically.

Does this tangible improvement, projected to release in another 8 months - do justice to Microsoft largest
most bleeding edge franchise?

Honestly...

It looks at best... a generation behind current standards. And some who disagree have taken to inferring I am a liar - and have altered the images native resolution by 'zooming' in - when all I actually did was crop the image without enlarging it's original resolution.

There are 10 year old Bethesda Titles that rival in parts what has been shown in these screenshots.

Original Vanilla Decade old Skyrim Matches and Exceeds this franchise visually in many areas depending on the picture you are viewing as of current.

This is the realization most seem to be ignoring after finally inspecting these new images with scrutiny currently.

And it's inexcusable.

Click for full resolution comparison. I unfortunately, had to crop the 4k Halo image to fit within size restraints
but neither image was altered in quality. In fact, I invite you to look at the full 4k Halo Image and Compare it
to the Original 1080p Vanilla Skyrim Image taken from setting's a decade old - in their own native states.

Original Vanilla Skyrim still in fact looks far superior in many areas.

And for Comparisons sake, I did crop the most similar region of the Halo 4k image to match the Skyrim Image

Staggering how Original Vanilla Skyrim looks better is it not?

Microsoft you awake in there?

qNJPpze.jpg

Last edited:
My apologies before hand, this reply was intended for the Halo 4k Images thread.

But - it was stated in the 4k Infinite Images thread cited I enlarged an image to fit a false narrative. This implies I physically enlarged an image over it's native resolution to make said image uglier.

Due to this, I'm leaving my response here to Negotiator who afterwards made a reply to another user seemingly targeting me, however as I looked through his various replies to figure out where this was said previously as his reply infers - I could not find citation- and MonarchJT who flatly insinuates on more than one occasion I've altered the image by enlarging the original resolution.

I did NOT zoom in. That Image is full resolution but cropped to highlight one specific area

That is the exact same resolution as the original image and would fit perfectly into the original image at native resolution.

Original Image

Native Resolution Cropped Image - no zoom was utilized to establish this game natively looks painted on top of.

We are now 8 months away from projected launch and these are the remaining visuals which is cause for concern

Microsoft will delay

or

and

Spencer will come out and tell fans they intend to continue 'upgrading/enhancing' the game well after launch

It does not however, look like Microsoft's largest most important flagship title any longer - nor does it look like what Microsoft

So far what we have seen (and what I never commented on initially) is a tangible improvement graphically.

Does this tangible improvement, projected to release in another 8 months - do justice to Microsoft largest

Honestly...

It looks at best... a generation behind current standards. And some who disagree have taken to inferring I am a liar - and have altered the images native resolution by 'zooming' in - when all I actually did was crop the image without enlarging it's original resolution.

There are 10 year old Bethesda Titles that rival in parts what has been shown in these screenshots.

Original Vanilla Decade old Skyrim Matches and Exceeds this franchise visually in many areas depending on the picture you are viewing as of current.

This is the realization most seem to be ignoring after finally inspecting these new images with scrutiny currently.

And it's inexcusable.

Click for full resolution comparison. I unfortunately, had to crop the 4k Halo image to fit within size restraints
but neither image was altered in quality. In fact, I invite you to look at the full 4k Halo Image and Compare it
to the 1080p Vanilla Skyrim Image taken from setting's a decade old - in their own native states.

qNJPpze.jpg

Just stop man, you are banned from the other thread for trolling and now you say Skyrim is better looking, a decade old game. You're embarrassing yourself, now have a good day.

Last edited:
Just stop man, you are banned from the other thread for trolling and now you say Skyrim is better looking, a decade old game. You're embarrassing yourself, now have a good day.
Firstly, I've had my replies stop due to sheer amount of 'likes' garnered on my comments in the past - with the notice 'you are receiving too much traffic, take a break' and have not been informed that I am banned one
way or the other in this particular instance.

Secondly, stop lying about how I've enlarged photo's to fit you and your compatriots false, lying narrative - its there for everyone to see now. You've both accused ME of photo manipulation, all I've done is cropped
and highlighted problem areas at native resolution. No zooming, no enlarging, no image manipulation outside of arrows, words, text and crops - just specific key problem areas cropped and highlighted. Not enlarged.

And now you blatantly ignore the fact that a decade old game looks better in the image I've posted, Original Vanilla Skyrim vs XSX 4k Halo , to bolster your own lies.

Grats, not only did you miss the point and insinuate my Original Vanilla Skyrim vs XSX 4k Halo photo comparison is not relevant to this thread simply on the fact that I mentioned you prior to posting... you've also proceeded to implicate yourself as a liar by offering nothing counter to your claim that I purely enlarged, manipulated... and zoomed beyond native resolution... into a photo to oversaturate blemishes. I didn't, and you're lies are now on full display along with your fellow instigator and pixel art enthusiasts friends.

Last edited:

cyen

Sure, their Screenshots are always super beautiful and exceptional looking, but I will judge on the live gameplay video.
With one more year development time and the craig meme, I hope they make it right.

Also I want ray-tracing in, if they delay to end of 2021 anyways

I advise you then to look to the E3 promo shots, I don't think you can call them "super beautiful".

I advise you then to look to the E3 promo shots, I don't think you can call them "super beautiful".
At least all the promo shots looked consistent, and visually at odds with what has been shown currently. The screenshots in fact painted an entirely different picture than the demo, which has been cited time and again.

And I have not been banned - accounts here are metered when you receive over 14 likes and your comment gets overwhelming traffic....

Also, I only have this account - please stop spreading disinformation.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Firstly, I've had my replies stop due to sheer amount of 'likes' garnered on my comments in the past - with the notice 'you are receiving too much traffic, take a break' and have not been informed that I am banned one

Secondly, stop lying about how I've enlarged photo's to fit you and your compatriots false, lying narrative - its there for everyone to see now. You've both accused ME of photo manipulation, all I've done is cropped
and highlighted problem areas at native resolution. No zooming, no enlarging, no image manipulation outside of arrows, words, text and crops - just specific key problem areas cropped and highlighted. Not enlarged.

And now you blatantly ignore the fact that a decade old game looks better in the image I've posted, Original Vanilla Skyrim vs XSX 4k Halo , to bolster your own lies.

Grats, not only did you miss the point and insinuate my Original Vanilla Skyrim vs XSX 4k Halo photo comparison is not relevant to this thread simply on the fact that I mentioned you prior to posting... you've also proceeded to implicate yourself as a liar by offering nothing counter to your claim that I purely enlarged, manipulated... and zoomed beyond native resolution... into a photo to oversaturate blemishes. I didn't, and you're lies are now on full display along with your fellow instigator and pixel art enthusiasts friends.
Now I see what they were talking about when they said lockdown affects mental health.

Just go outside for a bit dude, its nice.

cyen

At least all the promo shots looked consistent, and visually at odds with what has been shown currently. The screenshots in fact painted an entirely different picture than the demo, which has been cited time and again.

And I have not been banned - accounts here are metered when you receive over 14 likes and your comment gets overwhelming traffic....

Also, I only have this account - please stop spreading disinformation.

Man, just go outside a little bit, forever if possible.

I'll see you when Microsoft shows us gameplay, and we'll see if your Skyrim comparison holds up 😁

I'll see you when Microsoft shows us gameplay, and we'll see if your Skyrim comparison holds up 😁
I'm holding out to see that it does, but it wont if they plan to release in 8 months - I mean... if the pictures are any indication, some areas will look horrible....

some will look at least a bit better than a decade old game

and none of it will look truly next gen. Which is what Halo was when it launched on Xbox. And then again on 360. I assure you that comparison and assertion will hold up if the game is not delayed.

It will not live up to next gen standards, it will marginally in places look better than.. skyrim a decade old game - if we are lucky. And offer no true next gen leap in fidelity. And will still proceed to look
worse than older games.

FireFly

The texture on those Skyrim hills looks low res and muddy, and rocks in the foreground look like they have less detail. The shot also cuts off the vegetation at ground level, which is Infinite's stronger point.

It's fair to criticise the art style of Infinite, which seems to eschew a realistic depiction of certain elements like trees, for a more painterly rendering. But I don't think it's debateable from a technical perspective.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned

Original Image

Microsoft will delay

or

and

Honestly...

And it's inexcusable.

to the Original 1080p Vanilla Skyrim Image taken from setting's a decade old - in their own native states.

And for Comparisons sake, I did crop the most similar region of the Halo 4k image to match the Skyrim Image

Staggering how Original Vanilla Skyrim looks better is it not?

Microsoft you awake in there?

qNJPpze.jpg

I get you're a very very sad troll who does stuff like this to make you feel better about your unhappy younger years, but it actually shows how much father out the trees render and in a high quality in Infinite. You've zoomed in and compared the very closet trees of Skyrim to the tress in Infinite that are at the equivalent distance of the edge of the render distance in Skyrim. And it's close! when you add in how Infinite has more trees 2x further back, you did a great job showing how this FPS game has a better open world system than one of the GOAT games in that genre, good work soldier!

I can't put it down these days lol and I was never into shooters that much! I genuinely gave Halo a try (with the MCC & Halo 5) and could not get into it! But isn't Halo Infinite being designed to be like Destiny? Or something like it?

EDIT

Lol, you got offended by what I said but I wasn't putting down Halo.
Offended? Lol that's cute

What I'm hoping to see is lovingly crafted animation, environmental interaction, and independent systems that can lead to unpredictable results. Of course that's asking a WHOLE LOT but Halo has a huge development team and I'd love to see them push the art of game making forward as a first party blockbuster studio.

I get you're a very very sad troll who does stuff like this to make you feel better about your unhappy younger years, but it actually shows how much father out the trees render and in a high quality in Infinite. You've zoomed in and compared the very closet trees of Skyrim to the tress in Infinite that are at the equivalent distance of the edge of the render distance in Skyrim. And it's close! when you add in how Infinite has more trees 2x further back, you did a great job showing how this FPS game has a better open world system than one of the GOAT games in that genre, good work soldier!
I haven't zoomed in. That is a cropped image for comparison with a link to the non crop non edited version.

I can show everyone 4k images of Skyrim but if you're all equating a crop to physically enlarging and zooming into an image you certainly wont think 4k Skyrim images
that match the proportions of the Halo 4k images are fair game.

You'll all in chorus complain about how the images I'm using now are maybe even modded Skyrim, and cite that modded
Skyrim shouldn't be compared to a game meant to be a graphical showcase - that isn't even released yet.

But here, 4k Skyrim Images to compare against the original Halo 4k image posted here.

Original 4k Halo Image

4k Skyrim Images

Stuart360

Yeah using modded Skyrim isnt exactly fair. My modded Skyrim looks better than any game i have ever played, i'm not even exaggerating.
Also why is this paticular game being scrutinized with a fine tooth comb so intently?. This hasnt happened with other 'next gen' games really. And Infinite is coming to XB1 too remember.
I think these screens look great really.

I didn't just make the comparison with Modded Skyrim, which is still just Old Last Gen Skyrim with updated textures.

I made it with Original Vanilla Skyrim and a 1080p image and the results are still somehow 'unfair' and that I'm a liar who used Zoom on the Halo photo so that it looks worse.

A crop is not the same as enlarging or zooming into a photo so that it distorts blemishing the original photo, what I did has not distorted the source image and is completely Halo 4k at it's native resolution albeit
cropped to match 1080p dimensions. Overlay my crop atop the original photo and those citing such will clearly see the image has not been enlarged or altered and will fit seamlessly atop
the original source image when aligned correctly.

But it's STILL upsetting and should be to all fans of the franchise, and all consumers planning or who were planning to purchase - that Halo 4k can't manage to look better
than Decade Old (That is 10 YEARS people) Modded Skyrim.

Never before in the History of Gaming has this been an issue in the past, but now - 10 years later - a Texture Modded Skyrim that utilizes far less sophisticated shaders -
still outdoes fully 'Next Gen' Massive 1st Party Showcase Efforts and Franchises.

So of course games 2 and 5 years old will look Better than Halo. What's wrong with me pointing this out.

BUT

SINCE I KEEP GETTING ACCUSED OF BEING A LIAR

Here is a 4k Screenshot of SKYRIM - on PS4 PRO NON MODDED.

Compare it to Halo 4k And You will instantly see why everyone with eyes should be upset.

BEHOLD

ORIGINAL SE SKYRIM ON PS4 PRO VS NEW HALO

jp0FeJf.jpg

I actually had to SHRINK the Skyrim Image - it actually IS 4k in this instance - bringing to light the fact that
most of the Halo Images are in fact NOT 4k.

Original Skyrim Source Image

Image Credit: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-skyrim-special-edition-ps4-pro-face-off

Last edited:

FireFly

SINCE I KEEP GETTING ACCUSED OF BEING A LIAR

Here is a 4k Screenshot of SKYRIM - on PS4 PRO NON MODDED.

Compare it to Halo 4k And You will instantly see why everyone with eyes should be upset.

BEHOLD

ORIGINAL SE SKYRIM ON PS4 PRO VS NEW HALO

I actually had to SHRINK the Skyrim Image - it actually IS 4k in this instance - bringing to light the fact that
most of the Halo Images are in fact NOT 4k.

Original Skyrim Source Image

Image Credit: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-skyrim-special-edition-ps4-pro-face-off

The trees in the distance look nicer. The foreground looks worse, and the distant ground textures look worse as well. Essentially the main point you are highlighting is that the trees in Infinite look weird. You can do that without pretending that the (vanilla) graphics of a 9 year old game are comparable to one releasing in 2021.

Starfield

Since you appearantly never played Skyrim before I urge you to click on this link:

buy a copy of the game and then come back. Maybe you'll rethink your decisions again.

The trees in the distance look nicer. The foreground looks worse, and the distant ground textures look worse as well. Essentially the main point you are highlighting is that the trees in Infinite look weird. You can do that without pretending that the (vanilla) graphics of a 9 year old game are comparable to one releasing in 2021.
No the textures are inferior to next gen standards and only in fact hold up to Skyrim levels of quality at best, I've fixed the previous link so that it will enlarge properly when clicked if you care to look again. The ground textures in Skyrim are noticeably on par with what is present in Halo. The foreground and background essentially matches in quality what is seen in Halo.

In fact if we are speaking about textures, Halo as I have pointed out - has poor textures that only Match Skyrim, in the below image - the interior ground tiling is of the same quality or in fact better than what is shown in Halo currently.

If you are going to dispute this by citing counter, keep in mind I have highlighted multiple regions where
the textures of Halo are INFERIOR to Skyrim.

And this is to no one specifically.

If you are just going to say I am blind and it's obvious Halo has better textures, without forming a compelling meaningful dialogue or argument please continue to bury your head in the sand and ignore the insanely obvious inferiorities of Halo in it's current state as I have in multiple instances with numerous examples proved counter.

hlrKrsg.jpeg

oe5JAWO.jpg

Stuart360

No the textures are inferior to next gen standards and only in fact hold up to Skyrim levels of quality at best, I've fixed the previous link so that it will enlarge properly when clicked if you care to look again. The ground textures in Skyrim are noticeably on par with what is present in Halo. The foreground and background essentially matches in quality what is seen in Halo.

In fact if we are speaking about textures, Halo as I have pointed out - has poor textures that only Match Skyrim, in the below image - the interior ground tiling is of the same quality or in fact better than what is shown in Halo currently.

If you are going to dispute this by citing counter, keep in mind I have highlighted multiple regions where
the textures of Halo are INFERIOR to Skyrim.

And this is to no one specifically.

If you are just going to say I am blind and it's obvious Halo has better textures, without forming a compelling meaningful dialogue or argument please continue to bury your head in the sand and ignore the insanely obvious inferiorities of Halo in it's current state as I have in multiple instances with numerous examples proved counter.

hlrKrsg.jpeg

oe5JAWO.jpg
I know you have a lot invested in this for some reason, and your custom tag isnt giving me much hope, but you can cherry pick screenshots against tons of games and compare them to better looking games, and show a 'surprising result.
I mean you could compare that Skyrim pick to say Horizon zero Dawn, and i bet you could get that Skyrim pic looking better than a lot of lanscape shots from Horizon, but Horizon is CLEARLY a better looking game.

Having said all that, the Halo shot clearly looks better anyway. The Halo shot looks like some cgi landscape from a TV Sci-Fi show or something.

I know you have a lot invested in this for some reason, and your custom tag isnt giving me much hope, but you can cherry pick screenshots against tons of games and compare them to better looking games, and show a 'surprising result.
I mean you could compare that Skyrim pick to say Horizon zero Dawn, and i bet you could get that Skyrim pic looking better than a lot of lanscape shots from Horizon, but Horizon is CLEARLY a better looking game.

Having said all that, the Halo shot clearly looks better anyway. The Halo shot looks like some cgi landscape from a TV Sci-Fi show or something.
That Halo shot looks

no

where

near

CGI standards.

In fact none do.

Don't even mention the other game, if I were making the comparison with that game to this - it makes Halo look like a dinosaur.

Skyrim just barely proves Halo looks predated, old and last gen.

Compared to other games that actually do live up to some minimal CGI standards - and Halo currently doesn't even have a chance.

What, that's ok though? The game looks old, ugly, dated and last gen - barely manages Skyrim level fidelity and everyone is sooo disheartened that it's ok somehow?

No.

Continue to ignore me, I advise you all to if you can't handle plain facts. And visual proof providing in depth
examples of why Halo in it's current form looks ugly.

The fact is, without cherry picking - just sourcing random images from the internet - mainly - being constrained to a handful of 4k images from PS4 Pro
as I could only find what I linked (which underscores all the 'cherry picking' claims and proves opposite as the images I could find are too limited to 'cherry pick' from)
I've still managed to prove Halo Currently in fact looks INFERIOR to a 10 YEAR OLD SKYRIM. Without 'Cherry Picked' anything and with MULTIPLE NUMEROUS CITATIONS.

Last edited:
I will say or mention this, it is POSSIBLE - these screenshot are running on PC - at Xbox One settings but at higher resolution. This is the only
possible resolution that one could hope for when purely judging this game based on graphics as a next gen title based on what we have seen.

If that is the case, and they are showing us low detail images - we are very lucky.

Otherwise, one would hope they either have the assets on hand to quickly resolve the issues many - myself included have pointed out.

But instead of a delay to correct these issues, if the above isn't happening - I expect a release asap - with ongoing updates to resolve issues and improve the game

which is very concerning really.

clarky

Gold Member
Very Concerning? The on going global pandemic is very concerning, Tiger woods I would expect is very concerned about his broken legs. A bunch of screen shots from an upcoming videogame that you pulled out of your ass are not.

'Lets all ignore the fact that Halo Looks worse than Skyrim due to outside non mitigating factors, bury your heads everyone Halo Graphics look inferior on all fronts but it's a non issue - also don't play games and have a good time or enjoy good graphics or engage in meaningful gaming discussion or enjoy Xbox Series X/PC mmk'

I'll ignore you.

And yeah, as a fan of good games and graphical splendor on a gaming forum if nothing else - and moving the graphical bar forward. Very concerning. But you are free to concern yourself about the mundane. Go outside, take a breather. You obviously need to.

Last edited:

Stuart360

'Lets all ignore the fact that Halo Looks worse than Skyrim due to outside non mitigating factors, bury your heads everyone Halo Graphics looking inferior on all fronts but it's a non issue - also don't play games and have a good time or enjoy good graphics on Xbox Series X/PC mmk'

And yeah, as a fan of good games and graphical splendor on a gaming forum if nothing else - and moving the graphical bar forward. Very concerning. But you are free to concern yourself about the mundane. Go outside, take a breather. You obviously need to.
What the hell is wrong with you?, you are like obsessed over this. As your tag says, you wont be here long.

I said they should make my tag read that, and someone was kind enough to oblige.

Think, since no one has offered compelling or even meaningful counter arguments - I'll go back to enjoying my day. Enjoy worrying about everything else but gaming, on a gaming forum.

Meanwhile it's still obvious MS has to do something about those inferior Halo Graphics.

Last edited:
Also, I wish the screenshots released showed assets of similar quality - the armor sets screenshot looks far better in quality than the first person
view asset (weapon and hands seem of lower detail then what is shown in full)
halo-infinite-december-update.jpg

cyen

Also, I wish the screenshots released showed assets of similar quality - the armor sets screenshot looks far better in quality than the first person
view asset (weapon and hands seem of lower detail then what is shown in full)
halo-infinite-december-update.jpg

I wish you would take your spam postings that no one cares or agrees elsewhere.

Top Bottom