• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inside Unreal: In-depth look at PS5's Lumen in the land Of Nanite demo(only 6.14gb of geometry) and Deep dive into Nanite

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Omg, are some really that braindead? YES it's running on the PC inside the editor, but it's just editor mode not gameplay mode or compiled.

You have no idea what you are talking about. In editor mode you don't use game mechanics at all which only become active once you have your scene compiled where at that moment you release all features including physics, I/O, animation, destruction, different and dynamic lighting, sound vfx.

It is not difficult at all to understand that in editor mode all these features are not called upon, so you can't use that as a benchmark against the PS5 demo because we need to see the exact same demo running on the PC, and only then can we follow the difference in performance. You can only start optimizing after you have seen how your code runs with all the features. In editor mode you can't see that and it's not a benchmark...
You really think an engine editor is going to utilize less resources than a demo that didn't really have any mechanics other than walking and flying?

You certainly can't use it as a benchmark.. but you have it incredibly backwards here. The editor is far more resource heavy than anything the demo is doing once compiling, guarantee that.

Funny how you just hiding behind others their comment, with some stupid gif, but you don’t know shit yourself.
We've all explained it to you multiple times. It's you who doesn't get it. And it's painful obvious that multiple of us have pointed it out to you.

It has the entire level loaded in at once, with all the tools, and effects at your disposal. No way a baked demo can use more resources. I mean just looking at how much resources are used in the baked demo vs the engine is very telling...

You really think an engine editor is going to utilize less resources than a demo that didn't really have any mechanics other than walking and flying?

You certainly can't use it as a benchmark.. but you have it incredibly backwards here. The editor is far more resource heavy than anything the demo is doing once compiling, guarantee that.
Hopefully homie gets it after like 10 ppl have said this now.

Last edited by a moderator:

GymWolf

238cb3f2de91dec0b8fa178eeffab33d.gif

Three

A respectful person should always admit something wrong when it's obvious/convinced. But I will never trust his words ever again and always will question his takes. What made him believable is that no one came out with the RAM argument, I think.
VFXVeteran did. RAM is even faster storage than an SSD after all. The issue is that people are downplaying fast storage like it provides nothing in these demos. Those people are wrong.

UnNamed

Banned
I respect your opinion but to me Ratchet & Clank and Horizon FW look next gen. if no one said Horizon is also on ps4, people would behave differently now.
amount of stuff happening in R&C,down and in the air, the foliage, pedestrians, puddles, animals, one box breaks in like thousand pieces...
I've never seen foliage that dense as Horizon, never seen underwater parts look that good and populated, water is clear near the beach, sun rays in the forest,
sand, concrete that was in the water is full of sea shells...
No one has ever said Ratchet and Horizon aren't impressive, I for one find Horizon very impressive and a big step from HZD. But the tools are totally different and it shows their limits. At the same time, for now we have only see terrain and other few materials in the U5, there is still lot of work to do.

Lethal01

don't forget sony only gave us the sequential read and write numbers but a ssd has more performance metrics, an important one is sustained performance.

not saying ps5 io is not impressive but perhaps its realworld application is not drastically as big as the numbers imply. another epic china leak was that sony gone with that many queue lanes was a cost saving one, they can use cheaper nand.

You got it backwards
The thing I still dont get. When using Nanite, with these high def meshes (scan or zbrush), is there no longer a use for normal maps? Like do you just sculpt something in zbrush, texture it, UV unwrap it, bake BC, Rough, Metal, and AO and then drop it into Unreal and let nanite do its thing?

If they are using substance painter for texturing, how are they loading these massive meshes into that program without crashing it?

I really need to download UE5 and give this a try.

Epic needs to to do a "Developing High Def meshes for Nanite" course. This is a completely new work flow that no other engine uses currently.

No, you can still have more detail my using an 8k normal map

Lethal01

If I was a fraud, I would have been dismissed from the forums long ago. I told people the reality of how a rendering pipeline works and what the limitations were. It

Problem is while you say tons of stuff thats obviously true you surround it with tons of stuff that's obviously bullshit and then admit you are doing things specifically to "get back" at Playstation fans. That affects your credibility far more than whether you are in the industry or not.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Omg, are some really that braindead? YES it's running on the PC inside the editor, but it's just editor mode not gameplay mode or compiled.

You have no idea what you are talking about. In editor mode you don't use game mechanics at all which only become active once you have your scene compiled where at that moment you release all features including physics, I/O, animation, destruction, different and dynamic lighting, sound vfx.

It is not difficult at all to understand that in editor mode all these features are not called upon, so you can't use that as a benchmark against the PS5 demo because we need to see the exact same demo running on the PC, and only then can we follow the difference in performance. You can only start optimizing after you have seen how your code runs with all the features. In editor mode you can't see that and it's not a benchmark...
i can say for sure this is true.
why that happened i don't know.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
It was more than a given that the most universal, versatile, multi-platform engine on the planet will be... exactly that, even more than ever. Some people just prefered to reject facts, deny reality, some still can't handle the truth it seems, but it's only their own problem, and the absolutely funniest thing is that all studios of their beloved brand use their own proprietary engines and won't switch to UE.

I personally cannot wait to see how the engine performs once DirectStorage and DLSS are implemented, this thing will run circles around consoles even on laptops.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Problem is while you say tons of stuff thats obviously true you surround it with tons of stuff that's obviously untrue and that affects your credibility far more than whether you are in the industry or not.
I don't blantantly say something that's not true. For example, I know exactly how a light loop works and I know the limitations of using forward vs. deferred rednering. If you are saying I say something that's untrue due to what the general consensus believes (i.e. a subjective opinion), then I can't help you there. Me making predictions that turn out to be not true isn't a lie. It's a prediction that turned out to be inaccurate. I readily admit that I don't know everything going on in the industry, but this entire showboat of the UE5 was just that - a showboat. And me being a technical developer, saw it right away. It's not my fault that people mix and match what I say to blanketly apply it to *everything* I say. Because 9/10, I'm going to be right - especially concerning tech stuff.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Finally caught up.

It seems everyone has gotten all that... stuff.. out of their systems.
Another exciting note from the talk is that they are confident they will be able to achieve MUCH better compression in the very near future.

I don't blantantly say something that's not true.

I'm not about to take 30 minutes to dig through your post to quote the dumb shit that has came out of your mouth and the smugness and insults thrown at people who disagreed with you. So I'll just just bookmark this for next time. Try not to get banned again before then.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
VFXVeteran did. RAM is even faster storage than an SSD after all. The issue is that people are downplaying fast storage like it provides nothing in these demos. Those people are wrong.

Everything matters and helps to have even more efficient system. Downplaying I/O throughput is like downplaying next DDR5, HBM2 and GDDR6X, bandwidth speeds. Every increased speed will benefit the whole system. Having faster throughput helps with better RAM/VRAM utilization.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

Yes. And it was not just walking and flying, moving mechanics, physics, sound, destruction...i don't know what you have seen? Everything in the background also matters.

No it's not....see my recorded video in UE5 editor:

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Yes. And it was not just walking and flying, moving mechanics, physics, sound, destruction...i don't know what you have seen? Everything in the background also matters.

No it's not....

Youtube is still processing my recorded session from the UE5 editor, so i will edit my post later.

You think PCs would handle physics or destruction worse? Pcs with way more CPU/GPU power?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You think PCs would handle physics or destruction worse? Pcs with way more CPU/GPU power?

Where do you see my comparison with the PS5? That's not the discussion here...

The discussion was (since some of you are claiming it), that editor mode would be more resource heavy then in UE5 compiled (Play) mode, and that's not true and since the video they released today was in editor mode...you can't say "SEEEEE IT CAN RUN ON THE PC" since it's not running at all with all features enabled, since that was not the purpose of that video and is not what editor mode is for.

So we have YET to see it playable on the PC from start to finish before people start claiming that it would run the same on every platform. It's scalable, it would run on everything, but the question is HOW!

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So you believe it was real now on the PS5?

I mean the dude is running it on his PC.

I dont believe, after the latest engine demo release and footage that was supposedly 1080p at 30 fps scaled to 4k that the PS5 could run the original demo at 1440p 30 fps, no.

I think Epic just needs to release the actual demo...Like i've said from the beginning. If it is real, prove it.

Last edited:

elliot5

The discussion was (since some of you are claiming it), that editor mode would be more resource heavy then in UE5 compiled (Play) mode.
By nature of running in-editor, whether it's flying through a scene or hitting play mode, it will run worse than a packaged native app. Things like destruction and physics and game code aren't being run while flying through the map, yes, but that isn't as expensive compared to rendering the assets and lighting which is also achieved in editor. It's barely a scratch in comparison to the workload of the mesh and light rendering.

So yes, you can't do apples to apples comparison, but when a lot of people claimed the environment and ability to move through said environment quickly was only achievable on one system due to its I/O, it's clearly not the case when that environment is being moved through and rendered on the fly.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
By nature of running in-editor, whether it's flying through a scene or hitting play mode, it will run worse than a packaged native app. Things like destruction and physics and game code aren't being run while flying through the map, yes, but that isn't as expensive compared to rendering the assets and lighting which is also achieved in editor. It's barely a scratch in comparison to the workload of the mesh and light rendering.

So yes, you can't do apples to apples comparison, but when a lot of people claimed the environment and ability to move through said environment quickly was only achievable on one system due to its I/O, it's clearly not the case when that environment is being moved through and rendered on the fly.

Just posted my video, see my post above:

- Editor mode (same as the EPIC video): Not resource heavy, higher framerate and i can fly fast if i want, change object, make them larger etc.

- Play mode: Well you see how the fps is much lower and dips in heavy scenes.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The discussion was (since some of you are claiming it), that editor mode would be more resource heavy then in UE5 compiled (Play) mode, and that's not true and since the video they released today was in editor mode...you can't say "SEEEEE IT CAN RUN ON THE PC" since it's not running at all with all features enabled, since that was not the purpose of that video and is not what editor mode is for.

So we have YET to see it playable on the PC from start to finish before people start claiming that it would run the same on every platform. It's scalable, it would run on everything, but the question is HOW!

Would be interesting to see a benchmark of this demo and the new one on PS5 with open framerates to compare.

Last edited:
I dont believe, after the latest engine demo release and footage that was supposedly 1080p at 30 fps scaled to 4k that the PS5 could run the original demo at 1440p 30 fps, no.

I think Epic just needs to release the actual demo...Like i've said from the beginning. If it is real, prove it.

Well the demo is real he's running it off his PC. It's not like he's using a render farm or anything. This proves that it can be run in realtime on a PC. Can't see why it isn't possible on the PS5. Not to mention they said multiple times it was captured off a PS5.

Last edited:

Lethal01

- Editor mode (same as the EPIC video): Not resource heavy, higher framerate and i can fly fast if i want, change object, make them larger etc.

And what about the compiled version of the demo?

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Finally caught up.

It seems everyone has gotten all that... stuff.. out fo their systems.

And what about the compiled version of the demo?

That's the play mode, just watch the video (active level editor viewport), since the default editor mode is not actively running game mechanics.

That's the difference I was talking about all along.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Where does epic state this?

I'm talking about the I/O and custom chip in ps5 that is dedicated to the decompression, compression of data that has a direct pipe to the SSD and vram.

There's nothing like it on pc. There are no custom chips running on pc that is talking to the SSD that runs separate from CPU. It's coming down the line or something similar in the issue it's help mitigating with chiplet/v-cache going forward. But even that is a while year or 2 away.

So far nothing in the pc space for I/O controller and custom chips exists yet.

sainraja

This is the same demo ps5 ran. So 8k assets and all, within the editor. And yes people said it wasn't possible to run this demo on PC. They were saying that in last year's thread, the thread VFXVeteran VFXVeteran made, and the one with this year's demo. I'm pretty sure in other threads as well like the coalition one, etc.

We all knew that was bs though. And now it's time for people to enjoy the extra salt with a side of crow.
No, people didn't say it wouldn't run on PC and the best you were able to do in providing proof of that was twitter quotes. The ones you tried highlighting as evidence on this forum weren't good examples because those people did acknowledge that the PC is able to run the demo.

I have only the most basic understanding of this entire thread here, but after looking at what Epic is bringing to the table with this tech, I think Sony made the right choice hardware wise.

I know the concept of "future proofing", especially on console, is a bit silly, but hear me out. As games get bigger and take advantage of ever more advancing SSD and decompression technology (especially on PC); Sony is going to have an easier time transitioning to something like a PS5 Pro to stay competitive with future PC capabilities. After all, if you're going to come out with beefed up hardware, you should probably make sure your storage capabilities on your base hardware will still be relevant in the years to come. Hopefully relevant enough to still not be holding back developers by then. Maybe it makes things much easier by simply bumping up RAM, CPU, and GPU performance if that day comes.

If that ends up being the case, Sony made the right choice putting most of their eggs in that basket. I see this paying dividends in the future. Can't even imagine what a Pro version of PS5/Series X could be capable of considering the move to MCM and 3-D stacking. Anyway, am I talking out my ass here? This make sense?

Last edited:
No, people didn't say it wouldn't run on PC and the best you were able to do in providing proof of that was twitter quotes. The ones you tried highlighting as evidence on this forum weren't good examples because those people did acknowledge that the PC is able to run the demo.
What are you talking about? I posted several quotes from people on GAF saying that specific demo could not run on PC in another thread. I'm not sure why it's any of your concern in the first place either or what's your obsession with me + unreal.

People said it couldn't run this exact demo or would be lowered quality, and here it is, full quality and all. Proof is in the pudding and OP. Redemption is a great feeling.

harmny

Banned

who's going to tell this guy that he is just playing the demo IN the editor. and all of us are talking about a COMPILED demo (as an .exe like vfxveretan's thread). i don't want to break their heart. the guy spent all day recording a video for nothing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

from more to less resource intensive
Playing the demo in the editor (snake's video) > Exploring the project in the demo in the editor (epic's video) > Playing a compiled demo (ps5's demo)

Last edited:
who's going to tell this guy that he is just playing the demo IN the editor. and all of us are talking about a COMPILED demo (as an .exe like vfxveretan's post). i don't want to break their heart. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Playing the demo in the editor (snake's video) > Exploring the project in the demo in the editor (epic's video) > Playing a compiled demo (ps5's demo)
I kept saying baked, cooked, and compiled. But I don't think he gets what that means, while calling other people stupid or inexperienced with the engine. The irony... And yup, that's the exact order from most intensive to least intensive resource wise.

Last edited:

Fredrik

We don’t know the settings they used on the PS5 demo so there is no way to do the benchmark you ask for. But you have the demo so why are you still doubting what you could do with the engine on PC? The Valley demo runs at 30fps capped on Epic settings even on my 1080ti, just pushed it up to 60fps as well with Medium settings.

Vick

I don't blantantly say something that's not true.
You do it all the time.

The most recents off the top of my head: The Order: 1886 only used SSS in cutscenes. Naughty Dog games only feature baked static lighting and no PS game does real-time GI:

Uncharted doesn't use SSS in gameplay, Spider-Man doesn't implement SSS in gameplay, there's more assets/shaders in Marvel's Avengers than in Uncharted 4 and Spider-Man.

You want to spin your infamous statement "Zero Dawn on PC will look better than the sequel on PS5" as incorrect prediction, fine, but you constantly say incorrect stuff passed off as facts about games you're not very knowledgeable about.

Then of course this doesn't mean you weren't completely right on the topic this Thread is about.

Last edited:

sainraja

This is precisely the point people are trying to make here..."EDITOR". Hey is not talking about the I/O stuff since that's not part of this demo and wouldn't be the same on PC, Xbox and PS5.

You are focused on the word "misconception" but not what he actually means and what the difference is between the PS5 demo and an editor demonstration.

VFXVeteran VFXVeteran This whole discussion is that people claim that this is "running" the same as the PS5 demo. Well, it's not RUNNING anything with all bells and whistles enabled since in editor you create, build, move all assets.

Like i said before, run the Valley demo and you can clearly see a difference in performance between editor mode and gameplay. Also they are not showing any of the I/O tech around here in this demo, because it was all in editor.
Does it really matter if it is running in EDITOR mode or not? PCs are more than capable of running what we saw on the PS5 with the right hardware. What I am trying to say is, whether or not what we see here is the same as exact thing as the PS5 demo, that demo is playable on a PC with the right hardware.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
who's going to tell this guy that he is just playing the demo IN the editor. and all of us are talking about a COMPILED demo (as an .exe like vfxveretan's thread). i don't want to break their heart. the guy spent all day recording a video for nothing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So then again, what i was saying is true...in editor is not resource heavy. That's something you guys trying to push constantly. Epic showed the same thing, in editor so there is no way you can compare that with the PS5 demo that was completely running on different hardware.

So far as i know, they haven't shown the demo playable on the pc (not in public), just the whole scene in editor.

My point is very clear!

Does it really matter if it is running in EDITOR mode or not? PCs are more than capable of running what we saw on the PS5 with the right hardware. What I am trying to say is, whether or not what we see here is the same as exact thing as the PS5 demo, that demo is playable on a PC with the right hardware.

Well i showed what my point was. Editor mode is not heavy, gameplay is shows how every feature runs at the same time.

We don’t know the settings they used on the PS5 demo so there is no way to do the benchmark you ask for. But you have the demo so why are you still doubting what you could do with the engine on PC? The Valley demo runs at 30fps capped on Epic settings even on my 1080ti, just pushed it up to 60fps as well with Medium settings.

Doubting what? Did i said i was doubting that the PC could run UE5....? The engine is just ONE part of everything else. I bet my PC wouldn't perform the same if they ever release the PS5 demo for pc. I can already say that some of the heavy parts in that demo will cause heavy drops since assets won't load that fast on our NVMe drives compared to the dedication I/O chips the PS5 has.

Much less happens in this valley demo than in the PS5 demo, and not even completely stable in that little bit of combat you have at the end.

PettyLoathsomeGreatargus-size_restricted.gif

This last part will be much more resource heavy then the entire Valley demo.

Last edited:

sainraja

I might be wrong as I haven't followed the entire conversation but Snake's been saying what you are trying to point out here and you're laughing at him, when you are pointing out the exact same thing? And the other guy (because of who, I believe, he even made the video to clarify) is just flexing because he happens to know industry jargon better than others and oddly enough agrees with you when he's been the one arguing with him? lol what is going on here.

If there is a compiled demo, you should just point him towards that and end the discussion.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
So then again, what i was saying is true...in editor is not resource heavy. That's something you guys trying to push constantly. Epic showed the same thing, in editor so there is no way you can compare that with the PS5 demo that was completely running on different hardware.

So far as i know, they haven't shown the demo playable on the pc (not in public), just the whole scene in editor.

My point is very clear!

Well i showed what my point was. Editor mode is not heavy, gameplay is shows how every feature runs at the same time.
I might be wrong as I haven't followed the entire conversation but Snake's been saying what you are trying to point out here and you're laughing at him, when you are pointing out the exact same thing? And the other guy (because of who, I believe, he even made the video to clarify) is just flexing because he happens to know industry jargon better than others and oddly enough agrees with you when he's been the one arguing with him? lol what is going on here.

If there is a compiled demo, you should just point him towards that and end the discussion.

ok let me rescale a little bit so you understand.

Playing the demo in the editor (like in snake's video) > Exploring the demo in the editor (epic's video of the ps5 demo running on pc) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Playing a compiled demo (ps5's demo)

epic didn't show the compiled ps5 demo running on pc. but as you can see on my amazing comparison even just exploring the demo in the editor on pc is WAY more taxing than playing a compiled demo. therefore a pc can run the compiled demo easily the same way a ps5 ran the compiled demo.

this is like saying that a ps5 is more powerful than a pixar workstation because you can watch a 4k toy story blu ray on it while the people at pixar can't even play the film in realtime because each frame takes hours to render.

Last edited:
I love how Sony fanboys refuse to believe what an actual dev is saying. This is like refusing what Cerny said about PS5 being a 10TF machine.

People were banned left and right for "9TF".

Sony fanboys have been shitting up UE5 threads for the past 2-3 weeks. It's gotten really annoying.

lol. Sure mods, whatever.

Oh now I understand why you wanted to leave. I was curious about that.

As for the red I think we are way past calling the PS5 a 8TF/9TF machine with the official specs.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
ok let me rescale a little bit so you understand.

Playing the demo in the editor (like in snake's video) > Exploring the demo in the editor (epic's video of the ps5 demo running on pc) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Playing a compiled demo (ps5's demo)

is that clear enough?

epic didn't show the compiled ps5 demo running on pc. but as you can see on my amazing comparison even just exploring the demo in the editor on pc is WAY more taxing than playing a compiled demo. therefore a pc can run the compiled demo easily the same way a ps5 ran the compiled demo.

this is like saying that a ps5 is more powerful than a pixar workstation because you can watch a 4k toy story blu ray on it while the people at pixar can't even play the film in realtime because each frame takes hours to render.

Did you even watched my video? Their complete 15 min video is in editor and not play mode (see icons on the top right). My video is showing both editor (beginning) and play mode.

You are still trying to make a point that i already made several times in this thread. IT's NOT RESOURCE HEAVY IN EDITOR (SEE FPS COUNT).

therefore a pc can run the compiled demo easily the same way a ps5 ran the compiled demo.

We don't know that, since we haven't seen it and like i said, those heavy scenes can be better optimized for the PS5 SSD and I/O controller. And since pc hardware is not the same for everyone, not everyone will ever have the same performance.

Sorry i still don't know how your point is different from what i clarified with facts for the Valley demo.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I asked you a question. That's the discussion if you choose to answer. What about those gameplay systems do you think would give a PC trouble?

I don't think it would run the same on every platform; considering we've ruled out that the PS5's I/O is likely to be being stressed, it's almost guaranteed the demo would run at a higher framerate and/or resolution on a high end PC.

What do you think?

Did you even watched my video? Their complete 15 min video is in editor and not play mode (see icons on the top right). My video is showing both editor (beginning) and play mode.

You are still trying to make a point that i already made several times in this thread. IT's NOT RESOURCE HEAVY IN EDITOR (SEE FPS COUNT).
Ok let's rewind a little.

Do you know what it means to compile the game into an executable? It means you can export the project into a standalone file. This standalone file would not require the editor too be running at all.

Stay with me here. This standalone file would require way less resources than running the editor and flying around, or hitting the play button within the editor.

Also, anyone can run the executable without having unreal engine, aka ps5 demo.

Anchovie123

Nothing has changed and Tim Sweeney didn't lie.

Peoples mistake (myself included) was putting UE5 on too high of a pedestal when reality is it doesnt even scratch the surface of whats possible with PS5s I/O. PS5 can transfer/decompress 9gb/sec+ of data without any CPU/GPU overhead. We're just getn started fellas, strap yourselves in.

61b23100addb0a87afaeabbb087b9ba5.gif

I don't think it would run the same on every platform; considering we've ruled out that the PS5's I/O is likely to be being stressed, it's almost guaranteed the demo would run at a higher framerate and/or resolution on a high end PC.

What do you think?

Makes me wonder what games stressing out the PS5s I/O are going to be like. I mean I know we have Ratchet coming out soon but I don't know if it's pushing the consoles I/O. I'm curious as to what's needed to make those types of games work on PC?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I asked you a question. That's the discussion if you choose to answer. What about those gameplay systems do you think would give a PC trouble?

What do you think?

I do not believe it will run the scene at the end of the demo completely smooth on the pc SSD's/NVMe drives.

This will hurt our pc storage. If Tim and his team is right, this is what they wanted to show what is optimized for the PS5. I'm not seeing sata SSD's or NVMe's running this whole part completely smooth.

Last edited:
I think instead of some folks arguing needlessly over if this system or the other can run this very specific segment of a demo from last year or whatever, we should instead be happy that the hardware requirements for that demo are this low (in terms of occupied resources).

Why? Because it means we can expect REAL games on both PS5 and Series X to be able to match or exceed the fidelity in that UE5 demo from last year, within 3-4 years from now. In fact we're already seeing some games here and there getting near that demo in some smaller aspects, here and there, right now. So imagine where big-budget AAA games for PS5 & Series X systems will be fidelity-wise by 2024/2025. ..

We'll be seeing stuff by then that makes the UE5 demo (both of them) look like utter child's play.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I think instead of some folks arguing needlessly over if this system or the other can run this very specific segment of a demo from last year or whatever, we should instead be happy that the hardware requirements for that demo are this low (in terms of occupied resources).

Why? Because it means we can expect REAL games on both PS5 and Series X to be able to match or exceed the fidelity in that UE5 demo from last year, within 3-4 years from now. In fact we're already seeing some games here and there getting near that demo in some smaller aspects, here and there, right now. So imagine where big-budget AAA games for PS5 & Series X systems will be fidelity-wise by 2024/2025. ..

We'll be seeing stuff by then that makes the UE5 demo (both of them) look like utter child's play.

Yup, talent will make games great, as always.

Haggard

Banned
I do not believe it will run the scene at the end of the demo completely smooth on the pc SSD's/NVMe drives.

This will hurt our pc storage. If Tim and his team is right, this is what they wanted to show what is optimized for the PS5. I'm not seeing sata SSD's or NVMe's running this whole part completely smooth.

I'd accuse you of grasping for straws but that would be inaccurate since there are absolutely no straws you could hope for here.
You phrased it very correctly with you "believe" ......
It's not based on anything and goes against what a multiplatform engine is supposed to do and what even the devs themselves stated but you still do, anyways.
Good for you, I guess........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom