• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac Games says it’s open to more Marvel titles

Am I really the only one who wants to see a current gen spiritual successor to this?

51ZJAR147PL.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I for one am shocked they would be interested in printing more money with a Marvel franchise.

They do great work, I'd love to see more.

AlexxKidd

Uhh, we need more Spidey! This game is incredible! Theres just too much more to explore and build on, we dont even have the alien symbiote suit for fuck's sake!

PsyEd

Apart from wolverine and spidey...no other heros from marvel applead to me. I think they will definitely end up doing a Spider-Man 2 with insomniac...as the sales figure looking better by the day

WaterAstro

Anyone like the idea of cross multiverse with Miles Spiderman and Spider Gwen? Maybe like the upcoming animated movie.

There have been many Ironman games. All poor. And I think it is the same reason there has never been a good Superman game. When your character can fly, he is impossible to keep grounded. Pun intended. Its much harder to design interesting game mechanics when your character has that much freedom to move around.

Thats why Batman has had decent games. And Spiderman now has a couple. And even The Hulk to an extent. Because these non free flying heros obey ground based rules that make sense to convert into video game mechanics.

xviper

i prefer if they made Sunset 2 or another Ratchet and clank

Spider-man was VERY repetitive, you will not see many people admit that because fan boys will be fan boys, i'm sure if it wasn't exclusive it would probably score in the 70s on MC

Larxia

Honestly not really interested if they keep aiming for 30 fps, I know I may sound boring for some by saying this, but for me a super hero game usually needs to be something very fast paced, fun, with good traversal mechanics and such, and a low framerate is really holding down games like this.
Not saying Spider-Man, or other 30 fps games are bad or unplayable, but they would be, in my opinion, much better and more satifsying at 60 fps. That's why I'm not fan of the idea of Insomniac doing all marvel titles, since that would mean only 30 fps super heroes games.

Am I really the only one who wants to see a current gen spiritual successor to this?

51ZJAR147PL.jpg
As I was playing through Spiderman this weekend I actually texted one of my friends that I wanted Insomniac to redo Hulk Ultimate Destruction. That game was SO freaking fun. Spiritual successor would be even better tho, or just give me a DLC where I can run around in Spiderman as Hulk! *drool.

Last edited:
i prefer if they made Sunset 2 or another Ratchet and clank

Spider-man was VERY repetitive, you will not see many people admit that because fan boys will be fan boys, i'm sure if it wasn't exclusive it would probably score in the 70s on MC

Not being a smartass here but what would you suggest adding to the game to make it not repetitive? There's little hacking puzzles, stealth sections, suit powers that change up combat, Peter Parker walkabout scenes... It's a spiderman game where you're spiderman, and do spiderman things. Aren't all games technically repetitive in that they rely on their gimmicks to get you through to the end?

Last edited:

xviper

Not being a smartass here but what would you suggest adding to the game to make it not repetitive? There's little hacking puzzles, stealth sections, suit powers that change up combat, Peter Parker walkabout scenes... It's a spiderman game where you're spiderman, and do spiderman things. Aren't all games technically repetitive in that they rely on their gimmicks to get you through to the end?

the side activities are a joke, they are mostly collectibles, there should be a meaningful story in the side quests (there is barely any side quests), there should be mini-games, buildings or stores to explore, enemy variety, lots of bosses with unique strategies to beat other than just mashing square , and melee combat needs a lot more moves

i know many may disagree, but i feel the game could benefit from adding choices that alter the story, imagine going the bad route, you become black suit spiderman, instead of doing generic things like saving the city, maybe you become it's fall, i don't know much about Marvel universe but maybe there is another hero in the spider man comics that may show up and stand against you, or some villain locked hostages in 2 separate buildings with timed bombs and you have to make a choice on who to save ( similar to the Dark Knight scene), the one you save unlocks a different path for the story and different quests

i know it's too much to expect from Insomniac, but that's what i would say is an amazing super-hero game, not some generic repetitive game praised for it's exclusivity

Last edited:

Pallas

I’d like to see an open world x-men game. Maybe even have something like “create your own mutant” setup with an entirely original story line involving the group and the school.

the side activities are a joke, they are mostly collectibles, there should be a meaningful story in the side quests (there is barely any side quests), there should be mini-games, buildings or stores to explore, enemy variety, lots of bosses with unique strategies to beat other than just mashing square , and melee combat needs a lot more moves

i know many may disagree, but i feel the game could benefit from adding choices that alter the story, imagine going the bad route, you become black suit spiderman, instead of doing generic things like saving the city, maybe you become it's fall, i don't know much about Marvel universe but maybe there is another hero in the spider man comics that may show up and stand against you, or some villain locked hostages in 2 separate buildings with timed bombs and you have to make a choice on who to save ( similar to the Dark Knight scene), the one you save unlocks a different path for the story and different quests

i know it's too much to expect from Insomniac, but that's what i would say is an amazing super-hero game, not some generic repetitive game praised for it's exclusivity

So you wanted more of like an Infamous type game but with Spider-Man... I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Sony or Disney would allow one of their most iconic heroes to go around creating havock and destroying everything it's counter intuitive to the brand that their building with the marvel cinematic universe. I thought the variety was great and seemed to have much more variance than say for example the arkham games (minus the batmobile one of course.) I'm absolutely loving it and I'd love it just as much if it was multiplat... can't please everyone I guess.

HyGogg

Banned
I think Spider-Man 2 is pretty much a given at this point. It looks on pace to be to be one of the best selling Sony games this gen. When all is said and done it could even be the #1.

Insomniac has two studios and a bunch of internal teams though, so it's not as if they can only work on one (or two) things are once. They put out I think 5 other games while Spider-Man was in development.

I'm real excited for Stormland. The mechanics look insanely fun, I just hope they throw enough content at it to keep it fresh.

AlexxKidd

So you wanted more of like an Infamous type game but with Spider-Man... I understand what you're saying, but I don't think Sony or Disney would allow one of their most iconic heroes to go around creating havock and destroying everything it's counter intuitive to the brand that their building with the marvel cinematic universe. I thought the variety was great and seemed to have much more variance than say for example the arkham games (minus the batmobile one of course.) I'm absolutely loving it and I'd love it just as much if it was multiplat... can't please everyone I guess.

220px-Forbidden-151987.svg.png

Fnord

So is just about everything they're doing in the comics right now. Unfortunately.

Fordfx2

Every one thinks Heroes, Why not a straight up Villainous game? I'd love to be a Super-Villain causing chaos in a game instead of saving the city/planet? We have plenty to choose from! I'm all for Insomniac taking on another AAA Marvel game. They killed it with this new Spider-man!

avalonzero

I get that Spiderman 2 seems like an obvious choice but I have a hard time imagining how they can make another game of this quality and not have it feel extremely redundant. Are they gonna have Manhattan as the map again?? It's pretty incredible as is and it would be tough to top. Other than a new story and new villains it would be tough to make it feel different enough that people wouldn't just complain that it should just be more DLC.

nowhat

I get that Spiderman 2 seems like an obvious choice but I have a hard time imagining how they can make another game of this quality and not have it feel extremely redundant. Are they gonna have Manhattan as the map again?? It's pretty incredible as is and it would be tough to top. Other than a new story and new villains it would be tough to make it feel different enough that people wouldn't just complain that it should just be more DLC.
I very much disagree. While the foundation here is very solid, much of the side content is... tolerable, at best, given how enjoyable the traversal can be. Without that it would be tedious. I'd argue that instead of a version of Arkham (which this game is too, up to a point - not to the extent that it would seem to at first though), this is more a reinterpretation of the Ubisoft open-world formula. And that is something that can be very much improved. More meaningful (and as I wrote in the OT, meaningless too, give us random lunatics from NYC) side content, more antagonists (or better-known for the most part), perhaps even a cameo or few from some of the "good guys" in the Marvel universe, fewer collectibles. Keep the map as-is, polish it a bit, or perhaps add a new section of the city. At least personally, I wouldn't find that redundant at all.

Nymphae

Banned

This is a good point. The original Spider-Man and SM2 were very different games, then each one after that was fairly different from the previous one. I forget exact release orders, but you had SM2, Web of Shadows, Ultimate SM, Shattered Dimensions....am I missing any? They were all different enough in terms of mechanics and looks that fatigue wasn't a problem.

I am curious what they will do in the next entry here, they used a lot of available suits already, and you can't alter NYC that much or put Spidey in a new location. In WoS you had the section where the symbiote sort of took over the city and it altered the open world a bit, maybe they do something like that here for the next game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom