• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InsomniacGames is joining PlayStation’s Worldwide Studios!

//DEVIL//

As I mentioned in the other thread that got deleted, this purchase to ME is worth more than all MS purchases combined.

Sony to me at least has secured its lock purchase for me with the PS5. and I honestly think if everything continue the same road this gen is going. PS5 is gonna win next gen too.

what an amazing purchase.

sublimit

Banned
Wow.
Can't say i'm a fan of their recent games (except Ratchet) but this is huge.

I hope they try their hands on a new IP.

mortal

Gold Member
Spiderman and Ratchet & Clank, sure.; but Sunset Overdrive 2 on the PS5 doe.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

tenor.gif

Iced Arcade

Nothing surprising, they for the most part made sony exclusives anyway. But could give the studio more access to money/budget for titles. Win win for sure.

Sacred

Going back to the same publisher that you were just at war with 5 years ago Insomniac. So disappointed in you for doing this.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I value any studio that can be independent, but being independent means you are one bad game away from shutting down. That's not to say major publishers don't shut developers down, but there is some piece of mind knowing you can likely survive a bad game.

Pallas

Nice get for Sony! It’s been circling the rumor mill for a while now about them acquiring a studio, they secured their developer for the spider-man games.

I consider this pretty much the equivalent of Microsoft buying Playground Games.

Guess we can put those Take-Two rumors to rest now? Lol

CJY

Banned
YESSSSS, I knew this would happen eventually. Ted Price is getting a bit older now and I believe rather than staying independent and passing the reigns to somebody else to run the company into the ground (AKA MTX-ify their portfolio), bringing the studio under Sony's umbrella gives the studio exceptional security and longevity far into the future.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Cool News....I think they are massively overrated but cool news nevertheless

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It feels like this is a commentary on Microsoft's acquisitions. It can buy up all the small-to-middling studios it likes, but Sony can sneeze and acquire heavyweights (albeit ones that were already PlayStation-friendly).
I don't know, they have made all of three (?) games without Sony and have been pretty unsuccessful without Sony, so "sneeze and acquire heavyweights" is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least. That's like Nintendo acquiring Alphadreams or Game Freak (though, admittedly, there is no comparable thing for Microsoft, because Microsoft does not seem to have a good hand with long-term partnerships).

mejin

I doubt it Sony will only acquire Insomniac.

Anyway, I really miss insiders....the ones who talk about playstation don't leak shit cause they don't know shit. Sony just keep bringing the surprises.

sublimit

Banned
Finally! Insomniac and From software are two partners that sony should have bought a long time ago. The ship has sailed for FROM but insomniac was still possible.
Even if From was still small (around the time after the success of Demon's Souls) i don't think Sony would have been interested to acquire them.

chinoXL

damn as if i needed another reason to keep buying playstations...Sony has pretty much every genre covered in 1st party alone..they're gonna be stacked as usual for next gen. like all have said,, i'm sure Spider-Man was a try-out and they killed it

Jubenhimer

The only shocking thing about this acquisition, is the fact that it didn't happen sooner. Seriously, Insomniac may as well have been a Sony Company for years as most of their games were made under Sony.

CJY

Banned
damn as if i needed another reason to keep buying playstations...Sony has pretty much every genre covered in 1st party alone..they're gonna be stacked as usual for next gen. like all have said,, i'm sure Spider-Man was a try-out and they killed it

I believe Sony are still intent on building out their Spider-Man cinematic universe. They had major success with Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse, Venom was a massive success too. Venom 2 is being directed by Andy-fuckin-Serkis and the cinematographer is Robert Richardson who's worked on some major hits and did Tarantino's last few films.

As game graphics become increasingly real, the line between film, TV and games will become more and more blurred.

Spider-Man feels like Sony's trump card in creating an entertainment juggernaut that spans all mediums. I'm very excited to be honest. A first-part Venom game developed by Insomniac? I'd fucking love that.

hunthunt

Banned
As a Sony fanboy I have to say that Im very happy for this :)

I wonder if they are going after Remedy too or someone elsr

Last edited:

Dargor

Honestly, sounds like a waste of money in my humble opinion. They dont have any big IPs to bring in, they were already on the "we make exclusive game deals" pack and they were mostly for sony too.

I can't see the big deal about this.

FranXico

Honestly, sounds like a waste of money in my humble opinion. They dont have any big IPs to bring in, they were already on the "we make exclusive game deals" pack and they were mostly for sony too.

I can't see the big deal about this.
They deliver quality games and have a good healthy relationship with the publisher. Chances are also high that this was a defensive acquisition (MS has probably been knocking on their door for a while).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What happened to Ted Price being Mr. Independent Third Party guy?

When you throw enough money at it, everyone always sells out.

Sony and Insomniac have been big partners for years. There doesn't even really need to be a partnership. Money probably talked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom