• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Installing SSD in PS4?

Star-Lord

I've recently been toying with the idea of replacing my PS4 500GB HDD with a larger capacity SSD, but I have no idea of how to go about doing it, or if it's even worth it at all. Would the SSD actually make a noticeable difference in the responsiveness of the UI and the loading times of the games? Has anyone here done this and, if so, would you recommend it? Also, share recommendations of drives. Bear in mind, I'm UK based.

Three

PS4 or PS4 pro? As far as I know regular PS4 is Sata 2 meaning anything above 3Gb/s (~300MB/s) speed is wasted. If it's a PS4 pro then it's Sata 3 and you can get 6Gb/s (~600MB/s) drives.

you will see faster loading times but don't buy a super fast SSD which the interface can't utilise. I personally would just go for a hybrid drive here. That way you get the speed and the capacity.

Last edited:
Searching YouTube is my first thought with things like this, a lot of people have already done it and some have made good step by step tutorials.

Star-Lord

PS4 or PS4 pro? As far as I know regular PS4 is Sata 2 meaning anything above 3Gb/s (~300MB/s) speed is wasted. If it's a PS4 pro then it's Sata 3 and you can get 6Gb/s (~600MB/s) drives.
It's an original launch model, so is really beginning to slow down. It can take 2-3 minutes to boot up some games, so any improvement on that is welcomed. And the noise it makes is horrendous. Would installing an SSD improve that at all?

Three

It's an original launch model, so is really beginning to slow down. It can take 2-3 minutes to boot up some games, so any improvement on that is welcomed. And the noise it makes is horrendous. Would installing an SSD improve that at all?
An SSD will help with any possible HDD whirring sound (stock PS4 drives are only 5400rpm though so shouldn't make much noise) but I suspect that most of the noise is coming from the fan and possible dust build up seeing as it's a launch console. An SSD won't help with that unfortunately. You will get better loading times though. Check this video for what possible improvements you will get regarding that. It's usually around 30% faster

SkylineRKR

If you still have a stock 500gb, you could consider it. It won't fully utilize SSD but a 10 seconds decrease on a game that takes approx 40 seconds to load is something. I would consider an SSHD.

Given sata SSD's have come down a bit in price (been seeing 512Gb for about £40-50 these days) Its probably worth it. Even then a decent 7200rpm HDD will be an upgrade over the stock drive in the PS4.

Top Bottom