• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insurgency sells over 400k copies, dev shares thoughts on new Steam store (first 24h)

Might as well make a thread for this. Not everyone is a fan of the latest Discovery update, but figured people would appreciate a dev chiming in on this. Also

Two Gamasutra articles again about this from last week. The former is a very good read and might be worth a thread (I made enough threads lately). You can see devs and TotalBiscuit chiming in among the comments.

Defender's Quest dev's blog post

And here's another one.

https://medium.com/@andrewspearin/first-24hrs-results-from-steams-update-de7cd18c4a31

Yesterday, Steam made some major changes to their Store and Insurgency is already seeing positive results.

We’re little guys, but perhaps on the bigger side of the indie spectrum. To date we’ve sold over 400,000 copies, all through Steam since being one of the first Early Access titles on the platform. For visibility we rely upon the annual sales and promotions, plus whatever attention we can muster from the press — which isn’t much when they think you’re ‘just another shooter’ (Spoiler Alert: We’re not. See the User Reviews). Our advertising spend has been focused on our social networks and Twitch during major release milestones. We rely most upon grassroots marketing, word of mouth, and visibility on Steam.

Since the update yesterday, we’ve added more than 3,000 members to the official game group, presumably from people clicking the Follow button on the Store page. We’re gaining around 100 members per hour. This is important because the group is our primary communication channel to our player base. We post game update news, host beta testing events, and it connects to the forums where we monitor feedback. The more players we can reach, the more active they become.

Visits to our store page (recorded by Google Analytics) went from 5,800 on Sunday to over 21,500 on Monday. Our sales were up for a typical Monday as well. Another valuable number is being on 138,000 user wishlists, as that will help estimate copies sold during the next sale.

As for Curators, I’m unsure of how much impact they directly have in the above numbers. I think the majority of that traffic is from the new recommendations system based on what you’ve viewed on Steam, games/genres you play, and what your friends play and recommend.

However, we are recommended by TotalBiscuit along with 94 other Curators. This Curators list also represents high priority targets to become a cornerstone of our marketing efforts. We now need those top Curator recommendations. They represent a potential new audience to reach that is already a few clicks away from purchase.

The User Reviews % is the new Metacritic score. As a customer, I buy what my friends recommend (and what’s on sale) in conjunction with the overall consensus. I value honest reviews and can usually call out the bullshit ones. I’ve read more articulate, insightful, and objective reviews written by players than by games journalists.

So, as a developer with a “Very Positive” 92% rating from over 13,000 reviews, I’m happy to see this at the top of our game page. I’ve also read every single one of those user reviews and provide customer support to help resolve technical issues, resulting in a switch to a positive recommendation.

Overall, the numbers clearly show the changes immediately heightened visibility for Insurgency on Steam. If you’re measuring results by the visits on the game’s store page, it’s increased our game’s visibility on Steam by 370% over night. Of course this is a spike since these are new changes that people are checking out, so it’s expected to taper back down. However, I’m certain these changes will help increase sales in the longer term, especially once we reach our next milestone.

Hoping others will share their opinions too.

edit:

@crimsonhead: Thanks for the link to my blog post.

Just a quick update on the store page visits for Insurgency:

Sunday (pre-update): 5,852
Monday: 21,591
Tuesday: 83,284

So yeah... continues to rise rapidly. And I would consider us 'the little guy.'

Also, we surpassed 10,000 members in the official group (up from just under 6,000 pre-update). If you take a look at The Long Dark, they've accumulated over 40,000 members in a few days, having the benefit of prominent placement at the launch and being an Early Access title that people want to keep an eye on.

Despite all the neigh-saying speculation, the results speak for themselves.

Update on some data, when looking at the new traffic analysis in the Steam backend...

Impressions (times Insurgency has appeared to people on Steam) in the past two days are over 1.7 million.

More than half are from the Discovery Queue. 5.16% of those are from Curators.

Out of more than 150k visits to the game's store page, 0.88% are referred from Curators. Again, most are from the Discovery Queue.

Sendou

Most devs I have seen sharing their comments seem pretty in love with this update. I can't really think of anyone that was as negative as SteamGAF by large about this update. I'm thinking at the end of the day this update will make games on Steam sell more. Especially smaller and niche games that have troubles standing out.

It seems like this update is a great idea as far as allowing people to find more interesting and niche games and developers to get more people actually seeing their game on the store.

K3v1

Neo Member
I think all in all it was a decent update. I just hope they will add more customizability to our frontpage (as in actually sorting and completely enabling/disabling the frames). That would almost make it perfect I think.

yurinka

The curators thing is a fucking brilliant idea that will help a lot with the visibility issue that most devs have. But more visibility only means more sales if people like what they see in your store page. If it isn't the type of they they want and doesn't look promising, people won't buy.

The discovery list doesn't seem to work for me, seems to be a placebo that throws me games they want to feature and aren't mostly related at all to games I like.

kick51

Banned
I knew exactly what this game looked like before google image searching it.

that said, the gameplay description sounds cool.

quoting from Steam thread

I love when devs post this kind of stuff.

Defender's Quest
d6941e8205.png

Zeboyd (Cthulhu, Penny Arcade 3 & 4, etc)
f327d549f9.png

It sounds like new analytics are much more robust.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
I love this update to be honest. whilst the new colour and design scheme will take a while to get used to, i love the queue addition that shows you a selection of games you may be interested in and can add to your wishlist. I've discovered interesting games i never knew existed

yuraya

Heard a lot of good things about Insurgency. 400k is impressive congrats to them.

As for the update. Its a good start into the right direction. I would give it a solid 7.9 out of 10.

Valve still has some ways to go with it imo. Need more customization options hopefully they patch those in with future updates.

R1CHO

Personally I am using more and more the steam reviews.

And this never ceases to surprise me, because I dont really care that much about the metacritic.

Reviews, tags and a steam forum visit are pretty useful things for me.

However, we are recommended by TotalBiscuit along with 94 other Curators. This Curators list also represents high priority targets to become a cornerstone of our marketing efforts. We now need those top Curator recommendations. They represent a potential new audience to reach that is already a few clicks away from purchase.

Now there's more incentive to get GAF curator up there on the curator list.

dev in question posted in the announcement thread

@crimsonhead: Thanks for the link to my blog post.

Just a quick update on the store page visits for Insurgency:

Sunday (pre-update): 5,852
Monday: 21,591
Tuesday: 83,284

So yeah... continues to rise rapidly. And I would consider us 'the little guy.'

Also, we surpassed 10,000 members in the official group (up from just under 6,000 pre-update). If you take a look at The Long Dark, they've accumulated over 40,000 members in a few days, having the benefit of prominent placement at the launch and being an Early Access title that people want to keep an eye on.

Despite all the neigh-saying speculation, the results speak for themselves.

yurinka

quoting from Steam thread
Yes, obviously the curators thing is to give visibility to the quality stuff, the games that are more popular between the curators you follow. Not for the average garbage game.

And obiously it will need a few days to start working properly. Most influential people still need to make their own account, and then to highlight all the games they consider and after that the players should go to follow them. And I bet the average player doesn't check the store every day.

So I bet it will need at least a couple of weeks or a month to start generating better numbers for the good games that already didn't have them. When I checked the first results from the curators groups, I set a lot of new "wishlist" and "follows" for a lot of games which for me means I'll buy them once they reduce their price. So in their next sales their sales spike will be higher than before.

Corpekata

Banned
Strange thing with Zeboyd. I'd think simply the brand and relatively positive reception of the Penny Arcade games would not lead to it being buried.

I always thought official game groups were a great tool to keep up to date with updates or communication from the devs, but wasn't given enough exposure or prominence by Valve. With it now being replaced with the Follow button with a more prominent and visible position on game pages more people will be using this great tool.

Spearin

Neo Member
Update on some data, when looking at the new traffic analysis in the Steam backend...

Impressions (times Insurgency has appeared to people on Steam) in the past two days are over 1.7 million.

Out of more than 150k visits to the game's store page, 0.88% are referred from Curators. Again, most are from the Discovery Queue.

BPoole

I thought Insurgency was pretty good, but none of my friends liked it and thought it was inferior to CSGO in every way

CzarTim

I imagine Curators will more likely encourage purchases rather than drive people to the game. Sort of like reviews where people go "oh, this game must be good if these people like it, I should get it."

MutFox

Banned
Love this game.
It's on the realistic side, but still has an arcadey element to it.

Used to play the original Insurgency and got this on launch.
Well worth it.

I'd say it's better than most shooters,
but it doesn't have the marketing budget, so casuals would never know it existed.
(Though casuals might think it's too hard, as it's not a forgiving game)

Another awesome PC exclusive.
On sale it's usually around $7.50.

And yeah, totally different than CS:GO which I also love.
To be honest, Insurgency is WAY more tactical than CS:GO.

Sentenza

They didn't like how slow paced it was or waiting to respawn after each death in non single elimination game modes
It's supposed to be slow paced. it's intended as a some sort of (simplified) simulator.
And I say this as someone who doesn't even play it. The comparison is genuinely pointless.

MutFox

Banned
If any of you liked the original America's Army back in the day,
the combat feels a bit similar, though i still prefer the old America's Army.

Such a good game, too bad they botched the later AA games.

The User Reviews % is the new Metacritic score.

Intriguing...I can only speculate at this point, but I do believe change is definately afoot here.

syko de4d

I heard very good stuff about this game but never played it because i am to bad for a game like this :D. And i think the very drastic increase in clicks for this game is because it gets recommended to all the CS/MP-Shooter players on steam.
There are maybe games from other genres that have a harder time.

Arcteryx

Glad to see Insurgency doing so well(both prior to the update, and now especially with the update). I used to alpha/beta test with them and do forum moderation as well, so it's awesome to see how far they've come.

Definitely a fun game and you should give it a check out if you're into "realism" type FPS play(ie: Americas Army, RO, ARMA, etc).

M3d10n

Ehh, I think people have some unrealistic expectations. The big leap is that Steam now has the hooks for targeted game recommendations. Getting the thing working with optimal results is now an ongoing work that will take a lot of back and forth and will never truly get done, as it needs to constantly adapt to both developers and the community.

Also, even the current system still need more data before the blocks start falling into place, like curator subscriptions, wishlist updating and lots of "not interested".

Noogy

Very interesting. I haven't quite figured out how to read the analytics, but I've noticed a bump in sales over the last week.

I don't know what the game is, but that's good I guess.

It sounds like games sell really well on Steam. So that's really nice.

Zarx

Always interesting to get this kind of data. Seems like the Steam store page update is working reasonably well so far. Will be interesting to see what the situation looks like in a couple months tho.

tim.mbp

I really like the new Steam update. My wishlist has doubled since I find it much easier to find interesting games.

Spearin

Neo Member
Right now I don't care about Metacritic and I just check the Steam reviews.
If you Google search for a game, now the Steam reviews score shows up as meta data instead of the Metacritic score. Insurgency went from a 7/10 to a 9/10... so that's a significant change as well.

Durante

Ehh, I think people have some unrealistic expectations. The big leap is that Steam now has the hooks for targeted game recommendations. Getting the thing working with optimal results is now an ongoing work that will take a lot of back and forth and will never truly get done, as it needs to constantly adapt to both developers and the community.

Also, even the current system still need more data before the blocks start falling into place, like curator subscriptions, wishlist updating and lots of "not interested".
Yeah, I agree with this.

The important part was getting from a static and unified store to something which is custom, adaptive and dynamic. Now getting that to work as well as e.g. Amazon's recommendations do is merely a matter of continuous refinement. And Valve is fantastic at that.

Two Gamasutra articles again about this from last week. The former is a very good read and might be worth a thread (I made enough threads lately). You can see devs and TotalBiscuit chiming in among the comments.

from the Steam thread

Not sure if it's been posted here or not, but I've been playing The Sacred Tears TRUE, and the developers/publishers comments interested me and I thought it might interest some here.

Frankly, sales are well below expectations. The major issue seems to be Steam's new update, which has DRASTICALLY affected visibility on the store top page - whereas under the old system STT would have been listed under 'New Release' on the top page over the entire weekend, it hasn't been on the top page at all. To find the the listing you have to dig into the 'Popular New Games' or 'All New Games' list off the top page to find it. Add to that the fact that Valve didn't announce the release through Twitter, etc. and we have a fairly disastrous start.

Pretty much all we can do now is keep plugging the game off-Steam and hope that word of mouth helps improve sales over time. In the meantime, a good number of positive reviews on Steam will be a huge help.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/316840/discussions/0/34094415755552192/#c613937306791687835

There are bound to be a few teething issues until the algorithm learns to do its thing. Still, I agree that making "popular new releases" the default window is screwing over smaller releases.

Wow I completely missed that title and I thought I was on the right page for all new releases. Where is that option exactly?

Bottom of the New Popular Releases list: you can choose to view more of either of those or all new releases. You click on it and it takes you to another page.

there's no tab for it currently on the list, but jshackles is working on it for ES

I would say that maybe Sacred Tears True didnt even have any "marketing" before it was released.

No one talked about it and almost no one knew it is coming out. When it launched, there also wasnt a launch-discount. I am having it in my wishlist and thought maybe a 10% discount would be added.

Teeth

The New Releases tab has been a real problem since Steam started allowing basically any game in.

It started with people complaining that getting a game on Steam was too difficult and/or opaque, and that it relied too much on a too-small group of curators. This problem was magnified by Steam's "popularity monopoly", so getting on Steam was a make-or-break proposition for a lot of indies.

Once the floodgates opened, there were complaints that the deluge pushed notable titles off the New Release list too quickly. The visibility was decreased because the store page was so full...and so full of garbage. I can say that I was an adamant investigator of the New Releases on Steam (I would click on every new game to check it out) until the Greenlight processes created such a glut of garbage, it stopped being worth my time. Even Valve knew it was an issue and made the Top Sellers tab the default.

Now we have the robot-generated list of "notable" new releases. It seems to go by impressions, reviews, and curator recommendations. I can say that I've started to actually look at the new releases again because of it. But I can see how it can create a negative feedback loop wherein small games have no exposure, so they get no clicks, so they don't get moved up the chain, which reduces their exposure, and so on.

That said, I feel like it's the job of the curators and taste-makers (including here on GAF!) to help push the more obscure games that are actually worth seeing. If the impressions increase, likely the exposure on the store will too. But I guess no one really knows how Valve's robots are programmed (for good reason, or devs would likely game the system).

That said, the most baffling thing to me about this whole Valve-curation mess, is the comments of some game media and industry people: a common complaint (from them) is "How is anyone supposed to find anything with so many games and so much crap?" It's just baffling to hear this from games-media because THAT'S THEIR JOB. That is what they are supposed to be doing; wading through the garbage and recommending the good stuff. Do not complain that the store isn't telling you what to like or push. Dig in and find out for yourself.

CzarTim

I guess I'm not sure what these devs were expecting. It's not like this update magically increased every Steam user's game-buying budget. I know for me, I've already found a few cool games I'd like to get, but I put them on my wishlist as I'm still playing Destiny / can't afford right now. Being able to discover games a bit easier doesn't solve the other problem with Steam: any game not on my "must have right now" radar waits on my wishlist until there's a sale.

Top Bottom