• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel Sandy Bridge CPU Reviews/Benchmarks

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Amir0x said:
FUCKING MINE
Really? I ussually have no self restrain when it comes to upgrading, but even I can see how Sandy Bridge is not even worth the time it will take me to swap motherboards considering I already have a Core i7 @ 3.8GHz.

markot said:
..... without USB3 being available readily... there wont be USB3 devices... What are they waiting for?
Intel has no business supporting USB 3.0. Intel is behind Light Peak http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_Peak which honestly makes USB 3.0 seem antiquated.

The Bookerman said:
Problem is, I haven't seen any!

Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H, H67, ATX
ASUS P8H67-V, H67, ATX
ASRock H67DE3, H67, ATX

These three are already listed in Germany and a few stores actually claim to have one or two of them already in stock.

kamspy

Hmm. Phenom II 955 here. 3.8Ghz.

As a guy who only uses his processor for gaming (no video editing, photo shopping etc.), is this a worthy upgrade? Does it eat the northbridge like the i7s?

I didn't see complete system specs on the ananadtech gaming benchmarks.

TheExodu5

Banned
brain_stew said:
Amirox is running something like a ~4ghz i7. Not even Dolphin is going to show a difference there.

15-20% improvement clock for clock, and being able to bring it to 5GHz...that's a decent improvement. Roughly 50%, in fact.

I wouldn't upgrade from a 4GHz i7 though, since it's already blazingly fast. Emulation is really the only gaming related application that will really benefit (and only some games, at that).

kamspy said:

As a guy who only uses his processor for gaming (no video editing, photo shopping etc.), is this a worthy upgrade? Does it eat the northbridge like the i7s?

Stick with your Phenom

kamspy

TheExodu5 said:
15-20% improvement clock for clock, and being able to bring it to 5GHz...that's a decent improvement. Roughly 50%, in fact.

Right, but what games coming out between now and Sandy Bridge Successor are going to use that extra gas?

The Crysis 2 and RAGE rage thread do Sandy Bridge no favors. Not to say there won't be PC developers absolutely pushing the limits. Those were kinda the two biggies in the forseeable future.

EDIT: I do see this as a good time for the dual core holdouts who run the Steam complaint forums to upgrade here.

kamspy said:

Ummm....yeah...I agree with Angelus Errare, stick with the Phenom II. You'ill get far better performance with GPU upgrades at this point.

kamspy

Alright, well I'm also a guy who's about to build a whole new computer so I can stop running a 50 ft HDMI cord to game in the living room.

Would this be worth the extra coin over another AM3 set up? Love the mobo prices and upgrade path. I'm still on AM2+ right now.

ZoddGutts

kamspy said:
Alright, well I'm also a guy who's about to build a whole new computer so I can stop running a 50 ft HDMI cord to game in the living room.

Would this be worth the extra coin over another AM3 set up? Love the mobo prices and upgrade path. I'm still on AM2+ right now.

Will the Bulldozer chips use AM3?

I built a Core i7-950 box just a few months ago and it's purring at 4ghz. I don't see any reason to upgrade to Sandy Bridge quite frankly, I don't encode videos that much.

There is, however, no longer any reason buy AMD above the $200 price point or so. If you get an unlocked "K" series processor you can destroy AMD in every possible performance category that exists. Intel seems determined to force AMD to bottom-feed forever by only selling locked Core i3 processors, thereby giving the poorest OCers a reason to buy AMD presumably ensuring AMD's survival and prevention of antitrust action against Intel.

Unknown Soldier said:
I built a Core i7-950 box just a few months ago and it's purring at 4ghz. I don't see any reason to upgrade to Sandy Bridge quite frankly, I don't encode videos that much.

There is, however, no longer any reason buy AMD above the $200 price point or so. If you get an unlocked "K" series processor you can destroy AMD in every possible performance category that exists. Intel seems determined to force AMD to bottom-feed forever by only selling locked Core i3 processors, thereby giving the poorest OCers a reason to buy AMD presumably ensuring AMD's survival and prevention of antitrust action against Intel.

Er....that's one of the reason by I love AMD so much. I never had reason to buy a chip that costs $200 and up! :lol

You had tri-quad-cores from $99-189. And a good number of them let you over-clock with a decent motherboad that didn't even have to cost $200 either.

My AMD motherboard/CPU from last Spring only cost my like $230 and let me overclock just fine.

My current Intel i7 upgrade is going to cost me over $400 when I get my motherboard.

·feist· said:
Bulldozer is AM3+, which is compatible with AM3 CPUs.

I really love AMD keeping things straight forward and simply like that. Really easy to follow upgrade path while Intel seems to have every iteration need multiple motherboard designs.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So which sockets are still being supported? 1156 and 1366 just got EOL'd, right? That's kind of messed up, if true.

snack

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I really love AMD keeping things straight forward and simply like that. Really easy to follow upgrade path while Intel seems to have every iteration need multiple motherboard designs.
I feed the same way. Gotta love AMD and their simple intentions. :D

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
canova said:
thanx for the explanation.

Since I'm in the market for gaming laptop, I guess it makes sense to wait for this thing to hit the market.
No. What it makes sense for you to wait for, are the new GPUs from Nvidia and AMD.

That's the biggest bottleneck in mobile gaming, not the CPU.

AMD's 6970M will do more for mobile gaming than Intel's new chips. We still don't know whether the high-end notebook manufacturers will use the switchable graphics.

Unknown Soldier said:

There was never a reason, even with the current i5-i7 series.

But atleast with AMD you know your shit won't get dumped like a hooker after prom night. I can sleep comfortable knowing that AM3+ mobos will work with my AM3 processor and then when the time comes I can plop a AM3+ processor in there and be on my way.

So that's a plus side

matmanx1

Just read up on that Light Peak wiki. That stuff sounds fantastic and can't come soon enough.

Back on topic: Superbiiz.com has socket 1155 boards on sale right now (I bought a Gigabyte Ud4 from them today for $176 + shipping) and they've already sent me the tracking information on it. Amazon.com is also listing the Gigabyte boards and a few of the Asus models so products are starting to trickle in.

J-Rzez

For once my waiting paid off. Fought off temptations long enough, now its just going to be a little wait and time to build a new rig. Very excite! So very-very excite! :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's going to be so hard waiting that week after launch when user feedback comes in.
Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
cartman414 said:
Anything else, or am I hoping for too much too soon?

One other thing, any difference between the max overclocks of the i5-2500K and i7-2600K?
Doesn't seem like anything major so far yet if anything. Question now comes to power regulation and voltages chips will be needing and seeing if any boards clock better than others.

Probably not, but I'm interested in whether extra MOSFETs and cooling will help at all.
I'm probably looking at a UD4 or ASUS P67 Pro.

Metalic Sand said:
You sure? I clearly remember AMD saying there AM3+ line will actually need a new MOBO to use those. I do hope your right though.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2101113

Yeah AM3+ is the socket type, AM3+ processors will not work in AM3 mobos. But AM3 processors will work in AM3+ mobos.

From the link you provided

article said:
Advanced Micro Devices said that its next-generation desktop processors code-named Zambezi will use socket AM3+ platforms, which will be backwards compatible with the firm's existing AM3 products

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Angelus Errare said:
Yeah AM3+ is the socket type, AM3+ processors will not work in AM3 mobos. But AM3 processors will work in AM3+ mobos.

From the link you provided

Nvm. I read what he said wrong, I was thinking bulldozer working on AM3 mobos. Oops!

Cipherr

Angelus Errare said:
There was never a reason, even with the current i5-i7 series.

But atleast with AMD you know your shit won't get dumped like a hooker after prom night. I can sleep comfortable knowing that AM3+ mobos will work with my AM3 processor and then when the time comes I can plop a AM3+ processor in there and be on my way.

So that's a plus side

Its all about performance. I like it that AMD keeps their sockets alive longer, but that doesnt mean shit to me if the performance is as far behind Intel as it is now, especially for gaming. Im still better off with a 1366 socket or definitely a 1155 right now if your buying because I dont expect AMDs new arch to come close to intels really.

In the market now, its just impossible to have your cake and eat it too as a consumer.

AMD is reusing Socket AM3 over and over because they can't afford to develop a new socket. If you think this is actually a good thing then more power to you. :lol

Hazaro said:
Doesn't seem like anything major so far yet if anything. Question now comes to power regulation and voltages chips will be needing and seeing if any boards clock better than others.

Actually I was referring to emulators on that first question.

Shambles

Unknown Soldier said:
AMD is reusing Socket AM3 over and over because they can't afford to develop a new socket. If you think this is actually a good thing then more power to you. :lol

NeoGAF, where everyone is an insider with access to restricted corporate documents.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Shambles said:
NeoGAF, where everyone is an insider with access to restricted corporate documents.
I have access to restricted corporate documents, they are all just boring and full of grammatical errors.

snack

Unknown Soldier said:
Link me to this evidence, kind sir.

Om3ga

So I have an i7 960 and an i7 970. I'm planning on selling one of them, and I was just wondering how these 2 compare to these new processors. I only saw the i7 950 being compared. Would it be better to sell them and just get one of these new ones? (I haven't built a system with them yet.)

godhandiscen

I keep seeing that 5.0GHz thrown around and it is very suspicious. Good thing [H] actually shared some insider info given by ASUS about this:

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/01/03/intel_sandy_bridge_2600k_2500k_processors_review/2

[H] said:
ASUS shared some information with us on what it has seen pertaining to the 2500K and 2600K successfully scaling to.

The results below are based on the range of the CPU turbo multiplier when overclocking.
Results are representative of 100 D2 CPUs that were binned and tested for stability under load; these results will most likely represent retail CPUs.
1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

Additionally it is recommended to keep 「C1E」and「EIST」option enabled for the best overclock scaling. This is different than previous Intel overclocking expectations where the best scaling was with disabled power states or power management options.

Pretty sure that distribution will shift forward once Intel releases a new stepping, like it happened with the OC capability increase between the C0 and D0 stepping of Nehalem.

Shambles

godhandiscen said:
I keep seeing that 5.0GHz thrown around and it is very suspicious. Good thing [H] actually shared some insider info given by ASUS about this:

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/01/03/intel_sandy_bridge_2600k_2500k_processors_review/2

Pretty sure that distribution will shift forward once Intel releases a new stepping, like it happened with the OC capability increase between the C0 and D0 stepping of Nehalem.

I'll end up laughing if all we're seeing so far is binned processors given to reviewers and when the public starts using them all we see is 4.4Ghz

valenti said:
5ghz is nice, but i only see like a 10 fps inc in crysis warhead-_-;

Going pass 3.2Ghz with these multi-core processors, you are going to be less and less CPU bound to the point of nil for videogames, especially Crysis which is more GPU bound.

You would get better uses at that frequency for things like video encoding.

"I'll end up laughing if all we're seeing so far is binned processors given to reviewers and when the public starts using them all we see is 4.4Ghz"

Obviously. As with all processors, there are some clocks that very few pieces will actually be capable of hitting.

tokkun

godhandiscen said:

That data is actually kind of meaningless now. They discovered a few days ago that lacking the option to override internal PLL voltage in the BIOS was what was holding most of the overclocks back. Thing was, only Intel's boards had the option until a couple days ago. Now ASUS and Gigabyte have both release BIOS updates that add the option, but it was too recent for most websites to include it in their reviews. Several people reported that adding the option allowed them to get clocks over 5 GHz.

Reallink

So are the 2012 chips (Ivy bridge?) going to be another iteration of the "Core i" line, or something entirely new?

godhandiscen

tokkun said:
That data is actually kind of meaningless now. They discovered a few days ago that lacking the option to override internal PLL voltage in the BIOS was what was holding most of the overclocks back. Thing was, only Intel's boards had the option until a couple days ago. Now ASUS and Gigabyte have both release BIOS updates that add the option, but it was too recent for most websites to include it in their reviews. Several people reported that adding the option allowed them to get clocks over 5 GHz.
Well, the data comes straight from ASUS. It is hard to tell if they knew about this while they took their samples.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Reallink said:
So are the 2012 chips (Ivy bridge?) going to be another iteration of the "Core i" line, or something entirely new?
The i line is just a brand and doesn't really tell you about the underlying architecture, I think Intel are planning on continuing to use the i brand for several more years.. Ivy Bridge is going to be the new 22nm shrink of Sandy Bridge. Expect new features, higher stock clocks and OCs and cooler temperatures.

Alright, here we go, this is what I've been waiting for. Been hearing nothing but positive things. Time to dive in and build my new PC.

Top Bottom