• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Interesting Youtubes

Kadayi

Banned
As we now have the ability to embed Youtube links. I figured I'd snatch an idea from another forum I frequent and start a thread about, well just those damn interesting digestible mind nuggets you stumble across.

This one is a bit of an oldie for anyone whose a Fincher fan, but it's a good one: -

I'd love to see people share their own finds and maybe discover some hitherto unseen channels in the process.

Few suggestions: -

1. Let's avoid the politics and stick to the 'huh, that's cool' 'I have learnt something new' variety. Plenty of scope for politics elsewhere

2. Digestible. A light lunch versus a 14-course meal.

3. One link per post. (don't blow your load in one go).

4. Spoiler tags please for anything that might ruin someone enjoyment of a film/TV show when it comes to making of

That Fincher vid and Vsauce are pretty cool. Hmm, so many things to choose from... I think I'll start with something gaming related. The video is a bit on the longer side, but it gives an interesting insight into how much though went into the introduction to DOOM.

Last edited:
Carl Sagan gives us an insight into the platonic solids, explaining how the discovery of the dodecahedron turned the worldview of the Pythagoreans upside down. Man, to think that irrationality of √2 could have affected people so much, it really make you wonder what other mindbogglingly amazing discoveries we have yet to make. Also let it be said that I miss Sagan :(

Kadayi

Banned
Akira Kurosawa - Composing Movement

Unfortunately Every frame a painting hasn't been overly active for a while (a more involved career as I understand it) however his Videos are all very engaging insights into film construction and how particular directors achieve certain things.

Last edited:

ehead

This one I viewed very recently. Sheds some new light on one of my favorite movies, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Adam Ruins Everything - What the Date Labels on Food Actually Mean

I kinda fell off the radar on this series because of the transition to TRU tv. Are they posting full episodes on Youtube?

Last edited:
I love Game Sack. They're one of my favorite channels on YouTube because they go very in depth with the topics they cover. I know you said only one video, but this is a four parter about the same subject. It's incredible to see the black magic developers were able to pull off with the hardware available to them.

Makariel

This could also be a Dark Souls Lore video:

Kurzgesagt videos tend to hammer home how insignificant we are on the grand scale of things. Lovecraft would be proud.

To balance out, Mustard is a fantastic channel if you like history of remarkable but little known air- and spacecraft, like the best space shuttle in the world:

Geki-D

Banned
Not really sure I'm going against what this thread is about, but rather than link videos, I'd rather like to share some awesome channels I've come across:
GVMERS Makes really good mini documentaries on videos games, some about the evolution, sime about games that got canned, their content is really high quality and well-researched.
Crowbcat Kind of hard to put a name on this guys content, he's mostly known for picking out the worst parts of gaming shows but often does other stuff.
Internet Historian Breaks down the events of some of the biggest stories to shake the internet. Does it in really amusing, well-produced videos.
RedLetterMedia Became known mostly through their Star Wars Plinkett reviews but pretty much all of their content is sheer perfection. These guys do movie reviews and it's criminal all of their videos don't get over a million views.

Geki-D

Banned
^ One I forgot:

MauLer Does very in-depth critiques & breakdowns of games and recently did an excellent one of The Last Jedi entering the Plinkett zone. His stuff is way more hardline factual than RedLettermedia, but just as well thought out.

Yeah, MauLer is great, a good amount of detail and research go into his oftentimes very analytical reviews. Apart from his TLJ review, I also enjoyed his video series on Amnesia vs. SOMA. Anyway, considering the current success of Kingdom Come, I recommend watching Lindybeige, Skallagrim and Shadiversity if you're interested in the culture and history of the middle-ages.

Makariel

Anyway, considering the current success of Kingdom Come, I recommend watching Lindybeige, Skallagrim and Shadiversity if you're interested in the culture and history of the middle-ages.
I'm not too fond of Lindybeige, been watching a few videos where he was jumping to conclusions without a shred of evidence presented. Just because it makes sense in his mind sitting in his living room, doesn't mean it's how reality works ;)

@Thread: as someone who enjoys watching big stompy robots, I can't help but recommend checking out Gundaminfo, where you can find plenty of Gundam Series and occasionally the old movies (for limited time, at a time):
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCejtUitnpnf8Be-v5NuDSLw

If you've never seen Gundam before, a good place to start is Iron Blooded Orphans, because it doesn't require any previous knowledge and stands on its own:

Or, if you can't be bothered to read subtitles and need it dubbed:

Top Bottom