• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.

ethomaz

Banned
not sure if haptic (like in an iphone) but they certainly have small motors on them to simulate exactly that idea of gravel on the wheels or bow strings or gun shots whatever
Xbox controller doesn’t have resistance and tension on triggers.
Non controller in the market has.

Last edited:

Orpheum

I was a huge Fan of the DualShock 3 so when i heard that they switched it up for the PS4 i got worried...the DualShock 4 is by far the best controller i've ever held in my hands. I'm a little worried again but i'm certain they'll get it right again, i trust them. Overall i like the design, can't wait honestly

HeadsUp7Up

Have they said anything about the Dualshock 4 being compatible with PS5 (similar to XB1 controller being compatible with XSX?)

I have four Dualshock 4 controllers lol
I haven’t read anything yet. They’ve been pretty tight-lipped so far but hopefully this is a sign of them starting to release more info.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
f2db671339649252.png

fallingdove

Ok so we have tempest 3d audio for our hearing sences

We have ds5 for our sences to feel

And the 9.2 at best case for our eyes?....

I guess we get 2 out of 3. Not too bad

9.2TF at best case for our eyes?

Don’t you Xbox fanboys get tired of intellectual dishonesty?

Nobody is denying that the XSX has more power than the PS5. But if the XSX is so wonderful, surely it doesn’t need a mob to spread FUD across the Internet in order for it to realize its potential...

Vroadstar

Gold Member
not really:

- no 3.5 mm jack
- Built-in microphone, horrible for ingame chat, you will hear a lot of people talking lol
- still the stupid glowing light, will destroy battery life
- oh the horrible D-Pad, looks like the PSP D-Pad.
- stupid two-color scheme
- gimmick features, that mostly dev will ignore
- potentially horrible battery life, we don't know that yet

Wow that's the ugliest controller that I've seen in a while

I wonder if this controller can sense how lame it is.

The X discord group initiating their "quick reaction force"

HeadsUp7Up

Xbox controller doesn’t have resistance and tension on triggers.
Non controller in the market has.
Don’t the Switch triggers have something similar? Thought I remember that being a thing in Breath of the Wild.

Edit: Xbox One has haptic feedback in the triggers too.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
9.2TF at best case for our eyes?

Don’t you Xbox fanboys get tired of intellectual dishonesty?

Nobody is denying that the XSX has more power than the PS5. But if the XSX is so wonderful, surely it doesn’t need a mob to spread FUD across the Internet in order for it to realize its potential...
Watch out who u talking to.
Do i look like a fuckin xbox fanboy?

Sosokrates

Well, we can just wait till comparisons are made....I think even on multiplats there will be a difference...….

One thing is for sure, the landscape of consoles have changed, it's very interesting again....Perhaps they can even simulate some mild virtual surround via the controller speaker through Tempest...….Anyway, the landscape will be very interesting next gen.....You realize the whole of this gen we only really compared framerates, and resolutions, mainly graphics......I think the consoles are now different enough where devs will utilize the unique hardware here, where appropriate distinctions and comparisons will be made on controller feedback and latency, sound feedback...etc....That is only going to happen because of the push and revolution here from the PS5.....Comparisons will be inevitable......Perhaps they could leave Vgtech, NxGamer and DF to do visuals and somebody else can handle sound and controller comparisons.....Would be neat and welcomed...

I dont see the controller as a big differator here, its not like this like the joycons.

There basically the same since the 360 pad.

Anyone acting like these 2 controller have much difference have there fanboy goggles on.
There both good controllers, its no big deal.

However i am curious how the DS5 works, I hope it offers something new and cool.

Last edited:

EliteSmurf

maybe you can argue instead of console warring?
What of the points I made are incorrect?
I mean it hasn't been confirmed if the DualSense has a headphone jack or not but considering Yoshida is liking posts asking about headphone jacks its looking more likely .

Vroadstar

Gold Member
not really:

- no 3.5 mm jack
- Built-in microphone, horrible for ingame chat, you will hear a lot of people talking lol
- still the stupid glowing light, will destroy battery life
- oh the horrible D-Pad, looks like the PSP D-Pad.
- stupid two-color scheme
- gimmick features, that mostly dev will ignore
- potentially horrible battery life, we don't know that yet

maybe you can argue instead of console warring?
What of the points I made are incorrect?

Argue with your bullshit points and FUD? No thanks, Alt Account #13

Last edited:

fallingdove

They do though iirc. I recall this feature being mentioned at X1 launch. Later on, very few games outside Forza used the feature.
I remember it being more about vibration in the triggers, not resistance.

I only remember feeling anything with Forza though. Maybe there were other games that managed the capability to its fullest extent.

Roitorb

I’ll admit I didn’t like it at first but it’s grown on me. It’s actually nice to have a new controller for a change as well going in to a new generation.

THEAP99

Banned
They do though iirc. I recall this feature being mentioned at X1 launch. Later on, very few games outside Forza used the feature.
No it is not the same thing. DualSense is adaptive trigger with resistance.
I hope it is something special and unique considering they literally named the controller after it after many years of DualShock.

Jtibh

Banned
Watch out who I’m talking to? Brilliant response. Great work.
Yes u call me an xbox fan.
What makes you think i am not a sony fan?
I bet ya i played ridge racer and loaded when you were still swimming in daddy.

Nah man i am pro sony and i made a small joke given the 9.2 meme.
I am pro sony but no sony fanboy and i am ok to poke some fun here and there and also take the fun making from the other side

Next time do some research before you jump around in agony

Last edited:

Ashoca

Banned
dude the jack is there and also the mute button. really, ,have to mark that?

JAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

We will see if gamers will use it lol
also, interesting, a Mic inside the controller. Will be interesting how people around the world will react to it!
I remember when Kinect had a mic integrated and people were getting crazy.

Sosokrates

Is it true this controller has different levels of resistance in its triggers and buttons?

How does this work?
Does it have little resistance bands attached to the triggers?
Will this give my hands a workout? Are my fingers gonna get swole? Should i increase my protein intake?

Fatez

also, interesting, a Mic inside the controller. Will be interesting how people around the world will react to it!

lol that's dumb. Don't want to use it? then don't! my headphones have a mic too and that doesn't mean i am bothered when i am just listening to music and not speaking. oh well................

Last edited:

Zannegan

Call me crazy, but I think they should have led with this before their tech deep-dive. This has concrete features people can imagine using and get excited about, whereas the deep-dive was 50% mitigating the power difference, and 50% talking about a feature that people are going to have to experience to appreciate, assuming the sound is actually that mind-blowingly better.

Don’t the Switch triggers have something similar? Thought I remember that being a thing in Breath of the Wild.

Edit: Xbox One has haptic feedback in the triggers too.
The Switch has "HD Rumble" - aka linear actuators, but it doesn't have anything special in the triggers. Nintendo did have a patent for something like this that was being discussed around the time of that faked-up oval screen controller (also based on patents), but they've never used it.

MS has rumble-like haptic feedback in the triggers, but it doesn't sound like the "resistance" feedback Sony is talking about or that the Nintendo patent seems to indicate. It might end up being essentially the same thing that they're making sound different through marketing buzz, but folks are taking it to mean that, when you pull the trigger, in certain situations you will actually feel pushback/resistance.

Zoro7

Banned

Lol you are in every thread saying something negative about the PS5. Let it up buddy life aint that bad. You can have more than 1 great console.

fallingdove

Yes u call me an xbox fan.
What makes you think i am not a sony fan?
I bet ya i played ridge racer and loaded when you were still swimming in daddy.

Nah man i am pro sony and i made a small joke given the 9.2 meme.
I am pro sony but no sony fanboy and i am ok to poke some fun here and there and also take the fun making from the other side

Next time do some research before you jump around in agony
You calling me a PlayStation newbie!!! Lol

Look dude, I don’t give a shit if you are a Sony fan or an Xbox fan — the ongoing circulation of the unfounded myth that is 9.2TF coupled with the never ending arm chair technical discussions are beyond tiresome.

You seem earnest enough, and you played Ridge Racer and Loaded, so let’s flag this as me mistakenly calling a sheep a snake.

ethomaz

Banned
Nope.

They filed in 2019 a patente for something similar to what Dual Sense has but I believe they didn’t implemented on the new controller.

What Xbox One controller has actually is called impulse triggers that basically is the ability to vibrate independent of the controller like it was implemented in your Forza example.

Last edited:
Top Bottom