• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing DualSense, the New Wireless Game Controller for PlayStation 5

What do you think of the new controller?

• I like it

• I dislike it

• 50-50

Results are only viewable after voting.

Keihart

That's actually possible. The text on the PSBlog mentions the use of headset but doesn't really detail:

"DualSense also adds a built-in microphone array, which will enable players to easily chat with friends without a headset – ideal for jumping into a quick conversation. But of course, if you are planning to chat for a longer period, it’s good to have that headset handy. "

With the zoomed pic. So unless you they do have sort of open Bluetooth compatibility we are screwed. I remember asking a friend working for a sony studio about this, 2019, and said it was going to keep the jack. But as you said it might be that too. It's strange they didn't share the usual 4/5 photos of all angles of the controller.
I've said it multiple times, since some posters started the rumor of it having no jack, but the hole in the bottom make very little sense as a mic hole. What is it listening for? farts? erections? doritos falling to the ground?
The mic to be useful should be somehow pointing upwards and maybe it's directional, it probably also has an aggressive voice filter.

The speaker holes are in the exact same position as before, i bet the mic is there somewhere, those are pointing to the user as the mic should too.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As a 20 years veteran, yes im around.
Maybe thats also why, rumble is rumble to me.

I hope Sony dont overspend time and money on haptics. Maybe they try to make that back by 'ring-fencing' gamers to their ecosystem?

Im not sure if multiplatforms will design critical gameplays around advanced haptics?

It looks like your concern is about multiplatform XSX titles potentially suffering (DS will be compatible with PC’s most likely), would that be fair to say?
Of course Sony will try to drive as much usage in first party and third party titles to make them “feel” better on PS5 and ensure people pick it as their best platform, what would expect them to do?

I think they will spend the right amount to make sure the haptics is well implemented and not cheap and dirty, but great haptics is not THAT expensive nowadays IIRC. They are produced in extremely massive numbers.

ArcaneNLSC

Do an FC Barcelona one, plox.

pQtgb8P.jpg

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
The X discord group initiating their "quick reaction force"
First of all, I'm not even in that group. Secondly, can I have my own opinion on what I think looks good or not? It's a ridiculous color scheme, makes it look like a boomerang due to this. A completely blue one (fanmade) was so much better for coloring. I never liked faux-futuristic looks, just not my thing, it feels childish.

Personal opinion of course, but don't give me this xbox fanboy bullshit purely because I think it doesn't look good. Sony designs just never suited me. It's too much out there for me, too much in your face. I like things to be minimal, and I don't want my console or controller to stand out in my living room, which Sony mostly goes for.

longdi

Banned
It looks like your concern is about multiplatform XSX titles potentially suffering (DS will be compatible with PC’s most likely), would that be fair to say?
Of course Sony will try to drive as much usage in first party and third party titles to make them “feel” better on PS5 and ensure people pick it as their best platform, what would expect them to do?

I think they will spend the right amount to make sure the haptics is well implemented and not cheap and dirty, but great haptics is not THAT expensive nowadays IIRC. They are produced in extremely massive numbers.

Yes you are right. I play games on my PC. I dont expect games like death stranding 2 PC will design gameplay around haptics and gyro?

Idk, as others noted. DS5 will take a chunk of the bom. It is a decision i dont have much to call out as a yes or no, yet. Until msrp is out...

Shin

Banned
Someone do a mock-up of the controller with black thumb and trigger buttons, the rest should remain intact.
Fully white, just those buttons being black might have looked better I think.

B_Boss

We will see if gamers will use it lol
also, interesting, a Mic inside the controller. Will be interesting how people around the world will react to it!
I remember when Kinect had a mic integrated and people were getting crazy.

After all the features MS mentioned about the XB1, the Kinect freaked some (or many?) out probably because it is/was primarily a camera, the DualSense is not.

June

Very dissapointed. It's far too similar to the DS4 so I'm guessing it'll have the exact same problems as the DS4.

Fuck, man. They should've been braver in making this more different than what came before.

Sony just suck at controllers, sadly.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I like the design, but white controllers get absolutely filthy. I don’t really see the point in making it two tone, but I suppose it hides the fact that they copied the Xbox One controller's shape. Hate that they still use light bars that are now even directed at the user. Please let me turn that off.

Bryank75

Banned
I like the design, but white controllers get absolutely filthy. I don’t really see the point in making it two tone, but I suppose it hides the fact that they copied the Xbox One controller's shape. Hate that they still use light bars that are now even directed at the user. Please let me turn that off.
It's quite subtle, I like it. I like the angles and lines that the two tones create... Much like the BMW i8 someone posted earlier, cars also look great in white with black borders and tinted glass / panoramic sunroof.

June

Eh?

DualShock 4 was a huge improvement over the 3 and this looks like another jump.

Ds4 is miles better than the abomination that was the Ds3, but Ds4 is still not a good controller in it's own right.

Another jump? It's form factor is almost exactly the same as the DS4. And form is the most important thing for a controller - how it feels in your hand, how natural it feels so you dont get cramp or hurt wrists or no support for your palms etc.

I care much less about bells and whistlers and feature lists than I do about the form and comfort. And in that respect, this controller looks almost identical to the DS4. The handles have been made a bit thicker, that's it...

Aceofspades

Banned
Where do you get $30 from, DS4 cost $59,99.
I think it will be the same as all the R&D is factored into the price, DS3 was $54.99 IIRC.

What!! I remember buying 4 controllers for $120 . It must have been on discount then

Last edited:
Ds4 is miles better than the abomination that was the Ds3, but Ds4 is still not a good controller in it's own right.

Another jump? It's form factor is almost exactly the same as the DS4. And form is the most important thing for a controller - how it feels in your hand, how natural it feels so you dont get cramp or hurt wrists or no support for your palms etc.

I care much less about bells and whistlers and feature lists than I do about the form and comfort. And in that respect, this controller looks almost identical to the DS4. The handles have been made a bit thicker, that's it...

Why don’t you wait till you actually hold one?

I thought the Xbox One controller looked nice but didn’t like that sticks or bumper buttons when I actually got one in my hands.

I ended up preferring the PS4 pad by a long margin.

Damigos

I clicked the thread not expecting much. Just the same DS4 controller.
But now that i saw it i like so much i want one now

June

Tell me which two grips look most similar.
IkVJxxS.jpg

Uhh the DS5 & DS4 obviously ??

The xbone grips angle outward - to the sides - and properly dig into your palms

The DS4 & DS5 grips angle backward behind the controller and thus (I'm presuming for the DS5) provide no support for your the underside of your thumb part of your palm

ArcaneNLSC

Very dissapointed. It's far too similar to the DS4 so I'm guessing it'll have the exact same problems as the DS4.

Fuck, man. They should've been braver in making this more different than what came before.

Uhhhhhh what about how similar the Xbone controller is to the series x one?

NEdJCcABnfvCKFAvUH8i4R-1200-80.jpg
EVBxXEtXkAA4Pxe

ZywyPL

Banned

WUT? It's looks anything like DS4, are we looking at the same pics??

Tell me which two grips look most similar.
IkVJxxS.jpg

This comparison clearly shows that DS5>XB>Amiga joystick> DS4.

Last edited:

June

If it had the Vita D-Pad or what DS now has it would have been IMO, love the uniformity.

Youre talking about features when I;m talking about form and shape.

Xbone controller has close to perfect shape, it just rests in your hand so nicely.

It absolutely has issues with d-pad, loose sticks etc. But it's shape is prime.

Shin

Banned
Youre talking about features when I;m talking about form and shape.

Xbone controller has close to perfect shape, it just rests in your hand so nicely.

It absolutely has issues with d-pad, loose sticks etc. But it's shape is prime.
I'm talking about both actually, the overall aesthetics is perfect, which is why it hasn't changed much over 3 generations.
Though same can be said about PlayStation and to some extent DS4 as well, 1-4 generations practically unchanged.
But and without console warring I think it's a testament to Xbox's controller's ergonomics that DualSense's grips look like it.
I forgot the saying, something something form of flattery...you get the idea.

June

I'm talking about both actually, the overall aesthetics is perfect, which is why it hasn't changed much over 3 generations.
Though same can be said about PlayStation and to some extent DS4 as well, 1-4 generations practically unchanged.
But and without console warring I think it's a testament to Xbox's controller's ergonomics that DualSense's grips look like it.
I forgot the saying, something something form of flattery...you get the idea.

DS5 grips are more similar to DS4 than the Xbone though......

longdi

Banned
Any information on the battery life?

Only their usual half full disclosure as below.
What do they mean 'strong' battery life? Recharge cycles or time before discharge?

We also took thoughtful consideration into ways to maintain a strong battery life for DualSense’s rechargeable battery, and to lessen the weight of the controller as much as possible as new features were added.

Varny

Banned
Only their usual half full disclosure as below.
What do they mean 'strong' battery life? Recharge cycles or time before discharge?

So, the Capacity of the DualShock 4 battery 1000 mAh. Would be interesting to know what the capacity is now and how long it lasts.

This was the biggest issue that I had with mine, I actually had to buy two DS Controllers, because I hate playing with a long ass cable. It's weird that they don't give us at least a typical amount of hours or something. Wonder why?!

Top Bottom