• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InXile's Brian Fargo interviewed by Eurogamer regarding Microsoft Aquisition

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Since I am very interested in Wasteland 3 I found this interesting regarding their potential future-

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-19-inxile-acquired-by-microsoft-the-interview

A few tidbits from the article-

On Wasteland 3 still coming to PS4-

"Brian Fargo: That's right. That's coming to PS4. Absolutely. "

On the Acquisition's effect on their fig involvement -

"Brian Fargo: Well, on a practical level, we probably won't be crowdfunding any more. "

On potential increase in staffing-

"Brian Fargo: In the short-term we talk about increasing it 30 per cent or so. "

HyGogg

Banned
inXile has really abused the crowdfunding thing. Hitting people up for millions, over and over, because they want to "keep their independence" and then selling out to a first party.

I don't really care either way if they're indie or backed by someone but it lays bare what a dishonest sales pitch that always was.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
inXile has really abused the crowdfunding thing. Hitting people up for millions, over and over, because they want to "keep their independence" and then selling out to a first party.

I don't really care either way if they're indie or backed by someone but it lays bare what a dishonest sales pitch that always was.

The way I look at that, in particular their crowdfunding, is they shipped two products (that I know of) that were funded, Wasteland 2 and Bards Tale 4, and a third, Wasteland 3 that probably would have made it to market having been crowdfunded via Fig. As long as they meet the standards outlined in the crowd funding adverts what they do after meeting those and how they are funded I am fine with. If they get roped into games I do not like due to MS then I will move on and not buy it.

HyGogg

Banned
The way I look at that, in particular their crowdfunding, is they shipped two products (that I know of) that were funded, Wasteland 2 and Bards Tale 4, and a third, Wasteland 3 that probably would have made it to market having been crowdfunded via Fig. As long as they meet the standards outlined in the crowd funding adverts what they do after meeting those and how they are funded I am fine with. If they get roped into games I do not like due to MS then I will move on and not buy it.
The thing is, inXile as a company as well as Fargo personally have never really been short of the funds to bring any of these games to market. They could have produced these games without crowdfunding, but crowdfunding has some added benefits in terms of mitigating risk as well marketing and reinforcing community, so they put out this bogus narrative about independence and need when it was about neither.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
The thing is, inXile as a company as well as Fargo personally have never really been short of the funds to bring any of these games to market. They could have produced these games without crowdfunding, but crowdfunding has some added benefits in terms of mitigating risk as well marketing and reinforcing community, so they put out this bogus narrative about independence and need when it was about neither.

I cannot comment on their funding as I have no clue, but the part about independence is what worries me about them going first party. While he says in the interview they still have freedom I hope that is true. I would love to have a game like Wasteland have graphics on par with say the upcoming Mutant Year Zero game adding in more environmental interactions and tactics and fleshing out the environments but still keeping the Isometric type game-play.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
God I could do without hearing from Chad Moore. He was the final nail in the coffin for Wildstar
Wildstar was mismanaged by NCSoft who also recently fired a lot of ArenaNet staffs(who were poached by Undead Labs) to focus on mobile gaming. This guy worked on Fallout 2 and Arcanum, and I have faith in what he can cook up.

Ballthyrm

They could have produced these games without crowdfunding, but crowdfunding has some added benefits in terms of mitigating risk as well marketing and reinforcing community, so they put out this bogus narrative about independence and need when it was about neither.

I don't see where you are getting that from, when again and again, we hear about how hard it is to maintain a studio independent.
Arkane studio barely survived for 10 year before getting acquired by Bethesda, the same can be said for Obsidian Entertainment which were close to shutting down the studio if not for pillar of eternity. We keep having example of this, when even the greatest studios from time to time have to make games on order (looking at you The Legend of Korra)

I don't doubt the sincerity of Brian Fargo when he said they needed the money, and as far as i'm concerned they delivered exactly what they said they were going to.
Making video games is risky and saying they couldn't have done it without crowdfunding is disingenuous, YOU don't know, the only people who know are working at in-Exile.

I really can't stand this shit and putting evil intent where none exist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom