• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

io9: "Every Single Doctor Who Story, Ranked from Best to Worst"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
23) The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang

Nope Nope Nope! Those episodes were really bad!

Nope, they were fantastic.

Best payoff to a season-long arc since the series came back.

In fact all River Song episodes were great up to and including Day of the Moon. Didn't start falling apart until after that.

Discounted-Tardis-Doctor-Who-Starry-Night-police-box-20x30-inches-Throw-Pillow-Cases-Retro-cute-cotton.jpg

Look at the sky. It's not dark and black and without character. The black is, in fact deep blue. And over there: lighter blue and blowing through the blues and blackness the winds swirling through the air and then shining, burning, bursting through: the stars! And you see how they roar their light. Everywhere we look, the complex magic of nature blazes before our eyes.

Some breakdowns...

Doctor introductions in order:

1: Rose (17)
2: The Chrismas Invasion (22)
3: The Eleventh Hour (27)
4: Power of the Daleks (39)
5: Robot (47)
6: Deep Breath (85)
7: Spearhead from Space (90)
8: Castrovalva (138)
9: An Unearthly Child (164)
10: The TV Movie (210)
11: The Twin Dilemma (222)
12: Time and the Rani (251)

Last Doctor story in order:

1: Cave of Androzani (1)
2: Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways (49)
3: The End of Time (60)
4: Survival (91)
5: Time of the Doctor (127)
6: Logopolis (132)
7: The War Games (137)
8: The Tenth Planet (141)
9: Planet of the Spiders (145)
10: The Ultimate Foe (253)

PaulloDEC

Nope, they were fantastic.

Best payoff to a season-long arc since the series came back.

In fact all River Song episodes were great up to and including Day of the Moon. Didn't start falling apart until after that.

Take note people: this here is what a right opinion looks like.

Some breakdowns...

It's funny, but when I look at the list generally some of it really gets my ire, but then when I look at these I think they're 100% bang on. I'd put Deep Breath lower though.

Htown

Some breakdowns...

They need to switch the Eleventh Hour and Rose.

They should also switch The War Games and The End of Time.

woolley

Haven't watched the classic series but "The Doctor's Wife" is probably my favorite episode. It always seems to be the one that sticks out to me.

Some breakdowns...

Eleventh Hour over Rose. I know how important Rose was to establishing the new series but I think Eleventh Hour was just as important to establishing a new Doctor and is easily the better store to boot.

Spearhead should by higher as well.

As for Last Doctor stories I would have The War Games number one with the rest of the list pretty much as it stands.

Dalek

Eleventh hour is great-Deep Breath feels off to me. Something is wrong with the pacing. It's also a longer episode but doesn't really get moving until The Doctor and Clara meet up at the restaurant.

Vibranium

Banned
Even though I love Tomb of the Cybermen too, I can understand how they might have knocked off some points for the story being unbelievably racist.

I mean, yeah it's racist, but 37 is still too low.

And Spearhead from Space should be in the top ten, it establishes how suave the Third Doctor is effortlessly.

Eleventh hour is great-Deep Breath feels off to me. Something is wrong with the pacing. It's also a longer episode but doesn't really get moving until The Doctor and Clara meet up at the restaurant.

I think I am the only one on GAF who really enjoyed Deep Breath.

I want a fan edit of Deep Breath that cuts at least 20 minutes off. Too many pointless scenes, like the Strax medical exam scene that existed solely to show off that dumb Blue Peter gizmo.

somedevil

This was a favorite of mine:

28) The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit (2006) - a great foray into horror, in which Satan claims the humans on a planet orbiting a black hole, but the Doctor outwits the Devil.

Is that your religion?

JeTmAn81

Haven't watched a ton of Who in my time. Looks like a bunch is on Netflix, watching Caves of Androzani now.

Dryk

There's some really good stuff in Deep Breath. Basically whenever the Clara or the Doctor are on screen after the scene in alley its great.

Nista

Maybe I'm just not a fan of what they did with the Autons, but I'd rather watch Castrovalva or Spearhead again much more than Rose. Many of the new series episodes feel overrated in this, which just makes me old and cranky I guess. :)

I wouldn't put War Games higher than Androzani, mostly due to pacing issues in the middle of the story. But that's a why I don't think comparing new to old show always works, when stories from the 60s were presented in such a vastly different format from today's television.

Now if only a streaming service had all the existing episodes, they'd have my money!

batbeg

Every now and again I try to get into Classic Who on Netflix and quit after a few hours, usually followed by binging some NuWho. Anyway I'm now watching The Green Death which is where I last left off.

BTails

Not a TERRIBLE list, and I certainly agree that Caves of Androzani is the best story of all time... But I'm rather disappointed that my second favourite story, Inferno, doesn't show up until #40.

Kurdel

Banned
Just bought and watched Caves of the Androzani because of this list.

I was expecting more with how highly you guys speak of it, but it was still really good.

VanWinkle

Wow, I'm honestly shocked Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead is "only" number 55. That two-parter is probably in my top 5, and they're extremely highly rated, too.

Htown

Not a TERRIBLE list, and I certainly agree that Caves of Androzani is the best story of all time... But I'm rather disappointed that my second favourite story, Inferno, doesn't show up until #40.
oh man inferno was some dark shit

Horrible list, but given how many episodes there are it's impossible for many people to agree with anyones list I guess.

That is awful. It should be in the top 5. The conversation between Two and Victoria is one of the best in the series.

An episode where everyone's death is the doctors fault because of his vanity? I don't think so.

Meh, It mostly o.k, I would put the following in the top tier:

The Angels Take Manhattan

Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (also is that why people think Moffat is sexiest because wtf, if anything he is referring to beautiful people as been a bit vapid).

The Beast Below - Fantastic episode that made a promise on the nature of the new companion, that the show couldn't keep.

Boem

This proves that it's just a bit weird to rank modern stories in the same list as classic stories. I know it's the same show, but in many ways it's also very, very different. Hell, even comparing Hartnell to Pertwee, or Baker, or McCoy is difficult for that reason.

I don't agree with a lot of the choices here, but eh, you always get that with lists like this. I definitely would put Eleventh Hour above Rose or Christmas Invasion - neither episode is really good. You could argue that Rose was an important landmark for the show, but that doesn't make it good - and that would mean Unearthly Child should be way higher as well (although the last three episodes kinda ruin it, the first episode is still damn good). Eleventh Hour and most of season 5 (and some parts of season 6) actually was very heavy on the Douglas Addams influences, which is what makes me love those seasons.

I'm bad with choosing favorites, but even though Androzani is good, I wouldn't rate it quite so high. That story felt more like a high point in a period where the show was already starting to lose itself (and went completely off the rails after that). There have been better stories before. I would choose City of Death as my favorite, but that may be clouded in nostalgia as that was my first story, which I saw in one of the happiest periods of my life and which started my sick obsession with this show.

We made some lists in one of the recent Doctor Who threads of our personal favorite stories for each Doctor (which I think is a bit more useful in ranking these stories), and I still stand by my list:

Hartnell: The Time Meddler (or: First episode of Unearthly Child, Marco Polo, Aztecs, Gunfighters, War Machines)

Throughton: The War Games (or: Power of the Daleks, Faceless Ones, Evil of the Daleks, Tomb of the Cybermen, Abominable Snowmen, Enemy of the World, Seeds of Death)

Pertwee: The Green Death (or: Terror of the Autons, Mind of Evil, Daemons, Time Monster (it's crap but super enjoyable crap), Three Doctors, Invasion of the Dinosaurs (see Time Monster)

Tom Baker: City of Death (or: Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, Brain of Morbius, Seeds of Doom, Masque of Mandragora, Robots of Death, Deadly Assassin, Talons of Weng-Chian, Horror of Fang Rock, Shada)

Davison: Caves of Androzani (not a fan of the last part of the classic series, so no runner ups I'm afraid. Not familiar enough with the stories either)

Colin Baker: The Two Doctors

McCoy: Ghost Light

McGann: Night of the Doctor (the movie was crap, so not much choice here)

Hurt: Day of the Doctor (again, not much choice here. Although I liked the episode with his earlier cameo a lot as well, but that was more a Smith episode)

Eccleston: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

Tennant: Girl in the Fireplace

Smith: Vincent and the Doctor

Capaldi (so far, early days): Listen

Of those Doctors/stories, my favorites would have to be Hartnell, Throughton (I have a major soft spot for 60s scifi, but I understand it's not for everyone), Tom Baker, and Smith. Really happy with Capaldi as well, he could join my list of favorites, but we'll have to see more of him first. Season 5 is the high point of the modern series, season 13 and 14 the high point of the classic series (Tom Baker's second and third series). Vincent and the Doctor is easily the high point of the modern series. No other episode has come close. I hope we'll ever get an episode that comes close to that again.

Best Doctor: always Throughton.

Everything in this post is the truth.

Everything in this post is the truth.

List war time is best time

Remembrance of the Daleks will forever be my fave, and McCoy my favourite doctor.

Hartnell: The Romans, The Time Meddler, The Aztecs, The Daleks

Troughton: The War Games, The Mind Robber, The Seeds of Death, The Invasion

Pertwee: Day of the Daleks (SE), Spearhead from Space, Carnival of Monsters, Doctor Who and the Silurians, Inferno, Terror of the Autons

Tom Baker: The Seeds of Doom, Genesis of the Daleks, The Ribos Operation, City of Death, The Masque of Mandragora, The Talons of Weng-Chiang, The Androids of Tara, Horror of Fang Rock

Davison: Earthshock, The Caves of Androzani, Enlightenment, Mawdryn Undead

Colin Baker: Terror of the Vervoids, Vengeance on Varos, The Two Doctors

McCoy: Remembrance of the Daleks,The Curse of Fenric (DC), Ghost Light, Survival, The Greatest Show in the Galaxy

Eccleston: The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances, Dalek, Father’s Day

Tennant: Blink, Turn Left/The Stolen Earth/Journey's End, Human Nature/The Family of Blood, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit, Gridlock, Smith and Jones, The Fires of Pompeii

Smith: The Eleventh Hour, Vincent and the Doctor, The Doctor's Wife, The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon, A Christmas Carol

Capaldi: Flatline....maybe caretaker and mummy on oe? need to rewatch those.

What the FUCK is Gridlock doing so low. Garbage list.

Worse than Victory of the Daleks? Worse than The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe? GAH.

SomTervo

So I saw this thread title on the front page, where it was truncated to: "Every Single Doctor Who..."

And I filled in the blanks, and imagined it might read: "Every Single Doctor Who Has Been White and Male".

On the one hand I thought, 'Man, I'm a feminist but this shit goes so overboard these days'

On the other hand, I though, 'Holy shit, there are no rules around what gender or race a Doctor could be (... other than human) and yet we have 20+, all white and male Doctors. I would fucking love a female Doctor and that would probably get me back on board with the show (not watched since the '80s ones).

Probably not the thread to discuss this. But any thoughts?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead all the way at 55 and Gridlock at 159? WTF? Boo. And The Lodger lower than Library? I love that episode.

Boem

So I saw this thread title on the front page, where it was truncated to: "Every Single Doctor Who..."

And I filled in the blanks, and imagined it might read: "Every Single Doctor Who Has Been White and Male".

On the one hand I thought, 'Man, I'm a feminist but this shit goes so overboard these days'

On the other hand, I though, 'Holy shit, there are no rules around what gender or race a Doctor could be (... other than human) and yet we have 20+, all white and male Doctors. I would fucking love a female Doctor and that would probably get me back on board with the show (not watched since the '80s ones).

They (the production team) say a female Doctor at one point is possible, and it's possible in the 'lore' of Doctor Who (the Master is female now), but I honestly don't think it'll happen anytime soon. I would be fine with it for the change, but it would be a very difficult. I don't think it's the BBC being sexist, I just think it's them being careful with the format of one of their most successful shows. It would make multidoctor stories a lot more interesting though.

There's no reason we won't get a black or asian Doctor soon though. Just like with James Bond, it's about time that happened. Not just to be politically correct - a lot of non-white kids watch this show as well, and it can only be good for that generation for one of their heroes to look anything other than white.

I always thought Mos Def as Ford Prefect in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy movie would make a great Doctor (and obviously the character was originally written as a weird version of the Doctor):

hq28qjutqvngwp8udwlq.jpg

I think the universe might implode if you play Ford Prefect and the Doctor in the same lifetime though.

D_prOdigy

I don't find anything violently disagreeable other than that I'd have Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon MUCH higher than 67. That's one of my favourites

It's absolutely on the table, and the recent casting of Michelle Gomez as the Master has made a woman playing the Doctor all-but inevitable down the line.

People have a go at Moffat for stuff like this, but he's canonised the possibility of a change in gender in regeneration with the Master, as well as the possibility of a change of race (when River Song regenerated into Alex Kingston, she went from a mixed-race actress to a Caucasian one).

I see they count A Good Man Goes to War and Lets Kill Hitler as one serial. Too bad because the former is great while the latter is complete trash.

Also happy to see them rank Time Heist, The Beast Below and Robots of Sherwood reasonably high.

Kathian

Banned
Problem with these lists is they try to be definitive. I can't see any real pattern here. Its more or less a mix of stories other people would have in their top lost.

Also Doctors Wife is a fun run around but the TARDIS is still just a box by the end and I prefer to think the TARDIS was being repaired after trying to kill its pilots by taking then to dangerous locations.

MrChom

Midnight. In the top 10.

Well this list is clearly off to a bad start from there. I'm not even sure how something that drawn out and dull even manages the top 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom