• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

io9: "Every Single Doctor Who Story, Ranked from Best to Worst"

Status
Not open for further replies.

spunodi

I'm in the group that doesn't like Midnight either. It's basically an entire episode of when you tell someone "Stop copying me!" and they respond "Stop copying me!"

Exactly this for me.

It's even right next to Turn Left in the same series, a dark what-if tale that even managed to make the Adipose and Space Titanic threats have sincerely dire consequences. I honestly don't see why Midnight gets the praise it does.

I'm in the group that doesn't like Midnight either. It's basically an entire episode of when you tell someone "Stop copying me!" and they respond "Stop copying me!"
Oh, God. I didn't realize that episode was Midnight. It had great potential, but it never tipped into scary or psychological. Such a great concept that started spinning its wheels midway through and never quite shot off to anything more than being annoying as hell. I can only watch idiots yelling at each other for so long.

PBalfredo

I'm surprised people liked Dalek (2005), I though it was awful. Rose bumbles around until she accidentally revives an alien death machine. Said alien death machine then proceeds to kill tons of dudes, and the only idea the Doctor can come up with for most of the episode is "Send more army dudes!", despite know how that will turn out. Then at the end when the Doctor is ready to kill the damn thing himself, Rose says no it may have killed a hundred dues just this afternoon and it's sad only because it's not a perfect murderborg and it doesn't have other death machines to go on happy-killing-fun-time-adventures with, but it didn't kill her specifically so it's probably nice now! Then the dalek gets Rose to help kill itself because even it is done with this episode.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm surprised people liked Dalek (2005), I though it was awful. Rose bumbles around until she accidentally revives an alien death machine. Said alien death machine then proceeds to kill tons of dudes, and the only idea the Doctor can come up with for most of the episode is "Send more army dudes!", despite know how that will turn out. Then at the end when the Doctor is ready to kill the damn thing himself, Rose says no it may have killed a hundred dues just this afternoon and it's sad only because it's not a perfect murderborg and it doesn't have other death machines to go on happy-killing-fun-time-adventures with, but it didn't kill her specifically so it's probably nice now! Then the dalek gets Rose to help kill itself because even it is done with this episode.
Dalek is great because it was the reintroduction of the enemy. Many viewers were new to Who and had never witnessed their power before. Rose herself had never met one at that point. And it was helpless so she didn't know she could really do anything anyway. It is an example of humanity's hubris with the millionaire thinking he's rich enough to do whatever and own whatever he wants.

I love it.

PaulloDEC

I must be one of the few who couldn't stand The Doctor's Wife. Good idea on paper. Poorly executed.

Vincent and the Doctor was good, but the final scene was waaaay too cheesy.

Besides that, I like the list.

I've never quite warmed to "The Doctor's Wife". There were parts of it I really loved, but turning the TARDIS into a kooky woman with whom the Doctor can have a weird, flirty relationship didn't work for me at all. The nature of the TARDIS as an intelligent force is something that I think works much better as a great mystery, and the one-sidedness of the relationship, funnily enough, always added a wonderful sense of sad romance to it.

In this story, it kinda felt like "We've explained it all, do you like it more now?" to me.

Been catching up on the newer series recently and I've just finished S7. Quite liked the finale, although there wasn't actually any consequences for the Doctor entering his own timeline. I suppose that's just how they always have to write them. Watched Girl in the Fireplace too for the first time, and that was really great. Episodes which actually make use of the time travel aspect are oddly rare.

Tansut

In hindsight it's a shame that this list wasn't saved until after this last season finished so Heaven Sent could get more recognition for being so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom