• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is a truly magical piece of shit

SHARKvince

Neo Member
My App Store wish list is gone (WTF Apple? I had some awesome indies on there I meant to buy at some point...), and I’m also sick of not being able to quickly turn on/off WiFi. I hate that it keeps turning itself on automatically.

Agraavan

One more chiming in on the battery draining fast as a mofo. I have battery saver on full time now and it still is not enough to keep the battery of my Iphone 6 alive the whole day with moderate use, even though It got through with 20~30% before. It's utterly abysmal.

I regret updating. And on top of that the podcast app is atrocious and added like 3 more clicks for each command.

Yup,partners 7 is a slow piece of shit,she's fed up.After full resets restarts wiped etc still no good.Shes currently eyeing the Pixel 2 xl

Just had this randomly happen to me:

quO3ozI.jpg

Apple have really shat the bed with this update.

IISANDERII

I think I have to agree, the meeting I was at yesterday. It had like 5 iPhone users, one of which a HUGE Apple fan. Constantly cursing and even the Apple fan called it "worst update ever!". It seems that there are some major issues with this release and that it should have stayed a bit longer in Beta.
I’m using iPhone 📱 5S and I’m really surprised at this thread because I’ve yet to experience any glitches, freezes or locks.
Not noticing more drainage on battery either.

Knock on my wood.

But also I’m not using iTunes or the podcast app. I use Overcast
Don’t use iMessage or Safari either, I use WhatsApp and Crome

Foxix Von

Yeah 6s here. It hard locks no less than once a day, requiring a reboot. Apps hang constantly, the wifi toggle is endlessly frustrating, scrolling across the home screens is jerky, etc. I've been a big fan of iOS since switching from Android but this update really fucking shit the bed.

Edit: one thing that really pisses me off is that randomly the music player widget just stops working. Can't change volume, skip tracks, etc. Can't adjust any music until actually opening the music app itself.

Yeah 6s here. It hard locks no less than once a day, requiring a reboot. Apps hang constantly, the wifi toggle is endlessly frustrating, scrolling across the home screens is jerky, etc. I've been a big fan of iOS since switching from Android but this update really fucking shit the bed.

Edit: one thing that really pisses me off is that randomly the music player widget just stops working. Can't change volume, skip tracks, etc. Can't adjust any music until actually opening the music app itself.

I feel you.

6S here. I hate the lag on the home screen scrolling. Also the keyboard is killing me with the lag.

Apple please help!

Heysoos

I've noticed my 6S Plus randomly drain much faster now after the update. Thinking of doing a factory reset, hopefully it helps. I've also had the keyboard refusing to come up, so I have to completely close the app I'm using to get it to come up again.

Doodis

I've noticed my 6S Plus randomly drain much faster now after the update. Thinking of doing a factory reset, hopefully it helps. I've also had the keyboard refusing to come up, so I have to completely close the app I'm using to get it to come up again.

I went into battery usage to see what was up and the update changed my email to automatically update instead of fetch when I opened the app. This was taking 50% of my usage.

I changed it but I'm still having battery issues. I've had to go into low power mode nearly every evening since I updated, and last night my phone finally died at the end of the day. This literally has never happened in nearly two years of using the phone the same practically every day.

11.0.3 has been released and fixes the following BUT does NOT fix any of my issues:

- Fixes an issue where audio and haptic feedback would not work on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices

- Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not serviced with genuine Apple parts

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't have any huge issues with iOS 11. But I do have some weird bugs on the current 11.1 PB.

The one I hate the most is when the "cover sheet" music widget gets desynced with the Music app and displays blank as if nothing is playing. It happened yesterday when I got in my car and it started playing my music. I then noticed that my phone wasn't sending the music data over BlueTooth to my car so it was displaying as "Unknown" by "Unknown". I opened the Music app and it's working fine. How are these bugs? How do you break things that worked fine constantly with every update? Apple is the king of breaking shit that worked fine before. And I don't mean changing it to make it look different, I mean making stuff they didn't even touch just suddenly not work right anymore.

I got it fixed by rebooting the phone.

Savitar

My phone doesn't always seem to register things when I try to use it since the update. It freezes and lags. The battery drains fast but it's been like that for awhile now. The ipad Air 2 has performed better.

Mortemis

Banned
Glad I didn't update, still on iOS 10 on my 6S+. I know a bunch of people who complain about the update, and how their phone dies so quickly now. Pretty shitty.

jimmypython

this happens on my 6S all the time.

Jarsonot

I appreciate this thread. Held off on updating due to losing 32-bit apps. Think I'll wait for some bug fixes.

Sorry for those who are having problems. =(

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I went into battery usage to see what was up and the update changed my email to automatically update instead of fetch when I opened the app. This was taking 50% of my usage.

I changed it but I'm still having battery issues. I've had to go into low power mode nearly every evening since I updated, and last night my phone finally died at the end of the day. This literally has never happened in nearly two years of using the phone the same practically every day.

battery usage should still tell you what is using up the battery.

this is what I'm not understanding. Everyone saying "my battery is dying".. There is a page telling you exactly what app, system or third party, is using up your battery.

ios 11.0.3 is out and includes bug fixes for your iPhone or iPad.

This update:

- Fixes an issue where audio and haptic feedback would not work on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices
- Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not services with genuine Apple parts

Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use Apple parts. See support.apple.com for more information.

ios 11.0.3 is out and includes bug fixes for your iPhone or iPad.

This update:

- Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not services with genuine Apple parts

Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use Apple parts. See support.apple.com for more information.

Why won't they acknowledge the laggy keyboard and homescreen some users are experiencing? :(

Doodis

battery usage should still tell you what is using up the battery.

this is what I'm not understanding. Everyone saying "my battery is dying".. There is a page telling you exactly what app, system or third party, is using up your battery.

I've looked at it. The email thing I already mentioned was the only thing that stood out. But I'm still getting far less battery life than I used to overall.

My 5S has been smooth sailing since the update. Maybe people need to downgrade back to the 5S :3

But that is awful that's it's been so bad for people that they have switched phones, shelling out more monies ; ;

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Don't use an iPhone anymore, but I've heard similar horror stories about the new macOS, going to avoid upgrading my macs until the issues have been ironed out. Not sure what's going on at Apple these days, they were always dependable on the software side of things.

On a 6 here. It's ok so far? They murdered the podcast app in cold god damn blood though. Jesus.

What did they do with the Podcast app? Remove it completely? When I had an iPhone, it was my most used app.

Ovek

7Member7
As someone who manages hundreds of iPads every day all I can say is... iOS 11 from a user point of view Apples planed obsolescence is in full effect and it runs like shit on hardware that’s maybe a couple of years old. And the entire os is full of weird jank and shockingly you seem to get more jank depending how old your iPhone or iPad is. I honestly think they don’t bother doing full testing on even the last gen hardware.

And the management end... oh dear it’s never been brilliant, you still can’t control the os updates which is fucking retarded just as an example. But the worst is in typical Apple fashion they changed things between the last beta and the release version without detailing them to Admins, you know the fucking people that might need to know. The best new “feature” is app installations halting when the iOS device goes to sleep which royally breaks zero touch DEP deployments.

So yes iOS 11 is shit but then so was iOS 10 and 9... remind me why people insist on buying Apple stuff again.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I feel you.

6S here. I hate the lag on the home screen scrolling. Also the keyboard is killing me with the lag.

Apple please help!
You can alleviate the lag issues significantly if you do a full erase and OS install from scratch. Or maybe even better, a DFU restore. I had to do that on my iphone 6 because after a normal ios10 -> ios11 update, the phone was literally unusable. With the OS install process done from scratch, things were much better, but still far from the overall smoothness of iOS10. Also, I didn't do a restore of my backup, I literally did everything from scratch, installing only the basic apps I needed to, and restoring photos and messages from icloud (this was back when in the beta it was possible to restore messages like that, nowadays you will lose your messages if you do this process). I tried restoring the backup, but that just made the phone unusable again, just the same as it was initially. No idea what it was about my backup that made it be like that, but I am dragging it since the iphone 3GS days so who knows.

Don't use an iPhone anymore, but I've heard similar horror stories about the new macOS, going to avoid upgrading my macs until the issues have been ironed out. Not sure what's going on at Apple these days, they were always dependable on the software side of things.
MacOS did have its share of issues with people who wanted to use encrypted disk volumes, but for me, to be honest it was the best MacOS update ever. It made my laptop FLY on its internal GPU compared to how it was like before. It's like I got a different computer entirely, pretty much.

Kyoufu

No issues with High Sierra yet on my 2016 MBP 15". It feels pretty much the same as ever.

Dazzler

It's a pretty bad update

It's caused me to migrate away from the official podcast app because it's regressed so much

Also, the new look of the messages app and Whatsapp is appalling. So much wasted space, I have no idea what they were thinking

Kyoufu

Except the UI renders like 2x as smoothly on iGPU now. That was a real pain point of 2016/2017 MBP and it's so much better now.

I think I've had it on dGPU for a long time now so that's probably why I haven't noticed.

I don't know about your MBP but I used to have constant freezing when watching YouTube videos on Chrome but an update before High Sierra managed to fix that for me. For me that small update was the real MVP.

skybald

My 5S has been smooth sailing since the update. Maybe people need to downgrade back to the 5S :3

But that is awful that's it's been so bad for people that they have switched phones, shelling out more monies ; ;

You won’t catch me dead upgrading just because the phone gets slower. I will just tough it out and tell them to fuck off. If my phone became unusable because of an update, I would change platforms.

Dabanton

music player in the control center still doesn't recognize when other apps other than apple music is playing audio...sigh

it doesn't even recognize when you're playing from the music app itself. So I have to unlock it to put the volume up and pause it.

Absolutely hilarious

Top Bottom