• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is a truly magical piece of shit

Vyer

My general troubleshooting list, in order of severity/hassle:

1. Kill all apps in memory and reboot phone
2. Make sure all apps are updated
3. Check battery list, kill apps drawing most power and monitor. If there are improvements and apps are third party, uninstall those apps, reboot and reinstall.
4. Restore phone from last good backup.
5. Restore phone as New, do not bring back backup

Also, consider utilizing iCloud for backups and photo storage, it makes that last step a lot less damaging (you will still lose imessages). Save for general bugs that won’t get fixed until an OS update, or an actual hardware issue (which means it’s time for an Apple Store trip), these are the best chances for solving issues in my experience. No guarantees, but maybe it’ll help someone.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
My general troubleshooting list, in order of severity/hassle:

1. Kill all apps in memory and reboot phone
2. Make sure all apps are updated
3. Check battery list, kill apps drawing most power and monitor. If there are improvements and apps are third party, uninstall those apps, reboot and reinstall.
4. Restore phone from last good backup.
5. Restore phone as New, do not bring back backup

Also, consider utilizing iCloud for backups and photo storage, it makes that last step a lot less damaging (you will still lose imessages). Save for general bugs that won’t get fixed until an OS update, or an actual hardware issue (which means it’s time for an Apple Store trip), these are the best chances for solving issues in my experience. No guarantees, but maybe it’ll help someone.
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but if I'm releasing an OS update that results in a substantial number of users having to do a reset on their phone, then maybe I would reconsider launching said update.

score01

Rocking an old school 6. Performed the upgrade over the air and no probs so far.

The control centre wifi/Bluetooth thing is stupid though. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs to be nipple twisted. hard.

You can alleviate the lag issues significantly if you do a full erase and OS install from scratch. Or maybe even better, a DFU restore. I had to do that on my iphone 6 because after a normal ios10 -> ios11 update, the phone was literally unusable. With the OS install process done from scratch, things were much better, but still far from the overall smoothness of iOS10. Also, I didn't do a restore of my backup, I literally did everything from scratch, installing only the basic apps I needed to, and restoring photos and messages from icloud (this was back when in the beta it was possible to restore messages like that, nowadays you will lose your messages if you do this process). I tried restoring the backup, but that just made the phone unusable again, just the same as it was initially. No idea what it was about my backup that made it be like that, but I am dragging it since the iphone 3GS days so who knows.

Thanks so much for the thorough explanation! I have been thinking about doing that and that was one of my questions, if perhaps dragging the backup since a long time ago could be causing this.

I have been dragging this backup since iPhone 4S in December 2011. But never had this kind of problem. I don't know if I should wait for a fix or just do a clean install.

I just don't want to reconfigure everything and re download apps.

Thanks so much for the thorough explanation! I have been thinking about doing that and that was one of my questions, if perhaps dragging the backup since a long time ago could be causing this.

I have been dragging this backup since iPhone 4S in December 2011. But never had this kind of problem. I don't know if I should wait for a fix or just do a clean install.

I just don't want to reconfigure everything and re download apps.

Don't do it. You shouldn't have to.

matt360

Overall I'm not a fan. Every time I wake my phone up my home screen is in portrait mode. It's also destroying my battery. It also keeps automatically connecting to wifi even when I turn wifi off in the control center.

Skbzi

Neo Member
If only the other offerings were faster than an iPhone 8, I would totally switch in a heartbeat.

iOS 11 is absolutely pathetic and by far the worst iOS i have ever had the displeasure of using.

I am using a 6S.

My screen randomly lights up as if I'm getting a notification, but I didn't. Kind of weird.

Everything seems a bit more sluggish too. Minor stuff, like the red numbers on my Gmail and missed calls take longer to disappear than they used to. Defaulting to finger prints and not just bringing the passcode prompt up automatically when a finger print fails, while unlocking via opening a notification is also annoying.

I have a 6 Plus.

Haven't noticed any battery problems.

I still miss iOS9. I haven't been satisfied with updates since that one.

killroy87

So I have an iPhone 8, and an Apple Watch Series 3, and I have been getting quite a few phantom buzz's on my phone, where it will vibrate for no reason, with no notification. The watch doesn't buzz when this happens, only the phone. It actually happens quite a few times a day. Not a massive deal, but it shouldn't be happening.

Any ideas what this might be?

dpunk3

Only thing I've had happen is my Discord app crash like 4 times in a row when I open it. Otherwise it either works fine or crashes like once every few days. Other than that, no issues here.

Z3M0G

I wanted to make this thread for the latest android OS on Galaxy phone... constant wifi issues, stripped down data management features... both important for low data limits in canada...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The only battery problem I’ve had on my 7 Plus is noticing that Twitter has been eating battery like candy. 52% right now in 24 hours after only 49 minutes of usage and 4 minutes background.

I really wish iOS had battery and data monitoring tools with the kind of data you find in iStats. I want charts of how much data is being used every day and a chart for every app showing how fast my battery was being used with a journal of what apps were using it during each period. Even if it’s a special dev feature you need to enable.

I mean 50% battery from not even an hours use of Twitter alone when all my other apps are less than 10%. Either this is Twitters fault or it’s iOS.

AllenShrz

yes, terrible on a 6s, full of bugs

• Icons disappear
  • Some apps freeze
  • Rewind, fast forward buttons on the control deck is too damn small
  • It keeps turning on BT even though I turn it off from settings
  • The keyboard freezes sometimes
  • I keep turning off live photo and the app resets itself back to activate live photos

zewone

I'm having the same problems on my 6S Plus. I thought my phone was outdated and planning on updating to iPhone X, but if it doesn't help the issues...what the hell.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Except the UI renders like 2x as smoothly on iGPU now. That was a real pain point of 2016/2017 MBP and it's so much better now.

Hmmmm...

Maybe I should upgrade my Mac Mini to try it out atleast(before I upgrade my Macbooks). Sierra has been really good for me though, so I'm a bit afraid that I'll lose the stability I have right now with Sierra.

Jag

My son's 7 fully locks up every day since the update. Loses cellphone connectivity randomly. This is not normal. We have 4 iphones in the house, but his is the only one with issues. Did the .3 update yesterday and still not working right.

Made an appointment with the Apple store this weekend. The phone is under a year old, so hopefully they will swap it out.

Pepiope

So I have an iPhone 8, and an Apple Watch Series 3, and I have been getting quite a few phantom buzz's on my phone, where it will vibrate for no reason, with no notification. The watch doesn't buzz when this happens, only the phone. It actually happens quite a few times a day. Not a massive deal, but it shouldn't be happening.

Any ideas what this might be?
I've been having that issue, but it actually is a notification for me. It'll buzz and light up, and I'll unlock the phone and find it was a new email or a twitter notification. Though I actually have to go in the apps and look for it.

On my 6s, it's definitely slower and some apps are slower not counting the many apps that i used that don't work with iOS11... so frustrating !

Not a fan of the new dashboard either. It's like they did change for the sake of change. Apple still need a lot of stability updates because it's for sure not stable right now.

Yes, i regret updating to iOS11.

ios 11.0.3 is out and includes bug fixes for your iPhone or iPad.

This update:

- Fixes an issue where audio and haptic feedback would not work on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices
- Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not services with genuine Apple parts

Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use Apple parts. See support.apple.com for more information.

I did that this morning and my 6+ feels sort of smoother than with 11.0.
It doesn‘t seem to have as many problems.

I don't want to have to do a restore again and lose all my text message history, saved passwords in apps, etc etc just to make my 7 Plus work properly. I already did it once while in beta and that didn't fix it.

StuffRuff

Update has been truly awful on my 7 Plus 128GB.

I'm now at the point where I know I need to do a complete wipe and set up as new phone, but I really shouldn't have to. The reliable Apple days of old are long gone I think....

I'm now at the point where I know I need to do a complete wipe and set up as new phone, but I really shouldn't have to. The reliable Apple days of old are long gone I think....

I had to do a full wipe on my 7+ too. Absolutely ridiculous.

Enco

I don't want to have to do a restore again and lose all my text message history, saved passwords in apps, etc etc just to make my 7 Plus work properly. I already did it once while in beta and that didn't fix it.
I think most people who say "reset everything" are grasping at straws.

It's a really shitty answer given by tech support who don't care enough to try and solve the problem. The chances of it truly fixing an issue are pretty slim. Especially if the issue is due to shitty software and is widespread.

Reseting your phone should only be done if you really think the issue is due to a faulty install. Doing a reset "just to try it" is a huge waste of time since it probably won't help. At least for 99% of issues.

The only real options are: 1) wait for a fix or 2) downgrade to an older OS version. Option 1 is probably best. It sucks but better than wasting your time trying shitty 'fixes'.

It's a really shitty answer given by tech support who don't care enough to try and solve the problem. The chances of it truly fixing an issue are pretty slim. Especially if the issue is due to shitty software and is widespread.

Reseting your phone should only be done if you really think the issue is due to a faulty install. Doing a reset "just to try it" is a huge waste of time since it probably won't help. At least for 99% of issues.

Not really, there is a difference between upgrading your software and doing a fresh install of the latest software. I dunno how many times i did a fresh install of ios or windows and got just a smoother experience overall.

platocplx

The only real options are: 1) wait for a fix or 2) downgrade to an older OS version. Option 1 is probably best. It sucks but better than wasting your time trying shitty 'fixes'.

I Think it maybe an app causing issues and the hassle of deleting one at a time to figure out which one is causing issues is annoying as hell.

I have a weird ass issue right now where my damn tinder app notifications are coming through in spanish. Its the weirdest thing, This is after an uninstalling etc.

has yours been freezing a lot?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

I appreciate your troubleshooting list. I'm just saying that, the fact that this list needs to exist a couple weeks out of the gate for the software upgrade means that maybe they shouldn't have released the upgrade just yet.

Restoring phones from old backups doesn't seem like something that I should have to do just to make newer software work better than older software.

(I wasn't intending to bitch at you lol. Just read your list and it was the last thing that I thought about before deciding to vent, hence my quoting it. Your list is really helpful! :D )

HF2014

Is the split view tab in safari a new thing? I constantly when scrolling up from down sometime touching my first tab to the left, it detach from the bar, and with it i can make a split view browsing, and offently doing it unintentional. Is there a way to turn that off??? Im not speaking about split view apps, which is off, but split view in Safari, which i havent found a option to turn off.

And second: God, i dont understand how techs in Apple work to have so much problems with so minimal harwares to test out. Chist thay have all the Iphone models, ipad model, so they got how many different systems to test, like 25-30? Its not like PC where there can be a million different combination of hardware. I seem to still have random battery problems with my air 2, and it freakin piss me off...

C.Mongler

I need to do a restore at some point this weekend. I was gifted an ole' Apple Watch last week, so I had to update to iOS 11 to use it. On my 6, it's fucking awful. There's literally no action I can take now where my phone doesn't lag behind. Usually it's just a few milliseconds, but more "heavy" tasks like opening a new app, opening a video, rotating the viewing window, etc. make my phone chug for 5-10 seconds. Shit sucks. Hopefully a restore brings it at least slightly up to speed. I was hoping to maybe bide my time on this thing for at least 6 more months, but a phone upgrade might be in order sooner now because this is driving me nuts.

Link

The Autumn Wind
It’s been buggy as hell on my 6, though I haven’t experienced any freezes, thankfully. I installed 11.0.3 last night, so we’ll see if that fixes anything. 11.01 and 11.02 didn’t really improve things. I’m planning to get the X, so I just have to hold out for a few more weeks.

Vyer

I appreciate your troubleshooting list. I'm just saying that, the fact that this list needs to exist a couple weeks out of the gate for the software upgrade means that maybe they shouldn't have released the upgrade just yet.

Restoring phones from old backups doesn't seem like something that I should have to do just to make newer software work better than older software.

(I wasn't intending to bitch at you lol. Just read your list and it was the last thing that I thought about before deciding to vent, hence my quoting it. Your list is really helpful! :D )

Ah. Though to be fair, The list has helped me long before 11. And variations of it can apply to other OSes. It’s just things I have done or have helped others with through work with their mobile devices. It’s just over the years working with various people I’ve found some of that useful.

I’m honestly of the opinion that a clean reload every once and a while (or with major OS updates) is extremely helpful in all aspects of computing, from windows desktops to tablets, but obviously it’s a bigger hassle for some.

Fularu

Banned
this happens on my 6S all the time.
Me too (but has been this way since 10.1).

Actually the music app is just awful now. Won't remember the last track when I pick it up, won't play a random list properly (sometimes will skip tracks just because, or repeat tracks within 3 songs)

It's so bad now.. i know I'm on a 6+ but that doesn't make me want to buy a new iphone

Man I really want to throw my 6+ out the window. Literally takes 5-10 seconds before the Mail app even loads. Opening emails and reading through threads just takes forever. Animations are all janky and shit. And I can't believe there's still the com.apple.music bug in my notification settings when I uninstall the Music app. Just for fun, I booted up an old Nexus 5 I had lying around and it actually feels like a FAST phone compared to my 6+.

I find in terms of bugs it's not that bad, it's on par with first release of 10, 9, 8, 7, maybe a tad worse.

Battery life, about the same, good/fine easily get a day or more on my measly old 6.

Performance? The worst my 6 has ever felt, but I know performance can get a little better with point releases, so holding out hope (or getting an X heh). Feels memory related. Like everything is snappy, but opening an app you haven't been on in a while, *white screen*...one second, two seconds, three seconds... COME ON!

But hey, great geekbench scores! /s

I feel for the Apple crowd, can't even downgrade to 10 since Apple stops signing previous versions, but updating straight away is always a bad idea, even in Android world.

Never experienced battery loss like I have with iOS 11 and iMessage notifications appear when locked then mysteriously disappear

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This nightmare of an operating system update turned my 6S+ phone from everyday convenience to an episode of Jackass - "what crazy thing are you gonna do next?!"

So far:
freezing when switching apps
texting lags
completely locks up when doing the most mundane things
music got completely deleted twice
took a photo of a celebrity this weekend and the rest of my photos were all deleted
alarm stopped working - hard reset fixes this for only a day or two

Bonus: I went to use iTunes backup restore and for the first time ever it is prompting me for an encryption password that I don't recall ever setting and apparently this is a known thing iTunes for PC does. I caved in and paid for their iCloud service because it couldn't support backing up my phone to it - so on top of all of this nonsense, I am now paying them an extra $12 a year so I don't lose my stuff. Legitimized ransomware.

Not the quality I associate with Apple products, may as well switch to Android. Joining the public beta for 11.1 to see if that helps.

Update to this, in case anyone is experiencing these issues:

Updating to public beta resolved or lessened the problems for me. Sometimes messenger will freeze but it is no longer a hard lock and closing or switching to another app resolves. Can definitely deal with that as opposed to restarting my phone every hour.

I wasn't having battery drain issues but now after installing the beta began to have the issue. Closing suspended apps resolves the issue.

I'm just glad my alarm works again.

Top Bottom