• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 is a truly magical piece of shit

RoKKeR

This is all interesting to read, my dad reported a lot of general frustration with his 6S Plus after going to iOS 11. He finally caved and got an 8 and says it's great now, but super frustrating for people who updated.

D6AMIA6N

On a 6+ and the jank is legit. If I can’t get an X, I will use this phone until it no longer functions at all.

iOS11 has done a number on my phone!

Arkeband

Banned
The update page on the App Store losing useful information like update size, while having a giant Hello World header is both hilarious and sad.

Their UI team has finally hit a point where I believe I can design better UI’s than them.

tariniel

The battery life is much, much worse. I lose an extra 15% per day to seemingly nothing.

I also really don't like the new UI for a lot of things, specifically I think the new appstore is awful. The wishlist is gone, I can't even see how large app udates are anymore to decide if I should use wifi or not, etc. The appstore app also never automatically checks for updates anymore. I used to get the red notification that updates were ready and now I have to actually open the app to check for them manually.

I also hate that I have a permanent sticker/app bar under everything in iMessage - is there a way to get rid of it forever? It always comes back.

Just really a bad look, I haven't been unhappy with an iOS update in a long time. Thankfully I don't have the jank/lag that lot of people are reporting or I'd probably sell the phone right now. As it is I'm already taking a look at some other phones.

I’ve been reading the reports on here and elsewhere. I’m very, very happy that my stint at AppleCare has been over for a while now. I feel for my former coworkers who must be getting hammered like it’s the Mac OS 10.7 release all over again.

DonShula

Man I really want to throw my 6+ out the window. Literally takes 5-10 seconds before the Mail app even loads. Opening emails and reading through threads just takes forever. Animations are all janky and shit. And I can't believe there's still the com.apple.music bug in my notification settings when I uninstall the Music app. Just for fun, I booted up an old Nexus 5 I had lying around and it actually feels like a FAST phone compared to my 6+.

Had the same problem and I switched to the Gmail app. It works much better and is more responsive. I’d recommend that if it’s an option for you.

You know your OS release is bad when you have people switching away from default apps in order to gain responsiveness.

Had the same problem and I switched to the Gmail app. It works much better and is more responsive. I’d recommend that if it’s an option for you.

You know your OS release is bad when you have people switching away from default apps in order to gain responsiveness.

I’m more fond of the Outlook app. No ads and email previews are more readable on Apple Watch.

DonShula

This is all interesting to read, my dad reported a lot of general frustration with his 6S Plus after going to iOS 11. He finally caved and got an 8 and says it's great now, but super frustrating for people who updated.

If I can’t get an X, I’m not sure what I’ll do, but to hell with giving Apple more money just because my previously functioning phone is a shell of its former self. If I hadn’t bought an Apple Watch, I honestly wouldn’t have updated to iOS 11.

Bliddo

Yeah, it's bad, even more so from a developer standpoint. You might experience rotation issues, but I have to pull my hair out to fix them.
There are decisions that are beyond comprehension. For example the expanded navigation bar with the ugly bold title. It only robs you of vertical space, leaving the navbar empty for no added benefit.

I'm switching to android for a while, I'm sick of the overall look of iOS and the constant lack of care that they are showing.
It sucks because I really enjoy developing on iOS, and having a testable device always in my pocket is a big deal. :/

zewone

Now I'm debating an X or just going back to Android with a Pixel 2 XL.

I was really enjoying iOS up until this point.

jimmypython

I am sure it has been discussed, but the landscape keyboard in iOS 11 on + size phone is LOL. They got rid of all the extra buttons and now we just have blank spaces on the sides. Feels like a bug tho, since when you type on the blank spaces it still registers as strokes of the closest next keys.

I was looking forward to typing on the + phone with extra landscape buttons before getting my 8+ (old phone: 6S)....I am pretty sure it was a big + feature in iOS10.

johnny956

I have iPhone SE and iPhone 7 for work. Both updated to 11.0.2 without issue for me. The live photo editing was the only thing I really wanted to update for

Since I updated the phone, bugs are a constant, it started freezing (I don't even remember ever happening before) and the battery is way worse. To call it a piece of shit is more than fair (6s)

Giolon

Is the split view tab in safari a new thing? I constantly when scrolling up from down sometime touching my first tab to the left, it detach from the bar, and with it i can make a split view browsing, and offently doing it unintentional. Is there a way to turn that off??? Im not speaking about split view apps, which is off, but split view in Safari, which i havent found a option to turn off.

Split View was added in iOS 10, but the tear off tab feature is new in iOS 11 I believe. I don’t believe you can disable it but you can drag a tab over to the other side to rejoin it, or tap and hold on the tabs button and choose Merge.

HF2014

Split View was added in iOS 10, but the tear off tab feature is new in iOS 11 I believe. I don’t believe you can disable it but you can drag a tab over to the other side to rejoin it, or tap and hold on the tabs button and choose Merge.

Yeah, i know how to put it back, i just found it extremely annoying when i scroll down from the left , i offen touch the leftmost tab and detach it unintentionaly. Its now just an annoyance. No option in Safari to disable that shit. Man, im pissed about that ios...

Installed it on my 6+ last night, so far doesn’t seem any worse than ios10 yet...

...except for the godawful mission control thing or whatever you call the menu you get by pulling up from the bottom. Whose idea was it to have all the options just haphazardly jumbles together? Why did they think it made sense to have short fat vertical sliders?

RoKKeR

If I can’t get an X, I’m not sure what I’ll do, but to hell with giving Apple more money just because my previously functioning phone is a shell of its former self. If I hadn’t bought an Apple Watch, I honestly wouldn’t have updated to iOS 11.
Ha yeah, he did admit to hating how much of a sucker he is but he's so far deep into the ecosystem at this point.

It's really too bad they aren't able to get this under control as it's clearly a trend. I've been on the verge of jumping back to iPhone soon as well.

gimmmick

iPhone 6s user here. Just downgraded back to iOS 10.3.3.

The constant freezes , restarts out of no where and the battery drain were the final straw.

iOS 11 has been a pretty big disappointment, Apple seriously needs to address the issues.

killroy87

Does anyone know how to force an Apple Music sync on my phone? I added some albums to my Apple Music library last night, and it never showed up on my phone. I finally restarted my phone this morning, and they showed up. Is it possible to just force a refresh?

JaseMath

Just got an 11.0.3 update.

First time (and frustrated) iOS user here—has iOS always been this buggy? Are this many software releases common?

6s Plus user; since updating to iOS 11, about once every two weeks my phone will think there are headphones plugged in always (i.e. even when there aren't). Powering off and back on and soft resetting does nothing. It's not lint or other stuff in the headphone jack setting it off either. The only thing that fixes it is calling the phone; as soon as it receives a call it'll set itself straight.

So that's pretty cool.

Giolon

First time (and frustrated) iOS user here—has iOS always been this buggy? Are this many software releases common?

Are new iOS releases this buggy? Sometimes. I remember 9 being a particularly big deal bug wise, as was 7, so was 4. Apple nearly always smooths things out though after a little time.

Are this many releases common? 2 or 3 point releases is pretty typical, but given how many issues people are seeing there may be more, but I think it's likely we may not see any more until iOS 11.1 arrives around the time of the iPhone X next month.

Not downplaying anyone's issues in this thread, but I have two iPhone 7's and an iPad Pro and none of them have issues with iOS 11. In fact, 11 fixed some issues I was having on my iPhone 7.

I'm happy with it so far, sorry to everyone having issues!

Chittagong

Gold Member
While I think the headline is hyperbole, this update cycle is shockingly bad stability wise (amazing feature wise). Stuttering, disappearing dock, rotation intermittently not working, unresponsive buttons... and Watch has become a massive freeze fest.

- iPad Pro (2017)
- iPad Pro 12.9 (2016)
- iPhone SE
- Apple Watch Series 2

It was out yesterday or the day before

Another update.

Has anyone dared update yet?

I have, my battery seems better. Since 7am (east) till now im down 15% only to 85%. A lot better than when 11 first came out for me.

Are new iOS releases this buggy? Sometimes. I remember 9 being a particularly big deal bug wise, as was 7, so was 4. Apple nearly always smooths things out though after a little time.

Are this many releases common? 2 or 3 point releases is pretty typical, but given how many issues people are seeing there may be more, but I think it's likely we may not see any more until iOS 11.1 arrives around the time of the iPhone X next month.

Not that i can remember. This one was super buggy. Worst that i can remember from them by far.

Guess Who

Banned

I don’t think that there has ever been this many point updates this soon after release, no. iOS 11 clearly shipped unfinished.

mf.luder

This release was fucking terrible.

7+ user here and the random freezing is still present. The glitches with music app and my AirPods is beyond frustrating.

11.1 better solve this fucking cesspool of a release.

Giolon

Not that i can remember. This one was super buggy. Worst that i can remember from them by far.

People have short memories. There were articles about how bad iOS 8 was for example: https://www.wired.com/2014/11/ios-8-buggiest/. You actually don't even have to look any further than our very own GAF forums: iOS 8 is one of the worst iOS I've ever used.

Here's stuff about how much people hated iOS 10.2 because of bad battery life and bugginess: http://bgr.com/2016/12/16/ios-10-2-update-problems-worst/

While some people are certainly having problems with the release, I think people are also being affected by recency bias. It's happening to you right now and it's terrible, but do you remember the bugs and crashes affecting your phone 3 or 4 years ago? Not so much.

People have short memories. There were articles about how bad iOS 8 was for example: https://www.wired.com/2014/11/ios-8-buggiest/. You actually don't even have to look any further than our very own GAF forums: iOS 8 is one of the worst iOS I've ever used.

Here's stuff about how much people hated iOS 10.2 because of bad battery life and bugginess: http://bgr.com/2016/12/16/ios-10-2-update-problems-worst/

While some people are certainly having problems with the release, I think people are also being affected by recency bias. It's happening to you right now and it's terrible, but do you remember the bugs and crashes affecting your phone 3 or 4 years ago? Not so much.

I don't remember my phone ever freezing and not even letting me turn it off for 5-10 seconds, or having to close iMessage because the text was being layed out all fucked up, or the phone screen turning horizontal for no reason.

My battery life is much worse, I'll be below 50% in like four hours with less than moderate use. The stability with 3rd party keyboards is terrible too

Social

iPhone 6s user here. Just downgraded back to iOS 10.3.3.

The constant freezes , restarts out of no where and the battery drain were the final straw.

iOS 11 has been a pretty big disappointment, Apple seriously needs to address the issues.

You are unable to downgrade, Apple doesn't sign it anymore, unless you downgraded a few weeks ago...

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I used to be able to rely on my phone’s camera to grab photos of my kids doing something unexpected. This is one of, if not THE most important thing I need from my phone.

Now I just find myself waiting 15-20 seconds after going to the Camera app for the screen to appear, at which time the moment has passed.

My battery life is much worse, I'll be below 50% in like four hours with less than moderate use. The stability with 3rd party keyboards is terrible too

My battery life has done as well. I am very disappointed. Another patch tonight though. I’m hoping they can sort this cluster fuck out.

Giolon

So are some of these posts fake?

You are unable to downgrade, Apple doesn't sign it anymore, unless you downgraded a few weeks ago...

I don't know about fake, but Apple stopped signing 10.3.3 on 10/4 which means you can't downgrade to that version through any official means since that date. I don't know if there's a jailbreak/hack method of doing so because I don't follow that scene any more.

Guess Who

Banned
Yeah they are. You cannot downgrade to iOS 10 anymore.

I don't know about fake, but Apple stopped signing 10.3.3 on 10/4 which means you can't downgrade to that version through any official means since that date. I don't know if there's a jailbreak/hack method of doing so because I don't follow that scene any more.

I believe the iPhone 6s and only the 6s is still being signed for 10.3.3.

I dealt with iOS 8 and 10 in their infancy and they are nowhere near as bad as what I'm dealing with now in iOS 11 on my 7 Plus.

Recency bias schmecency bias.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I can't stand it anymore and just ordered a new phone.

Seeing too many of these posts in here. Not that I blame the people, necessarily, it just makes my blood boil that this is the outcome of Apple releasing shit software.

I dealt with iOS 8 and 10 in their infancy and they are nowhere near as bad as what I'm dealing with now in iOS 11 on my 7 Plus.

Recency bias schmecency bias.

iOS 7 was also terrible with everything crashing like crazy until 7.1. I would say that was just as bad for certain devices.

Top Bottom