• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

so used apple maps for the first time last weekend.
Was in the part of my home town that I was not that familiar with and used it to get home by car.

Worked perfectly ! :O to my amazement no screw ups and I even had 3 choices for a route to get home.

The only thing is that the English voice is terrible at pronouncing Dutch street names but that is understandable.
But the point to point voice stuff was awesome and worked 100%.

For about 20 min of drive time I lived in the future from my phone.

my iphone decided to not connect to Wifi anymore and the button is now greyed out :( apparently this is happening a lot from IOS6 phones and this is the first time I have ever had this issue. I have tried resetting network settings, turning airplane mode off on on,resetting my home modem and now im trying to do a backup of my phone

hirokazu

my iphone decided to not connect to Wifi anymore and the button is now greyed out :( apparently this is happening a lot from IOS6 phones and this is the first time I have ever had this issue. I have tried resetting network settings, turning airplane mode off on on,resetting my home modem and now im trying to do a backup of my phone

I'd take it to the Apple Store. Could be a possible hardware failure.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Is there any reason an iCloud backup on a 16GB model should take 8 hours over a good wifi connection? It has been awhile since the last backup, but good grief.

Vyer

Is there any reason an iCloud backup on a 16GB model should take 8 hours over a good wifi connection? It has been awhile since the last backup, but good grief.

No. If you're sure your connection is good, clear/close all the apps and reboot. Try it again see if there's any improvement.

Guess Who

Banned

Might want to check what the next backup size is (Settings -> iCloud -> Storage and Backup -> Manage Storage -> Tap your phone).

CrankyJay

Banned
Still having map problems? My brother noticed that Maps managed to reverse all of North Carolina...

hC7FcT3.png

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Looks fine on mine:

4tBg8xB.jpg

Strange haha

EDIT

Uh, I just noticed the compass on your picture in the top right. Looks like your brother rotated the map and is pulling your leg.

davidnic

Can neogaf tell me what problem\s are currently with the IPhone 5 using it for work purposes like email account is on a Microsoft Exchange Server.

We getting them for some staff just want to be aware of the problems..

As I am not an Iphone user myself.

Vyer

Can neogaf tell me what problems are currently with the IPhone 5 using it for work purposes like email account is on a Microsoft Exchange Server.

Nothing really I can think of. We have three companies with Exchange Servers and various employees with iPhones with no real issues. Even Office 365 has been seamless. Primarily just email though.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can neogaf tell me what problems are currently with the IPhone 5 using it for work purposes like email account is on a Microsoft Exchange Server.

Exchange emails work fine, but there's a bug in iOS 6.1 that drains resources when accepting meeting invites or anything that interacts with your Calendar.

"Devices using the latest Apple IOS 6.1 are consuming a large quantity of Exchange resources when a user responds to a meeting invitation or update from the IOS 6.1 device .The IOS 6.1 device continually retries a response command, which impacts the overall company email system as it consumes Exchange resources."

It doesn't break functionality but it could strain your corporate network a bit I guess.

No fix from Apple about this yet, iOS 6.0 works fine and if necessary you can turn off Calendar hookups in the iPhone's Exchange settings for your account while its an issue (you can receive invites etc but they don't copy to the iOS Caldendar app).

Number45

Mainly targeted, or ONLY targeted?
On mine it says "This update fixes an issue that could impact mobile performance and reliability for iPhone 4S", so I'm assuming it's only the 4S at the moment. Not that I can get it to actually install on mine.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Mainly targeted, or ONLY targeted?
Only. This was a bug fix for some carriers so that their 4G networks could be used properly.

This is not the same 6.1.1 that was seeded to developers last week however, that one will probably now become 6.1.2.

Number45

Didn't seem to install for me (just kept telling me it had downloaded and giving me the option to install), so I rebooted the phone and it installed then. Weird, definitely didn't tell/ask me to restart.

davidnic

Exchange emails work fine, but there's a bug in iOS 6.1 that drains resources when accepting meeting invites or anything that interacts with your Calendar.

"Devices using the latest Apple IOS 6.1 are consuming a large quantity of Exchange resources when a user responds to a meeting invitation or update from the IOS 6.1 device .The IOS 6.1 device continually retries a response command, which impacts the overall company email system as it consumes Exchange resources."

It doesn't break functionality but it could strain your corporate network a bit I guess.

No fix from Apple about this yet, iOS 6.0 works fine and if necessary you can turn off Calendar hookups in the iPhone's Exchange settings for your account while its an issue (you can receive invites etc but they don't copy to the iOS Caldendar app).

Thanks Tunesmith, I will keep a eye for this issue when we setting them up as we haven't received them yet. Fingers cross there fix the issue before we get them with IOS 6.2....

Espresso

Banned
I wasn't sure if 6.1.1 was intended for Vodafone subscribers only or what, but I still went ahead and installed it. The evasi0n jailbreak works for this particular firmware by the way.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thanks Tunesmith, I will keep a eye for this issue when we setting them up as we haven't received them yet. Fingers cross there fix the issue before we get them with IOS 6.2....
Word is Microsoft and Apple are working on a quick fix for this so it wouldn't surprise me if we get another unannounced super-quick 6.1.2 out just for it like we had for the 4G problem fix in 6.1.1 (which was for all 4S devices, regardless of carrier).

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Just another warning for this program, using it and removing certain cache file can screw up the iTunes database files if you're syncing with it. iTunes will think it's a new device that you'll have to restore to start syncing again.

There's an adhoc work-around though, deleting the following database files via iFunbox/iExplorer:

Go to: /var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control

Now within the above directory you will find two more directories

Music
Under Music, delete the following directory - .itunes_db_checked

iTunes
Under iTunes, delete the following two files - iTunesDB and iTunesCDB (only one might be present.

Reboot the device and iTunes should pick it up as if nothing ever happened again.

McSpidey

I'm probably really LTTP on this but I just noticed in safari if you touch and hold the tab "+" icon it brings up the recently closed tabs list. I've accidentally closed tabs so many times and wished this existed...

CrankyJay

Banned
Someone halp, please.

I have gmail set up via an exchange server for the Mail app...it used to work fantastic up until last week.

Symptoms include:

1. badges not clearing even after I read the emails online...I could swear these used to sync between using the web client and the phone
2. emails don't reach my phone until minutes after they arrive in the mail client

Is there a problem with google's servers lately? Should I re-set up my mail app?

Someone halp, please.

I have gmail set up via an exchange server for the Mail app...it used to work fantastic up until last week.

Symptoms include:

1. badges not clearing even after I read the emails online...I could swear these used to sync between using the web client and the phone
2. emails don't reach my phone until minutes after they arrive in the mail client

Is there a problem with google's servers lately? Should I re-set up my mail app?

Pretty sure Google have dropped exchange support recently.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Screws up the way I have my calendars synced as well.

Any idea if this fucks with the mailbox app? Once they add exchange support I guess this wont matter to me.

Noema

Yeah, this has been known for a while. Google simple doesn't want to pay MS for ActiveSync support anymore.

No choice but going back to IMAP, CardDAV and CalDAV folks. It used to be pretty horrible a few years back, but it might have improved since then. We'll see.

giga

Use Mailbox if you want push notifications. The notifications won't clear until you open up the app though, if that's an issue. (iOS limitation for third party apps)

Use CarDAV and CalDAV for calendar syncing, though I've switched to iCloud for that.

Top Bottom