• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

I lost all my text messages when I updated, again. This happened when I first upgraded to iOS6.01.

That time though, I was able to recover my messages through a wipe+restore, but its not happening here.

Anyone have a similar problem/solution with this?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Dunno if anyone else has noticed but they've changed the layout of the Music app:

Track times are now underneath the track name, and reduced the size of the fonts to.
They also updated the lock screen music controls to the new style.

guys, try this with your iPhones:

plug it in and have any music with cover art playing. now lock it and slide to unlock. is it me or can you see the battery charging screen for a faint second?

this is happening since the 6.1 update.

plug it in and have any music with cover art playing. now lock it and slide to unlock. is it me or can you see the battery charging screen for a faint second?

not happening before my update, will report in three minutes when the updated is installed.

Meantime

This was happening intermittently for me before the update as well. Still happening after.

Not happening on my iPod Touch 4G.

Also Apple added back the option to disable Auto Login in wifi networks.

Ashhong

I cant remember why the album art looked bad on the lock screen before this update. I know there was a gap on the top of it I think? What did they change to make that gap go away? Wasn't the song info always there?

lucius

Nice, thanks!

Anyone use it? Just want to make sure it wont fuck up my phone

I used it, I just let it delete everything it scanned to see what would happen, saved about 550MB, everything does seem to be the same except on my Chrome browser it didn't save some of my log ins but in Safari it did.

Noema

Dunno if anyone else has noticed but they've changed the layout of the Music app:

Track times are now underneath the track name, and reduced the size of the fonts to.

I noticed this yesterday. I'm not sure I like it.

Wish it were an app. I hate having to hook up my phone to my computer.

That would be impossible unless it were a Jailbreak app, since 3rd party Apps in iOS run in a sandboxed mode.

People were actually expecting a big update in an Apple OS -.1 update?

We've gotten some pretty substantial stuff in point upgrades before.

mrkgoo

It was pointed out at mac rumours that the iPhone 5 diagonal scrolling issue has been mitigated. I could easily replicate it before on 6.0, but not on 6.1, so I guess that is a plus.

Edit: wait, it can be done. Maybe less easily? Eh maybe just placebo effect.

It was pointed out at mac rumours that the iPhone 5 diagonal scrolling issue has been mitigated. I could easily replicate it before on 6.0, but not on 6.1, so I guess that is a plus.

Edit: wait, it can be done. Maybe less easily? Eh maybe just placebo effect.

Didn't realize this was an actual problem, I thought I was just imagining things or that is was a problem with certain apps.

mrkgoo

Didn't realize this was an actual problem, I thought I was just imagining things or that is was a problem with certain apps.
It seems to me it's a sort of hardware/software thing, like the display the iPhone 5 has requires more buffer or something and that maybe 6.1 increased the amount of memory/processor assigned to scrolling behaviour. It definitely seems better, but not entirely eliminated.

It wasn't a big deal before so I'm not worried.

mrkgoo

I know the answer is likely no, but I just want to make sure, this doesn't wipe out game save data, right?

I don't know what it does, but it probably just goes into some cache areas and cleans out caches, like lost install files and stuff.

It would be a useless tool if it deleted crucial save data to reclaim space.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't know what it does, but it probably just goes into some cache areas and cleans out caches, like lost install files and stuff.

Yeah, I had backed my phone up prior to using it, so I figured I'd just bite the bullet. Game saves are intact. Interestingly enough, all the saved space came from Apps. The Other data remains the same.

Magnus

Ever since ios5, I've had to repeatedly rejoin my WPA2 wifi network at the place I'm living at. I have to retype the same damned 13 digit key every time I come home, and every time my phone or pad seem to arbitrarily get dropped from the network forcing me to rejoin.

Also, sometimes the attempt to join fails, and I simply hit Join again without retyping or changing the password and it works.

What gives?

Is this a security protocol on the router's end or something? My MacBook and my stepdad's laptop stay joined all the time, no problems.

Vyer

Ever since ios5, I've had to repeatedly rejoin my WPA2 wifi network at the place I'm living at. I have to retype the same damned 13 digit key every time I come home, and every time my phone or pad seem to arbitrarily get dropped from the network forcing me to rejoin.

Also, sometimes the attempt to join fails, and I simply hit Join again without retyping or changing the password and it works.

What gives?

Is this a security protocol on the router's end or something? My MacBook and my stepdad's laptop stay joined all the time, no problems.

What type of wpa setting is the router using

mrkgoo

What gives?

Seriously it could be anything.

Could be a bug in phone, hardware, on router, etc.

Your other devices staying logged on would SUGGEST the iPhone 5, but it could be that the iPhone 5 is specced to a newer standard that the router doesn't quite get. Or the router doesn't like mixed security. Or anything.

I have a really old router and the only real issue I get is that it needs to be reset occasionally. I've been meaning to get a new one, but I've borrowed a few to test out and they've invariably had some issue where wifi drops, or some service is blocked.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Here's one thing, one thing I want from iOS 7.

In iOS, if you get mail, you get a number badge. If you view some of it on another device or the website, the number updates. If you view all of it, the number goes away.

If you get a text message, the number changes. If you check your messages on another device, the number updates.

Same with the Phone app and voicemail/missed calls.

But if you get a Tweet or a FaceBook message or reply or otherwise a notification of some sort, and you check and change the number from somewhere else, the number does not change. It does not update.

I don't see why those apps can't have updating numbers. It's not a matter of not being able to set the number to what you want as a developer, because I've seen plenty of apps that do badge with ever changing numbers. I don't know if it's Apple's problem or FaceBook/Twitter's fault, but someone needs to fix it. Especially since FaceBook and Twitter are so well integrated into the OS anyway. You'd think they'd have noticed this "problem". It's all about presentation and logic really. If my FB app has a number, I expect it to have an update to show me. It's Human Interface 101. I really hope they too noticed this and are either working on fixing it or talking to the developers themselves.

Now yes, the first three apps are built-into the OS, but Twitter and FaceBook do have some integration, so I'd expect them to work the same. Plus as I mentioned I have had apps that have been able to change the number to whatever they want. Or so it seems.

Burger

Anyone notice with iTunes match that it fucks up a lot (on the phone)?

It's always trying to play songs that aren't on my phone (why?) and sometimes gets so screwed up that it displays the wrong artwork and title for the song that it's actually playing.

Here's one thing, one thing I want from iOS 7.

In iOS, if you get mail, you get a number badge. If you view some of it on another device or the website, the number updates. If you view all of it, the number goes away.

If you get a text message, the number changes. If you check your messages on another device, the number updates.

Same with the Phone app and voicemail/missed calls.

But if you get a Tweet or a FaceBook message or reply or otherwise a notification of some sort, and you check and change the number from somewhere else, the number does not change. It does not update.

I don't see why those apps can't have updating numbers. It's not a matter of not being able to set the number to what you want as a developer, because I've seen plenty of apps that do badge with ever changing numbers. I don't know if it's Apple's problem or FaceBook/Twitter's fault, but someone needs to fix it. Especially since FaceBook and Twitter are so well integrated into the OS anyway. You'd think they'd have noticed this "problem". It's all about presentation and logic really. If my FB app has a number, I expect it to have an update to show me. It's Human Interface 101. I really hope they too noticed this and are either working on fixing it or talking to the developers themselves.

Now yes, the first three apps are built-into the OS, but Twitter and FaceBook do have some integration, so I'd expect them to work the same. Plus as I mentioned I have had apps that have been able to change the number to whatever they want. Or so it seems.

Isn't this up to the app developer? I'm sure the Gmail app icon updates if I read email elsewhere.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I know the answer is likely no, but I just want to make sure, this doesn't wipe out game save data, right?

It deletes among other things;

- IAP purchases for certain apps which will need to be 'restored' and re-downloaded, this also includes all magazines if you have any of those (since they store all their issues in the Cache folders which this program cleans out).

- Per-app settings/tracker files that note if you've declined to "Rate this app! Yes/No/Later" for apps that have that sort of pop-up stuff.

- Album/Podcast/Photos/Video thumbnails and cover artwork from various apps.

- Articles added to offline Reading list & cached temporary internet files

Etc.

Doesn't remove:

- iTunes Match song cache/downloads

Jubern

- IAP purchases for certain apps which will need to be 'restored' and re-downloaded, this also includes all magazines if you have any of those (since they store all their issues in the Cache folders which this program cleans out).

- Per-app settings/tracker files that note if you've declined to "Rate this app! Yes/No/Later" for apps that have that sort of pop-up stuff.

Etc.

Doesn't remove:

Ew... I think I'll refrain from trying this until I really need it.

mrkgoo

Etc.

Doesn't remove:

Sounds like if deletes a similar thing to what happens when you do a restore. Basically stuff that isn't in a backup.

Magnus

What type of wpa setting is the router using

No idea. :(

Seriously it could be anything.

Could be a bug in phone, hardware, on router, etc.

Your other devices staying logged on would SUGGEST the iPhone 5, but it could be that the iPhone 5 is specced to a newer standard that the router doesn't quite get. Or the router doesn't like mixed security. Or anything.

I have a really old router and the only real issue I get is that it needs to be reset occasionally. I've been meaning to get a new one, but I've borrowed a few to test out and they've invariably had some issue where wifi drops, or some service is blocked.

Thanks!

It's an iPhone 4. I'll try resetting my stepdad's router.

mrkgoo

So I cliched a link to Flickr in my Facebook app, and it opened the Flickr app. I didn't know you could launch apps from within other apps. What goes on here?

Us it like how a website can recognise you gave their app installed and launches it?

So I cliched a link to Flickr in my Facebook app, and it opened the Flickr app. I didn't know you could launch apps from within other apps. What goes on here?
custom URL schemes. basically an app can register a URL scheme for itself, so that for example all links starting with flickr:// open up the Flickr app.

mrkgoo

custom URL schemes. basically an app can register a URL scheme for itself, so that for example all links starting with flickr:// open up the Flickr app.

Yeah, I thought that was the case.

So you need to know the name of the app, and if the app isn't installed, it just goes to Safari?

How do websites actually know the app is installed or not? does it check and the browser sends a response? Or is it just local, like "if app is installed, show an open button, if not, show a get button" ?

I guess teh flickr app has been around long enough for Facebook to implement.

Yeah, I thought that was the case.

So you need to know the name of the app, and if the app isn't installed, it just goes to Safari?

How do websites actually know the app is installed or not? does it check and the browser sends a response? Or is it just local, like "if app is installed, show an open button, if not, show a get button" ?
not sure, I'm haven't done any iOS app development, but probably something like that.

Ekdrm2d1

Can somebody please help me? I have a iPhone 4S and just updated to the new iOS 6.01.

The Google Maps App doesn't seem to work. There is two (2) flaws with it. I'm located in Houston, Texas.

The main is there's no turn by turn going. Before the update to the iOS the GPS audio directions would go through my car stereo speakers, telling me turn by turn. Now there is no sound at all. No turn by turn.

2nd, there isn't any alerts happening. Before the update, I would get a alert message with a ping sound, giving me the next direction for my route. My phone would be on the passenger seat, not being used, and I would get an alert.

It also seems when I click out of the maps app, the program stops. There isn't any arrow on the top-right of my iPhone home screen indicating that the maps is running.

Thanks so much for any help!

giga

Can somebody please help me? I have a iPhone 4S and just updated to the new iOS 6.01.

The Google Maps App doesn't seem to work. There is two (2) flaws with it. I'm located in Houston, Texas.

The main is there's no turn by turn going. Before the update to the iOS the GPS audio directions would go through my car stereo speakers, telling me turn by turn. Now there is no sound at all. No turn by turn.

2nd, there isn't any alerts happening. Before the update, I would get a alert message with a ping sound, giving me the next direction for my route. My phone would be on the passenger seat, not being used, and I would get an alert.

It also seems when I click out of the maps app, the program stops. There isn't any arrow on the top-right of my iPhone home screen indicating that the maps is running.

Thanks so much for any help!
6.0.1 or 6.1?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling? Restarting the phone?

Ekdrm2d1

giga and Ashhong,

I got it to work! Either the re-install fixed it or it was a user-error the whole time.

Game on. Thank you so much! Enjoy your day :)

‘Radio Buy Buttons’ found in iOS 6.1 via newly jailbroken iPads, could mean new functionality coming

ipad-radio.jpg

Dany

Banned
When you double click the home button and swipe left to the music player or even on the lock screen; it woud be amazing if it remembered your last music player used. Like I'm switching from spotify to a youtube video and playing that in the background, if I close the tab I would like to click play and listen to my spotify song not something from my music library.

Its kinda small but still, just remembering last music player would be nice.

Majine

Banned
They need to get better at going between played music and video. Most frustrating part is listening to music, opening up Safari and the page I'm on has a Youtube video that has been played before I closed it down. Music pauses. Hey, the video isn't running, why are you pausing? Goddamnit.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
When you double click the home button and swipe left to the music player or even on the lock screen; it woud be amazing if it remembered your last music player used. Like I'm switching from spotify to a youtube video and playing that in the background, if I close the tab I would like to click play and listen to my spotify song not something from my music library.

Its kinda small but still, just remembering last music player would be nice.

Hmm, mine does this. If I for example swap from listening in the Music app to a Youtube video and then close that, it'll be the Youtube video/app that's listed in the Music controls rather than the default Music app. Same for any other combination of song listening app. I don't use Spotify though so I can't test with that if it behaves the same (perhaps its per-app based and the apps need to use that specific API and Spotify doesn't?).

Top Bottom