• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Apps | Hello flatness, my old friend

A little over 262,000 ahead of me.

I don't use the mail app often, but why not. Sucks that it's Gmail only, but the devs did say they plan to expand it to other services.

Oh damn, didn't notice its only gmail so far. If so thats a little bit of a boner killer. If I just wanted something better than apple's mail for gmail, I'd use the gmail app. What I really want is support for all of my email accounts in an app thats better than apple's mail.

I guess they will wait for the paid version to do exchange (since I imagine it involves some licensing fee).

andycapps

Are you guys needing to setup work accounts on there as well? I figured everybody was using Gmail for their personal use at this point. I'm sure Exchange accounts will be an option soon.

I have under 308k people ahead of me for Mailbox and 235k behind me in line. They seem to be speeding up the selection already. It's going down about one person a second. Yesterday it was about one person every 3-4 seconds.

Are you guys needing to setup work accounts on there as well? I figured everybody was using Gmail for their personal use at this point. I'm sure Exchange accounts will be an option soon.

I have under 308k people ahead of me for Mailbox and 235k behind me in line. They seem to be speeding up the selection already. It's going down about one person a second. Yesterday it was about one person every 3-4 seconds.

I have 2 personal accounts (gmail, outlook/MS) and 2 work accounts, so yeah it would be a work thing for me.

Just heard about Mailbox and signed up an hour ago. Around 603,000 people in front of me, I guess I'll be able to use this by the end of the month or so.

I'm strangely fascinated by watching the counter go down for the reservations ahead of me while simultaneously watching the number rise for the people behind me...

It's weird, I know.

Finally got my mailbox (woke up and saw my notification that it was ready).

Can't wait until other mail accounts can be used. Interface is pretty simple and definitely faster in loading compared to the gmail app and default mail app.

Really like it a lot so far.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just downloaded it. 667k people ahead.

...are millions of people actually super hyped for this or what? I know some people may have multiple devices but not everyone.

bob page

Finally got my mailbox (woke up and saw my notification that it was ready).

Can't wait until other mail accounts can be used. Interface is pretty simple and definitely faster in loading compared to the gmail app and default mail app.

Really like it a lot so far.

Same- it's definitely a lot faster than the Gmail app.

jerry113

Banned
I'm curious which news app you guys prefer to use. feedly, flipboard, pulse, or something else? I'm trying to decide which to install.

Quick

Banned
I'm curious which news app you guys prefer to use. feedly, flipboard, pulse, or something else? I'm trying to decide which to install.

Flipboard, personally. I like the presentation.

Can't go wrong with any of the ones listed, though.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just wanted to definitively say that I think Downcast is better than Instacast. Finally switched after a few years with Instacast, and it's an upgrade all around.

Insta wasn't bad, but it was a bit buggy and had some questionable design choices.

giga

Mailbox is pretty sweet. Very fluid. I like the snooze system. The short and long gestures will take some time to get used to. An undo button would be useful too.

Pachimari

Mailbox is pretty sweet. Very fluid. I like the snooze system. The short and long gestures will take some time to get used to. An undo button would be useful too.
I have been in the queue since yesterday and is now #692.000.

What is the snooze function? It'll alert you again?

Mr. Hyde

I've been trying them all. I am using pulse, zite 2.1 (I think?) and flipboard at the moment to figure which I like the most on my ipad. I am not sure which functions the past on the iphone yet, though. I need to figure that out.

Espresso

Banned
Al Jazeera's English app is fantastic. Live streaming of their news network from within in addition to the news/sports.

So, I've had Mailbox for about a day and I love it so far. Gotta agree with giga that the snooze features are the best so far, along with the gestures. More gestures on iOS please!
One unfortunate thing I've noticed so far is my battery life seems to have taken a big hit. But it's only been a day so it needs some more testing. I'll provide an update in a day or two. Hopefully just a fluke.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Mailbox and the Snooze thing are great but I'll have to see how much use I get out of it. Also I find the long swipe gestures sometimes hard to pull off with my not huge hands.

Also, I wish I was more into RSS feeds. I used to love Reeder on my iPhone and Mr. Reader for my iPad mini looks cool but I can never actually commit to reading any of the feeds. Especially if I miss a day and it's like 190 unread stories. *mark all as read, never read anything*

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I hope this is the right place. I have an instagram question. Is there a way to have the filtered photos I take with the App appear only in the Instagram Folder album? I don't like how the filtered photo appears under camera folder and Instagram folder.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't even started using the gmail app yet and now I'm waiting being 500000000 people to access my amazon purchase confirmations? Sign me up, and it doesn't even work on the iPad.

FerranMG

I just got in into Mailbox.
I've been playing with it for a while, and I think I will give it a try as my default mail client for the iPhone.

I have a question, though: is there a way to tag an e-mail, but with regular gmail labels, instead of the ones that Mailbox creates?
I mean, I know long swipe left is Lists, but these lists are "new" lists created by Mailbox (originally they are under a folder called "Mailbox" and are called "later", "to buy", "to read" and "to watch"). I want to know if I can label an e-mail under the lists I have in gmail.

Any idea? I can always replicate the old lists inside the Mailbox folder, but this seems like duplicating things.

Pachimari

SRI (creators of Siri) just launched a new calendar app in Tempo. Apparently it mixes your contacts, Facebook, SMS, mail, calendar etc. 9to5mac have a review I think. I'm on the phone.

bob page

I just got in into Mailbox.
I've been playing with it for a while, and I think I will give it a try as my default mail client for the iPhone.

I have a question, though: is there a way to tag an e-mail, but with regular gmail labels, instead of the ones that Mailbox creates?
I mean, I know long swipe left is Lists, but these lists are "new" lists created by Mailbox (originally they are under a folder called "Mailbox" and are called "later", "to buy", "to read" and "to watch"). I want to know if I can label an e-mail under the lists I have in gmail.

Any idea? I can always replicate the old lists inside the Mailbox folder, but this seems like duplicating things.

I think you have to manually rename your previous Gmail labels to be in this format:

[Mailbox]/XXX

It's rather unsightly in web browsers but within Mailbox, it should create a label on the left menu as well as in the popup menu.

So they are both the same price and I need a new Podcast app. Should I go with Downcast or Pocket Casts? I hate the Apple app, and I used to use Instacast, but version 2 is buggy and I refuse to pay to upgrade to 3.

So they are both the same price and I need a new Podcast app. Should I go with Downcast or Pocket Casts? I hate the Apple app, and I used to use Instacast, but version 2 is buggy and I refuse to pay to upgrade to 3.
They're equal as far as features and reliability go, but Pocket Casts is so much more pleasing to use from an aesthetic and accessibility perspective.

It's the app I would've expected from Apple. Whereas Downcast still feels unpolished.

Top Bottom