• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Flunkie

Banned
Hey, Flunkie, found you a loophole. Icebreaker released on IOS in 2013, but didn't come to Android till May 2014
Haha thanks, but it's okay. I have too many to choose from as is.

Galcon 2, Docking Sequence, and The Drive: Devils Run are all out. Any mpressions out there?

Any impressions of Knock Knock? It's on sale for $2. The reviews were mediocre, but the user impressions on GAF and other forums are mostly very positive

Benedict

A lot of the Square Enix games are cheap on Google Play.
Hope we might see some of these sales on iOS as well.

----------------------ANDROID--------------------
Final Fantasy - $3.99 (Regular Price: $7.99)
Final Fantasy II - $3.99 (Regular Price: $7.99)
Final Fantasy III - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy IV - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy V - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy VI - $7.99 (Regular Price: $15.99)
Final Fantasy Dimensions - $7.99 (Regular Price: $16.99)
Chrono Trigger - $4.99 (Regular Price: $9.99)
Dragon Quest II - $2.99 (Regular Price: $4.99)
Dragon Quest VIII - $12.99 (Regular Price: $19.99)
Secret of Mana - $3.99 (Regular Price: $9.00)
----------------------ANDROID--------------------

mjc

Interested in checking some stuff out, but I think I'll wait for the inevitable Christmas sales coming up this next week. Namely 80 Days and some others.

Speaking of, how are the Sorcery! games?

Radogol

Our new Collectible Card Game is out in Canada: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/earthcore-ccg/id912349391

It's called Earthcore and I have never been more proud of any game I've worked on. Co-designed with Michal Oracz (the designer of Neuroshima Hex) it's, I believe, the first ever CCG with actual card crafting. Here's the latest trailer that describes the feature pretty well:

http://youtu.be/VvkxAXgBKXk

We're in soft launch right now but the game already has a robust story-based single player campaign and a variety of multiplayer modes. The global release is planned for Q1 2015. Before then, I will be grateful for any and all thoughts from Canadaian gaffers (or anyone that is willing to create a Canadian account ;)). Thanks in advance!

JCho133

Any of you played that new Tap Titans game? It's featured in the US.

It's another one of those clicker games, except it's frickin awesome. Awesome art style and it's very RPG/fantasy inspired with heroes and skills and stuff.

Totally beats Bitcoin Billionaire

JCho133

Hey, guys, check out the game VIOLET: Space Mission. Seems pretty cool but it's iPad only.

I'm on my phone right now, if someone could post the itunes link and some screens that'd be great, it's worth a look. $3

Flunkie

Banned
I held a friend's iPhone 6 tonight (my first real interaction with the new devices) and the thing felt absolutely massive, but the double press of the home key to "bring the screen down" to reach things at the top is absolutely brilliant. I'm convinced that 4.7 is the way to go now.

Corgi

Banned
I held a friend's iPhone 6 tonight (my first real interaction with the new devices) and the thing felt absolutely massive, but the double press of the home key to "bring the screen down" to reach things at the top is absolutely brilliant. I'm convinced that 4.7 is the way to go now.

6 plus or bust

Takes like 1 week to get used to it. then no going back.

awp69

Any thoughts on Knock Knock?

I played it and haven't finished it. Got distracted by too many other games.

It seems good. Kind of a poor man's Year Walk. Might get around to playing it through to the end but can't really give a firm recommendation.

awp69

Bastion is on sale for $.99. If you don't have it, get it. One of my favorite action RPGs on mobile (or console for that matter).

Corgi

Banned
I don't see how I could handle much more. Thing was already massive. I asked him time and time again if he was sure it's not the 6+.

Takes one week.

Haven't met anyone that ever went back to a small screen from a note or 6+ or other big phones.

Jarsonot

Takes one week.

Haven't met anyone that ever went back to a small screen from a note or 6+ or other big phones.

Holding an iPhone 5 after getting used to the 6+ was jarring. It really surprised me how small it seems to me now, when it was totally fine before.

Though I bet in a week or 2 I'd be used to it again, if I did go back to a smaller screen. ;)

death first.

Benedict

The Room Two is on sale, was waiting for it. Wanted this for my Christmas trip.

How is Secret of Mana on iPad?
Bought it when it was released on iOS, but never got around to play it on my phone

RM8

Reckless Racing 3 is on sale! In case you don't know, Reckless Racing 2 is a godlike top-down racer and from what I'm playing RR3 is pretty awesome too. Bastion is on sale too. iOS feels like Steam at times :]

Matt Frost

Been playing Boson X a lot since the last patch came up, the new character, the robot is my favorite and I am finally improving and unlocking more modes than ever before, its like rediscovering the game again. Now is my favorite behind the back endless runner there is. Well I been away too long from my beloved Advanced Warfare and some noob and campers slaying :D Back to the war...

awp69

Mucho Party is PG's final freebie? Yikes. They should have left something like Detective Grimiore for last.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
FFIV: The After Years is at $7.99 again (down from $15.99). Might grab it this time since I missed it in the last sale. Although maybe I shouldn't since I still have some long games installed that I'm planning to go through before I get to play it.

Also, they had the gall of having Chaos Rings 2 on sale too while it's still broken on iOS 8 (the other CR games have been patched). Lmao. It's the only one I haven't played yet but I can't bring myself to purchase a broken game even if they're saying it will be fixed.

Ok, finally considering FF:Tactics for iPhone. I really wish it was Universal.

How does it play on an iPhone? I have a 6+.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Plays greatly. I play the iPhone version on both the iPhone and the iPad with cloud saving and it scales very nicely. I imagine it will be fine on a 6+.

it's a turn based strategy rpg. It plays fine since you never need to be quick with the controls. I bought the phone version just to play it with my ipad since it has cloud saves and it looks great zoomed in on the ipad.

Plays greatly. I play the iPhone version on both the iPhone and the iPad with cloud saving and it scales very nicely. I imagine it will be fine on a 6+.

it's a turn based strategy rpg. It plays fine since you never need to be quick with the controls. I bought the phone version just to play it with my ipad since it has cloud saves and it looks great zoomed in on the ipad.

Thanks.

Seems to be an acceptable solution.

Necrovex

At this point, if I can confirm FFT plays well on iOS 8, I'll buy it. I just need that confirmation!

And I may pick up FF VI, since it's been too long since I last played it.

How are Chaos Rings and DQVIII on the 6? worth a purchase?

DQVIII on ios does not feature the orchestral soundtrack from the western release, no voicework, and runs only in portrait mode. And the framerate seems to be locked regardless of what phone you have

If it's your only way to play it, then i guess it's ok but most of the magic from the PS2 release isn't present in the ios version.

heringer

DQVIII on ios does not feature the orchestral soundtrack from the western release, no voicework, and runs only in portrait mode. And the framerate seems to be locked regardless of what phone you have

If it's your only way to play it, then i guess it's ok but most of the magic from the PS2 release isn't present in the ios version.
I would argue that most of the magic IS present. It's still a brilliant game.

But yeah, not the best version around.

I'm eagerly waiting for DQV though, since it's my favorite in series.

I wish they would port IX. That might be my second favorite tied with VIII.

I wish they would port the 3DS version of VII too, but I'm certain they will port the PSX version.

Minsc

Gold Member

To be fair, some people consider the orchestral soundtrack to be inferior (as it wasn't made specifically for the game iirc, either way people did state in the original thread a while back that the original score sounded better to them), so it's not necessarily a negative, and the framerate on the PS2 version is also capped/locked (to 30fps, which is what the iOS one is as well I believe, when it's not slowing down). The lock to portait mode and lack of voices are negatives though, but how much could vary per person as well.

flowsnake

FFT crashed when I tried to save to iCloud, and when I loaded an autosave some of the graphics were messed up.

I wonder if those are iOS 8 problems or not. At least the game is playable, unlike some other SE games.

heringer

To be fair, some people consider the orchestral soundtrack to be inferior (as it wasn't made specifically for the game iirc, either way people did state in the original thread a while back that the original score sounded better to them), so it's not necessarily a negative, and the framerate on the PS2 version is also capped/locked (to 30fps, which is what the iOS one is as well I believe, when it's not slowing down). The lock to portait mode and lack of voices are negatives though, but how much could vary per person as well.

Definitely not 30 fps. I would say it's in the low 20's.

Top Bottom