• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Was playing some more Republique, and thinking about it and Device 6, I wish more games used that premise that your device is part of the world. Like how in Republique, you are the person helping Hope using your device. In Device 6, your phone essentially is the Device 6, going by the diagrams you see in the game. That's still a relatively novel premise. Any other games like that?

JCho133

Ah, that looks up my alley.

And JCho, go for the mini 2. I absolutely love mine and it runs everything I've thrown at it as smooth as butter. I'm guessing the mini 4 will have the Air 2's innards. So if you skip it, you'll still only be the same gap behind the Air 2. Then you can wait until 2016 and see if a mini 5 is released to catch up. I'm sure the mini 2 will still be relevant for another two years. Just my 2 cents.

That's the issue though. If I wait 6 or so months for the 4, then I'll be on par with the Air 2 and will have an even greater amount of time until I need a new one.

Plus I could get a 64gb for the price a 32gb used to be.

I could also get the 16 GB mini 3 as a gamble for the higher resale value

awp69

Was playing some more Republique, and thinking about it and Device 6, I wish more games used that premise that your device is part of the world. Like how in Republique, you are the person helping Hope using your device. In Device 6, your phone essentially is the Device 6, going by the diagrams you see in the game. That's still a relatively novel premise. Any other games like that?

Have to think on that. There's a lot of games that use it like a little computer for mission logs and stuff but that's not really that immersion.

It's a novelty game but I always thought UFO on Tape was kind of a cool use of the "device". Just a camera but more of a feeling of being in the game than the various bomber games.

awp69

That's the issue though. If I wait 6 or so months for the 4, then I'll be on par with the Air 2 and will have an even greater amount of time until I need a new one.

Plus I could get a 64gb for the price a 32gb used to be

Guess that's true. I don't know. It's impossible to stay on top of the game in electronics unless you have unlimited funds.

Your choice would have been a lot easier if Apple hadn't made the epic screw up that was the mini 3. I don't know what the hell they were thinking.

awp69

Sorry for the triple post but since they're unrelated...

Looks like Skullduggery is free. Willing to bet the farm that it's Pocket Gamer's free game for tomorrow. Absolute must have if you don't already have it. Very unique platformer blending Angry Birds like movement with incredibly original level design. Pretty tough too (if you go for all the goals).

Sye d'Burns

...if the internet chatter comes to fruition. It's a gamble either way.

Salsa

sorry bout that brojan

it'd be cool to make it a mobile thread in general tho? sorry to burst in but shouldnt android still count?

edit: oh, you said mobile here. was asking cause you only mentioned iOS on the PM

Flunkie

Banned
Oh, Salsa beat me to it. I had already talked to the mods about doing a mobile GOTY thread. Was going to model it after the other threads, with ranking, etc.
Cyan handled it brah brah. Gonna have a formal thread yay.

Good too, I forgot about Icebreaker.

sorry bout that brojan

it'd be cool to make it a mobile thread in general tho? sorry to burst in but shouldnt android still count?

edit: oh, you said mobile here. was asking cause you only mentioned iOS on the PM
Yeah, mobile in general. IOS, Android, etc.

I'm just so used to saying IOS when I talk about mobile gaming so that's the first thing that comes to mind for me

I plan to have the voting thread up by Thursday night.

Cyan handled it brah brah. Gonna have a formal thread yay.

Good too, I forgot about Icebreaker.
Released in 2013 unfortunately.

Fhdnenejjejdmrr,oeowowpeidfjnreksosodkwmwmemfmckskaoaisjdnrnwlaosufn
Trust me, I know the feeling. That's one of the greatest flaws of the App Store, that good games can so easily get overlooked. I've discovered hidden gems weeks, months, years after release.

Courtesy of the TA forums, here's a nice refresher that we had one hell of a year for quality mobile releases

January
Jet Car Stunts 2, Bardbarian, Shadow Blade, Baldur's Gate II, Trip Trap, Rocket Robo, Bloodstroke

February
Threes!, Final Fantasy VI, Toast Time, R-Type II, Blowfish Meets Meteor, Bug Heroes 2, Out There, Card City Nights

March
Bloo Kid 2, Block Fortress: War, Glorkian Warrior: Trials of Glork, Adventure Beaks, Tiny Space Adventure

April
Monument Valley, FTL: Faster Than Light, Groundskeeper 2, Dungeon Quest, Hitman Go, Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft, Wayward Souls, Leo's Fortune

May
Swoc: Of Swords and Blocks, Plax, Kiwanuka, Darkin, JoyJoy, Frontline: Road to Moscow, Battleheart Legacy, Perfect Paths

June
Tales of the Adventure Company, VVVVVV, Fluid SE, Powerpuff Girls: Dfenders of Townsville, Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake

July
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Beyond Gravity, A Few Billion Tiles, Mad Bullets, Traps 'N Gemstones, Deep Loot, 80 Days

August
Rules!, Desert Golfing, Pako, Dodo Master, Motorsport Manager, Deep Under the Sky, ALONE, Appointment with Fear

September
Mikey Boots, Valiant Hearts: The Great War, Goblin Sword, Phantom Rift, Tactics Maiden, Air Supply: SOS

October
Galaxy Trucker, Banner Saga, Inferno 2, Skullduggery!, Pixel Boat Rush, Sentinels of the Multiverse, Helix, Ghost Blade, Drift 'n' Drive, Woah Dave

November
Mr Particle-Man, Space Strafer, Space Expedition, Crossy Road, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Dwelp, Bean Dreams, Icewind Dale, XCOM Enemy Within

December
Shadowrun Dragonfall, Craft The World: Pocket Edition, Sneaky Sneaky, Papers Please, Seabeard

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
^^^^
Yep, and it's still missing a crapton of good stuff, like TellTale's games, Trials, Dragon Quest/s, Sky Force 2014, Ace Attorney DD, KERO Blast, Castle of Illusion...

I own a Mini 2. I love it, but at this point in time IF the new models are really coming in May I'd wait for the Mini 4 (*supposing* it's gonna have the Air 2's innards)... unless you find a refurb/used Mini 2 for a smashing price that you could easily resell only losing $50 or close to it.
The Mini 4 then would be so powerful that it'd easily be relevant for at least 4 years, probably lasting double the time of a Mini 2.

^^^^
Yep, and it's still missing a crapton of good stuff, like TellTale's games, Trials, Dragon Quest/s, Sky Force 2014, Ace Attorney DD, KERO Blast, Castle of Illusion...

I own a Mini 2. I love it, but at this point in time IF the new models are really coming in May I'd wait for the Mini 4 (*supposing* it's gonna have the Air 2's innards)... unless you find a refurb/used Mini 2 for a smashing price that you could easily resell only losing $50 or close to it.
The Mini 4 then would be so powerful that it'd easily be relevant for at least 4 years, probably lasting double the time of a Mini 2.
Totally forgot about Sky Force and Kero Blaster. I think my IOS GOTY list is going to be harder to narrow down than my general indie list and that's saying something, when stuff like NaissanceE and This War of Mine released on PC this year

Edit: oh, and Out There and Only One and Heavy Metal Thunder, Zengrams, Tengami, Dream Quest, Bioshock, Autumn Dynasty Warlords, Space Age, Spirits of Spring...
Edit2: and Reckless Racing 3 and Framed and Sunburn, Kingdom Rush Origins, Sleep Attack TD, The Ensign, Tap Lander...
Ugh, too many good games

Boy you guys were right, Papers, Please plays so well on my iPad Mini 2 (I could also put it on my full-sized iPad 3 if I want to go bigger)...given the layout of the game and the space you need to work with, I can't see how this would work on the PS Vita.

Now I just need to stop sucking so much at this game. Lol I'm just trying to figure out if it's okay to take my time in being thorough, or if it pays to get people through the line faster.

Flunkie

Banned
Gotta go with Skullduggery then.

Ive been playing A Dark Room after it occupying a spot on my phone for a long time. Not sure the point but it's a fun time waster. Stuck though. Don't what what to do once I've built/made everything up to the workshop.

Gotta go with Skullduggery then.

Ive been playing A Dark Room after it occupying a spot on my phone for a long time. Not sure the point but it's a fun time waster. Stuck though. Don't what what to do once I've built/made everything up to the workshop.
How far have you gotten? You'll know what I mean when you get there. It's much more than a time waster despite its outward appearance

daydream

Banned
Deleted Skullduggery after spending some time with it. Game seemed creatively bankrupt, from the gameplay to the visuals to the level structure. With so many stand-out games on iOS, nobody has to rely on titles like this anymore.

Skullduggery got really hard really fast. It was a simple gimmick but the timing and execution of it got crazy. Good and bad crazy. Reminded me a bit of To-Fu, only more hectic.

Flunkie

Banned
I meant, did you get to the
open world exploration section
yet?

Also check out The Ensign, if you haven't. This article describes it best.
http://killscreendaily.com/articles/ensign/

The Dark Souls of minimal ASCII adventure games
Nope, I haven't, though the game's been alluding to it for awhile. And I planned on getting the prequel after I beat ADR.

Fuck, posting with phone in bed trying to hide from sleeping gf is no fun. #neckstrain

Flunkie

Banned
Omg this game is amazing

(Just got compass)

A whole new worldddddddd

Omg I got a steel sword but didn't get back in time before I passed out

GOTY

okno

Had to peel myself away from the game to say...

Detective Grimoire is fucking fantastic

Feel bad snagging the game for free. It's truly fantastic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

there are always rumours. If you wait 6 months and nothing comes out, you'll then be thinking 'oh but the normal refresh is in 6 months', so you'll end up waiting a year.

Just jump in - new ones were released fairly recently so timing is fine. Look after it and resale value will hold up, so you can switch up at limited cost if you want next time.

awp69

Deleted Skullduggery after spending some time with it. Game seemed creatively bankrupt, from the gameplay to the visuals to the level structure. With so many stand-out games on iOS, nobody has to rely on titles like this anymore.

Respect your opinion, of course, but how far did you get? The levels get quite varied and quite original IMO.

May even wind up in my top 10 games of the year (although that list is going to be really tough).Everyone's different though.

JCho133

there are always rumours. If you wait 6 months and nothing comes out, you'll then be thinking 'oh but the normal refresh is in 6 months', so you'll end up waiting a year.

Just jump in - new ones were released fairly recently so timing is fine. Look after it and resale value will hold up, so you can switch up at limited cost if you want next time.

Alright, I'll do it.

Can you guys suggest any places for resale? Should I trade it in somewhere or sell it on eBay?

... wut.

daydream

Banned
Respect your opinion, of course, but how far did you get? The levels get quite varied and quite original IMO.

May even wind up in my top 10 games of the year (although that list is going to be really tough).Everyone's different though.

Not super far, of course, but I'll take your word on the level design. The gameplay is just super tired at this point. How many games where you pull back to make an arc appear and fling stuff whilst collecting three things and getting x/3 stars can a person play? IMO there's so much unique concepts on iOS that I'm baffled how this is a big(?) deal under any circumstances.

Not that the game was bad, although I'd have preferred bad with some interesting ideas over robust and dull (from a design perspective; I DID notice the difficulty ramping up pretty quickly, however, there's no inherent value in that for me).

awp69

How come I never heard of Help Me Jack? Sounds good from the Pocket Gamer review (got a Silver Award). Only concern is the whole freemium thing. This is one of the few PG reviews that really doesn't say how necessary they are or if there gems are easy to earn. Don't mind throwing the dev an IAPS but still want to know if it's a bottomless pit.

killercow

Yeah, Appspy should post a source or something. I find that hard to believe. Nothing on the dev's Twitter or Facebook, can't find any other articles
Oh it's official all right but the source is in Czech. It's a bit hard to know the details right now but they also want to do a brand new IP on mobile next year.

Simogo just announced something called "The Sensational December Machine" and I think it's coming out tomorrow.

Top Bottom