• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

killercow

Oh god, I'm so tempted to get Papers Please for my iPad Mini...but I've been trying to wait for the (supposedly confirmed) Vita version.

Never played it before and heard good things. How is it on iPad? Fuck, I don't know whether to wait or not!

I wouldn't wait for the Vita version. The iPad seems like the definite version (bigger screen estate and resolution)

heringer

But Apple censored it, didn't they? I hate that kind of shit. Might be willing to overlook that this time around, but fuck, man.

Nudity is already patched in.

Honestly though, even if it wasn't I wouldn't trade for the Vita version. I honestly cannot even imagine playing the game on a screen as small as Vita's. The iPad Mini is already a bit too small.

Looks like I hit a weird glitch. This dude is standing at my window but he didn't give me his documents, and the horn already blew and everyone left but the guy is just standing there and my window won't close.

Anilones

Looks like I hit a weird glitch. This dude is standing at my window but he didn't give me his documents, and the horn already blew and everyone left but the guy is just standing there and my window won't close.

Query the lack of passport with the requirement of having one?

Anyone play Dwelp? I saw it on TA's Hot Games, and what caught my attention was that it was a small minimal puzzle game that had 20 pages of comments.

Dwelp
https://appsto.re/us/tLGV3.i
http://youtu.be/KRviKmk8B8A
screen1136x1136.jpeg

This comment is from the author of Nontrivial Games blog, the main site I trust on logic puzze games
Very, very well done. One of the best puzzle games I've seen in a while.

Beautiful concept. The puzzles are a lot harder than might seem at first sight.

Very elegant implementation, with consistent animations all throughout. I like the small details like how the multiple undo and restart functions are integrated into a single control.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm on Day 30 and just arrived in Calcutta. Think I can make it?

In my experience the first "half" of your journey is going to take a lot longer, it's more dense with a lot more interconnected cities and pathways, as you get further around the globe the journeys are longer and you can travel a little quicker, so you've got a good chance. I love 80 days, such a fantastic concept and it works so well.

Double D

Oceanhorn is on sale.

Excellent, my patience has paid off!

In other news, I got Leo's Fortune on sale the other day and it is absolutely fantastic. Levels, puzzles, controls, visuals, platforming, and mechanics are all top notch. Only thing I could ask for is more of it. At least I have the challenge of going back and getting all the stars.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is it worth getting an ios mfi controller? Thinking of the Stratus XL (or perhaps the small one unless it is too fiddly) as a christmas present to myself. Just not sure how many games really take advantage of it, and whether that number is growing enough to suggest support will be widespread in the near future.

killercow

is it worth getting an ios mfi controller? Thinking of the Stratus XL (or perhaps the small one unless it is too fiddly) as a christmas present to myself. Just not sure how many games really take advantage of it, and whether that number is growing enough to suggest support will be widespread in the near future.

I can't recommend this website enough:
http://afterpad.com/mfigamelist

At least 539 games are supported. I have a Stratus XL and it's amazing but it has some weird issues (people have been reporting lag, but I don't have any at all). I've heard the Mad Catz C.T.R.L.i is great too.

Voidance

I bought the SteelSeries Stratus (non-XL) a while ago for 70% off... Not a good choice. Functionally, it's great -- it works well and many games control wonderfully with it. The hand cramps, though, continue to haunt me whenever I look at it.

That said, I would pounce on a good deal for a Stratus XL in a heartbeat assuming it functions just as well as the OG Stratus.

I tried searching but I couldn't find an answer-

How is "Papers, Please" for iPad mini?
Is it too small to play comfortably? I wanted to purchase it for my brother, but he only has the mini, not normal sized ipad. I know the game runs and plays excellently on ipad (fiance has it), but I didn't know how well playing on a smaller screen worked. I'll get it for him on Steam if it's no good.

Voidance

I tried searching but I couldn't find an answer-

How is "Papers, Please" for iPad mini?
Is it too small to play comfortably? I wanted to purchase it for my brother, but he only has the mini, not normal sized ipad. I know the game runs and plays excellently on ipad (fiance has it), but I didn't know how well playing on a smaller screen worked. I'll get it for him on Steam if it's no good.
I completed a playthrough of it this weekend on my Mini 3 and I had no issue discerning text or any other fine elements. If in doubt, there's a mechanic in the game that verifies/clears discrepancies if you are unable to resolve detail.

I completed a playthrough of it this weekend on my Mini 3 and I had no issue discerning text or any other fine elements. If in doubt, there's a mechanic in the game that verifies/clears discrepancies if you are unable to resolve detail.
Awesome! Thank you very much, Voidance. : )

JCho133

Apple, you're pissing me off.

So I was planning to buy an iPad mini 2 since the mini 3 is a waste of money, but now there's talks that a mini 4 will be released 2nd Quarter along side an Air Plus.

Why couldn't you just release the mini 4 now Apple? God damnit. Now I'm gonna have to wait like 6 months to buy an iPad.

Up yours Apple.

Voidance

Apple, you're pissing me off.

So I was planning to buy an iPad mini 2 since the mini 3 is a waste of money, but now there's talks that a mini 4 will be released 2nd Quarter along side an Air Plus.

Why couldn't you just release the mini 4 now Apple? God damnit. Now I'm gonna have to wait like 6 months to buy an iPad.

Up yours Apple.
As with any technology, if you take that approach, you'll be sitting out for a long time. While I'm the last guy to tell you how to spend your money, there came a time for me where I decided I didn't want to wait for the latest iPad and took the plunge. I actually got my Mini 3 for the Mini 2 price, so I feel pretty good about my purchase but even if I hadn't, I'm happy I decided to buy now instead of waiting.

Just my two cents as a frequent technology buyer.

JCho133

As with any technology, if you take that approach, you'll be sitting out for a long time. While I'm the last guy to tell you how to spend your money, there came a time for me where I decided I didn't want to wait for the latest iPad and took the plunge. I actually got my Mini 3 for the Mini 2 price, so I feel pretty good about my purchase but even if I hadn't, I'm happy I decided to buy now instead of waiting.

Just my two cents as a frequent technology buyer.

Thanks for the input... You're making me want to just go ahead and get the mini 2

I just don't think I'll have enough money to buy the mini 2 now AND the mini 4 later, especially since the New 3DS is coming out, and I would like to upgrade my phone to the 6S.

I guess I'll see how things go, maybe I can find a good discount on the mini 2 somewhere, but so far I've only seen discounts on the 16 gig version

Sye d'Burns

Thanks for the input... You're making me want to just go ahead and get the mini 2

I just don't think I'll have enough money to buy the mini 2 now AND the mini 4 later, especially since the New 3DS is coming out, and I would like to upgrade my phone to the 6S.

I guess I'll see how things go, maybe I can find a good discount on the mini 2 somewhere, but so far I've only seen discounts on the 16 gig version

Also, considering the specs of the mini 3, it's not as though games are going to be any worse off if you did go for the 2. For all practical purposes, it'll be as though you're only one gen behind the curve.

I went for a mini 2 after the 3 was announced. I have not been disappointed.

JCho133

Beta testing that XCOM inspired hex based TBS Dungeon Crawler I posted about a few weeks ago called Demon Hunters. It has potential but needs much more polish. Lots of content though and I'm optimistic

JCho133

Also, considering the specs of the mini 3, it's not as though games are going to be any worse off if you did go for the 2. For all practical purposes, it'll be as though you're only one gen behind the curve.

I went for a mini 2 after the 3 was announced. I have not been disappointed.

Haha, my plan from the beginning has been to get the mini 2. They were only soiled by the rumors of the mini 4 coming around May.

The mini 3 is a meaningless piece of tech

So what releases do we know of for tomorrow?
- TimeCube
(looks awesome)
- Brothers In Arms 3
A fun and competent shooter that works well on touch but...buried under a heap of free to play shenanigans that will likely put off the hardcore gamers who fancy new mobile shooter.
- maybe Sol Invictus

Anything else?

Pixelbite's (Reckless Racing 1,2,3) Repulze is on sale for 99c

Repulze by Pixelbite
https://appsto.re/us/JQynI.i
Fantastic game

JCho133

You guys might be a tad interested in this in-development game. Just a tad :p

Sol Avenger
mercuryFlight1.gif

:D

Gimme gimme gimme gimme

Who needs Difter and Galaxy on Fire?

I see its gonna be Kickstarted, hopefully it's successful. Probably a long way away from release.

This made me think Star Command.

Ugh. Why can't the legit version of that come to iOS? I mean, they built it in Unity. Damn bastards.

awp69

You guys might be a tad interested in this in-development game. Just a tad :p

Sol Avenger
mercuryFlight1.gif

Ah, that looks up my alley.

And JCho, go for the mini 2. I absolutely love mine and it runs everything I've thrown at it as smooth as butter. I'm guessing the mini 4 will have the Air 2's innards. So if you skip it, you'll still only be the same gap behind the Air 2. Then you can wait until 2016 and see if a mini 5 is released to catch up. I'm sure the mini 2 will still be relevant for another two years. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom