• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ioPs3Ht2eLoVm.png

i6JzbGE0beGsb.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain games that released both towards the end of the previous month and games that have released during the current month.
All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

Also keep an eye out for the ‘GAF iOS Challenges’; events where GAF battle it out on the Game Center leaderboards of a chosen game for both fame and fortune (prizes donated by members of our community).

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

issq3pkvt2NKA.png

iTgvQ6IGOyZpe.png

iUCOjYLC2AGf0.png

iKQTDIQOPREE4.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

. Awesome game. I was concerned about getting it originally because I wasn't sure how "board gamey" it was, but with the launch sale I figured I'd see what the hype was about and glad I did. Great adaptation and highly recommended.
It's the awesome Galaxy Trucker digital board game, now on iPhone. Same fun ship building, expansive campaign, and addictive multiplayer, for a smaller screen

ibnbKj4MNRCTdD.png

iE7mYD1px52bE.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Really challenging arcade evasion where you manipulate time. It's a really cool subversion of the usual twitch game formula. Rather than moving around the screen to avoid obstacles and dodge billets, your cube moves at a steady speed down the middle of the screen while you alter the speed of the obstacles. Speed them to clear a path or slow them down to allow your cube time to pass. The different obstacles and patterns offer a lot of variety for such a simple concept. My main gripe is that there's no level select and no IAP to remove ads

ifqsS9NH6wOBY.png

iYsXEQkLzVJ00.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

So, Platform Panic...

I love it, but I also hate it.

iJ1XZfJlbhLdc.png

iFZUE1AXPDSQT.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Enjoying papers, please but haven't olayed the PC version to compare. I hope it's normal to only be able to earn around $40 per day because it is pretty hard. As soon as you start to get the hang of one thing, they throw more rules at you. All my family except my wife died pretty quickly but now I can almost afford a grade 7 apartment.
I'm on day 20 and so far it feels great, like it was made for touch.

ibZs8prQFnOjI.png

iNPbsv4m5r8Ox.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Played some Sneaky Sneaky and while I really like the art style and the game controls well, I feel like the game is too easy. It's too forgiving, for a stealth game at least. There's no real consequences for being spotted, no extra motivation to remain unseen. Die and you simply start in the same room. You can acquire a near endless amount of arrows to attack enemies from a distance. You can upgrade yourself with more health and more damage, making early enemies a non-issue.

Now that said, I prefer ghosting levels and old school Splinter Cell over Batman and Blacklist so those probably won't be issues for everyone. The actual game is pretty good, a nice blend of puzzle and action, real time and turn based gameplay. Enemies move in patterns that you can learn to avoid, and if you're spotted, your enemies get three turns to attack. The different enemy abilities mixed with the strategic nature of the game makes Sneaky Sneaky feel more like a puzzle game than a straight-up stealth title. The colorful cute visuals definitely give the game a nice presentation.

There's also a very slight Metroid-esque elements in that you can return to early levels with new equipment you unlock to open previously inaccessible areas. But to be clear, it's not a Metroidvania; the game is separate levels.

If there's one flaw, it's the enemies with random routes. It totally throws a wrench into the methodical puzzle nature of the game. Waiting and watching to time your movements to avoid patrols is a key and rewarding part of stealth games; waiting for the random chance of an enemy to move and having no way to know where they're go next just ruins that element

ibqk8OLkQMExBe.png

iA22VHYHD4iJm.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Anyone playing Volt? Got to recommend it again. It's my second time playing it, although I never progressed that far in the PC version because the mouse controls just didn't compliment with gameplay. Not the way touch controls do, since you do things like use multitouch to fire both beams at the same time.

Now that I've gotten further than I did on PC, I can say the game is definitely really great. More puzzle and action aspects than I remembered like dodging missiles and shooting enemies, and elements I hadn't encounter before like portals. Along with the limited energy beams and physics elements, I'd say it's less precision speed runner, more precision action puzzle platformer. Achieving the par times has the same appeal of reaching the slice pars in Icebreaker, figuring how to optimize each energy hook and swing. Definitely recommended

Haven't gotten far but am enjoying it so far. Only thing I don't like is that the timer starts immediately when you enter or go to the next level so you do not have time to react. I find myself having to complete the level with a higher time after being able to look at it first then replaying it to get the par time. Kind of a cheap way to increase difficulty or basically make you almost always have to replay a level.

iCdOOmf19JwwY.png

ibgDHk2EPNVmHw.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Tunesmith said:
[Played on an iPhone 6] Without spoiling anything, the first episode starts out a little slow, but I felt it got much stronger once certain key scenes involving previously known characters came around. This game puts some harsh decisions in your lap from the get go, much like in typical Game of Thrones fashion. Once the episode came to a close I was firmly invested and I am anxiously waiting for Episode 2 now. Got a solid 3-3.5 hours of play out of this, with one or two reloads when some of the choices I made had undesirable consequences. If you like Game of Thrones and interactive movie adventure games this is a no-brainer.
GoT really heats up my Air 2. So much that I feel like I'm gonna hurt it.

ibtQdv6AJMvcyE.png

ibVkr6K4wNYNL.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

ibgugdBuchjzAg.png

iHPhS6E8NikR4.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Bean Dreams is amazing and kumobius deserves your money. Buy it everyone!

Aaaand done with Bean Dreams. For now, since there are clearly more levels on the way.

The challenge is way toned down from the first game. Which means less frustration, yes, but also means it's not as satisfying to win. I 100%ed what's in the game so far and it didn't feel like much of an accomplishment.

Of the new gimmicks, rolling is definitely the best. The chili looks cool and is a clever idea, but meddles in an awkward way with the single thing that makes Bean's Quest so great: the perfect, simple control scheme. It's slightly painful to switch to swiping after getting accustomed to a really smooth and easy touch-and-hold control scheme the whole rest of the game. Honestly, the challenge I got from adapting to the chili control was greater than any of the platforming challenges through the rest of the game. Except that it was only challenging in a frustrating way.

Still, complaints aside, I did enjoy the game. I loved Bean's Quest when I first played it a few years ago, and played it into the ground getting 100% through the whole thing. Minus that satisfying challenge, Bean Dreams does still have the charming (and improved!) graphics, the perfect (except for the chili) gameplay, the fun iOS platforming. And perhaps the upcoming levels will change my mind on the difficulty.

Well worth the two or three bucks. Thanxolotl!

i3htm7OFAc5zf.png

iQfRKRRrxC4O2.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

Surprisingly the touch controls work! They don't look great but I've played enough to know that you can do the entire game with them. It's not ideal but it does the job. Performance is also great on my air but it dips when I hide in bushes. Other than that (and the compressed audio), this port is really impressive.

iyDeaUpZsOQOo.png

iDn1hiupjMoC5.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

I've been playing this, and I can confirm that the port is excellent. It is such a nice experience on the iPad.
Tunesmith said:
My favorite point and click adventure game of all time, now in my pocket. Can't get much better than this!

ibrTSiR4rZvcgC.png

ibkcCrIbMR7IT5.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

As an old school Frogger fan, really digging Crossy Road. Just one of those "gotta try one more time" games.

I never understood the Flappy Bird phenomenon but, boy...am I addicted to Crossy Road!!!

Just unlocked Gandalf...hilarious.
The game is great, and the IAP is painless. My favorite character so far is the fish, how he moves is hilarious too... saw your score [Pitta] on twitter... I have to get back on track but Kingdom Rush Origins doesnt let me... damn..
Crossy Road - Really addictive. Nice colorful voxel art style, and simple tight controls. Going to be hooked on this for a while

iXcpVBNnyQfHz.png

icUZwb6L4SCnb.jpeg

ipCZS3H2IBpRL.png

So far it seems to me that is the best one yet. There are a lot of little additions here and there -like enemies going into waterfalls or along rivers- that makes an even more engrossing experience. The IAP most powerful heroes are: A walking tree that seems powerful for 5$, a magic dragon that seems even more powerful for 7$ and two "coming soon" heroes. But the basic hero -an elf archer- that comes for free seems nice. Deals damage, shoots really fast. Its a good unit. The rest of the game is the same. The same polished and balanced tower defense. The best one too, followed by Sleep Attack. Need to sleep now.
I'm not a big fan of TD genre. I've played a few but none really grabbed me.

But I decided to try Kingdom Rush Origins anyway.

After playing a few levels, I really like it, I think. Like I said, I have very little experience with TD, but here's my thoughts on why Kingdom Rush is considered top dog:

- It's easy to get into, but gets HARD pretty fast. This is probably because I suck at TD's, but I think the game will kick my ass pretty hard.
- There's something very distinct about the aesthetics. I really like the look of the game. It's simple, but charming. Same with the audio. Overall I think the presentation is very attractive, cohesive and polished, unlike a lot of generic looking games in the genre. Interface is very pleasant and polished too.
- There's a lot of micromanagement. Wow. You just don't stand idle for 10 seconds. There's always something to do. Always something to take care of. This is really different from the "set up and wait" flow I had with other games.
- Maps are very different, which makes you approach each level very differently too.
- Playing the same levels again with modifiers might be a great way to extend the length. You are not forced to do it though, so it doesn't feel like artificial padding, just more juice.

Maybe there's something else I can't define it yet, but these are the feelings this TD noob is having. Am I right or way off?

Shame there's only three heroes though. I know buying the others is not necessary, but they look so cool and must be pretty fun to play around too. A question by the way, are the heroes progressively better or just different from each other?

ic20Kf6xrbfU.png

ibaqoMuAfTMyEH.png

iLm9XemGutxxS.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
ibyHj0Eql09WPw.png

A friend of mine has a blog and does daily roundups of iOS releases.
http://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/

[OUT NOW]Bean Dreams, the sequel to Bean Quest, is coming out december 4th for 2.99$. It's compatible with the iPad1+ and the iPhone 3GS+.

More info here:
http://www.kumobius.com/presskits/sheet.php?p=bean_dreams
[OUT NOW]Game of Thrones Episode 1: Iron From Ice is coming december 4th to iOS.
Also I asked the devs [makers of Heavy Metal Thunder] on Twitter and they said that Sol Invictus should be releasing mid-December

ippJAuUVwHtsA.png

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

iq4XyeMdqqoju.png

iPyNA27sLHkAs.jpg

iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

iOUdKomG1O1K3.png

Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

if6jTSmBmYIcK.png

ibkCJVCVCRONTR.png

iIxEI6FTPvnDN.png

###
The Game Center user list is here: quote to see
###

iOS Membership said:
Rules

• Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting:

GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)

• When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs

ibgtQNEI0Jnx7a.png

###
The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see
###

idg3hDZGrbbeF.png

How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak.
i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:

• Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!

How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).

Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely.
As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/ which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.

I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Why iOS Rocks / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome and your wallet will hurt.

For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.

I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

iizlxIqJuSAnx.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!

Special title thanks to The ChewyWaffles

ibszFeilqq66SN.png

colinp

Banned
You should have opened the thread in gaming! It makes no sense that the Weekly Fighting Game thread can stay in gaming while this monthly thread goes to community.

Have mods given any explanation?

Flunkie

Banned
Fucking mods. Bring this thread back to gaming. It wasn't hurting anyone, there's countless threads like it in gaming, and this isn't just one game we're talking about. Very unique monthly thread deserves to be seen with the amount of work put into the OT.

Flunkie

Banned
For everyone: what are two games you've been playing consistently for the past two weeks?

Flunkie's Two Game Two Weeks Question!

Didn't realize there was a new thread till now. Looking back at last month's thread, there were 44 comments on the first day. October had 68 comments on the first day

I think that's a clear sign that the move to Community will only be detrimental to the amount of participation and activity in these threads

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For iOS? Definitely, it has nowhere near the amount of exposure as say PSN or the steam threads. Dumb decision/generalising across all these "service threads".

Minsc

Gold Member
For iOS? Definitely, it has nowhere near the amount of exposure as say PSN or the steam threads. Dumb decision/generalising across all these "service threads".

General purpose threads (which are really meant to be subscribed to) that work against the Gaming forum policy of new threads for new news seem to fit best in Gaming Community. People have made specific iOS threads in the main Gaming forum for news where before it may have just been bumped here. So the system is working, eventually people will figure out there's a great thread like this (or for any other platform), and subscribe to it if they want to partake in the platform's community discussion.

I appreciate the discussion in this thread (and others), and the work in the OP, but that's how it is. Once you subscribe to the thread, it matters little which forum it is, and hopefully in time (maybe a few months, maybe longer), more and more people will also subscribe to it.

colinp

Banned
General purpose threads (which are really meant to be subscribed to) that work against the Gaming forum policy of new threads for new news seem to fit best in Gaming Community. People have made specific iOS threads in the main Gaming forum for news where before it may have just been bumped here. So the system is working, eventually people will figure out there's a great thread like this (or for any other platform), and subscribe to it if they want to partake in the platform's community discussion.

I appreciate the discussion in this thread (and others), and the work in the OP, but that's how it is. Once you subscribe to the thread, it matters little which forum it is, and hopefully in time (maybe a few months, maybe longer), more and more people will also subscribe to it.

So why is the FGC thread still in gaming?

And I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how people interact with and use GAF. I never subscribe to threads! I don't want to spend time subscribing and unsubscribing from threads. It's a waste of time.

wihio

I wonder how many users of NeoGAF want these threads buried in Community. It seems like the structure of a site or forum would be better formed by those that read, create, and use the content. Don't get me wrong, mods are essential to the process, but I'd love to see where users have been complaining about threads like this hanging out in Gaming.

Two games: VainGlory and Valiant Hearts.

Flunkie

Banned

And I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how people interact with and use GAF. I never subscribe to threads! I don't want to spend time subscribing and unsubscribing from threads. It's a waste of time.
Couldn't agree more.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I wonder how many users of NeoGAF want these threads buried in Community. It seems like the structure of a site or forum would be better formed by those that read, create, and use the content. Don't get me wrong, mods are essential to the process, but I'd love to see where users have been complaining about threads like this hanging out in Gaming.

Two games: VainGlory and Valiant Hearts.
Could be wrong but from what I've been told it sounds like a moderation decision rather than a result of user complaints, seemingly chasing that endless "what is the purpose of the community section?" question.

Been playing the shit out of World of Tanks Blitz lately. Great game.

uMKc6Av.png

The struggle was real at Tier V lol. Thankfully I now own a Tier VI (KV-1S) and the average player skill has taken a noticeable jump. Most likely because Tier VI has really tough matchmaking that often pits you against Tier VII and VIII tanks.

Flunkie

Banned
Been playing the shit out of World of Tanks Blitz lately. Great game.

uMKc6Av.png

The struggle was real at Tier V lol. Thankfully I now own a Tier VI (KV-1S) and the average player skill has taken a noticeable jump. Most likely because Tier VI has really tough matchmaking that often pits you against Tier VII and VIII tanks.
I keep coming back to this too. I have a tier IV M3 Lee.

I keep coming back to this too. I have a tier IV M3 Lee.

Yeesh, isn't that tank infamous for being terrible? Best of luck to you.

If you want a great all-around tank, I suggest getting the Soviet Tier V KV-1. It is just so good. Durable, good damage; you feel like such a threat to your opponents. I made it to Tier VI and got the KV-1S, and it does huge damage but the tradeoff is that it has less armor than the KV-1. It's fun, but in a different playstyle. I don't feel like as much of a badass as I do in the KV-1.

wihio

Could be wrong but from what I've been told it sounds like a moderation decision rather than a result of user complaints, seemingly chasing that endless "what is the purpose of the community section?" question.
Yeah, that's what I gather. If the users don't care, why change it?? In fact, the users universally (seemingly) disagree with moving the threads.

As a subscriber I don't care, but it is a fact that traffic has decreased here noticeably since the move. Facilitating discussion is the name of the game here, so why make a move like this that just closes it off?

Finally jumped in to the Monument Valley expansion- it is worth every penny!

Yeah, that's what I gather. If the users don't care, why change it?? In fact, the users universally (seemingly) disagree with moving the threads.

As a subscriber I don't care, but it is a fact that traffic has decreased here noticeably since the move. Facilitating discussion is the name of the game here, so why make a move like this that just closes it off?

Finally jumped in to the Monument Valley expansion- it is worth every penny!
This was the reply I got when I asked about the move
Unfortunately the move is sticking. It's what the vision of the site is supposed to be, new threads for new news. If there's discussion, bring it to gaming in its own thread. General purpose threads don't belong in gaming, for the most part. These are the type of threads you subscribe to for updates, and they generally go in Community.

Brakara

Community is where threads go to die. I mean, I use subscriptions because using GAF in any other way makes no sense to me at all, but the problem is that nobody, and I mean nobody, browses the community section for new threads. Which is why threads like this one will never see new participants, while we're also losing most people who don't use subscriptions. And that's just plain wrong. I guess we can only hope the mods will get some sense back...

Anyway, Crossy Road and the new Kingdom Rush game are very, very good.

I'm back, yay!

One more week left on the special Monument Valley RED level. I finished it and it's a very substantial level considering that ustwo is giving it away for charity. I hope more people pick it up.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm back, yay!

One more week left on the special Monument Valley RED level. I finished it and it's a very substantial level considering that ustwo is giving it away for charity. I hope more people pick it up.

Just grabbed it and Forgotten Shores myself, and finally finished off the last of the original levels while I was in there.

Wthermans

Banned
Didn't realize there was a new thread till now. Looking back at last month's thread, there were 44 comments on the first day. October had 68 comments on the first day

I think that's a clear sign that the move to Community will only be detrimental to the amount of participation and activity in these threads
Agreed. This move is doing nothing to increase discussion about iOS in this thread, nor GAF as a whole.

Well I'm subscribed and discussion has dropped so it apparently does matter which forum the post resides in. I don't want to wait months (or longer) for discussion to return to Pre-Community levels. I want that time to be used drawing more interest in the General Gaming forum and growing our community.

The Mod understanding of how GAF is actually used is flawed. You have taken a growing community and intentionally stifled their discussion in some vague "grand vision" for the site. As a normal poster, it sucks.

Anyways, I'm looking to get a MFi controller for my Air 1. Torn between the MOGA and Stratus XL at the moment. Anyone have any input on either device?

For everyone: what are two games you've been playing consistently for the past two weeks?

Vainglory and GTA Chinatown Wars

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I wonder why the Comics OT in off-topic seems to be the only outlier in the new community regime, those threads are monthly too and they keep being made on the main page.

edit: the Fighting Games one on gaming too, but I guess being weekly has something to do with it? No idea.

Not saying you have to use it (I've been using it for years and I always check my subs much more than anything else), but there's really no need to unsub from anything imo. Whenever a thread dies and stops getting replies it just goes away from the first sub page.

Also, only threads with new replies show up in the User Control Panel too, so it makes unsubbing even less of a thing. I just turned on the "sub to any threads where I post in" thing and never looked back. Whenever I don't want a thread showing up anymore I just click "unsubscribe" below it on the Control Panel, pretty painless.

The User CP is superior to the Subscriptions panel in every way, it sucks it doesn't exist on Mobile GAF though.

Community is where threads go to die. I mean, I use subscriptions because using GAF in any other way makes no sense to me at all, but the problem is that nobody, and I mean nobody, browses the community section for new threads. Which is why threads like this one will never see new participants, while we're also losing most people who don't use subscriptions. And that's just plain wrong. I guess we can only hope the mods will get some sense back...

Anyway, Crossy Road and the new Kingdom Rush game are very, very good.
Yeah, this is a problem imo. Whoever uses subs barely looks at the main pages already to begin with, never mind browsing community where there are a lot of unintelligibly titled threads for the most part. I'd reckon it's the same for anyone who doesn't use subscriptions.

edit 2:

Been playing the Guardians of the Galaxy game, it's fun for quick pick-up-and-play sessions. Love how there's so much content from the comics.

I also got back to Ace Attorney 5, I'm on the third case. Whenever I play it I have a good time but for some reason this one has a hard time pulling me back, so I end up not playing it for consecutive sessions like I did with previous entries in the series.

Thanks for the good work on the OP once again, Tunesmith.

Wthermans

Banned
Honestly, if weekly threads can remain in the main forum, these thread should be retooled to be Weekly iOS threads. Would allow for more discussion and exposure instead of being in the Community Graveyard.

Minsc

Gold Member
Agreed. This move is doing nothing to increase discussion about iOS in this thread, nor GAF as a whole.

Well I'm subscribed and discussion has dropped so it apparently does matter which forum the post resides in. I don't want to wait months (or longer) for discussion to return to Pre-Community levels. I want that time to be used drawing more interest in the General Gaming forum and growing our community.

Did you miss what I posted earlier? The main gaming forum has already improved in just the last month and is getting new threads since these community-centered platform-type threads have been out of Gaming.

If you want to discuss something, it's simple. Make a thread about it in gaming. That is the point of the Gaming forum, to contain new threads about specific things, not general threads where tons of news gets collected in a mega-thread and the discussion could be about anything. If discussion goes off topic in your thread (because 'lol iOS' or whatever) PM a mod, and they can deal with the people who need to be dealt with.

This type of thread serves a community of people/gamers, hence it is in Community. Discussion is not about a specific iOS game, it is about anything related to the iOS platform as a whole. Discussion isn't even about recent releases and news, it's about anything at all. That is much too big a scope for a thread (new threads for new news), and iOS is way too big a platform to be tied down in a thread, though that's largely irrelevant.

Not saying you have to use it (I've been using it for years and I always check my subs much more than anything else), but there's really no need to unsub from anything imo. Whenever a thread dies and stops getting replies it just goes away from the first sub page.

Also, only threads with new replies show up in the User Control Panel too, so it makes unsubbing even less of a thing. I just turned on the "sub to any threads where I post in" thing and never looked back. Whenever I don't want a thread showing up anymore I just click "unsubscribe" below it on the Control Panel, pretty painless.

The User CP is superior to the Subscriptions panel in every way, it sucks it doesn't exist on Mobile GAF though.
Where is that option? Checked the Control Panel and didn't see it

Wthermans

Banned
Did you miss what I posted earlier? The main gaming forum has already improved in just the last month and is getting new threads since these community-centered platform-type threads have been out of Gaming.

If you want to discuss something, it's simple. Make a thread about it in gaming. That is the point of the Gaming forum, to contain new threads about specific things, not general threads where tons of news gets collected in a mega-thread and the discussion could be about anything. If discussion goes off topic in your thread (because 'lol iOS' or whatever) PM a mod, and they can deal with the people who need to be dealt with.

This type of thread serves a community of people/gamers, hence it is in Community. Discussion is not about a specific iOS game, it is about anything related to the iOS platform as a whole. Discussion isn't even about recent releases and news, it's about anything at all. That is much too big a scope for a thread (new threads for new news), and iOS is way too big a platform to be tied down in a thread, though that's largely irrelevant.
Most discussion in this thread is about releases from the past week or month. Not to mention the titles that go on sale each week.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Btw, thanks Minsc for always reaching out to provide explanations here and on the Steam thread.

Where is that option? Checked the Control Panel and didn't see it
Yeah it's not a very clear feature, I actually had to look for it because I didn't remember how it's activated lol. It's under "Edit Options" here:

ib1zhZnwARAaEG.png

It's defaulted to "do not subscribe" but if you set it to "no email notification" (or any of the other options) it starts automatically subbing to any thread you reply to.

Minsc

Gold Member
Maybe we could make the iOS threads weekly from now on?

Or maybe we could have no iOS threads at all if it's going to be a big problem for people... Making it weekly changes nothing, except for giving the OP 4x more work.

Look, we're in community with all the other similar threads (for the most part, I imagine they'll all get here sooner or later if some are missed currently). Just make the best of it.

Nyx

Maybe we could give the best game(s) of the month a separate thread in Gaming, like with KR Origins last week.

And in those threads the OP should link this monthly thread for the iOS enthusiasts in Gaming who don't know this thread yet.

heringer

Or maybe we could have no iOS threads at all if it's going to be a big problem for people... Making it weekly changes nothing, except for giving the OP 4x more work.

Look, we're in community with all the other similar threads (for the most part, I imagine they'll all get here sooner or later if some are missed currently). Just make the best of it.

Well, from what I'm understanding the weekly threads aren't being moved here. If that's not the case, nevermind then.

awp69

What about having a sticky thread in the Gaming forum - something like "Gaming Platform Communities - SEE HERE" - and have it just be one post that contains links to the latest platform specific community threads (iOS, Nintendo downloads or whatever). The OPs of each thread could email a mod to add a thread.

Just a thought that might be a good compromise.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
What about having a sticky thread in the Gaming forum - something like "Gaming Platform Communities - SEE HERE" - and have it just be one post that contains links to the latest platform specific community threads (iOS, Nintendo downloads or whatever). The OPs of each thread could email a mod to add a thread.

Just a thought that might be a good compromise.

That's no better than just going into the community tab and just looking what threads are there though, it won't make the threads any more visible to casual readers who skim thread titles in the main boards.

I started playing Out There again.

I also have been going back to my fabvorite TD style games, The Creeps and lately Crystal War(what happened here, the game won't even rotate with the phone and looks really crappy).

Also, did they ever make any games similar to Crystal War? I really loved that twist on the genre.

Top Bottom