• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

Some bit Dungeon 2 impressions from the Indie Games thread
Bit Dungeon II is really good. Really good.

It's basically Legend of Zelda Link to the Past (overview, exploration, dungeon design, level design) there is a bit of Dark Souls thrown in, there is a beta online mode and bonfires/campfires (outside of restoring your health I don't know what else they do) and it's Roguelike. So there is permadeath. When starting out you can start with an additional life, so you technically get two lives before it's permadeath. I suppose it's also possible to find more lives.

But it's so good.
So Zelda + Dark Souls...

Game is released tomorrow. On Twitter, dev said he's thinking $2.99 for IOS/Android

awp69

Some bit Dungeon 2 impressions from the Indie Games thread

So Zelda + Dark Souls...

Game is released tomorrow. On Twitter, dev said he's thinking $2.99 for IOS/Android

Those are some pretty big words. I'd have to say that while Bit Dungeon was decent, this sequel would have to be a gigantic improvement if it's really as good as it's being made out to be.

Let's take a moment and pretend it's 2012 again.

OMG, The Room is f@$king amazing. I should played it a long long time ago. It's like my favorite levels from Monument Valley (aka The Box and The Oubliette), expanded tenfold with a Lovecraftian atmosphere. I thought Monument Valley was tactile, but The Room just blows it away in that aspect. The way the objects unfold and open up, revealing more and more layers and innerworkings within, makes it one of the most engaging puzzle games I've played in a long time.

Along with Device 6, I'd say that The Room is one of the games that defines what mobile games can accomplish when they fully embrace the strengths of the platform. The Room has a PC version too, but why anyone would want to experience an experience like this, where half the enjoyment comes from pushing and prodding and twisting and manipulating, on a computer with a mouse is just beyond me

Remember it's 2012, so no laughing at me for being so damn late to the party :p

Now onto The Room 2!

NoPiece

Let's take a moment and pretend it's 2012 again.

OMG, The Room is f@$king amazing. I should played it a long long time ago. It's like my favorite levels from Monument Valley (aka The Box and The Oubliette), expanded tenfold with a Lovecraftian atmosphere. I thought Monument Valley was tactile, but The Room just blows it away in that aspect. The way the objects unfold and open up, revealing more and more layers and innerworkings within, makes it one of the most engaging puzzle games I've played in a long time.

Along with Device 6, I'd say that The Room is one of the games that defines what mobile games can accomplish when they fully embrace the strengths of the platform. The Room has a PC version too, but why anyone would want to experience an experience like this, where half the enjoyment comes from pushing and prodding and twisting and manipulating, on a computer with a mouse is just beyond me

Remember it's 2012, so no laughing at me for being so damn late to the party :p

Now onto The Room 2!

I really wish they'd make an iPhone version of it. Is there any reason it wouldn't work, especially with the size of the iPhone 6?

PittaGAF

Those Out There Sigma shots look beautiful.

:)

As far as I've read, there should be even 'movement' and 'effects' in place (much more than it is now, which is very subtle or non existent), they revamped the whole engine while doing the PC port.

Too bad it won't be here for Christmas, I really was hoping for it.

Matt Frost

So post range #300-400 (rough count) was fucking depressing to read, certain people seem to be living in a bubble wistfully ignorant when it comes to the leading iOS demographic and how it actually correlates to other platforms.

Re-thinking my desire to post these threads now with this kind of bullshit around instead of conversations about games.

OP updated.

Agreed. Some people believe that iOS is a hardcore gaming device by playing freemium games, sigh... More than hardcore gamers they should be called freemium suckers or hardcore morons lol... You dont know what to expect from kids these days, damn. Edit:add: or people who sells freemium games and their answers trying to keep what they sell at all costs. I dont like salesman people. Freemium games are destroying gaming by adding previously pre-IAP non-existing mechanics into our games just to diminish or gaming pleasure, so they can be really counted as games? I dont think so, is like letting the enemy inside your house. We should fight freemium if we like to keep our gaming fun and sane.

Please dont stop making these threads. A little heat cant be that harmful and you always learn something from them. And its a happy family.

Guys how likely is it for Square Enix to have a holiday sale?

I really want to buy FF Tactics and maybe TWEWY but the prices are a bit too high imo and I don't want to buy them now only to miss a sale next week or so...

flowsnake

I really want to buy FF Tactics and maybe TWEWY but the prices are a bit too high imo and I don't want to buy them now only to miss a sale next week or so...

I think fairly likely. There was already a Final Fantasy sale in November, but Tactics was not included. Last year TWEWY and Tactics were on sale on December 20.

The price history is on Appshopper.

Wthermans

Banned

Be careful with TWEWY. Last I heard it's still not working on iOS 8.

I'm really hoping we get an Oceanhorn sale at Christmas.

Likely around 30%. You should wait, forever if needs be LOL!

JCho133

bit Dungeon II <3<3<3

Edit: So good! Except there's no way to pause and I have no idea what the benefit of campfires is

killercow

Some people on TA are saying that bit Dungeon II doesn't save your progress. Is that true? That's a big bummer, the original always saved when you entered a new room (it did right?!)

chris121580

It has saved mine fine and I'm loving the game. I think the campfires work like in the Dark Souls series...you get full life back but enemies respawn in dungeons. Not sure on that, this game doesn't do hardly any hand holding

JCho133

Some people on TA are saying that bit Dungeon II doesn't sabe your progress. Is that true? Tha's a big bummer, the original always saved when you entered a new room (it did right?!)

Original saved at every dungeon.

This one is saving for me at every room just fine

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
Seabeard is pretty bad and will get no IAP from me, I see no evidence of goodwill in the design of this machine.
Alcazar on the other hand is probably the best logic puzzler in years, with enough free levels to show the breadth and depth of the game, at which point I am happy to spend three dollars or whatever to get more.

PittaGAF

Rodeo just officially announced Warhammer Quest for Steam...aaaaaaand in their Facebook page they said, literally: WE'VE GOT A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE NEW YEAR!

Now...My English is limited so I'm here at work struggling if this means they have an announcement VERY SOON (like today) for a new project that will see the light next year, or if they mean they will announce something big next year.

For an impatient nerd that makes a huge difference.

killercow

Rodeo just officially announced Warhammer Quest for Steam...aaaaaaand in their Facebook page they said, literally: WE'VE GOT A BIG ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE NEW YEAR!

Now...My English is limited so I'm here at work struggling if this means they have an announcement VERY SOON (like today) for a new project that will see the light next year, or if they mean they will announce something big next year.

Probably the latter, at least this is what it means to me :)

JCho133

I want it to be the former, but yeah, it's more likely the latter

Flunkie

Banned
It was late for me. I meant Omega, lol. Too much geophysics in my head right now, surprised I didn't say delta or phi or rho.

killercow

Simogo just said: "So, hm, maybe a little thing ready to leave the Simogo nest this week?"

O.M.G!

I'm betting it's a sort of small story for the holidays/christmas with music by Daniel Olsen :)

JCho133

Hey, look at this!

NbKrwBN.png

Bit Dungeon 2 could have used some more time in the oven. The greatness is there but there are bunch of little flaws that damage the experience.

- The game desperately needs some kind of map. At least for the overworld. It's sprawling, with dungeons and chests and weird locations and campfires to find. And if you die, good luck reaching your heart. If you're injuried, good luck trying to find your way back to the nearest campfire.

- Campfires are way too far apart. I get it's a roguelike but even Dark Souls had bonfires at reasonable distances, when you reach a new area, etc. Here, I've entered multiple regions, entered a dungeon, haven't seen another campfire

- Needs a way to pause the game, return to the main menu, adjust options, etc. That's like basic; I'm surprised it's nowhere to be found

- The game should be fullscreen by default and should save your options preference. I've had to change the fullscreen and shadows options repeatedly

But aside from that, Bit Dungeon 2 is quite fun. I love that you can dual wield weapons, that your gear is visible on your body, that you have special attacks. There are some really cool and intetesting enemy designs and secrets

awp69

Card City Nights is tomorrow's Pocket Gamer freebie. It's actually a pretty fun casual card battler. I'm not big into card games so that's saying something. Probably better for newbies more than those into the Ascension-type games.

YES! The dev of Incoboto went silent due to personal issues months ago but he's back now with new screenshots of his ambitious in-development project Bemuse

Here's the latest update from November
http://www.fluttermind.com/news/some-activity-at-last

It is a single-player game designed to be played in short bursts, and revolves around finding the ritual elements necessary to banish a single Demon in a four day period. Night is more dangerous than day, as Ghosts wander around the environments draining your life if you end a turn on one of their locations.

During the game, the main Demon 'Stirs' (i.e. kind of tosses and turns in his sleep), which causes a whole heap of unpleasant effects in the world.
-
These are Demons. These things will rip out your heart and feed on it just to watch the light in your eyes flicker out. These are beings that will mislead you and get you to do things that kill you. These are the most evil, tricksy, mercurial beings in existence. Most of them want you to die... while they applaud. Summoning a Demon is a potentially life-threatening event you need to take very seriously. You'll have to learn rituals to protect yourself, and hope that you've done enough to not have your spine removed through your nose. Think 'Hello Kitty meets The Exorcist' or 'Dark Souls with bunnies'.

Demons, hidden everywhere, to be combated by understanding and manipulating both them and the world they inhabit via arcane rituals you learn about throughout play. Some rituals are lies. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Demons will swallow your soul. Demons will try to trick you.

1PzJEkm.jpg

That Demon looks really rather nice when it roars and looks at you. The path to the right curves around into the distance, and you can walk around the level as it all rotates rather prettily.

At the moment, I'm re-implementing the weird rule-systems of the game, reintegrating death/exhaustion and status changes, and will then be going back to those regions and 3D-ing them so that they are in the game, with all of their weird interactive bits intact.

2D concept screenshots showing off the mood and atmosphere

Oh god, I'm so tempted to get Papers Please for my iPad Mini...but I've been trying to wait for the (supposedly confirmed) Vita version.

Never played it before and heard good things. How is it on iPad? Fuck, I don't know whether to wait or not!

Top Bottom