• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

This looks like a cool Ziggurat-like, from the devs of The Firm

Towaga, $2.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCYxPhdY2Ns
screen520x924.jpeg

Man the art style is freaking gorgeous, but does the gameplay hold up?

Nope! I'm a virgin. Wasn't feeling it for my first 10-20 deaths, mostly because they came so quickly. Once I began to understand the world and how the game works, I quickly got sucked into it. The game is a total rush once it begins to make sense.
There's a reason why people play this game for hundreds of hours

The insanity of the builds you can get from stacked items are wild. And there are so many secrets, and an mysterious drip-feed of new unlocks and mechanics that emerge as you unlock more stuff

Just had an amazing run

I think auto-fire is the best way to play the game. Given that you don't need to track enemies in all directions like most dual sticks, and since the directional shooting relies heavily on your positioning, often you'll be firing in one direction for an extended period of time. Auto-fire lets you set the desired direction and then just focus on movement and evasion

Also I'm surprised by how much I enjoy playing in portrait on iPad, and how well it plays in portrait. I never play games in portrait on iPad.

okno

Just had an amazing run

I think auto-fire is the best way to play the game. Given that you don't need to track enemies in all directions like most dual sticks, and since the directional shooting relies heavily on your positioning, often you'll be firing in one direction for an extended period of time. Auto-fire lets you set the desired direction and then just focus on movement and evasion

Also I'm surprised by how much I enjoy playing in portrait on iPad, and how well it plays in portrait. I never played games in portrait on iPad.

If I were playing on an iPad, I would likely be playing it in portrait, as well. Works okay on my 6s+, but it is definitely much harder to aim correctly and see smaller details. Landscape is sublime, but can be a little awkward, such as when I gained the ability to jump. The inclusion of the aim hold is brilliant, and is really what makes the game so playable on mobile.

The biggest complaint I have about the game is the inability to see what your items actually do, even when you visit the stats page. It's a weird omission, and really irritates me. Seems weird to have the "items I found" page, and only show a tiny little image of said item with no description of it, not even the name of the item.

Pachimari

I just played Rebirth on my PS4 and while it has definitely grown on me, isn't there any sense of progression? I know it's a roguelike and that I have to start over every time from scratch which I am fine with, but it would be cool after every death, if I was told which stage I got up to, or how many rooms I had cleared, or how many bosses I've beaten in that one run.

awp69

Instantly bought and enjoying it a bit but not sure if I would recommend it. I will probably post more detailed impressions later.

Just wanted to give a quick warning since I hyped the game before.

Thanks for the warning....after I already bought it. :(

Just kidding. I'll give it a shot. Never played the originals. Can't play now with my wife sleeping and definitely want the sound. We'll see. If it sucks, oh well, $3 won't kill me.

Oynox

Thanks for the warning....after I already bought it. :(

Just kidding. I'll give it a shot. Never played the originals. Can't play now with my wife sleeping and definitely want the sound. We'll see. If it sucks, oh well, $3 won't kill me.

It is not bad, maybe a little bland. But I guess only people who played the original flash games will feel a bit ripped off because the game was ripped compared to the original:

Though the graphics are nice, the art style has changed. That is a matter of taste of course but it is a bummer that equipped items are not visible and they removed like all combat animations. Now characters only bump into each other with every attack instead of striking differently with skills. Also little details like interesting or fun pieces of information behind items are removed, the world "screen" also feels quite static compared to graphically presented areas in the flash games.

However the deepest hit is that the game is cut on complexity and depth. Whereas the original offered three different classes, a comparably huge ability tree, four base attributes and three different difficulties, the game only offers one class, only a small amount of abilities, no base attributes and no choice of difficulty. Gameplay wise they removed the focus drain for skill use as well and replaced it with a simple round cooldown which definitely diminish depth in combat. Money seems redundant as well.

But I will continue to play it for now, finished the first world now. Maybe there are still some surprises to uncover. I think it just fell short of people's expectations at those who played the original games.

Jarsonot

I just played Rebirth on my PS4 and while it has definitely grown on me, isn't there any sense of progression? I know it's a roguelike and that I have to start over every time from scratch which I am fine with, but it would be cool after every death, if I was told which stage I got up to, or how many rooms I had cleared, or how many bosses I've beaten in that one run.

On the character select screen each character has a little post-it note that acts as a checklist of sorts. Every time you hit certain milestones different symbols will appear on your post-its. For a completionist your goal is to fill out those post-its!

And each time you reach a milestone with each character you unlock something new that may show up in subsequent runs. Adding to your possible item pool. Many awesome items are locked at first. So progression in a way can be measured by how many items you have unlocked, making future runs potentially easier as a bonus.

Okno, one of the traits of Isaac is that they DON'T tell you what the items do. You get a little text blurb of a hint, and after awhile you can make some good guesses, but unless you look them up you may be scratching your head over some for awhile. I recommend NOT looking them up at first, because for me part of the fun was figuring out just what the hell this new item does.

And don't forget the challenges! Some are pretty fun, and the bullshit ones are extremely satisfying to beat. All, of course, will unlock something in game.

There's a TON to unlock, including items, cards, trinkets, playable characters, and levels. And shop upgrades, and more challenges, and maybe I'm forgetting something. =) a lot of carrots.

theytookourjobz

Anybody game on an original Air? I'm looking to buy an iPad and I have a friend willing to sell me an old Air for a pretty good price. Is it worth paying the premium for the Air 2?

Anybody game on an original Air? I'm looking to buy an iPad and I have a friend willing to sell me an old Air for a pretty good price. Is it worth paying the premium for the Air 2?

Haven't used an air in a month but when I used my friends last month it was noticeable. Air 2 is minimum now tbh. Multitasking is very useful and works well.

Chuckpebble

Hey guys. Kind of a dumb question but... what is the best way to transfer game save data from one device to the other?

I wish every game had iCloud...

I apologize because you posted this a few pages back and I just saw this now, so I don't know if this is any help.

What you want to do is make UN-encrypted backups of both your iPhone and your iPad to your computer using iTunes. Preferably you'd do this with the game installed on both devices and a save data in place (not sure what games you're talking about) on your iPad.

Then you'll use a program called icopybot to browse to and extract the save data from your iPhone backup and then overwrite the save data in your iPad backup.

Finally, you'll have to do a system restore with this modified iPad backup.

pdk27

I still play on my Air 1. It's definitely getting long in the tooth especially compared to my iPhone 7. Even stuff like Mario Run can get choppy once in a while. If you want to play already released stuff mostly, you should still be fine but at this point I would probably go with an Air 2 minimum for future games.

Matt Frost

Completed Badland 2. Perfect way of using everthing they learned on their first one plus some new tricks to make the classic gameplay of the series even better. And with this, my backlog is completely wiped and I can start fresh this 2017... only some endless games remains... what a great feeling of acomplishment

Edit: Leap Day, Rodeo Stampede, Tentacles:EtM, Boson X, Reigns, Darkin, Trials of Glork, Card Thief and Downwell. Plus the two Badlands and Worm Run, Whale Trail, Dragon Hills, Slayin, Dont Grind and Redungeons hidden in a folder

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
blah, regret getting BoI

these controls are a nightmare.... space marshals is still the only virtual sticks i like to date

PittaGAF

While I'm not a fan of 3D first person things on touch devices...rumors say that in a few hours Skyrim for Nintendo Switch will be announced.

I wonder how long it would take to have Skyrim on iOS if exclusives weren't in place.

Which, if you think about it, it's crazy.
If they told me something li,e this 5 years ago, I would have LOLed.

While I'm not a fan of 3D first person things on touch devices...rumors say that in a few hours Skyrim for Nintendo Switch will be announced.

I wonder how long it would take to have Skyrim on iOS if exclusives weren't in place.

Which, if you think about it, it's crazy.
If they told me something li,e this 5 years ago, I would have LOLed.

I think Skyrim would only be playable on smartphone with MFI controllers

Pachimari

blah, regret getting BoI

these controls are a nightmare.... space marshals is still the only virtual sticks i like to date
I read the floaty controls is shit, which scares me off buying it. For now, I'm playing Rebirth on PS4.

More_Badass is there a reason why you're ignoring my pm's?
I don't think his got time to read all his messages. I also sent one some time ago, so that we could play together but haven't heard back. No hard feelings though! <3

Jarsonot

blah, regret getting BoI

Have you given it much time? All because at first I was thinking the same, but after playing for awhile I actually like them. Controller will always be better, but it's perfectly serviceable in my opinion.

Have you given it much time? All because at first I was thinking the same, but after playing for awhile I actually like them. Controller will always be better, but it's perfectly serviceable in my opinion.
Same. Once I enabled auto-fire and played in portrait, I felt the controls actually were pretty decent.

Need new games, going to buy Towaga...

I caved in a bought Towaga, I'm currently loving it a lot. The art style is gorgeous and the gameplay is pretty damn fun. Learning each monsters attack patterns is key.

Also got Heroes of Many, also liking it a lot. It's like Limbo underwater with real time tactics
MAnppwQ.gif

Matt Frost

I caved in a bought Towaga, I'm currently loving it a lot. The art style is gorgeous and the gameplay is pretty damn fun. Learning each monsters attack patterns is key.

Also got Heroes of Many, also liking it a lot. It's like Limbo underwater with real time tactics
MAnppwQ.gif

Bought it but my iPhone battery died right there... cant wait to get into it soon. Looking good thanks for the impressions. And Heroes of Many was great

So you don't even have to shoot in directions you choose if you go with auto-fire? Cause that sounds like taking some of the fun out of it.
No, auto-fire is more "hold fire", since it just lets you continuously fire in a set direction. You still need to aim. It's not auto-targeting

bonesquad

Speaking of mom, I'm not sure if this is new but I first saw this on Waypoint in a story Klepek posted yesterday: Hidden my game by mom (and part 2 that just released). An odd little "puzzle" game where you have to find where your mom hid your "DS" (or generic handheld equivalent). Most seem to be trial and error, but failing seems to be half the fun. Each puzzle is a quick 1-2 screen play, but they hooked me enough I spent my time this morning waiting for an appointment playing through these.(The games are free with ads.)

E0QGJXS.jpg

Matt Frost

Played Towaga, even completed the first ritual. Seems to have a story behind it and the gameplay is solid and more fun than I expected with lots of shooting (purifying beam more like it) with strategy and different enemies to learn their movements. Even have some events with special monsters.

Never played Ziggurat but after Towaga I am starting to think I made the wrong choice back then.

Very solid and fun so far. Wished it had some kind of store with upgrades or stuff like that, maybe in a future update.

Pachimari

To hell with it. I bought Binding of Isaac: Rebirth for my iPad. If nothing else, just to support these ports coming to iOS.

[edit] All of the Lifeline games are on sale at 99c each. Leo's Fortune is also half off.

awp69

That impressive looking Dynasty Warriors Unleashed is out in Early Access on Android. Going to download it on my Shield TV (says it's compatible but we'll see).

Will post some imps if it seems to live up to the "next Implosion" that More Badass thought it could be.

Edit: doesn't appear to have controller support so no go on Shield TV. Guess I'll wait for it on iOS.

Pachimari

Fuck, Binding of Isaac is so damn addicting.

Also, Mega Man got an update. Now the left dpad button is working all the time! ... ... ...

That impressive looking Dynasty Warriors Unleashed is out in Early Access on Android. Going to download it on my Shield TV (says it's compatible but we'll see).

Will post some imps if it seems to live up to the "next Implosion" that More Badass thought it could be.
Is it premium or F2P?

Ketch

Got monster hunter on iPad. Never played a monster hunter before. Damn it's so good. The touch controls are perfect. I don't understand how a virtual stick can be so good.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Managed to play a little of Isaac and it's great having it on my phone, but I cannot get a handle on the controls. There's so many times I've taken unnecessary damage because of the on screen joystick, I can't imagine how people are supposed to beat some of the later bosses using them. Seems built for real controllers. Annoying that it doesn't support iCade style controls as I have one of those 8bitdo zeroes begging to be used.

Matt Frost

Forgot how awesome Savant - Ascent was. And it has been updated with better controls and checkpoints. Much better than Towaga IMO.

... and Card Thief... you guys are going to love it...

After playing it for 10 hours, I think BoI is fantastic. I'm not really having any issues with the controls. It appears that the difference between the touch controls is analog. You can vary your run speed on 1, but you go max speed at all times on 2.

Just purchased Sonny. Enjoying it a lot. It's even more difficult than from what I remember playing from Sonny / Sonny 2.

The positives are obvious, so I'll mention the negatives:
- Battle sprites are no longer animated. They're just still pictures that move around, instead of having moving limbs.
- Equipment no longer changes what you look like.
- (minor spoiler?)
You have to wait a bit until you get to pick classes.

Oynox

Just purchased Sonny. Enjoying it a lot. It's even more difficult than from what I remember playing from Sonny / Sonny 2.

The positives are obvious, so I'll mention the negatives:
- (minor spoiler?)
You have to wait a bit until you get to pick classes.

Oh I guess I have to continue then. That was indeed a bad design choice then imo

Top Bottom