• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution

awp69

I think I read somewhere that it was needed but thats great news! Already finished the third chapter? Wow that is fast, you must really like To-Fu Fury then.

It was just the first three sets of levels (15) after "Push Comes to Shove". It unlocked the first two challenges on Challenge Island. If I press the third, it says "Keep playing the regular levels to unlock this challenge."

So I've currently finished four sets in Castle Dojo (20 levels) with two more level sets then it looks like there's are two other buildings.

So no too far in. Lots to go and curious how much crazier the levels get. Then I need to try to get all the goals. Some of those time and move limits are gonna be a bear to overcome.

And, yeah, Hero Emblems can be quite addictive!

PittaGAF

Guys, if you got Deathwatch and complete it, be absolutely sure to play at veteran at least 2 Acts (then you won't stop :) ).
It's like an almost different, more complete and awesome game.
Same difference between WHQ played at normal and hard.
Not because it's harder (it is, but you level up much faster and find WAY better loot, so it's balanced), but because aliens have now all sorts of abilities that are really game changer (nothing to do with the 2 abilities you find at normal).

Absolutely amazing TBS and great WH40K (and Alien, I might add, especially some missions) vibe.

Reposted from the Prune OT:

Saucycarpdog said:
After finishing it I can definitely say that it left an impression on me and had me thinking about the game's theme. Peter at PG might have oversold it a little bit but he wasn't wrong in giving it a perfect score. I might come back the game just for the amazing music.

So RymdResa is still in development for iPad. The Steam version is releasing next month; mobile version doesnt have a specific release date yet
4ZqrSED.jpg
There's also a unique iPhone game in development titled RymdResa: Bounty Hunter

Any suggestions for the August thread title?

Also I'm going to be on the road at the end of July, so next month's thread might be a day late. Depends on when I get home

This is a good read

http://www.develop-online.net/inter...ow-rodeo-games-stepped-up-to-triple-a/0209312

Rodeo on developing Deathwatch and launching a premium mobile game. Thought these last two were interesting

How do you convince mobile gamers to fork over $5 when there are so many free titles available?
---
Haha, good question! No idea. Quality? Promise of a great experience? It's such a weird subject.

Even the way you phrase your question with "fork over $5", like I'm handing over my life savings or something. A beer costs $5. A sandwich, not far off. Yet, I barely feel the touch of my card on the reader when paying for those.

What price would you place on a game that holds a metacritic of 86% and lasts for well over 15 hours? We humans tend to view entertainment purchases differently. Will I hate myself for forking over my hard-earned cash for this potentially pleasurable experience? Will that turn my free time good or bad?
How has the response to the game been so far?
---
It's our best reviewed title so far. We're not particularly allowed to share sale figures. However, I'm pretty sure I can say it's been successful

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
SNK fighters on sale for a buck a piece

KOF i 2012 seems to control well - anyone got thoughts on a favorite?

awp69

Can a mobile game look good as a triple A console game?

http://youtu.be/Ugx3BuURDvk

:)

Yep.

I did find one thing annoying. I acquired a medic for the first time and was floored when I saw he can't even heal anyone until you unlock the ability for a massive 8000 XP (unless you have a healing pack equipped, which any soldier can do).

I've been pretty much sticking to the same five guys over and over since the level ones get their asses kicked pretty good if you don't do a human shield around them. And have a good mix already so figured I might as well keep leveling up and/or saving XP for abilities.

But I was excited when I saw the medic class only to be like WTF use are they? Saving 8000 XP is not an easy task.

Love the game, but there are some odd difficulty spikes. The last stage on Act 3 destroyed me, leaving just two survivors after being way out numbered. Then the first mission in Act 4 was, not easy, but definitely not as hard as 3-4.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wish deathwatch was a bit faster. I'm an impatient bugger. Great game otherwise.

PittaGAF

AirPlay? How do you make it 16:9?

It does automatically with an iPhone 6.
It's 4:3 with iPad tough.

I was alone at home fumbling with 2 devices so I couldn't properly film more, but it's pretty incredible on TV.
I played a whole mission, I just positioned the camera before enemy turn them enjoyed the cinematic experience.
The metals, the glows, the volumetric fog...you can easily mistake the game for a PC/console recent one.
I wonder what they can do with this engine in 5 years.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It does automatically with an iPhone 6.
It's 4:3 with iPad tough.

I was alone at home fumbling with 2 devices so I couldn't properly film more, but it's pretty incredible on TV.
I played a whole mission, I just positioned the camera before enemy turn them enjoyed the cinematic experience.
The metals, the glows, the volumetric fog...you can easily mistake the game for a PC/console recent one.
I wonder what they can do with this engine in 5 years.

There is going be be some really nice looking stuff coming out over the next couple of years between developers having access to tools like Unity and starting to target Metal and up exclusively.

There is going be be some really nice looking stuff coming out over the next couple of years between developers having access to tools like Unity and starting to target Metal and up exclusively.
Eisenhorn, Submerged, Static Sky, etc

Yup, really good looking mobile games in development

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
Hey guys, been playing lifeline and prune at the moment and I am totally hooked on lifeline. I think I am approaching the end of the story and I am super excited at how things are going to resolve or not :D

Also great game to recommend to non gamers/relatives, really great experience so far with a cool build up story wise!

heringer

Just discovered that the Kingturn series from Mangobile got a big overhaul. Interface and visuals are improved. Though the visuals are still rough, they are closer to Tactics Maiden now. The update came out a few months ago, but I wasn't aware.

If you enjoy SRPG's, I highly recommend the series, specially Tactics Maiden, which is the best original SRPG for iOS. Yes, in my opinion even better than more popular games like Deathwatch (which is also great, don't get me wrong). Tactics Maiden is just a different beast, with brilliant AI (one of the few strategy games that can make me feel like I'm playing against a human) and superb tactical depth and well implemented RPG elements with a bunch of different classes, skills, equipment, etc.

Most people don't give the game a chance because of the rough graphics, but I think the game is the Swordigo of SRPG's.

Warhammer: Arcane Magic is out on iOS
http://t.co/0ynHJYWWtO

Itunes Link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id923284769

I'm a little worried about that one to be honest. I'm not opposed to paying $9.99 for an iOS game but if I did I would want to it to a fairly complete experience and the wording on the product description along with some of the snippets of early impressions I am hearing is that that game is a little brutal with its level of in app purchases. I do love the Warhammer world so I hope that I am mistaken with this. If anyone took the plunge and has any firsthand impressions of Arcane Magic I would love to hear them.

am_dragon

After playing The Long Siege for a bit I really enjoy the game. As a fan of twitch games I like the games speed, it kind of reminds me of Piyo Blocks 2, a game I love due to that frantic pace it can reach. In The Long Siege you do have to keep moving tiles to stay alive. The upgrades seem decent, and there is consistent progression.

I wouldn't recommend the game though due to excessive battery use. I have an iPhone 6 and a little over an hour of play took my battery from 92% to the mid 40's. I check usage to make sure, and The Long Siege was listed at over 40% battery usage. Until that's fixed it isn't getting played, I've already uninstalled it. Wonder if I can get a refund...

Does anyone know if Deathwatch is a battery hog? My 2 primary annoyances with mobile games are excessive battery usage, and stopping my music in favor of game music.

Matt Frost

This is a good read

http://www.develop-online.net/inter...ow-rodeo-games-stepped-up-to-triple-a/0209312

Rodeo on developing Deathwatch and launching a premium mobile game. Thought these last two were interesting

He gave himself away when he said "fork over 5$ for a mobile game". LOL. Paid 700$ for an iPhone then can't pay for a game... oh well... cause of this the AppStore is where it is right now... I will just leave it like that xD

It was just the first three sets of levels (15) after "Push Comes to Shove". It unlocked the first two challenges on Challenge Island. If I press the third, it says "Keep playing the regular levels to unlock this challenge."

So I've currently finished four sets in Castle Dojo (20 levels) with two more level sets then it looks like there's are two other buildings.

So no too far in. Lots to go and curious how much crazier the levels get. Then I need to try to get all the goals. Some of those time and move limits are gonna be a bear to overcome.

And, yeah, Hero Emblems can be quite addictive!

Yeah, when I need to complete all tasks on a level before moving on it means is a great one. I just need to find the time to play it and pull myself apart from Boson X, Alto's Adventure, Hero Emblems and the mighty awesome and one of the very best arcade high scoring games on the AppStore... Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, damn is good. I also agree with Carten here (agreeing with a TA review, heresy! :O xD)

http://toucharcade.com/2015/07/28/pac-man-championship-edition-dx-review/

Damn this game is great! Best 5$ I spent this month!

After playing The Long Siege for a bit I really enjoy the game. As a fan of twitch games I like the games speed, it kind of reminds me of Piyo Blocks 2, a game I love due to that frantic pace it can reach. In The Long Siege you do have to keep moving tiles to stay alive. The upgrades seem decent, and there is consistent progression.

I wouldn't recommend the game though due to excessive battery use. I have an iPhone 6 and a little over an hour of play took my battery from 92% to the mid 40's. I check usage to make sure, and The Long Siege was listed at over 40% battery usage. Until that's fixed it isn't getting played, I've already uninstalled it. Wonder if I can get a refund...

Does anyone know if Deathwatch is a battery hog? My 2 primary annoyances with mobile games are excessive battery usage, and stopping my music in favor of game music.
Get an iPad, best way to experience iOS gaming.

awp69

I also agree with Carten here (agreeing with a TA review, heresy! :O xD)

Speaking of agreeing with TA reviews, I was happy to see Impulse GP get a 4.5/5 from them (as opposed to the lackluster 6/10 on PG). It really is a great futuristic racer with a boost system that gives the game more intense pressure having to use the mechanic just right if you want to win.

I was disgusted to read that only around 400 of the game's almost 12,000 installs were paid for. F'n pirates.

http://www.climbingmountappstore.com/2015/07/first-week-of-impulse-gp-climbing-mount.html

am_dragon

Get an iPad, best way to experience iOS gaming.

While I've following iOS gaming since the first iOS thread, and I have an older iPad, at this point I'm really just looking for those games that I'll continue to go back to time and again. Games that work well on the phone. I'm full up on devices, and mobile gaming systems so not really in the market for an iPad.

As of right now those games are:
Starbase Orion
Minitron, League of Evil 2, Mos Speedrun, Super Crate Box, and now Sword of Xolan
Ascension, and few few other card games
A couple of the Cave Shooters Espgaluda II, Dodonpatchi...
Sword of Fargoal and a couple other rouge likes
GeoDefense, GeoDefense Swarm
Piyo Blocks 2 even though it breaks my sound rule.
and the one F2P game I indulge in that shall remain nameless.

awp69

The more I read from Chris Carter the worse I feel about him as a reviewer. There's been those unnecessary, and frankly unprofessional, rants against a developer in a review and even if I agree with his 4.5/5 score for To-Fu Fury, it seems pretty evident he didn't play the game for long. He talks about a "zen like" experience and having to plan your route out as obstacles change. But while contrasting it with other ninja games, including combat, he doesn't even acknowledge that there are indeed enemies to combat even approaching the end of the first 1/3 of the game. There's even a challenging and hectic boss battle that is quite the opposite of zen. Whatever. He has little credibility with me.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Speaking of agreeing with TA reviews, I was happy to see Impulse GP get a 4.5/5 from them (as opposed to the lackluster 6/10 on PG). It really is a great futuristic racer with a boost system that gives the game more intense pressure having to use the mechanic just right if you want to win.

I was disgusted to read that only around 400 of the game's almost 12,000 installs were paid for. F'n pirates.

http://www.climbingmountappstore.com/2015/07/first-week-of-impulse-gp-climbing-mount.html

Hmmm. Not sure that bodes well for Race the Sun which presumably will release as a paid game when it become available tomorrow.

Hmmm. Not sure that bodes well for Race the Sun which presumably will release as a paid game when it become available tomorrow.
Dev said it'll be $4.99

And well, that level of piracy is kind of standard. A while back in the Indie Dev thread, there was a discussion on PC piracy, and a comparison was made to mobile F2P, because that's the ratio of paid-to-pirated you see on PC

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Dev said it'll be $4.99

Hopefully they can manage an Apple feature for their sake, then.

And well, that level of piracy is kind of standard. A while back in the Indie Dev thread, there was a discussion on PC piracy, and a comparison was made to mobile F2P, because that's the ratio of paid-to-pirated you see on PC

Yep. Part of the reason why our stuff is F2P (not that we are free from piracy there either).

I was commenting more on what the apparent actual market for that sort of game is rather than being surprised by the piracy level.

Hopefully they can manage an Apple feature for their sake, then.
I don't see why it wouldn't, being a port of a fairly popular and acclaimed PC game

But man, sometimes I regret not taking that job as an App Store Editor. Would have loved to have some input in the Editor's Choices and lists.

awp69

I don't see why it wouldn't, being a port of a fairly popular and acclaimed PC game

But man, sometimes I regret not taking that job as an App Store Editor. Would have loved to have some input in the Editor's Choices and lists.

I'm about 99% sure it will be featured.

Personally, I think it's a good but not amazing game. Still, hope it does well. And it is probably a game that will be better on mobile....being in a genre that was pretty much invented on mobile.

And, wow, I didn't know you were offered a job as an App Store Editor. Pretty cool!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

But then you'd have been required to live in a bunker, deep underground, cut off from communicating with the rest of the world. People might have an inkling you exist, but could never be sure.

Looks fantastic! I knew Fishlabs went under. So I guess some of them were able to move on to start another development group?
Yeah, at least the two founders of Fishlabs started Rockfish, not sure how many of the other devs from Fishlabs are also part of it

Top Bottom