• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here

sheaaaa

Yeah IAP crumbled and crippled the AppStore. I share your feeling, but I didnt abandon it... sometimes a great premium game comes out. But if you want to leave, go ahead. Probably you have other platforms to play games. Just keep looking at this thread and waiting for a game you like

Yeah, this is what I do. While I'm disappointed at the way things have turned out on the App Store, I still keep one eye on it and try out the stuff that looks like it deserves some money.

It's hard to parse what does deserve some money though. I don't want to be disparaging of an entire community, but a lot of iOS games criticism seems to boil down to "it's great". I find it genuinely difficult to separate between what's genuinely good, compared to the sea of great games on all the other platforms, and what's getting hyped simply because it fills a niche on the platform, for example. I've been burnt a lot and even at a few dollars, it adds up.

That said, I would never just abandon the platform. Not when there's stuff like The Room's sequels, Ridiculous Fishing, Imbroglio, Helix, Card Crawl and 80 Days (though this has since been ported) that exist on iOS.

Pachimari

Door Kickers and Secret of Mana are on sale now.

[edit] damn, Secret of Mana is only for iPhone. Oh well, I'll buy it so I'll have it for when I get my iPhone 6 repaired or for when I'm buying a new phone.

Matt Frost

Yeah, this is what I do. While I'm disappointed at the way things have turned out on the App Store, I still keep one eye on it and try out the stuff that looks like it deserves some money.

It's hard to parse what does deserve some money though. I don't want to be disparaging of an entire community, but a lot of iOS games criticism seems to boil down to "it's great". I find it genuinely difficult to separate between what's genuinely good, compared to the sea of great games on all the other platforms, and what's getting hyped simply because it fills a niche on the platform, for example. I've been burnt a lot and even at a few dollars, it adds up.

That said, I would never just abandon the platform. Not when there's stuff like The Room's sequels, Ridiculous Fishing, Imbroglio, Helix, Card Crawl and 80 Days (though this has since been ported) that exist on iOS.

I understand you completely and I feel the same about just everything you posted. I do the same.

heringer

What is the best JRPG available on iOS? I want to play a good one, but since they're all like $15 I don't wanna just buy em to see if they're good you know.

Unless you consider FFT a JRPG, I feel FFVI is still the best available on iOS, even with the less than flattering graphics.

If you want an original iOS JRPG, I highly recommend Chaos Rings 3.

Jamesways

Another update out today for Real Racing 3.

4 new cars, 4 new career series, and 3 new time limited challenge series/gauntlet.

o Ferrari FXX K
o Lotus Exige S 360 Cup
o Lotus Type 125
o Lotus 3-Eleven

The support this has gotten has been great, although some of the cars and challenge series are real gold/cash sinks to get the new cars. The previous LeMan series was great, love the cars, but completely wiped out my stash of resources for 2 GTE cars.

Playdead's Inside is getting amazing reviews. It's coming to Xbox tomorrow, PC next week, and I bet it'll be coming to mobile in the future just like Limbo did

awp69

Playdead's Inside is getting amazing reviews. It's coming to Xbox tomorrow, PC next week, and I bet it'll be coming to mobile in the future just like Limbo did

Yeah, think I'm gonna grab the Xbox One version, especially since it was just officially announced that we're getting Banner Saga 2 as one of our Games with Gold freebies on Friday!

Oynox

First chapter free, €6.99 for the entire movie, €9.99 for this + future content + extra character packs.

sounds like a steal compared to the 69,99 it costs on consoles for the whole package. good that i just ordered a stratus controller, now I am even happier with my decision.

killercow

sounds like a steal compared to the 69,99 it costs on consoles for the whole package. good that i just ordered a stratus controller, now I am even happier with my decision.

While it does support MFi controllers, the game is nowhere near the level of polish and it doesn't feature the same amount of content. It's still fun but it's definitely not the same game.

For some reason I never looked into Door Kickers, on sale right now.

Is it good?
Absolutely fantastic. $0.99 is such an insane steal that it should be illegal :p

A ton of content, between the myriad single missions, multiple themed campaigns, mission generator, and unit/squad upgrades and unlockable gear. Plus cross-saves if you're on PC, so you can play on PC and then continue playing on iPad

From a few years back (PC release)
So you might be thinking "Why do I need this game if I already have Frozen Synapse?". Now Door Kickers was one of the first PC games I bought, and while Frozen Synapse may be king in terms of multiplayer, I feel like Door Kickers is superior in other aspects. I enjoy the realistic SWAT setting and aesthetic far more than FS's sci-fi style. Frozen Synapse focuses on warfare; Door Kickers focuses on controlled planning and precise team work and meticulous assaults.

Go in loud or stealthy, rescue hostages, arrest bad guys, defuse bombs. There's a ton of content, modding, a level editor, a leveling-up system for your squad, and special challenges for each mission The controls are more intuitive than Frozen Synapse, and the emphasis is on efficiency. Unlike Rainbow Six, where you could use your FPS skills in a crutch, here if you don't plan well, if you forget to check your corners, if you don't have a guy covering your back while he picks a lock, you will pay for it.

Each level, you need to learn the best strategy and tools to use to succeed and you get better scores for faster times, not losing a trooper, etc. I find it all very satisfying. Split your team in two groups, stack up on doors, peer in with your snake cam. Enemy positions are randomized, they move throughout the level, and can be alerted by sounds. Coordinate simultaneous breaches with flashbangs or have your breacher blast through a locked door for a loud entrance.

PittaGAF

Thanks.

You almost sold it to me (it's not the price, the game was out of my radar till now...but I don't need another game for sure) but....

The thing is...I never really liked Frozen Synapse.
I feel like an idiot playing it, and generally I don't like that much the look (while door kickers looks great).
I played it halfway the campaign and it's one of the rare games I own I didn't complete.
Never liked the mp too.
I think it has to do with the synchronous planning and then the play and watch you die thing.

I know it might seems stupid, but back in the days I really liked that old game where you controlled airplanes to the right airports...and I feel door kickers controls the same.

Thanks.

You almost sold it to me (it's not the price, the game was out of my radar till now...but I don't need another game for sure) but....

The thing is...I never really liked Frozen Synapse.
I feel like an idiot playing it, and generally I don't like that much the look (while door kickers looks great).
I played it halfway the campaign and it's one of the rare games I own I didn't complete.
Never liked the mp too.
I think it has to do with the synchronous planning and then the play and watch you die thing.

I know it might seems stupid, but back in the days I really liked that old game where you controlled airplanes to the right airports...and I feel door kickers controls the same.
Door Kickers is only like FS in the sense of tactically controlling a squad. It's real time, not turn-based; you can control each unit in real time, and pause at any time to adjust their movement and tactics.

It's not synchronous (game is 100% single player) and not play-then-watch (you can change and adapt your plans any time)

Oynox

Regarding Rodeo Stampede, I just figured out how to unlock secret animals, it is even advised ingame:

There a secret tasks. These secret tasks come in form of short messages between runs and are not directly formulated as tasks. So far I only recon three tasks:

Manage to keep on a buffalo for 30 bucks; unlocks Diabuffalo
Ride 7 different animals in a row; unlocks Trojan Zebra
Eat 30 animals as lion; unlocks Le'lon Chef

Did you manage to see any other tasks?

Oynox

My Stratus Controller is already supposed to arrive tomorrow. I already searched my Game Library for MFi games and I also know that afterpad has a great list of MFi enabled games, but please, give me your personal favorites!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My Stratus Controller is already supposed to arrive tomorrow. I already searched my Game Library for MFi games and I also know that afterpad has a great list of MFi enabled games, but please, give me your personal favorites!

I was between this controller and an iPega-9023. I went with the iPega since I also do a lot of emulation on an Nvidia Shield. Hopefully it works just as well on my iPhone!

heringer

How does Secret of Mana hold up on iOS 9? It's on sale for iPhone.

It's good. At least I'm enjoying it (bought yesterday). The controls aren't bad at all. I love little conveniences like changing weapon without going into a menu (like in the original).

The framerate is lower than the original though, so if 2D games in 30 fps bother you...

killercow

I was between this controller and an iPega-9023. I went with the iPega since I also do a lot of emulation on an Nvidia Shield. Hopefully it works just as well on my iPhone!

Is the iPega MFi compatible? Last I read it only supported iCade games so sadly the list will be pretty limited.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is the iPega MFi compatible? Last I read it only supported iCade games so sadly the list will be pretty limited.

Oh - I just assumed bluetooth controllers worked the same. Guess I'm wrong! In that case, I'll just stick to touch screen for iOS. Given that most games are designed for that, it's not the end of the world. But trying to play N64 games with touch screen controls is a nightmare...That took precedence over iOS games.

Pachimari

Galaxy on Fire 3 seems to be launching soon. It's out on the Netherlands app store.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is also now available for free in the American app store. Also out in Europe.

The English version of Pocket Arcade Story is also out on the app store.

Battle Cars is also out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Galaxy on Fire 3 seems to be launching soon. It's out on the Netherlands app store.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius is also now available for free in the American app store.

The English version of Pocket Arcade Story is also out on the app store.

Battle Cars is also out.

That FF game looks a lot like Brave Frontier? Game was fun for a while, but the power creep was crazy later on...

Pachimari

That FF game looks a lot like Brave Frontier? Game was fun for a while, but the power creep was crazy later on...
Yes, it's made by the same developers.

Do anyone wanna play Battle Cars together online? I think it could be a lot of fun if we actually get to play against each other. And this should be like Micro Machines with 10 different levels.

awp69

Debating on creating an NL account for GoF 3. Wish it had been one of the usual countries (NZ, AU, CA).

Also wondering what the F2P model is.

Reading the TA thread, sounds like Manicore pretty much ruined everything good about the first two. No open world/free roam. Just in and out missions with typical F2P trappings.

Very sad that it came to this.

Any thoughts on Pocket Arcade Story? I've been itching for a Kairosoft game for a while now, but just haven't pulled the trigger on any of them. This sounds like it's just up my alley in terms of theme.

Debating on creating an NL account for GoF 3. Wish it had been one of the usual countries (NZ, AU, CA).

Also wondering what the F2P model is.

Reading the TA thread, sounds like Manicore pretty much ruined everything good about the first two. No open world/free roam. Just in and out missions with typical F2P trappings.

Very sad that it came to this.
I believe it's a completely different dev team. So it's kind of like a "sequel in name only". The original GoF team is working on Everspace.

awp69

Debating on Cloud Chasers which is on sale for $.99.

For those who have played it, how much is it a survival game vs. the more action oriented portions?

I really have a difficult time getting into survival games. Got Don't Starve but have barely touched it. Crashlands was about the most I got into a "survival" type game but, of course, it was pretty well on the arcade side of the spectrum.

Top Bottom