• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here

Matt Frost

To anyone who is playing Rodeo Stampede, you might want to look at your data consumption... I never watched an ad and played this very casually (5-10 min per day and not every day) yet this app consumed 300mb off my 2gb montly plan... wondering what for...

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
To anyone who is playing Rodeo Stampede, you might want to look at your data consumption... I never watched an ad and played this very casually (5-10 min per day and not every day) yet this app consumed 300mb off my 2gb montly plan... wondering what for...

I haven't played it yet but if the data is climbing up every play it is probably caching ads in the background.

Otherwise, it might have downloaded additional assets after installing, so it could be a one off. Some of our bigger games are starting to do that, keeping under the 100MB limit to allow 3G initial installation and then pulling in the additional assets on boot.

I saw that Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 had a price to $3.
Does that play well on an iPad Mini sized device?

I've been wanting a good builder (city/roller coaster/whatever) game that isn't full of IAPs and timers, and since this is a port of a PC game I thought it might be solid.

nikos

So many good releases today!

If anyone is on CSR2, I created a crew named NeoGAF, which is searchable. Haven't played CSR in years, so this is pretty refreshing, yet familiar, so far.

dock

screen322x572.jpeg

Spent quite a while playing Pocket Arcade Story this morning! I'm pretty bad at it, but my arcade is level 1 now. (does anyone know how to use the 'Move' tool? I just unlocked it, but can't find the option to move machines). So far it feels very similar to Game Dev Story, but I didn't have any room for expansion until now, so maybe it'll change when I have a lot of machines.

edit: oh, 'move' is one of the things I can do from the build menu, and I have to pay every time I move things around. Fair enough :)

killercow

Spent quite a while playing Pocket Arcade Story this morning! I'm pretty bad at it, but my arcade is level 1 now. (does anyone know how to use the 'Move' tool? I just unlocked it, but can't find the option to move machines). So far it feels very similar to Game Dev Story, but I didn't have any room for expansion until now, so maybe it'll change when I have a lot of machines.

edit: oh, 'move' is one of the things I can do from the build menu, and I have to pay every time I move things around. Fair enough :)

Just started it as well and it feels good to be playing a Kairosoft game again, it's been a while. It's definitely slow at the start but it's good. May pick up that Train Station game as well.

RatCupcake

Neo Member
screen322x572.jpeg

Thanks for reminding me to buy this! :)

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
I haven't played it yet but if the data is climbing up every play it is probably caching ads in the background.

Otherwise, it might have downloaded additional assets after installing, so it could be a one off. Some of our bigger games are starting to do that, keeping under the 100MB limit to allow 3G initial installation and then pulling in the additional assets on boot.
Yeah.....games shouldn't do that, or at least should warn people about it. Pulling in 300Mb of stuff for someone limited to 2gb of data monthly is pretty hefty. Most people would choose not to waste expensive data on that.

Loving Neo Turf Masters. One quick question though, how do you read the greens? Trying to guess what the arrows mean but not seeing anything consistent from trial and error.

Edit: think I've figured it out

Oynox

Yay, my Stratus arrived. But I am baffled that some people were willing to pay 60 bucks for that little piece of plastic. I really dig the design and the size, it is ultra portable, but the quality does not justify 60 bucks, especially those sticks do not feel good at all. Glad I only payed 23€ for it, that way it will serve well as travel controller.

So, I closed Rodeo Stampede, cleared my data stats and reran it. 4 minutes on screen, watched 2 ads (double run coins and double zoo tickets) and it consumed a whopping 45 MB.

I closed the app, cleared my data stats and reran it. 4 minutes on screen, watched 0 ads, and it consumed 30 MB...

I don't think that this will last long on my phone.

ups, 1GB says my phone.

Yay, my Stratus arrived. But I am baffled that some people were willing to pay 60 bucks for that little piece of plastic. I really dig the design and the size, it is ultra portable, but the quality does not justify 60 bucks, especially those sticks do not feel good at all. Glad I only payed 23€ for it, that way it will serve well as travel controller.

Yeah some of the early controllers were really bad. The newer ones like the Nimbus are night and day.

Matt Frost

R1an, very curious about what you have to say about this?

As long as yours apps tell if they are downloading additional assets, thats ok... the problem is when they do it behind your back...

So, I closed Rodeo Stampede, cleared my data stats and reran it. 4 minutes on screen, watched 2 ads (double run coins and double zoo tickets) and it consumed a whopping 45 MB.

I closed the app, cleared my data stats and reran it. 4 minutes on screen, watched 0 ads, and it consumed 30 MB...

I don't think that this will last long on my phone.

Thanks for the heads-up; it's used 300 MB in 1 hour of screen time for me. I'm going to track its usage without watching any ads..

Yeah, is think this is very bad. I definitely dont like this and will check my data usage more often from now on. Also, you can disable the app from connecting to internet in settings, data. I did it, Rodeo Stampede runs normally and doesn't steal more usage.

ups, 1GB says my phone.

Wow, that is a lot

dock

Playing more Pocket Arcade Story.

There's something quite weird about the fact that progress is tied heavily on fighting game tournaments. That mechanic feels like it was reskinned from race horses or boxers or something in another Kairosoft game. I've never played those games, but it feels odd. Maybe Japanese arcades really do revolve around a few star players that compete in tournaments.

SummitAve

Banned
I saw that Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 had a price to $3.
Does that play well on an iPad Mini sized device?

I've been wanting a good builder (city/roller coaster/whatever) game that isn't full of IAPs and timers, and since this is a port of a PC game I thought it might be solid.

I had lots of trouble with entrances/exits and making paths hook up to them. Wasn't able to get far enough into to try making my own coasters or anything. I felt like I was pixel hunting with my taps just in order to place them properly, and that was just too cumbersome for me to bother with as it sucked battery fast.

Someone on reddit posted their quick review of GoF 3, and it doesn't look good.

Link to /r/iosgaming
Should be noted that GoF 3 is not from the same team as the first two games. The original Fishlabs was acquired by Koch Media and became Deep Silver FISHLABS.

The co-founders of Fishlabs left and formed their own studio Rockfish, along with most of the team that worked on Galaxy on Fire 1/2, and are working on Everspace for PC and console.

Manticore is essentially only a sequel in name only

awp69

Played the first few levels of Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens and am very impressed. So far think it may be the best Lego game since the original SW saga.

I'm going in for the Season Pass ($9.99) figuring the extra $2 is nothing. And even though the console editions have more content, I'm more likely to finish it on mobile and also don't want to fork out $60.

Looks great graphically, lovely sense of humor as always and some nice little new gameplay elements, particularly like the cover system for shooting.

Matt Frost

My final update on Rodeo Stampede's data issue, it looks like opening the app after it's been completely closed uses ~30 MB of data. Each round you play uses ~5 MB of data. I can't be bothered to crudely determine how much each ad uses. gg no re

Sounds bad, but try to disable the data consuming in Settings and prevent it from using more data

DagsJT

Just got an iPad Air 2 today after being on Android for a good few years, so many games I need to research on iOS!

RustyO

Just got an iPad Air 2 today after being on Android for a good few years, so many games I need to research on iOS!

Best starting point is to work back through these monthly threads, and check out the excellent first posts by More_Badass for all the hot / awesome titles each month.

Is this the first time we had two high profile indie ports in the same month? Human Resource Machine opened the month, and Necrodancer closed it out

Top Bottom