• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one

killercow

Does anyone know if the latest Lode Runner update adds microtransactions or ads? It is titled version 1.0.0 and the update button has a small + sign just like "get" apps with IAP.

The small plus sign just means that it's universal, I.E optimized for iPhones and iPads.

HotHamBoy

Onirim is currently free

Don't update Pinball Arcade. Pinballarcadefans.com is reporting that a bunch of tables are crashing with this new update.

Specifically these tables:

Bride of pinbot
Centigrade 37
Eldorodo EM
Fireball
Flight 2000
Going nuts

If you can live without them until the next update I think it's well worth the update because the updated tables are great. Cirqus Voltaire and Creature From the Black Lagoon have a whole new lease on life.

bonesquad

I'm not really a Warhammer fan (nothing against WH), but Regicide is on sale for $1 so I figured why not. The game is a cool, weird chess-TBS hybrid. The graphics aren't great, I can't tell the pieces apart without turning on the chess overlay, but I've liked what I played so far. The emphasis seems to be on TBS, but you can certainly move around the chess board to capture pieces the old fashion way as well.

awp69

I'm not really a Warhammer fan (nothing against WH), but Regicide is on sale for $1 so I figured why not. The game is a cool, weird chess-TBS hybrid. The graphics aren't great, I can't tell the pieces apart without turning on the chess overlay, but I've liked what I played so far. The emphasis seems to be on TBS, but you can certainly move around the chess board to capture pieces the old fashion way as well.

I saw that and was curious but don't play chess. Do you have to know how to play chess? Or is it sort of just turn based strategy with a chess board playing field?

I saw that and was curious but don't play chess. Do you have to know how to play chess? Or is it sort of just turn based strategy with a chess board playing field?
It's takes the chess formula and adds special abilities and weapons. There's a classic Chess mode, but the main game is turn-based strategy game that's more chess-inspired than playing exactly like chess

It teaches you what you need to know to play

bonesquad

As More_Badass said, it's more the later. While you don't need to know chess strategies, it helps if you at least know the rules. Basically meaning you know how the pieces move. As long as you know that (which if you don't takes a 5 minute google search to learn), you're fine and can learn the rest as you play. I'm not a chess expert, or even an average player, and in my limited time so far with the game I haven't felt like it would help if I was.

The game's different, but I've enjoyed what I've played.

awp69

It's takes the chess formula and adds special abilities and weapons. There's a classic Chess mode, but the main game is turn-based strategy game that's more chess-inspired than playing exactly like chess

It teaches you what you need to know to play

As More_Badass said, it's more the later. While you don't need to know chess strategies, it helps if you at least know the rules. Basically meaning you know how the pieces move. As long as you know that (which if you don't takes a 5 minute google search to learn), you're fine and can learn the rest as you play. I'm not a chess expert, or even an average player, and in my limited time so far with the game I haven't felt like it would help if I was.

The game's different, but I've enjoyed what I've played.

Thanks, guys. I'll probably pick it up.

On a side note, this may be a permanent price drop. On Google Play, sales are supposed to be marked with the length of time remaining and it isn't.

Yankai's Triangle dev has a new game out: Yankai's Peak
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1139603153
1.png
4.png

Edit: okay, this is mobile's Snakebird

haveheart

Banned
I just saw that Transistor is in the AppStore. I have yet to play it (I know, shame on me). Is it a good idea to do this on the iPhone or is PS4 the way to go?

I've played through card thief and I really liked it. I can't wait for the new contents they announced. So I'm looking for another game now.

Matt Frost

I just saw that Transistor is in the AppStore. I have yet to play it (I know, shame on me). Is it a good idea to do this on the iPhone or is PS4 the way to go?

I've played through card thief and I really liked it. I can't wait for the new contents they announced. So I'm looking for another game now.

I finished it on my iPhone. Touch controls are spot on in this one, as the game. Or you can get After the End: Forsaken Destiny, a Monument Valley-inspired puzzler, or Gunbrick if you are looking for a clever platformer.

Probably because it's not licensed from Tozai who own the IP. It's got a great look to it though, I like it better than the look Tozai is going for with Lode Runner Legacy on PC.
I need to correct myself, I noticed in the 1.0.0 update release notes that Nexon claims their Lode Runner 1 is officially licensed from Tozai. Tozai's web site and social media are silent on this.

HotHamBoy

Majestia (Free)

kbp_majestia_banner.jpg

02.jpg

majestia-00.jpeg

033.jpg

Majestia72575.jpg

This is a turn-based strategy/card hybrid featuring figures from various mythologies and world history. I was attracted to this game by its cool aesthetic but had low expectations. Happily, those expectations have been exceeded by a good margin.

Game is very good, especially for F2P. The actual gameplay is a pretty unique approach to the light-strategy/card game hybrid. There are timers for acquiring and training new cards and the like but no energy timers or anything, you can play to your heart's content like most CCGs. Game starts you off with all you need to get going and running through the challenges will net you a bunch of new cards.

New Heroes can be acquired through several means but the main two, after exhausting the challenge levels, is through a chest purchased with premium currency, which gives a random hero, or through a selection of three that refreshes every 12 hours and is obtained through the standard currency. Both currencies are earned through play as victory prizes and achievement unlocks. You can use the premium currency to reduce the wait for the Hero refresh or you can use the "Soul Timer" which is an amount of time that automatically builds that can be spent to reduce any wait timer as you see fit.

Any new heroes and tactical cards you acquire can be used instantly, btw, if that's not clear. The selection and leveling up process is what is on a timer.

All in all, given how many cards and heroes I have acquired after a couple days of play, I feel like I have plenty of deck-building options already and have not felt the need to spend any money at all. There is a good amount of depth here while also still feeling breezy.

Also, Abraham Lincoln is a warrior in this game, as is Dracula. Live the dream.

headerimage0.jpg

awp69

Anyone else having problems downloading stuff from the App Store? Nothing new will download and when I try to redownload something, it gives me the message that I already purchased it and it will now download again free of charge.

But then it goes back to the little cloud download icon and never downloads. I've tried restarting my phone, signing in and out of the App Store and signing in and out of iCloud. Same issue all day.

awp69

I just downloaded that Majestia game with no issues from the (Canadian) App Store.

Yeah, I'm in the US. Not sure if that makes a difference. I have been having some weird issues lately so might be my iPhone.

Can't access the cellular data toggles (except for FaceTime and Wallet). Have sporadic issues where I get that little swirl and get the lock screen. Storage goes up and down at odd rates.

Tried updating the OS hoping that would resolve things but it just gives me an error upon updating (and I've also tried to update through iTunes).

Today was the first time I've had problems with the App Store though.

May have to see if it will let me do a full backup and do a full reset of the phone.

awp69

Hmm, try doing a hard reset first (hold down the power and home buttons until your iPhone restarts and you see the Apple logo).

That didn't work either. Reset the phone and restoring now via iCloud. Odd thing is that under cellular data I still don't have access to anything other than FaceTime and Wallet.

Not sure when that happened but it's annoying because I have unlimited data and would like to be able to access the App Store, in particular (Safari, Facebook, etc. already work without the toggles).

Going to try to update the OS again after it restores. Was surprised it didn't prompt me to do so when I was going through the setup.

Having issues with my computer so the June thread is either going to be a few days late and/or kind of barebones compared to past threads since I'll need to put it together on my iPad

Having issues with my computer so the June thread is either going to be a few days late and/or kind of barebones compared to past threads since I'll need to put together on my iPad
That's fine, I almost forgot tomorrow is June anyways. May went really fast!

iOS Gaming June 2017 | A drought of time, not games
iOS Gaming June 3017 | Death by a thousand $0.99 games

Majestia (Free)

This is a turn-based strategy/card hybrid featuring figures from various mythologies and world history. I was attracted to this game by its cool aesthetic but had low expectations. Happily, those expectations have been exceeded by a good margin.

Game is very good, especially for F2P. The actual gameplay is a pretty unique approach to the light-strategy/card game hybrid. There are timers for acquiring and training new cards and the like but no energy timers or anything, you can play to your heart's content like most CCGs. Game starts you off with all you need to get going and running through the challenges will net you a bunch of new cards.

New Heroes can be acquired through several means but the main two, after exhausting the challenge levels, is through a chest purchased with premium currency, which gives a random hero, or through a selection of three that refreshes every 12 hours and is obtained through the standard currency. Both currencies are earned through play as victory prizes and achievement unlocks. You can use the premium currency to reduce the wait for the Hero refresh or you can use the "Soul Timer" which is an amount of time that automatically builds that can be spent to reduce any wait timer as you see fit.

Any new heroes and tactical cards you acquire can be used instantly, btw, if that's not clear. The selection and leveling up process is what is on a timer.

All in all, given how many cards and heroes I have acquired after a couple days of play, I feel like I have plenty of deck-building options already and have not felt the need to spend any money at all. There is a good amount of depth here while also still feeling breezy.

Also, Abraham Lincoln is a warrior in this game, as is Dracula. Live the dream.

headerimage0.jpg
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm enjoying this a LOT. Like as of now, I might like it more than Clash Royale. CR is faster and easier to get into, but I really like everything else about this. The low poly aesthetic; the MOBA + chess + card game hybrid of gameplay; the visual effects of attacks, skills, and effects; the rock-paper-scissor strategy that has surprising nuance; the different heroes; the generous F2P model.

My second favorite May game after Yankai's Peak. Hope this game takes off.

HotHamBoy

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm enjoying this a LOT. Like as of now, I might like it more than Clash Royale. CR is faster and easier to get into, but I really like everything else about this. The low poly aesthetic; the MOBA + chess + card game hybrid of gameplay; the visual effects of attacks, skills, and effects; the rock-paper-scissor strategy that has surprising nuance; the different heroes; the generous F2P model.

My second favorite May game after Yankai's Peak. Hope this game takes off.

Yeah, the F2P model is quite reasonable. I like the depth provided by 3 victory conditions, too.

I love the aesthetic and the amalgamation of characters. Strong art direction that looks very distinguished from everything else.

The only game where Zeus, Odin and Napoleon can fight against Lucifer, Socrates and Dracula.

awp69

Got my phone working again after a full restore and am now on 10.3.2 so also finally getting those 32 bit app messages.

Disappointed that every Cave shmup has not been updated to 64-bit support. They don't seem to do much mobile anymore either (in the West at least) so would not be surprised if they aren't updated. Those are some pricey games too that are still for sale. Maybe I'll be wrong and they will update them.

Top Bottom