• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

JCho133

Gosh darnit I jammed it again

FTLgjIE.jpg

Flunkie

Banned
Just ordered my Air 2 128GB in store.

All in all, trade-ins, gift cards, the special promo trade-in bonuses and members-only $50 gift card deal, they paid me $7 to take it.

WHAT?!?!?!

Yeah. I know. I can't wait to go pick up "The Beast" when it arrives at my store.

PittaGAF

Just ordered my Air 2 128GB in store.

All in all, trade-ins, gift cards, the special promo trade-in bonuses and members-only $50 gift card deal, they paid me $7 to take it.

WHAT?!?!?!

Yeah. I know. I can't wait to go pick up "The Beast" when it arrives at my store.

Wow, congrats...it's an awesome device.

Which game will you try first on the beast?

Okay, so Beat Sneak Bandit is awesome. I had played it before, but never really "played" it, if you know what I mean. I had tried a few levels, couldn't get the rhythm down, and didn't touch the game for a while. Gave it another shot today, and just finished Chapter 1 + the shadow levels, all clocks, and it's fantastic. Device 6 is Simogo's best experience, but Beat Sneak Bandit is definitely their best game, and perhaps the best rhythm-based IOS game I've played.

JCho133

Okay, so Beat Sneak Bandit is awesome. I had played it before, but never really "played" it, if you know what I mean. I had tried a few levels, couldn't get the rhythm down, and didn't touch the game for a while. Gave it another shot today, and just finished Chapter 1 + the shadow levels, all clocks, and it's fantastic. Device 6 is Simogo's best experience, but Beat Sneak Bandit is definitely their best game, and perhaps the best rhythm-based IOS game I've played.

Still haven't played it, I'm waiting for them to release it in a bundle with kosmo spin and bumpy road

Dalek

In my opinion-it's tied for the best iOS game with Kingdom Rush.

awp69

Well, I will soon officially no longer be an Apple customer phone wise. With no end in sight to my cellular data issues, they worked with AT&T to get me an upgrade to an HTC One (M8).

But I will use my 5S and they're still offering me something off the Apple Store (no
iPads). So I came up with the devious ideal of trading in my 5S and getting a 64 GB iPod Touch 5th gen and trading them in to Best Buy in hopes of at least getting a first gen iPad Air. I know my 5S and alone still gets $300. So if O get $100 or so for the iPod Touch I hope to get from Apple I think I'll be in business!

Well, I will soon officially no longer be an Apple customer phone wise. With no end in sight to my cellular data issues, they worked with AT&T to get me an upgrade to an HTC One (M8).

But I will use my 5S and they're still offering me something off the Apple Store (no
iPads). So I came up with the devious ideal of trading in my 5S and getting a 64 GB iPod Touch 5th gen and trading them in to Best Buy in hopes of at least getting a first gen iPad Air. I know my 5S and alone still gets $300. So if O get $100 or so for the iPod Touch I hope to get from Apple I think I'll be in business!
I got my iPhone 5c for free (my family has been with Sprint for years so we get free phone upgrades

Voidance

The HTC One M8 is a great phone, so your in good hands as far as that's concerned. I recently left the Apple ecosystem myself, but I still enjoy reading the thread!

Flunkie

Banned
Wow, congrats...it's an awesome device.

Which game will you try first on the beast?
There was a mixup at the store, they actually had one but couldn't find it. They found it, so I went and picked it up. This thing is glorious. Wow. I do miss he mini form factor but there's no way I'd buy that gimped thing. First game? It was actually KOTOR. I feel like I'm going from Windows 98 to Windows 7 with the performance of this thing playing KOTOR on iPad 3 vs this. Next I'm going to try is Asphalt 8 and GoF2 and RR3. And a monument Valley. Any other suggestions?

Tallowmere looks awesome.

HUSH YOU!!!

we both know my phone is my F2P machine

awp69

I got my iPhone 5c for free (my family has been with Sprint for years so we get free phone upgrades

Yeah, been with AT&T forever. But this was Apple's problem. Got a 4S in November of last year but then March began to have major cellular data problems -- like using a gig in one day.

Worked with Apple for months to figure things out. They upgraded me to a 5S for free and the problem continued. Kept having to sending logs, etc. I finally figured out it was something to do with my iTunes account and if I logged out the cellular data wouldn't be as high but it was still easy to forget and I'd still come close to or go over and get charged. So they called me almost twice a week just to say they still didn't have a solution.

Finally, they offered me another gift from the Apple Store but that still wasn't allowing me to freely use my data. So the only way to stop it was to switch to Android. Told them to either pay for it or work with AT&T to get me an early upgrade (since I would have had to wait until Nov. 2015). And tonight we both talked to AT&T and they agreed. Plus Apple is still letting me get a gift - probably a 64 GB iPod Touch 5G.

Unless I do that trade thing to get an iPad Air, I'll still be using my 5S as an iPod Touch.

awp69

Another awesome PC indie makes its way to IOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJTJh4332Tw

Tallowmere is a roguelike platformer where you can kill cute kittens for a health boost and shoot hydras in the face with a rocket launcher. Yes, it's silly, over the top, gory, and a lot of fun

You can check out the PC game here:
http://www.tallowmere.com/

That looks pretty cool. Wonder when it'll be put on iOS?

Also was reading Pocket Gamer's roundup of the week and that big "secret game" is supposedly coming out next week. Anyone have any clue as to what it may be?

That looks pretty cool. Wonder when it'll be put on iOS?

Also was reading Pocket Gamer's roundup of the week and that big "secret game" is supposedly coming out next week. Anyone have any clue as to what it may be?
Should be soon, he already submitted the game to Apple for review back in October

From the dev's Twitter

awp69

Hay I play good stuff. Wayward souls still feels weird on big iPad.

You know what's strange. I'm actually a little torn on whether to trade in my 5S towards an iPad Air. I actually have grown so used to truly portable gaming on iOS (which I play way more than my Shield Tablet).

But I know there's iPad only games I'm missing out on and even universal games like Banner Saga that would be so nice on a bigger screen.

Still that portability...sneaking in a quick game during a "bathroom break" at work...

Flunkie

Banned
You know what's strange. I'm actually a little torn on whether to trade in my 5S towards an iPad Air. I actually have grown so used to truly portable gaming on iOS (which I play way more than my Shield Tablet).

But I know there's iPad only games I'm missing out on and even universal games like Banner Saga that would be so nice on a bigger screen.

Still that portability...sneaking in a quick game during a "bathroom break" at work...
If only there were an in-between. Also, I have a much more fuck-it attitude when posting here now that we're in community hell.

awp69

If only there were an in-between. Also, I have a much more fuck-it attitude when posting here now that we're in community hell.

Well, an iPhone 6/6+ WOULD be a great go between if Apple would figure what the hell is wrong with my iTunes account and cellular data. I even asked if they could somehow transfer my purchases to a new account to see if that would fix it. But got met with a great big hell no.

So, Apple won't be my phone choice for the foreseeable future (and even if I keep my 5S, it'll just be my "5S Touch").

Anyway, I should be thankful to even have choices -- even with the year of shit I put up with.

And sorry for digressing this gaming thread into my boring hardware woes.

PFD

Do we still need monthly threads now that we're in community? I think the reason we stopped doing megathreads was because they would be moved to community

Do we still need monthly threads now that we're in community? I think the reason we stopped doing megathreads was because they would be moved to community
Personally I think monthly threads work better. Keeps the focus on more recent games, makes the OP more manageable by only having the popular games from that month, more friendly to thread newcomers, etc.

awp69

Personally I think monthly threads work better. Keeps the focus on more recent games, makes the OP more manageable by only having the popular games from that month, more friendly to thread newcomers, etc.

I agree. The focus on new games helps. Of course, fine to discuss other too, but it's the best way to keep on top of the new stuff.

Ok I don't want to start an android vs iOS war, but am i alone I thinking in thinking google's Game Center clone (Google Play Games) is better than Game Center? I just downloaded the app to my Galaxy phone and, imo, has better leaderboard and achievement tracking than Game Center does. It even lets you check profiles of recently played players and let's you know when one of your friends is playing the same game as you. Really hope Apple moves one of its priorities to updating Game Center in the nearby future.

Ok I don't want to start an android vs iOS war, but am i alone I thinking in thinking google's Game Center clone (Google Play Games) is better than Game Center? I just downloaded the app to my Galaxy phone and, imo, has better leaderboard and achievement tracking than Game Center does. It even lets you check profiles of recently played players and let's you know when one of your friends is playing the same game as you. Really hope Apple moves one of its priorities to updating Game Center in the nearby future.

As somebody who never, ever, bothers to go into Game Center, I can only say "probably".

Dalek

Apple seems to have redirected all their developer resources off of Game Center and onto other projects. There have been no features or enhancements added to it in years-with the exception of the UI change that happened in ios7

Apple seems to have redirected all their developer resources off of Game Center and onto other projects. There have been no features or enhancements added to it in years-with the exception of the UI change that happened in ios7

Apart from the massive feature of adding controller support that is....

Brakara

Am I the only one having problem with random Wi-Fi disconnects after upgrading to iOS 8? It makes Hearthstone pretty much unplayable.

dock

Yep, I really like the monthly threads.

I really don't like that all of iOS gaming has been ghettoised, however. I guess some platforms will forever play second fiddle to the majority of gamers.

awp69

Ayyye glad to see someone else is enjoying it.

Bronxsta, please buy Muertitos, it's a dollar.

I got it and am enjoying. Pretty clever take on the match 3.

So no one has any clue or guess as to what this "big" secret iOS release is that Pocket Gamer keeps mentioning?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So bitcoin billionaire..

Is it worth buying upgrades for offline earning, or should I just exchange my hyperbits for coins to spend on investments? The offline stuff seems a bit limited (20 minutes max?)

Edit: had to find the thread via Google search - didn't realise it was moved to community.

gblues

Banned
That explains why I couldn't find it. I literally went through 10+ pages trying to find it before resorting to Google Search.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Damn, Bitcoin billionaire pauses if you don't do anything for a while, so you can't just leave it open earning money..

Sigh...
If that's the case, the move to community will probably hurt the thread in the long run
It might hurt it a bit but to be honest this community already was a little isolated anyways. Like 70% of the posts in these threads are of regular posters, 20% casual posters, and maybe 5% are new posters to the threads.

But yeah, I don't disagree that moving these threads to community was not such a good idea.

awp69

So I'm thinking now that I'm probably going to get an iPad Mini 2 since it's just as powerful as both the 5S I'm trading for it as well as the first edition iPad Air. Also will be able to afford a 32 GB rather than a 16 GB Air. Plus I think the in between size would work better for me.

Anyway, my question is what iPad only games should I start putting on my wish list? There's plenty of Unversal games like Banner Saga that I know I'll enjoy much more on a bigger screen. Just trying to think of iPad exlusives.

For some reason, I always wanted Mutant Storm being a DSS fan. I remember hearing Cribitron was also good for an arcadey iPad exlusive. Other recommendations?

So I'm thinking now that I'm probably going to get an iPad Mini 2 since it's just as powerful as both the 5S I'm trading for it as well as the first edition iPad Air. Also will be able to afford a 32 GB rather than a 16 GB Air. Plus I think the in between size would work better for me.

Anyway, my question is what iPad only games should I start putting on my wish list? There's plenty of Unversal games like Banner Saga that I know I'll enjoy much more on a bigger screen. Just trying to think of iPad exlusives.

For some reason, I always wanted Mutant Storm being a DSS fan. I remember hearing Cribitron was also good for an arcadey iPad exlusive. Other recommendations?
Qvadriga
Tactical Space Command
FTL
Battle World Kronos

awp69

Qvadriga
Tactical Space Command
FTL
Battle World Kronos

Thanks. Those are all good, although I have quite a few strategy type games in the wings, including my Android. Never thought I'd have two tablets, but hey, I'll take it. :)

If I didn't like Out There, isn't FTL even more management oriented (and more complicated)?

okno

So bitcoin billionaire..

Is it worth buying upgrades for offline earning, or should I just exchange my hyperbits for coins to spend on investments? The offline stuff seems a bit limited (20 minutes max?)

Edit: had to find the thread via Google search - didn't realise it was moved to community.

Don't bother until you get the more high level stuff. Once you hit the Robot Factory, start pumping those hyperbits into their. You'll start making a ton of money when you're away. I wasted a bunch of hyperbits in the early stages that ended up not helping me out very much.

I seriously have a very difficult time ever stopping. My boyfriend is very upset with me, haha.

Thanks. Those are all good, although I have quite a few strategy type games in the wings, including my Android. Never thought I'd have two tablets, but hey, I'll take it. :)

If I didn't like Out There, isn't FTL even more management oriented (and more complicated)?
FTL is all about combat. Teleporting your crew onto an enemy ship, dealing with a hull breach and racing to contain a fire as your oxygen drops, making the tough decision to sacrifice part of your crew to save your ship, getting better and more advanced equipment (clones, mind control, drones, new weapons, etc.). It's a strategic roguelike, as you flee across the galaxy, explore new systems, deal with different random encounters. It's basically everything that Space Command wished it could be

http://kotaku.com/5944452/you-wont-...n-but-youll-still-have-stories-to-show-for-it

There is management, but it's less about resources and more about juggling your crew and your weapons and your ship's systems during combat

Here's a good breakdown of what the gameplay is like:
http://www.pcgamer.com/ftl-preview-2/

Top Bottom