• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming November 2014: GLORIOUS!™

awp69

So this week we got the Monument Valley expansion, definitely my most anticipated release. Anything else noteworthy coming out this week?

In their round-up last week, PG said there's a "nice big juicy secret game" coming out this week and to get hyped.

Also mentioned the sci-fi game Space Age, releasing on the 13th.

Whoever has a really big surprise release has been doing a good job keeping it quiet. Of course, Bioshock took a lot of people by surprise too.

Anilones

In their round-up last week, PG said there's a "nice big juicy secret game" coming out this week and to get hyped.

Also mentioned the sci-fi game Space Age, releasing on the 13th.

Whoever has a really big surprise release has been doing a good job keeping it quiet. Of course, Bioshock took a lot of people by surprise too.
I seem to remember that KOTOR was a surprise release also.

Matt Frost

I picked up Mr. Particle-Man and its quite impressive... its uses the touchscreen in some really good way, mixing the frantic swiping in all directions of Worm Run with pinball mechanics and keeps adding up some nice obstacles at a steady pace, some quite fun bosses and a nice level design, topped with an awesome retro skin. GameCenter and no IAP at all. This is quite the nice surprise, reminds me of the excellent The Last Rocket by Shawn Inman. Anyone into pure Arcade games should get this one. Recommended.

screen520x924.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id583253123?mt=8

Flunkie

Banned
GoF2 HD looks absolutely stunning on iPad Air 2. I can finally play at full settings with a non-horrid framerate! I think it's time to finally finish this game. I think I'll go for all the achievements too.

Also, SPACE MINER IS GETTING A MODERN UPDATE AND A SEQUEL!

Flunkie

Banned
Omfg. Icebreaker: a Viking Voyage is the best game of all time. Seriously. I usually stray away from level-based physics puzzlers because they just remind me of Angry Birds but this redefines the genre. It totally breaks the mold. It constantly throws new stuff at you. It's hilarious. The gameplay is fluid. The controls are simple and intuitive. The music is perfect. The physics are spot on. The replay value is insane.

Get. This. Game.

Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage (Universal) by Nitrome
https://appsto.re/us/V23iN.i

Sye d'Burns

Thanks JCho for the code, I'll give Muertitos a spin. I watched a little gameplay video and I get the not so subtle feeling that it's going to kick my ass.

Also, SPACE MINER IS GETTING A MODERN UPDATE AND A SEQUEL!

O Happy Day!

I love that game. The banjos still set my heart aflutter.

Now, watch as I do my no-freemium dance.

Omfg. Icebreaker: a Viking Voyage is the best game of all time. Seriously. I usually stray away from level-based physics puzzlers because they just remind me of Angry Birds but this redefines the genre. It totally breaks the mold. It constantly throws new stuff at you. It's hilarious. The gameplay is fluid. The controls are simple and intuitive. The music is perfect. The physics are spot on. The replay value is insane.

Get. This. Game.

Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage (Universal) by Nitrome
https://appsto.re/us/V23iN.i
Didn't I say that last month :p

Ha, but seriously, I'm still playing the game. Actually, I'm trying to get par on every level now, which really makes you think about how to optimize every slice. And I haven't even gotten to the Kraken levels yet

Oh! It makes perfect sense, but I never realized the devs were actually considering it. Mushroom 11 is (likely? probably?) coming to tablets next year
It's slated for launch on Linux, Mac and Windows PC via Steam "for sure," he said, with plans for tablets and handhelds as well. "It works well on touch screens," he added.

2648093-m11_l2_6.gif

Matt Frost

I picked up Mr. Particle-Man and its quite impressive... its uses the touchscreen in some really good way, mixing the frantic swiping in all directions of Worm Run with pinball mechanics and keeps adding up some nice obstacles at a steady pace, some quite fun bosses and a nice level design, topped with an awesome retro skin. GameCenter and no IAP at all. This is quite the nice surprise, reminds me of the excellent The Last Rocket by Shaun Inman. Anyone into pure Arcade games should get this one. Recommended.

screen520x924.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id583253123?mt=8

Don't see a lot of love here for this super awesome addictive premium game... hmmm

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Any date on the Oceanhorn graphical update?

heringer

Is this the Zelda-like game? How is it?

It's a decent copy cat and the best option in the genre.

However, as someone who is playing Minish Cap at the moment, it's safe to say the real thing is much better.

I have to try Ittle Dew. Seems pretty decent.

Edit: oh snap, just tried and it's awesome!

Jarsonot

Hey guys. I'm playing xcom on the 6+, and the camera is really bad. Very slow. When I'm trying to get a look at the battlefield each swipe of my finger only moves in little increments, so I have to swipe 20+ times to get anywhere, really tedious. Pinch to zoom in/out unresponsive at times, takes multiple tries to get it to register.

I like the game but it's almost unplayable because it's so annoying trying to look around the playable area.

I've been googling around trying to see if this is an issue, any obvious fixes I'm just not thinking of... And I don't see this being discussed anywhere, which is itself odd.

So: for those of you who've played xcom, how's the camera? And what device? Maybe it's a 6+ issue? Maybe that's just the way it is and deal with it?

FerranMG

Is there any other information regarding Kindom Rush Origins besides the release date?

Will it be a universal app?
Will it have cross-saving?
Price?

Really looking forward to it.

Matt Frost

I am not that hyped for Kingdom Rush anymore after reading that PocketGamer article. Do I really want more of the same for the third time? Not really. I would rather play Sleep Attack TD which adds a new mechanic into play: rotating the battlefield. That is something newsworthy to discover if you are a TD fan. I like to support original ideas.

screen520x924.jpeg

Minsc

Gold Member
I am not that hyped for Kingdom Rush anymore after reading that PocketGamer article. Do I really want more of the same for the third time? Not really. I would rather play Sleep Attack TD which adds a new mechanic into play: rotating the battlefield. That is something newsworthy to discover if you are a TD fan. I like to support original ideas.

screen520x924.jpeg

I think you're over-simplifying the amount of diversity present in individual Kingdom Rush levels. While the first two titles were quite similar in general gameplay, the diversity in tactics you need for each level and challenges that you face in each level are actually what you qualify as entire games to themselves. Kingdom Rush isn't afraid to throw enemies and bosses at you that completely twist up the gameplay mechanics in the game, and the video trailer from Origins to me looks like it has a lot more going on than normal. I expect lots of new mechanics in the gameplay of the levels themselves from it. Just because part of it is the same isn't bad, and while the rotate your towers in a circle-thing in Sleep Attack is novel sounding, is the rest of the game as rewarding and well designed as Kingdom Rush? Getting all the achievements and clearing the game on the hardest settings in Kingdom Rush takes a good amount of strategy, and is quite enjoyable. The product as a whole is pretty diverse too, and I wouldn't really describe it as a grind or tedious. Really the sheer amount of ways it mixes up the gameplay with all the different modes is nothing to glaze by, you have the typical build up your forces mode, but then extra modes for each level where you start with a set amount of resources, or where you can't lose a single heart.

Also, Sleep Attack doesn't really look to push the bar quite as much as a few other tower defense games I've played in the past, there's some of them that are barely mentioned here which switch up a whole lot more than just a rotating battlefield... still, I enjoy new ideas, but I certainly won't be dismissing proven ones just because I enjoyed them before.

pdk27

Well put Minsc! I really didn't fulyl see the diversity of the Kingdom Rush series until I started playing the challenges that unlock after 3 starring a level.

Telltale's Game of Thrones "coming soon"
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Game+of+Thrones/news.asp?c=62509

Well put Minsc! I really didn't fulyl see the diversity of the Kingdom Rush series until I started playing the challenges that unlock after 3 starring a level.
I tried the game but never really got very far. Seemed like I was missing out since so many heroes were locked behind IAP. Are those heroes necessary for the best experience, and is Frontier the better game to get?

Bronxsta, have you not redeemed your Muertitos code yet?
I have, but haven't really played it, was busy with my senior project. I'll post impressions later

Minsc

Gold Member
I tried the game but never really got very far. Seemed like I was missing out since so many heroes were locked behind IAP. Are those heroes necessary for the best experience, and is Frontier the better game to get?

Every level is beatable with no heroes at all, on the hardest settings, and with no consumable powers.

The extra heroes are a crutch that aren't needed, but helpful, and the consumables are a straight up cheat if you simply cannot pass a level.

Both games saw quite a bit of additional content added to them as well.

You could also consider the PC version, it's a slightly better game because there are no IAPs iirc, all heroes are included and there are no consumables I think, if you're put off by them in the mobile version. The PC version also has a few levels not present on mobile too I believe, along with commonly a larger screen to view the game on.

I think the first game was better liked, and a little more challenging, but they're both quite fun, and shouldn't be missed by anyone who enjoys TD games.

Speaking of, I really have to get Defense Grid 2 at some point, that was another really great TD game, and I hear the sequel does some pretty fun stuff with the levels transforming and changing layout during play.

heringer

How is Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake?

I'm in the mood for Zelda like games (I know its not the same but I think there's some similarities?)

Matt Frost

I think you're over-simplifying the amount of diversity present in individual Kingdom Rush levels. While the first two titles were quite similar in general gameplay, the diversity in tactics you need for each level and challenges that you face in each level are actually what you qualify as entire games to themselves. Kingdom Rush isn't afraid to throw enemies and bosses at you that completely twist up the gameplay mechanics in the game, and the video trailer from Origins to me looks like it has a lot more going on than normal. I expect lots of new mechanics in the gameplay of the levels themselves from it. Just because part of it is the same isn't bad, and while the rotate your towers in a circle-thing in Sleep Attack is novel sounding, is the rest of the game as rewarding and well designed as Kingdom Rush? Getting all the achievements and clearing the game on the hardest settings in Kingdom Rush takes a good amount of strategy, and is quite enjoyable. The product as a whole is pretty diverse too, and I wouldn't really describe it as a grind or tedious. Really the sheer amount of ways it mixes up the gameplay with all the different modes is nothing to glaze by, you have the typical build up your forces mode, but then extra modes for each level where you start with a set amount of resources, or where you can't lose a single heart.

Also, Sleep Attack doesn't really look to push the bar quite as much as a few other tower defense games I've played in the past, there's some of them that are barely mentioned here which switch up a whole lot more than just a rotating battlefield... still, I enjoy new ideas, but I certainly won't be dismissing proven ones just because I enjoyed them before.

I think you didnt understand me this time. I didnt meant that Kingdom Rush doesn't offer variety. I think of them as the best and brightest tower defense out there. Its just that they are repeating the formula too much. Yes, they probably improved on a lot of things but is the bigger scale that I wish to be... different. Something groundbreaking. For the third game in the series, I expected some changes to the core formula. Why do the same thing over and over? Is the same with freemium games. They are basically the same game but with a different skins and some small tweaks. Kingdom Rush is following the same path.

Oh, and I completed EVERY LEVEL WITH 3 STARS on both Kingdom Rush games in just two days. A day for the first one, another for the second -been playing strategy games since I was a kid-. So for the skilled player there wasn't any challenge at all, dont come at me with all that...

And yes, Sleep Attack TD so far feels really balanced. The towers feel useful and there is a lot to like there. Its balanced, fun to play and all. Have you played it? You should. Do not criticize a game if you haven't even played it... thanks.

Matt Frost

Frontiers may be the best TD out there until the new one arrives of course -those little tweaks sure will make some difference for sure, after all, its evolving the game step by step-. The heroes locked behind the IAP are not that necessary. They sure help a lot but with the right skills and some wits you'll be able to place the correct tower at the right place (as with the hero, but dont rely on the free ones too much), after all, that is all that matters. Placing the right tower on the right place and to know when to upgrade them. The game is always looking to counter this by introducing new roads but a fast restart and knowing this new route, you will be unstoppable.

Matt Frost

How is Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake?

I'm in the mood for Zelda like games (I know its not the same but I think there's some similarities?)

I finished it. Its not really anything like Zelda, maybe the graphic style and the charm, but thats it. Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake is a puzzler where you move crates and other objects around with the help of the different monsters and their abilities to collect all the items in a level. Closer to Zelda is Oceanhorn.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think you didnt understand me this time. I didnt meant that Kingdom Rush doesn't offer variety. I think of them as the best and brightest tower defense out there. Its just that they are repeating the formula too much. Yes, they probably improved on a lot of things but is the bigger scale that I wish to be... different. Something groundbreaking. For the third game in the series, I expected some changes to the core formula. Why do the same thing over and over? Is the same with freemium games. They are basically the same game but with a different skins and some small tweaks. Kingdom Rush is following the same path.

Oh, and I completed EVERY LEVEL WITH 3 STARS on both Kingdom Rush games in just two days. A day for the first one, another for the second -been playing strategy games since I was a kid-. So for the skilled player there wasn't any challenge at all, dont come at me with all that...

And yes, Sleep Attack TD so far feels really balanced. The towers feel useful and there is a lot to like there. Its balanced, fun to play and all. Have you played it? You should. Do not criticize a game if you haven't even played it... thanks.

Well, to be fair, KR did get a bit harder after release, I don't believe the initial levels are nearly as tricky as some of the extra levels added to the game in updates (which were still being added to the game, even earlier this year). If you haven't already finished those too, I'd recommend giving them a shot, they do offer much trickier gameplay, but if you already cleared them, kudos, that's pretty impressive in a day... some of them really took me for a ride trying all sorts of different things out (those damn swamp zombies).

As for Sleep Attack, I'll try it eventually. Maybe it's the better game to get like you say, but I don't think you'll change to many minds by attacking well liked games in your pitch for it.

Edit: Not that I don't believe you, but I'd also like to point out the average youtube video length for the later levels is ~25 minutes, and to get 3 stars and both challenge modes (heroic and iron man), that's going to be ~1 hour of time per level minimum (also assuming you never make a mistake and have to retry), and there's a good dozen additional levels after the campaign (so ~12 hours), plus the entire campaign (which should easily be another 12 hours), unless you just mean you got the 3 stars cleared, and you didn't clear the Heroic and Iron Challenges which is where a lot of additional gameplay can be found in that the structure is a lot different.

pdk27

I'm in the upper 90s out of 110 stars in each game. I never bought a DLC character nor used any of the consumables in either game. I think you can get enough enjoyment in just using the characters that come with the base game.

Flunkie

Banned
Didn't I say that last month :p

Ha, but seriously, I'm still playing the game. Actually, I'm trying to get par on every level now, which really makes you think about how to optimize every slice. And I haven't even gotten to the Kraken levels yet
Yes, you were the one who prompted me to play it since it was just sitting on my iPad.

Is anyone here gaming on an iPad 3? If so, how is your experience?
Horrible. I had that thing up til just this week and iirc it has the same specs as an iPad 2 basically with a retina screen so performance on modern games is pretty terribad.

heringer

I finished it. Its not really anything like Zelda, maybe the graphic style and the charm, but thats it. Monsters Ate My Birthday Cake is a puzzler where you move crates and other objects around with the help of the different monsters and their abilities to collect all the items in a level. Closer to Zelda is Oceanhorn.
Hmm, I see. But how is the game? Oceanhorn is ok I guess, I wanted something else.
There's also Ittle Dew, which is another Zelda-inspired game
https://appsto.re/us/8yJnQ.i

Yep, I'm playing it and it's great. Might be better than Oceanhorn.

Voidance

Horrible. I had that thing up til just this week and iirc it has the same specs as an iPad 2 basically with a retina screen so performance on modern games is pretty terribad.
Crap.

That's the only model I have available to game on right now. I stole my wife's virtually unused iPad 3 to play some iOS games in the interim, though your post affirms the experiences I've had so far -- the keyboard stutters and app switching is anything but graceful -- but I had hoped it was due to other stuff running. I would upgrade, but she doesn't think I need to given my usage.

What does she think I do while she hogs my PS4? :^P

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Sorry guys, I was under heavy backlog this past week so I haven't kept up with the thread. Updated the OP with new games now though. Any Icewind Dale impressions? How is the port? I'm itching to replay that one but at the moment I very very much do not have the time. :(

Edit: had to find the thread via Google search - didn't realise it was moved to community.

Sigh...
If that's the case, the move to community will probably hurt the thread in the long run

That explains why I couldn't find it. I literally went through 10+ pages trying to find it before resorting to Google Search.

I argued that it'll probably hurt us since iOS gets comparatively little exposure on GAF as is next to PSN/STEAM/WiiU/XBL etc. etc. I really really hope the decision is reversed.

Hmm, I see. But how is the game? Oceanhorn is ok I guess, I wanted something else.

Yep, I'm playing it and it's great. Might be better than Oceanhorn.
I agree, Ittle Dew is way better at being "a Zelda type game" than Oceanhorn. Highly recommend that one.

So...Muertitos...

I really like the visual style and presentation. No doubt it's a polished, finely-crafted game, with its colorful Day of the Dead-inspired aesthetic. The gameplay is simple but strategic, where you want to plan two or three moves ahead to avoid finding yourself with a gridlocked board. Like Threes, you always have an idea about what tile is coming next, allowing you to strategize.

But maybe I'm just Match 3'ed out, because the game is doing nothing for me. Muertitos is a well-made fun game, but it's just not appealing to me in the slightest. I foresee it being one of those games that I'll come back to in a few weeks or months and be like, "Oh, now I get it" and it'll hook me then.

The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 1 is free

Oh, and Godfire is down to $0.99. I guess that perfectly encapsulates the price mentality of the general IOS audience, when a game slowly drops from $6.99 to $0.99

awp69

Oh, and Godfire is down to $0.99. I guess that perfectly encapsulates the price mentality of the general IOS audience, when a game slowly drops from $6.99 to $0.99

To be fair, that game did get a very mixed response. I think I picked it up during a $1.99 sale only because I like hack n slashes. But it is pretty bland gameplay wise. And there was a lot of complaining about IAPs, but I was able to complete it without any.

It just didn't live up to the hype.

So, at least for those of us who buy support premium efforts, there are still reasons why I don't buy everything under the sun. I don't wait for price drops for the sake of price drops. I just sometimes pick up games I otherwise wouldn't have.

Top Bottom