• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2013: Wipe that print off your screen, next-gen is already here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wihio

I have been bitten by the Fairway Solitaire bug recently. It is a good game that offers a lot of play time. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a game that can be dropped into for a few minutes if you have a little down time!

dock

My iPhone 5S arrived today. Yay! I'll be rushing home in three hours to set it up.

Other than Infinity Blade 3 (which I don't know about...) are there any games I should check out? I'm upgrading from an iPhone 4 so I haven't been able to play many recent games.

Clunker

Duet is really good. I don't know if I have quite the fervor that the poster above has, but it's definitely a sort of hybrid blend of Super Hexagon and a puzzle game, and the chilled out soundtrack is excellent.

I have been bitten by the Fairway Solitaire bug recently. It is a good game that offers a lot of play time. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a game that can be dropped into for a few minutes if you have a little down time!

Have you noticed if it eats through battery life faster than expected?

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
1377418_652983588068803_939386855_n.jpg

Check out this screenshot from the intro of Castaway Paradise . The player is all covered in seaweed after they got shipwrecked on the island. Luckily mayor Viktoria finds the player and gives them a tent to stay in for a while.

Do you think we're using enough seaweed to cover the player in?

milkham

hey guys who bought xcom for ios, it says size is 1.88 gigs but i need 3.25 gigs free to install it is that normal?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can Duet be added to the OP? It's masterful. Now comes the obligatory praise and gushing, in 3,2,1:

I'll take my usual commission *hint hint nudge nudge*.

:D

--

Am I the only one that feels disappointed at the fact that Tiny Death Star seems just like a Tiny Tower skin job?
http://youtu.be/u9TJgCrHLrc
Don't get me wrong, I "played" Tiny Tower for many hours, but there are seemingly no new gameplay mechanics in this new one? Nimblebit is starting to look like a two-trick pony with the Planes/Trains and Tower/Death Star combo here.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Am I the only one that feels disappointed at the fact that Tiny Death Star seems just like a Tiny Tower skin job?
http://youtu.be/u9TJgCrHLrc
Don't get me wrong, I "played" Tiny Tower for many hours, but there are seemingly no new gameplay mechanics in this new one? Nimblebit is starting to look like a two-trick pony with the Planes/Trains and Tower/Death Star combo here.

Aw, I was holding out hope that it would be a bit more involved than Tiny Tower. At least Planes and Trains let you put some thought into the way that you build and run your company. Tower's okay for what it is (basically Tamagochi in the form a building), but there's not much to do in it but wait around or move the elevator up and down. Bummer.

I want Tiny Death Star to be EXACTLY the same as Tiny Tower. It's still my favourite freemium thing because it comes with little of the freemium shit that curses other games, like bothering your friends on Facebook when they don't fucking care about your cheap-ass gaming habits.

Lastest Smash Bandit update removed the stupid timer! That was my main gripe with the game, I actually really liked the gameplay but the timer ruined it for me. So I can finally fully enjoy the game

Here's the full changelog
Halloween Pumpkin Apocalypse
Fact: Cops love Halloween. They've decorated the town with pumpkins in an attempt to scare off the Bandits. Show your contempt and SMASH as many as you can before time runs out to unlock an exclusive, limited edition Halloween Hotrod. The Hotrod even comes with its own spooky smoke effect. It's going to be a pumpkin massacre!

Jail and the Wanted System
So, yeah, we heard you. Bandits don't like ending up in jail. We gave the local cops a massive amount of laundered cash and they've agreed never to put you in jail again. There's a catch though. When you hit max wanted the ""Agency"" will be alerted and come at you in their ""Bandit Chasing Super Cars"". It'll be tough alright, but it's loads more fun now and you can always wait it out if you're not up to it.

New Gadget
Our scientists have been hard a work developing new ways to get the cops off your tail. They've come up with a shocking new tool we call the Electrified Chassis. Simply put, if a cop touches your car when this bad boy is charged up they'll receive the shock of their lives.

New Car
Along side the Hotrod, we're also proud to introduce the Dune Buggy. The cops won't know what hit them! Let us know what new cars you'd like to see in the game.

Other Improvements.
- If you're awesome, keep an eye out for the new cop car.
- To help you keep track of your challenges they now appear on the loading screen.
- High Scores are now permanent.
- Ram tutorial enhancements.
- Car tiers introduced. Own any car in a tier to unlock the next tier.
- Car upgrade stats changed to make it easier to compare vehicles.
- The game shouldn't nag you for Facebook authentication any more.
- New music.
- Starting position based on previous death.
- Improved iOS 7 support.
- Many bugs fixes.

igor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7kERx3Ngcg&feature=player_embedded#at=15

Haters gonna hate, but this is PERFECT set up for such a game... unless they don't implement autosave mode. This game is hundred or so hours long. It will be super in short bursts like on commute where you can jump in and out and personally I feel that playing landscape is making me much more... erm, commited? It's just awkward on iPhone screen for certain games playing them on a bus. That's just me though. That's why i thought Knights of Pen Paper is a perfect mobile RPG. I guess adding both would be perfect for longer playing sessions but I am pretty happy.

Now release this in Europe please O_O

Clunker

hey guys who bought xcom for ios, it says size is 1.88 gigs but i need 3.25 gigs free to install it is that normal?
Yep. I'm pretty sure if you install through iTunes you don't need the massive overhead of free space to install, though.

If I wasn't so hard up for space, I'd have XCOM on my phone all of the time.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I want Tiny Death Star to be EXACTLY the same as Tiny Tower. It's still my favourite freemium thing because it comes with little of the freemium shit that curses other games, like bothering your friends on Facebook when they don't fucking care about your cheap-ass gaming habits.

Yeah me too, I loved Tiny Tower and the Star Wars skin is going to make me love it all over again. Any news on when it's out?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Lol, just dl Smash Bandits for the first time and only because they've now removed the timer (didn't bother with it before, I'm kinda okay with timers on f2p games on a per case basis but only for strategy games: well, on my Mini with the music on it runs at a whopping 15fps, more often than not, unless you're on boat... with music off it hits maybe 20fps, smooth on boat of course.

Meh.

Also don't see what the fuss is about, gameplay-wise it got old after 10 minutes but I'm prolly missing something, I'll keep at it some more but the poor performance on my device is very distracting.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Oops, posts combo, sorry guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7kERx3Ngcg&feature=player_embedded#at=15

Haters gonna hate, but this is PERFECT set up for such a game... unless they don't implement autosave mode. This game is hundred or so hours long. It will be super in short bursts like on commute where you can jump in and out and personally I feel that playing landscape is making me much more... erm, commited? It's just awkward on iPhone screen for certain games playing them on a bus. That's just me though. That's why i thought Knights of Pen Paper is a perfect mobile RPG. I guess adding both would be perfect for longer playing sessions but I am pretty happy.

Now release this in Europe please O_O

Love it, but I sure hope that such laggy as fuck UI (on a 5s no less!) won't be in the final game. Of course that is still a long way coming but you never know with Squeenix and iOS :p
I agree with you tho, JRPGs on handheld/mobile or bust. Of course, as far as commute playing goes, you can bet your ass that a game like DQ8 will eat your battery so freaking' fast you'll need a backup if you need the phone for intensive work related stuff

igor

Oops, posts combo, sorry guys

Love it, but I sure hope that such laggy as fuck UI (on a 5s no less!) won't be in the final game. Of course that is still a long way coming but you never know with Squeenix and iOS :p
I agree with you tho, JRPGs on handheld/mobile or bust. Of course, as far as commute playing goes, you can bet your ass that a game like DQ8 will eat your battery so freaking' fast you'll need a backup if you need the phone for intensive work related stuff

Wasn't that a an android phone in the video? Yeah I'd say they will correct it. The entire framreate is choppy as hell. In fairness, SE games on iOS dont feel as half-arsed like Capcom's Sega's or Namco's releases. I forgot about the battery O_O but then again, the geometry in this game is pretty basic. I hope the asking price won't be around 20 euro. The game should be a tenner really.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'd say either next week or the week after that.

It's a soft launch meant to test the game (and it can be quite buggy as far as I can tell). So they'll release it whenever they want to!

Is that confirmed? That's a bit stupid to do a soft launch for just a day....

I was looking at it on my NZ account just an hour or so ago. But the link/store entry is no longer there.

No Game Center integration in this one yet it seems.

killercow

I was looking at it on my NZ account just an hour or so ago. But the link/store entry is no longer there.

I tried to search for it in NZ and Canada and it wasn't there so I don't think it's a planned worldwide launch. It should be a soft launch (similar to what they are doing on Android right now).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

No Game Center integration in this one yet it seems.
Lame, I liked getting all achievements in Tiny Tower. Anyway, really want to start wasting my time with this, TT + SW = yes please.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Having played some Tiny Death Star now, I can say that this is like Tiny Tower with a Star Wars tapestry along with UI enhancements, added money sinks (such as special floors, like the Mos Eisley Cantina for the cafe food floor), more assignments (and Imperial basement levels!) and additional fun side extras. You can for example unlock 'scenes' that play out short skits in the SW locales/rooms you unlock. These are basically movie clips separate from the main building mode. An example would be a Jar Jar Binks lookalike walking into the Cantina and being crushed under Jabba the Hutt falling through the ceiling.

No social interaction with other players so far, no achievements either (soft launch after all).

I imagine I'll spend countless hours tending to my Death Star...

Another game which just came out today and is free is Fist of Awesome. http://fistofawesome.com/ (trailer here)
FIST OF AWESOME is a time-travelling-lumberjack-em-up of epic proportions. It stars Tim Burr as a man out of time, caught up in a needlessly convoluted plot to enslave humanity by populating history with homicidal wild animals. FIST OF AWESOME gleefully conjures up nostalgic memories of the likes of Final Fight, Streets of Rage, and other fondly remembered brawlers from the 1990s golden age of scrolling beat 'em ups.

It's has an awesome sense of humour coupled with it's art style and controls really nicely. Not to mention an absolutely excellent chip tune soundtrack, and gratuitous bear nudity.

Appstore: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id701415127
screen568x568.jpeg

Heel

Anyone playing Pro Strategy Football 13? Saw that it got a Universal update, and thinking about picking it up. Impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom