• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2014: We didn't even know this was releasing on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Frost

You aren't alone. After all the rave reviews, I got it and also had trouble getting into it. I can see where people like it but I also found it kind of boring and lacking much in the way of suspense.

Oh well, not every game is for everyone. And management sims never were my favorite genre so that probably didn't help.

The sim part of it its more strategic than sim, and... lack of suspense? boring? O... Key... you and I dont have the same tastes anymore.

Matt Frost

Dude. It's just one game! I think we still have the same tastes in the vast majority of games.

xD I know, just wanted to point out that is MY ALL TIME FAVORITE GAME on iOS. No combat, exploration, discovery, amazing art and music, excellent story, hard as nails, sort of endless, 4 endings, enemies, decisions, multiple paths, a huge incoming update. It has it all. I <3 Out There. xD

PittaGAF

xD I know, just wanted to point out that is MY ALL TIME FAVORITE GAME on iOS. No combat, exploration, discovery, amazing art and music, excellent story, hard as nails, sort of endless, 4 endings, enemies, decisions, multiple paths, a huge incoming update. It has it all. I <3 Out There. xD

I would like to remind you that Omega expansion is imminent.

You're welcome :p

PittaGAF

Third time trying to get into Out There and idk, the game just doesn't click with me. Visually, artistically, and atmospherically, the game is wondeful. But I find the actual gameplay so tedious. It's so mechanical, I never feel any tension

Compared to Capsule on PC, another kind of minimal space exploration game where you're lost on and need to watch your fuel, oxygen, and hull. It's very stripped back visually, but it's also one of the most tense, atmospheric experiences I've ever played.

Your labored gasping breaths as your oxygen depletes. The scrambled radio signals fading in and out across the expanse (of space? the ocean depths?). The muted rumbling when you collide with debris. Your engine sputtering as your fuel drops to 0

Personally I love Out There (fighting for my personal GOTY this year, if not for Banner Saga and MAYBE Galactic Keep:Dice Wars) but thank you for pointing out about Capsule which I didn't know.
That shot is fantastic.
Checking the game right now...is it PC only?

heringer

Out There did nothing to me either. Found it very boring and repetitive.

But let's talk about games that are actually good (I kid, I kid). Ghost Blade controls are super impressive. This game needs more love. One of the best action games on iOS. The length is respectable too (for this genre anyway), clocking between 5 to 6 hours.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Eh, I think it's alright. A bit too obtuse for it's own good sometimes, far too likely to screw yourself as well (he says, having spent at least 15 hours on it and never having completed it).

Still going back through some old hits as I load them back onto my new iPad - I forgot how awesome Bastion was, thoroughly addictive game, and it works so well on iOS with the short levels. A shame to see the art isn't quite retina res though.

Also have been playing a bit of Republique - I think this game is ok but it's kind of crushed under the weight of its own self-importance. So many audio logs and diaries everywhere - for a totalitarian regime they sure are bad at keeping their data safe. The actual sneaky gameplay is pretty good but you have to get through layers of crap to get at it.

PittaGAF

Excitement went from top to bottom as soon as I read it was card based.

Actually the card part is pretty well done...just think about them as 'skills'.
The whole game is pretty neat and there is a lot of strategy involved...too bad they went freemium.

Also, let's just point out how awesome is isometric graphics+terminators+tbs.

Next Rodeo game can't come soon enough.

awp69

Personally I love Out There (fighting for my personal GOTY this year, if not for Banner Saga and MAYBE Galactic Keep:Dice Wars) but thank you for pointing out about Capsule which I didn't know.
That shot is fantastic.

But Banner Saga is GLORIOUS! How could you consider anything else?!?!

I'm heavily leaning towards Banner Saga for my own GOTY, but there were a lot of great games this year.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Actually the card part is pretty well done...just think about them as 'skills'.
The whole game is pretty neat and there is a lot of strategy involved...too bad they went freemium.

Also, let's just point out how awesome is isometric graphics+terminators+tbs.

Next Rodeo game can't come soon enough.

Sorry, just a personal pet peeve. I can't enjoy a game that skeumorphs 'trading cards' into it for no reason other than to salivate physical card players.

That shot is fantastic.
Yeah, PC only. Actually it's from the dev of Canabalt
http://store.steampowered.com/app/303940/
It would be perfect for IOS though; I can only imagine it would be more atmospheric on iPad compared to a computer, since the game is portrayed through your vessel's radar screen

I'm heavily leaning towards Banner Saga for my own GOTY, but there were a lot of great games this year.
Galactic Keep is so so good. I have a thing for sci fi so that aspect puts it over Banner Saga for me. It's truly a labor of love

PittaGAF

It's probably mine too (I'm now waiting a bit to do a hard play through).
But I solved this #firstworldproblem choosing two separate GOTY.
One for original iOS games and another one for ports :p
Also...I have yet to play Sailor's Dream, so nothing is set yet :)

This was a GLORIOUS iOS gaming year anyway and even among 'minor' titles quality got really better.

PittaGAF

Yeah, PC only. Actually it's from the dev of Canabalt
http://store.steampowered.com/app/303940/
It would be perfect for IOS though; I can only imagine it would be more atmospheric on iPad compared to a computer, since the game is portrayed through your vessel's radar screen

Galactic Keep is so so good. I have a thing for sci fi so that aspect puts it over Banner Saga for me. It's truly a labor of love

As soon as I noticed it's from Cananbalt dev...I wrote him why it's not on iOS already.
Saw a video and felt in love...sounds are amazing.
Is the a story too? (The story and the endings is what really set Out There apart for me).

And yeah...GK is sooooooooo good.
Can't wait to see the whole picture, if you understand what I mean ;) (maybe soon).

But I'm not sure it will be out this year.

As soon as I noticed it's from Cananbalt dev...I wrote him why it's not on iOS already.
Saw a video and felt in love...sounds are amazing.
Is the a story too? (The story and the endings is what really set Out There apart for me).

And yeah...GK is sooooooooo good.
Can't wait to see the whole picture, if you understand what I mean ;) (maybe soon).

But I'm not sure it will be out this year.
Yes, there's an engimatic story that gradually unfolds. Told through logs, messages, and emails, each new destination reveals more of the narrative.

heringer

Finished Shadowrun. It was ok, but felt unfinished. I had more fun with The Shadow Sun, though I liked enough to buy Dragonfall when it comes out. Hopefully it's the better game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Finished Shadowrun. It was ok, but felt unfinished. I had more fun with The Shadow Sun, though I liked enough to buy Dragonfall when it comes out. Hopefully it's the better game.

Never seen anyone who thought otherwise, it's actually not uncommon to see people say they flat out didn't enjoy Shadowrun Returns and yet really liked Dragonfall.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

You know, I keep trying to start this and keep failing. That character creation bit is intimidating for a Shadowrun noob. Will get to it one of these days I'm sure.

PittaGAF

You know, I keep trying to start this and keep failing. That character creation bit is intimidating for a Shadowrun noob. Will get to it one of these days I'm sure.

If you managed to complete Baldur's Gate, SR will be walk in the park (it's pretty easy...maybe the only real challenge is the last fight, which is the best in the game too imho)...no matter how you create the character.
It's a nice game anyway, even if IMHO it drags along a bit too long (I would have cut 2-3 hours at the very least).

PittaGAF

Yes, there's an engimatic story that gradually unfolds. Told through logs, messages, and emails, each new destination reveals more of the narrative.

Sold!

But unfortunately the dev just answered me via twitter and it's wasn't what I really liked to hear (no plans at the moment, and apparently a huge effort...etc...usually when I get this answer the are no plans whatsoever).
Didn't feel that complicated but ehi, it's not may game. :(

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
So Galactic Keep mentioned.. thought oh shit.. it's out?

Nope. That shit's what 5 years in the making now?

PittaGAF

So Galactic Keep mentioned.. thought oh shit.. it's out?

Nope. That shit's what 5 years in the making now?

It's not out yet.
Some of us are testing it.
I left some impressions some time ago when I first tried the first build...if I recall well since there my second name is GLORIOUS and that's where the joke started (or was about paid advertising, I can't really remember).
Anyway what I played (and still play) is really, REALLY damn good.
I'm not sure it will be out by the end of the year because the dev is incredibly focused an every tiny detail (honestly even the alpha could have been published and still be more polished and complete than a TON of well considered games) but it's not that far away.
I think Q1 2015.

NervousXtian

It's not out yet.
Some of us are testing it.
I left some impressions some time ago when I first tried the first build...if I recall well since there my second name is GLORIOUS and that's where the joke started (or was about paid advertising, I can't really remember).
Anyway what I played (and still play) is really, REALLY damn good.
I'm not sure it will be out by the end of the year because the dev is incredibly focused an every tiny detail (honestly even the alpha could have been published and still be more polished and complete than a TON of well considered games) but it's not that far away.
I think Q1 2015.

The game looks awesome.. instabuy whenever it releases.

dock

Recently got into crossword gaming with Crux, with my GF and I both working together on the same puzzle.

However, we've had three crashes now eating all our progress on the puzzle. I wonder whether it's crashing while it's saving the puzzle to icloud?

Which crossword puzzle apps do you recommend?

(it's not a crossword puzzle, but we've been enjoying Bonza for almost a year now!)

dock

Sorry, just a personal pet peeve. I can't enjoy a game that skeumorphs 'trading cards' into it for no reason other than to salivate physical card players.

I can't stand this either. You can tell how much it is designed to provoke a response from a certain type of compulsive card-game player. Often they're just inventory items.

PittaGAF

O_O

I just found out that the makers of the original Puzzle Quest have announced a new game, Gems of War, for iOS and Android, with cross platform async besides the usual campaign!!!

Developing.

EDIT: It's free to play. Sigh.

heringer

I want to love Space Wolf, but it's soooo slow. Ugh...

It looks great, the tactical gameplay seem solid and it's very polished, but I can't stand how slow and laborious it feels. I like my tactical games to be snappy, the only exception to that rule is FFT and even that one isn't nowhere near as slow.

Apath

Not sure if it has been posted, but Hearthstone for the iPhone (and Android) has been delayed to 2015. Still can find no word on iPhone 6 Plus support either.

Matt Frost

Personally I love Out There (fighting for my personal GOTY this year, if not for Banner Saga

If you two place The Banner Saga on your GOTY throne or fighting for it, I should buy it.. even if I dont really like tactical RPGs?

Out There did nothing to me either. Found it very boring and repetitive.

Eh, I think it's alright. A bit too obtuse for it's own good sometimes, far too likely to screw yourself as well (he says, having spent at least 15 hours on it and never having completed it)

You two and I are not friends anymore :p xD

I would like to remind you that Omega expansion is imminent.

You're welcome :p

You are a beta tester, I know it... spill it :p

awp69

If you two place The Banner Saga on your GOTY throne or fighting for it, I should buy it.. even if I dont really like tactical RPGs?

Take a look at trailers and gameplay videos, there should be a ton of them out there. Has there been any SRPG that you've liked?

Banner Saga has a sweeping, epic story to along with it and a lot of Nordic lore. Plus some decision making that can cause things to go horribly wrong if you don't go right.

The animations and graphics are outstanding as well. Two very different story and time periods, but if you were to compare it to say, Shadowrun Returns, there's no comparison.

This is just an engrossing experience and a port done more that right.

That said, take a peek at some videos to see if it looks interesting to you. Never want to push a game on someone who may not enjoy it due to the genre.

And, well, I didn't like Out There, so that's a strike against my opinion. ;)

awp69

I want to love Space Wolf, but it's soooo slow. Ugh...

It looks great, the tactical gameplay seem solid and it's very polished, but I can't stand how slow and laborious it feels. I like my tactical games to be snappy, the only exception to that rule is FFT and even that one isn't nowhere near as slow.

I played a bit and enjoy it so far. Maybe I'm a bit more patient.

My only concern is how the F2P model pans out. Really wish they had taken the direction of Warhammer Quest and went premium.

Aesthet1c

Not sure if it has been posted, but Hearthstone for the iPhone (and Android) has been delayed to 2015. Still can find no word on iPhone 6 Plus support either.

That really bites. This is the main game I've been looking forward to playing on my phone.

Oh well, as long as it has async and cross-play between iOS and android when it releases I will be happy.

Think of it as part tactical RPG/part Oregon Trail. The fighting is tough and strategic and well animated, but the meat is the rest of the game: traveling, managing your resources, making decisions, facing the dire consequences of those decisions. The art style is just absolutely gorgeous

NervousXtian

I'm having way more fun with Rival Stars Basketball then I really should be I think.

It's F2P with energy time.. which blows.. and it's dual currency with pretty crappy payouts of the premium and it's card based.. but damn.. it's fun.

They need to make the timer less time to reload faster.. it's too slow.

Burger

Can someone help me identify a game?

It came out for iPhone ages ago. It was a sci-fi first person sort of thing, fighting zombie things with swords and guns (I think).

All I can remember was that it was janky as fuck, but massive. Like huge huge, but sort of looked like it was made by someone with Aspergers, the game was super deep. But super weird.

Anyone?

PittaGAF

You two and I are not friends anymore :p xD

You are a beta tester, I know it... spill it :p

I'm not a tester of Omega.
But I'm under the impression it will be here before Christmas (I think end of November).
As far as I know more ships, events, story and some more endings.
The only fault I can find in Out There (partially corrected with last update) is that it's a bit too difficult in the first part...they should hook you with the story a little earlier imho.
I guess many won't ever experience the tension looking for last Death Seed component while trying to stay alive in the middle of the war.

As for Banner Saga, it's outstanding imho (even if a tad too easy on normal to really appreciate the mechanics) but I love tbs.
It's a fantastic story told with gorgeous graphics and even more fantastic music, with cool tbs fights between a scene and another, plus choose your own adventure style choices (many of those really hard and with dire consequences).
It also did what King of Dragon Pass never did for me, despite being somewhat similar games.
On recent devices the port is great too.

awp69

Oh, and to emphasize just how much I love Banner Saga, I will be double dipping on Android the SECOND it's released. I must replay this game on a tablet!

heringer

It came out for iPhone ages ago. It was a sci-fi first person sort of thing, fighting zombie things with swords and guns (I think).

All I can remember was that it was janky as fuck, but massive. Like huge huge, but sort of looked like it was made by someone with Aspergers, the game was super deep. But super weird.

Anyone?
Mission Europa.

The sequel is in production, by the way.

awp69

Anyone?

I don't know but fighting zombies with swords? I'd be interested to know myself

EDIT: Ah, yes, Mission Europa. One funky game!

galvatron

I have been playing an unhealthy amount of adventure xpress. Really made the lines at Disney and Universal much easier to bear and my friend's two daughters were into playing it after they saw my fishbowl head armor.

I wish there was donate button as I don't want to buy the buffs, but Pik Pok deserves my money. The game seems plenty fair without payment and I've played for a long time and just started finding the need to grind at all. Payment coming when I finish up.

awp69

Off topic, but as a few of you know I've had major cellular data issues for almost a year with my iPhone that seems to be related to my iTunes account. (I currently have a work around to log out of the App Store whenever I off WiFi, but it's easy to forget).

They gave me a free upgrade from my 4S to a 5S over the summer. But since it's still unresolved, they're offering to let me pick something from the Apple Store up to $150-$200. I'd love an iPhone 6 but they can't even discount one for me.

Anyway, he first offered an iPod Nano, which I have no interest in.

So I thought I'd ask, is anyone here using Apple TV? Is it worth it for AirPlay seeing that most of the streaming options are already available via my game consoles?

I could be nice and let my wife get something like a Nano...but...we'll see.

Thought about seeing if they would stretch it to an iPad Mini, but those are getting so outdated I think that would be a poor choice even if they would.

galvatron

Off topic, but as a few of you know I've had major cellular data issues for almost a year with my iPhone that seems to be related to my iTunes account. (I currently have a work around to log out of the App Store whenever I off WiFi, but it's easy to forget).

They gave me a free upgrade from my 4S to a 5S over the summer. But since it's still unresolved, they're offering to let me pick something from the Apple Store up to $150-$200. I'd love an iPhone 6 but they can't even discount one for me.

Anyway, he first offered an iPod Nano, which I have no interest in.

So I thought I'd ask, is anyone here using Apple TV? Is it worth it for AirPlay seeing that most of the streaming options are already available via my game consoles?

I could be nice and let my wife get something like a Nano...but...we'll see.

Thought about seeing if they would stretch it to an iPad Mini, but those are getting so outdated I think that would be a poor choice even if they would.
Apple TV is selling you a bit short. Last I checked it was $100 with $25 itunes gift card at apple.com. Also, when I complained about my iPhone 6 plus coming late and not arriving in time for my cruise, they sent me a free Apple TV. The arrival date actually got moved up and I got the phone and Apple TV on the morning of my trip. Basically, they give out Apple TVs like candy...

The box itself is nice enough as is airplay, but I saw the new Amazon fire stick is also looking pretty beefy and its available for $20 to prime members.

In short, I'd aim higher with that kind of credit unless you're overseas where an Apple TV could cost a lot more.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Mission Europa.

The sequel is in production, by the way.

Oh neat, looks like he just started it too. I admired what he was going for in ME, it was very ambitious. I think I'm a fan of ambitious but ultimately failed or compromised failed projects. I was obsessed by Daikatana for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom