• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2014: We didn't even know this was releasing on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

awp69

Apple TV is selling you a bit short. Last I checked it was $100 with $25 itunes gift card at apple.com. Also, when I complained about my iPhone 6 plus coming late and not arriving in time for my cruise, they sent me a free Apple TV. The arrival date actually got moved up and I got the phone and Apple TV on the morning of my trip. Basically, they give out Apple TVs like candy...

The box itself is nice enough as is airplay, but I saw the new Amazon fire stick is also looking pretty beefy and its available for $20 to prime members.

In short, I'd aim higher with that kind of credit unless you're overseas where an Apple TV could cost a lot more.

Yeah, I hear ya.

Unfortunately my options under $200 are limited. Looks like the best I may be able to do is an iPod Touch.

They no longer seem to have them on their store but think I may see if they have any iPad 2 or iPad 3s, even refurbished, for my wife who won't care about the latest and greatest for gaming.

They still want $400 for the first iPad Air so figured might have more luck with a full, older iPad.

Corgi

Banned
finally got around to beat ch1 the silent age in one sitting lol. really good pacing and the puzzles are logical, although a bit easy. Wish there were more animations for interactions, but still a good time.

Think it took less than an hr to beat though, which makes me hesistant to spend $5 for ch2.

I mean in theory you pretty much are spending $5 for the whole game, but the perception problem here.

Is ch2 good story/gameplay wise though? World is pretty neat.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I have been playing an unhealthy amount of adventure xpress. Really made the lines at Disney and Universal much easier to bear and my friend's two daughters were into playing it after they saw my fishbowl head armor.

I wish there was donate button as I don't want to buy the buffs, but Pik Pok deserves my money. The game seems plenty fair without payment and I've played for a long time and just started finding the need to grind at all. Payment coming when I finish up.

Appreciate it, and glad to hear you are enjoying the game.

Before I clear space for WH Space Wolf, I have to ask:
- On a scale of Retry to Clash of Clans, how's the IAP?
- Are there timers? Dual currency?

awp69

Before I clear space for WH Space Wolf, I have to ask:
- On a scale of Retry to Clash of Clans, how's the IAP?
- Are there timers? Dual currency?

I'm not far in enough to judge, but really liking it so far. Apparently both currencies can be earned in-game. Still wish this should have been a premium game.

I hate timers but I've got so many awesome games lately that I'm hoping I can deal with it (by juggling other games while I wait).

It is strangely slow as each person/AI takes turns at times -- even with a fast forward button.

Otherwise, impressed so far. Just need to see when the F2P starts kicking in, although they say the game can be completed without IAPs.

Also, saw a couple of codes over on TA to give you a few cards and 1,000 credits each:
TARCADESOFT and SOFTCODE.

okno

Am I the only person who didn't fall completely head over heels in love with Adventure Xpress? I found the game to be quite dull.

Matt Frost

Retry is a lot of fun and a "freemium game done right" one. Its generous and no timers. I am going to enjoy this one. Rovio, this is the way. Wish there was a coin doubler permanent IAP.

Think of it as part tactical RPG/part Oregon Trail. The fighting is tough and strategic and well animated, but the meat is the rest of the game: traveling, managing your resources, making decisions, facing the dire consequences of those decisions. The art style is just absolutely gorgeous

I like the last part of the description, and if you like it too.... bought.

Has there been any SRPG that you've liked?

I havent played many except Fire Emblem and Front Mission back on the SNES era. In fact, except a few newer RPGs (the Bethesda FallOut series and the Elder Scrolls series, Bastion, ....) I havent played classic RPGs since Final Fantasy VII, X and the classic SNES golden era of RPGs (Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Zelda, ...) so I dont have much experience with the genre at all. Or liked one of the two I played a lot. A no, not a strike, but a foul mark xD :p

I'm not a tester of Omega.
But I'm under the impression it will be here before Christmas (I think end of November).
As far as I know more ships, events, story and some more endings.
The only fault I can find in Out There (partially corrected with last update) is that it's a bit too difficult in the first part...they should hook you with the story a little earlier imho.
I guess many won't ever experience the tension looking for last Death Seed component while trying to stay alive in the middle of the war.

The difficulty is brutal, but it also adds to the experience. A walk in the park could make it really boring. But I agree with the story coming a little earlier to hook players before the difficulty turns them off. But if they persist, its a treat. The music is GLORIOUS to me.

As for Banner Saga, it's outstanding imho (even if a tad too easy on normal to really appreciate the mechanics) but I love tbs.
It's a fantastic story told with gorgeous graphics and even more fantastic music, with cool tbs fights between a scene and another, plus choose your own adventure style choices (many of those really hard and with dire consequences).
It also did what King of Dragon Pass never did for me, despite being somewhat similar games.
On recent devices the port is great too.

Another solid suggestion here. This is going to be the most expensive iOS game I ever bought.

Am I the only person who didn't fall completely head over heels in love with Adventure Xpress? I found the game to be quite dull.

I loved it at first but eventually wore itself down. The game just became stale with little variation, and didn't improve upon the Darkin experience which on top of that is a premium app with NO IAP. So Darkin won the battle.

Now I am looking at Super Glyph Quest... anyone can vouch for it? Its good?

And Vektor, the game More_Badass found the other day, has been released:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/vektor-1.0/id921688820?mt=8

I'm not far in enough to judge, but really liking it so far. Apparently both currencies can be earned in-game. Still wish this should have been a premium game.

I hate timers but I've got so many awesome games lately that I'm hoping I can deal with it (by juggling other games while I wait).

It is strangely slow as each person/AI takes turns at times -- even with a fast forward button.

Otherwise, impressed so far. Just need to see when the F2P starts kicking in, although they say the game can be completed without IAPs.

Also, saw a couple of codes over on TA to give you a few cards and 1,000 credits each:
TARCADESOFT and SOFTCODE.
Awp, you should check out Ironclad Tactics on Android. It's another card-based tactical strategy game, but not turn based. It's a PC port; I don't know how the transition to mobile was, but the PC game is awesome and very challenging

Shaneus

I'm not in love with it, but I'm right into it because it's a match 3 that doesn't feel like it's too heavily-weighted on IAP. But that's just me.

I need to institute a rule: If I crave IAP, I should just play Dungeon Raid again. I'd kill for some kind of sequel/update to that.

Edit: Darkin is a match 3? Anyone want to fill me in on why it's awesome? I'd kill for a solid one that has no IAP in it at all. From memory, the last one that did that well was WarGames.

gblues

Banned
Words With Friends just got an overhaul as a new app, "New Words With Friends." Better UI, iOS 8 features, and if you purchased WWF Pro, it automatically disables ads. I like it quite a bit.

Think I'm about done with Castaway Paradise. The timers are redonkulous, and there's just too little to do in the meantime.

awp69

Awp, you should check out Ironclad Tactics on Android. It's another card-based tactical strategy game, but not turn based. It's a PC port; I don't know how the transition to mobile was, but the PC game is awesome and very challenging

I have tried it and it is indeed really good. Haven't played the PC version but the touch translation works well.

Didn't realize it was lane based like PVZ but the cards and other factors make it a lot more challenging and interesting to play. Good story too.

Unfortunately, with sooooo many games, I haven't devoted as much time as I would like to it. I haven't even hit the game unlock yet (the "demo" portion is pretty generous to give you a feel for the game).

Corgi

Banned
Yeah, turns out it was a soft launch. I didn't realize that when I posted about it

---
So that Why IOS Rocks reboot thread is currently at 33 pages in Word and I only just reached Puzzles. It should be ready by Friday

suggestion. for games you own, make sure they work on ios8

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Ok does anyone here play "Bloons TD 5 HD"?

I have Googled the entire Internet to find the stupid way to use special abilities. I do NOT see an option.

Old game I know, but one of my faves!

Brakara

That really bites. This is the main game I've been looking forward to playing on my phone.

Oh well, as long as it has async and cross-play between iOS and android when it releases I will be happy.

It will be cross-platform, but Hearthstone is not an async game.

Could you go into more detail as to what is wrong?

Can't wait for The Sailor's Dream, by the way.
If you're part of Simogo, which I seem to remember.

It's just clear that it was rushed out, and I find that very disrespectful to both users and developers, to be honest.

Matt Frost

Now I am looking at Super Glyph Quest... anyone can vouch for it? Its good?

Anyone?

Cool. Saw it's freemium. Is it an unlock? Ads? Currencies?

Its freemium so I expect the worst. I havent downloaded it yet. Maybe I will never will. Have plenty of awesome premium endless runners with me, no need for a cash grab.

Minsc

Gold Member

I can't vouch for it, but the first version was very well received, and it's a sequel to that with expanded gameplay elements and not F2P trash, so it is starting out well enough. You could try to find the thread at Touch Arcade, there's probably a few impressions in it there.

Raytow

TLJ is not in the european/spanish appstore wtf apple.
Never finished the PC version as I had some audio troubles at the time of release, not to mention the dub was horrid to say the least, was looking forward to finally play it without any problems, so much for that...

Matt Frost

Woah Dave! a game I have been anticipating for a long time comes out tonight at midnight wherever you live. From what I know is an action arena platformer with a twist. I will be sure about it tonight.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/woah-dave!/id815292584?mt=8

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upXGd68dBtQ

I can't vouch for it, but the first version was very well received, and it's a sequel to that with expanded gameplay elements and not F2P trash, so it is starting out well enough. You could try to find the thread at Touch Arcade, there's probably a few impressions in it there.

Uggghhh that place, a site that supports and promotes freemium and clones... no thanks but I will buy it tonight along with Woah Dave! and The Banner Saga.I will buy it tonight along with Woah Dave! and The Banner Saga.

Woah Dave! a game I have been anticipating for a long time comes out tonight at midnight wherever you live. From what I know is an action arena platformer with a twist. I will be sure about it tonight.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/woah-dave!/id815292584?mt=8

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upXGd68dBtQ
It's also a PS Vita port

Also check out Obslashin. It's pretty solid and reminiscent of Binding of Isaac
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obslashin/id929327628

TLJ is not in the european/spanish appstore wtf apple.
Never finished the PC version as I had some audio troubles at the time of release, not to mention the dub was horrid to say the least, was looking forward to finally play it without any problems, so much for that...
Just Australia and NZ for the moment : update

Minsc

Gold Member
Uggghhh that place, a site that supports and promotes freemium and clones... no thanks but I will buy it tonight along with Woah Dave! and The Banner Saga.

Well I meant the forums, where you can use your own judgement to weigh the impressions of the people writing them based on what they say. I don't have any issues filtering out the information there, it's generally obvious when a poster is giving an impression I don't value, and strangely enough, it's generally the opposite of what you say, they really nail F2P apps with IAP in their forums pretty viciously, I'd say more aggressively than here even. The site itself isn't what I meant, just the forums for a little bit of impressions which should be better than nothing, most of the time anyway.

Had to reset my phone again to clear the Other space, so I just decided to reduce my games count down to the essentials
bIIqoy1.jpg

Matt Frost

Well I meant the forums, where you can use your own judgement to weigh the impressions of the people writing them based on what they say. I don't have any issues filtering out the information there, it's generally obvious when a poster is giving an impression I don't value, and strangely enough, it's generally the opposite of what you say, they really nail F2P apps with IAP in their forums pretty viciously, I'd say more aggressively than here even. The site itself isn't what I meant, just the forums for a little bit of impressions which should be better than nothing, most of the time anyway.

Sorry, my bad. I heard the name and really had trembles (in the bad way). I have had it with the front page and their freemium supporting role. They sure arent helping shape a better future like all the other gaming sites are doing. They just want money and dont care at all about anything else. But the forums are great, lots of useful information there. And a lot of great users. Sorry for the confusion.

It's also a PS Vita port

Also check out Obslashin. It's pretty solid and reminiscent of Binding of Isaac
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obslashin/id929327628

Its free to try so why not? Thanks for the recommendation.

PittaGAF

I hate to say this, because I do not like even the sight of all the usual freemium trappings...but Gems of War (played about an hour) has that old and nice Puzzle Quest feeling that even PQ2 didn't really give me.
Fast fights, many gems to match, items to use, an added party.
Very slick app.
Why it's not premium, why?????

I'm really enjoying 40K Space Wolf. The closest thing to Dawn of War on IOS. Finally tactical Warhammer game. Well there's Space Hulk, but that's more of a board game style than Space Wolf

I hate to say this, because I do not like even the sight of all the usual freemium trappings...but Gems of War (played about an hour) has that old and nice Puzzle Quest feeling that even PQ2 didn't really give me.
Fast fights, many gems to match, items to use, an added party.
Very slick app.
Why it's not premium, why?????
Well the devs of Puzzle Quest made Gems of War

chris121580

I find it incredibly disturbing that Free to Play games seem to be the future of iOS. This trend is the worst. Every Wednesday I go over to the Touch Arcade forums to see what is coming out tonight and I swear that more than 75% of the threads on the first page consist of games that are free to play. I find that ridiculous. Let me support you and your company by buying your game outright. The fact that this is just becoming expected anymore is awful.

Matt Frost

Another free to play match-3 fighting game has soft-launched on the Canadian AppStore, this time made by Cookiebit and published by Everplay. Have high hopes for this one as they dont usually include timers and they made the awesome games 1001 Attempts (FREE, PAID WITH NO IAP) and Leaping Legend (FREE).

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/adventure-age/id895227702?mt=8

screen568x568.jpeg

Hey! Skullduggery and LIMBO are on sale for $2! I'd been on the fence about Skullduggery but it's out of the wish list and on my phone now.

Limbo is well worth the 2$, a unique moody platformer that last about 4 hours and feels fresh throughout the game. One of the best games out of the platforming genre.

Minsc

Gold Member
I find it incredibly disturbing that Free to Play games seem to be the future of iOS. This trend is the worst. Every Wednesday I go over to the Touch Arcade forums to see what is coming out tonight and I swear that more than 75% of the threads on the first page consist of games that are free to play. I find that ridiculous. Let me support you and your company by buying your game outright. The fact that this is just becoming expected anymore is awful.

While there is a lot (and for a very apparent reason, the market prefers them), I feel there has just been so many game in the past few weeks releasing, that you could probably coast a month off them alone, and you have more great stuff lined up this week and down the road. So even if you hate freemium games, I think there's enough releasing to keep you happy, unless you have very specific tastes.

So...I think Out There is growing on me. While I still feel the actual mechanics are kind of boring, the real strength (besides the art style) is the element of discovery. It's very compelling to discover a new ship or new race, new tech, a new event. I just wish there was more variety in the planet art

I've come to accept F2P. There are games that do it well (Retry, Space Wolf, Puzzle to the Center of the Earth) and then you have the Clash of Clan ripoffs, Trials Frontier, and the rest. Luckily there are still many great paid games and free games that aren't F2P ripoff. You just have to look.

But fuck timers. You want me to play your game...so you stop me from playing your game. Makes perfect sense

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Limbo is well worth the 2$, a unique moody platformer that last about 4 hours and feels fresh throughout the game. One of the best games out of the platforming genre.
Also worth noting that they've done incredible job translating controls to touch screen. Better than literally any other action game that was ported from consoles to phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom