• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

Matt Frost

Finally unlocked The Totem. And now I am addicted to Crossy Road all over again... time to buy PSY... :D

New as in I got in via Test Pilot :)

As for that skull thing with the dots, try luring an animal across it and see what happens ;)

Awesome, will try that soon, thanks!

I'm thinking what games have been pulled from the App Store so far?

- Flappy Bird
- Level 22
- BioShock
- Ghost Trick
- SpaceChem
- Project 83113

What others?

Darkin was pulled as well. Sad thing :(

awp69

Most of EA's older titles as far as I know are just delisted from stores but not removed.

Ok. Wasn't sure what kind of list was being put together. For instance, Project 83113 is also still available via download history.

Edit: Oh, crap, I was wrong Project 83113 is no longer in my history. I said that because I literally just downloaded it a few weeks ago. Guess it has a permanent home on my Mini now!

Edit 2: Probably would take a while to go through the EA games, but just looked for Dead Space and it's also gone from my history. So are Mirror's Edge and Flight Control. So sadly, I think the EA games are completely removed.

So if nothing interests me this week I'm thinking of buying some new games. I have $8 in App Store credit and deciding between a mix of these games:

•Altos adventure
•Hopiko
•Geometry Wars 3
•Card Crawl
•Horizon chase
•Race the sun
•Divide by sheep

awp69

So if nothing interests me this week I'm thinking of buying some new games. I have $8 in App Store credit and deciding between a mix of these games:

•Altos adventure
•Hopiko
•Geometry Wars 3
•Card Crawl
•Horizon chase
•Race the sun
•Divide by sheep

Wow. That's a tough list to choose from. I would definitely grab Horizon Chase since that's on sale for a buck.

All the rest are really good too. My personal favorites would be HoPiKo, Geometry Wars 3 and Card Crawl. But can't go wrong with any of those.

•Altos adventure
•Hopiko
•Geometry Wars 3
•Card Crawl
•Horizon chase
•Race the sun
•Divide by sheep
That's a damn good list of games

Personally, I'd say my favorites are Card Crawl, Hopiko, and Divide By Sheep

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

•Altos adventure
•Hopiko
•Geometry Wars 3
•Card Crawl
•Horizon chase
•Race the sun
•Divide by sheep

Definitely pick Horizon Chase up. One of my all-time iOS favorites.

Dust is coming to IOS! Yet another awesome PC port
http://youtu.be/UNOFJK8KnOo
"Very soon"
Hopefully that means this week
dustearlycombo7mbgoj4i.gif

Metroidvania hack-n-slash action RPG with fantastic animations and fluid combat. You guys are going to love it.

awp69

Metroidvania hack-n-slash action RPG with fantastic animations and fluid combat. You guys are going to love it.

Have the Xbox 360 version of Dust. Fun game! Actually need to get back to finishing it one of these days.

"Very soon"

Played it twice on PC but I really hope people who haven't played it yet buy it for iOS, it's a great game.

Also, I think I'm going with Hopiko, Card Crawl, and Horizon chase. That will bring me to exactly $8. :)

PittaGAF

"Very soon"

Not sure about the setting but now this is what I would really like to play right now...after months of turn based games I could really play an action platform one!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!

EDIT: Just read some reviews....please be good, please be good, please be good.
Then port Ori next P

Matt Frost

iOS 9 biggest feature: App Thinning, is now back and can be used by developers, Hurray! :D

Dust is coming to IOS! Yet another awesome PC port... Metroidvania hack-n-slash action RPG with fantastic animations and fluid combat. You guys are going to love it.

This looks great, and according to Twitter and Pitta twit, it releases this week! Also: iCloud, GameCenter... and controller support coming in a future update! YES!

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNOFJK8KnOo&feature=youtu.be

killercow

Not sure about the setting but now this is what I would really like to play right now...after months of turn based games I could really play an action platform one!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!

EDIT: Just read some reviews....please be good, please be good, please be good.
Then port Ori next P

I was just imagining Ori on an iPad Pro, that game would be so gorgeous on such a screen :)

Matt Frost

Land Sliders is awesome, it has so much going on for it, and there is a mystery to be solved with all those coordinates having usb drives hidden containing clues. Also, there is a new Twitter account that works like one of the characters: leveling up. When it reaches the first 100, it will reveal a clue and so on until someone solves it. So cool.

Google docs with all info gathered so far: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FfUGUnsYSXvWxyCEnBc0q4Q1Df2cwRadpF4pY14ujoA/edit?pli=1

Twitter account to follow: https://twitter.com/tgulrintych

PittaGAF

I was just imagining Ori on an iPad Pro, that game would be so gorgeous on such a screen :)

Ori is one of those games I would REALLY like to play (I actually played a bit on a friend PC).....not sure if current iOS devices are ready for that...but I would really love it.

Shaneus

Land Sliders is awesome, it has so much going on for it, and there is a mystery to be solved with all those coordinates having usb drives hidden containing clues. Also, there is a new Twitter account that works like one of the characters: leveling up. When it reaches the first 100, it will reveal a clue and so on until someone solves it. So cool.

Google docs with all info gathered so far: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FfUGUnsYSXvWxyCEnBc0q4Q1Df2cwRadpF4pY14ujoA/edit?pli=1

Twitter account to follow: https://twitter.com/tgulrintych
Everyone follow this account! Once they get 100, something will be unlocked (I think).

colinp

Banned
The dev of Dust is a long time GAF member. He's a great guy and it's a GREAT game.

I'm curious to see see how it plays on the iPad but I really can't imagine it being the optimal way to play.

killercow

Ori is one of those games I would REALLY like to play (I actually played a bit on a friend PC).....not sure if current iOS devices are ready for that...but I would really love it.

I've finished it and it's amazing. I cried a bit during the game and I still think it's the most beautiful piece of video game art I've ever seen.

awp69

Ori has some sections that are incredibly difficult even with a physical controller (there's a chase with rising water that I died dozens of times). That precision, special moves, etc. would be, IMO, impossible to replicate with touch controls.

Probably my overall GoTY but don't think it would work well on mobile.

killercow

Ori has some sections that are incredibly difficult even with a physical controller (there's a chase with rising water that I died dozens of times). That precision, special moves, etc. would be, IMO, impossible to replicate with touch controls.

Yeah those "escape" sequences would be tricky. MFi support would be a must.

PittaGAF

I've finished it and it's amazing. I cried a bit during the game and I still think it's the most beautiful piece of video game art I've ever seen.

Yeah those "escape" sequences would be tricky. MFi support would be a must.

I still would love to see it on iPad (not sure if graphically feasible), maybe even with some sequences eased for mobile.
But sometimes I think that if I was able to beat last Aquaria boss on iPad, I could play anything :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Ori is like the Dark Souls of platforming at some points in the game. I would not touch it with a 10ft thumb if you know what I mean.

killercow

Ori is like the Dark Souls of platforming at some points in the game. I would not touch it with a 10ft thumb if you know what I mean.

Well I didn't think it was that hard, it was challenging at times but pretty easy too towards the end. The "Dark Souls" title should probably go to "Super Meat Boy" ;)

PittaGAF

I didn't play Ori enough to say but if you all say it's not suitable for touch, it's true.

I really hope Dust will scratch that itch tough.

And IMHO the AppStore is really lacking gorgeous recent and modern 'story' platformers besides the usual ones (Aquaria, Limbo and the immortal Swordigo).

They should do more of them!!!

I don't think Noogy would bring Dust to mobile if he didn't feel the touch controls could work well. He said he worked on the port for five months and that he's really pleased with the touch controls turned out

And it's not just a platformer; it's a full-on action RPG/Metroidvania

PittaGAF

I don't think Noogy would bring Dust to mobile if he didn't feel the touch controls could work well. He said he worked on the port for five months and that he's really pleased with the touch controls turned out

And it's not just a platformer; it's a full-on action RPG/Metroidvania

I read his tweet too, so I'm pretty hopeful!!!

As he is a GAFer...he is certainly welcome to participate in this thread!!!

awp69

Well I didn't think it was that hard, it was challenging at times but pretty easy too towards the end. The "Dark Souls" title should probably go to "Super Meat Boy" ;)

The thing with Ori is that some of those challenging sections are long - - like maybe 3-5 minutes. That may not sound long, but 3-5 minutes of split second decisions is hard. And you could get close to the end of one and screw up, only to start all over again.

They also require different mechanics than just jumping back and forth.

PittaGAF

The problem is that even if you have a back up, you can't restore purchase if a game is pulled.

I think Apple should chime in and change many things to prevent this (games should never be gone from purchase history and restore purchase should always work...there is no money involved in that) but to be honest, it strikes me that many 1 man dev support and update games since YEARS while triple A publisher do not.
(Everyone should remember that SE statement that 'this has been broken and cannot be fixed' till one random guy in internet changed a txt file inside a directory and a game magically worked again).

It's easy to blame Apple breaking stuff with new iOS but I do not really think it's the case, not at this level.

As far as I know Apple, when changes API, usually give a 2 or 1 full year advance notice.

I think the real problem, which affects mostly big developers, is the use of middleware that doesn't get updated and if it does, it requires change of coding and big publisher aren't willing to spend money on 'old not profitable anymore' titles...and so, to prevent rage and customer care bombing...they simply screw actual customers pulling their games.

Truth is always in the middle, but if it's so hard, some lonely indie devs must be really some coding monsters because their games still works after 1-2 iOS upgrades.

So while Apple imho SHOULD REALLY stand up...even more because all this is making his walled garden a bit less trustworthy and will hamper sales in the end....dev and especially big publishers should do more efforts to earn buyer trust.
And here we are even talking about 'pricey' (for AppStore standards) games.

On consoles this isn't a problem because they are more or less the same between initial dev kits to end of life.
And on Steam/Windows isn't really either, because games just install maybe unsupported old apis to work and that's it (maybe exposing you to some threats and filling your PC with crap, but that's always been so).
Both aren't feasible scenarios in the mobile space, where new hardware and new features are mandatory each year, so it's a ever evolving fluid platform where even publishers must adapt if they want their slice of the pie.

I think it's a common experience for everybody here to consider trustworthy in the App Store many more indie devs than many triple A publishers.

The problem is that even if you have a back up, you can't restore purchase if a game is pulled.

I think Apple should chime in and change many things to prevent this (games should never be gone from purchase history and restore purchase should always work...there is no money involved in that) but to be honest, it strikes me that many 1 man dev support and update games since YEARS while triple A publisher do not.

I think it's a common experience for everybody here to consider trustworthy in the App Store many more indie devs than many triple A publishers.
Yeah, it's a point I keep bringing up in the threads regarding this issue

It's really shows how much care (or lack of) that AAA publishers have for mobile games when I have indie games that still work years after release, that get updated on the day of iOS 9 came out so there wouldn't be any issues

It's a shame that the AAA actions stain the entire platform when indie devs tend to keep their games working fine

PittaGAF

Yeah, it's a point I keep bringing up in the threads regarding this issue

It's really shows how much care (or lack of) that AAA publishers have for mobile games when I have indie games that still work years after release, that get updated on the day of iOS 9 came out so there wouldn't be any issues

It's a shame that the AAA actions stain the entire platform when indie devs tend to keep their games working fine

To add to that...just to show Apple doesn't always like to break things around....I have games not updated since iOS 7 that still perfectly works.
Actually, some works even better than the updated ones (Battle of the Bulge, I'm looking at you).

All of those games are from indie devs that probably struggle to keep their families fed instead of going around in huge offices with all the latest hardware around like triple A ones.

Personally I do not even have a backlog...I buy, play, complete and delete everything but some games...but this still pisses me off.

Matt Frost

I have one game app that withstand everything that comes at it: new iPhone's, new iOS versions and still works perfectly as it were released yesterday. And is still on 1.0, never updated. It is Mini Dash, from Chillingo. So, from my point of view Apple has nothing to do with it. They have guidelines that if developers follow, apps never break. Is up to the developer to follow them... and I guess most companies like EA and such never follows. I also keep all the games I liked on my PC iTunes. And I never buy games from such developers (except one or two, and the ones who pulls apps I never buy anything from them ever again), only indies for me because they are the ones who pour passion and love (and blood sweat and tears) into their games, and keep them updated (except ustwo). They also come with the most unique and lovely ideas. Also, like Pitta, I almost dont have a backlog, just a few games that I will be sad if I complete them (BADLAND, Mini Dash, Tetrobot, Super Happy Fun Block, HoPiKo). I finish a ton of games, with a 16Gb iPhone 6 I can't afford to keep them. But it is really bad for you guys. Big companies should start respecting the platform more.

PittaGAF

So apparently the whole 'games disappearing from purchase list' drama has been put to rest.

It's just a bug, according to Tweetbot dev.

If you put your game (pulled) on sale in just one country in the world, it's back for everybody in their purchase history list.

So probably it's just a matter of time before all those games returns.

Still, this doesn't change the fact that many triple A publisher pull their games from the AppStore in the first place to keep up with coding because the game is broken...or to never return like some Capcom ones.

awp69

So apparently the whole 'games disappearing from purchase list' drama has been put to rest.

It's just a bug, according to Tweetbot dev.

If you put your game (pulled) on sale in just one country in the world, it's back for everybody in their purchase history list.

So probably it's just a matter of time before all those games returns.

Still, this doesn't change the fact that many triple A publisher pull their games from the AppStore in the first place to keep up with coding because the game is broken...or to never return like some Capcom ones.

Also doesn't stop devs from fully pulling games on their own. I still think regardless of whether small devs can't afford the yearly fee or something else happens, Apple should be able to afford room on servers to keep them in history. Even if it is something like an expiration of licensed materials like Star Wars, I think that only restricts devs from future use. It doesn't mean that if someone bought a game they should no longer be able to access it.

Matt Frost

Also doesn't stop devs from fully pulling games on their own. I still think regardless of whether small devs can't afford the yearly fee or something else happens, Apple should be able to afford room on servers to keep them in history. Even if it is something like an expiration of licensed materials like Star Wars, I think that only restricts devs from future use. It doesn't mean that if someone bought a game they should no longer be able to access it.

I would like to see an article about that matter explaining user rights regarding purchase history, your rights when you buy an app, what are you agreeing when new changes are made... hope to see one...

awp69

I would like to see an article about that matter explaining user rights regarding purchase history, your rights when you buy an app, what are you agreeing when new changes are made... hope to see one...

I'm sure they have their asses covered in the EULA. But it's just good customer service and allowing people to have confidence in their purchases. Server space is dirt cheap. Apple may need to change their agreements with publishers to put in wording that gives them the right to keep their apps available, but I think it would be the right thing to do.

I'm almost positive that digital games on Xbox Live or PSN never are removed from being able to download even if delisted. Don't see why Apple can't do the same.

Matt Frost

I'm sure they have their asses covered in the EULA. But it's just good customer service and allowing people to have confidence in their purchases. Server space is dirt cheap. Apple may need to change their agreements with publishers to put in wording that gives them the right to keep their apps available, but I think it would be the right thing to do.

I'm almost positive that digital games on Xbox Live or PSN never are removed from being able to download even if delisted. Don't see why Apple can't do the same.

Yeah you are right. Apple could take a fraction off the 100 dollars they charge developers and buy some storage with that. So true. I believe that's the case for PS4, games never get delisted... but sometimes, I think Apple doesn't really care about gaming at all.

killercow

That's not true. In every contract where there's a "Digital Locker" (a movie, music, games) involved, the right-holder reserves the right to erase a game from the user's locker. They usually have to send a notice to the platform holder and there's a minimum amount of time during which the user will be informed and/or before the content is erased. Example: PT on PS4.
A movie on your iTunes account can also be deleted the same way. The usual "guaranteed period" during which you'll always have access to it is two years in the movie industry. I've seen a number of contract about those ;)
In the end, that type of thing is common in and it seems like the right-holders don't want to change that. It's more concerning here because games are disappearing without notice and a huge amount of them are delisted. That's not something that you often see in other areas of the entertainment business.

awp69

That's not true. In every contract where there's a "Digital Locker" (a movie, music, games) involved, the right-holder reserves the right to erase a game from the user's locker. They usually have to send a notice to the platform holder and there's a minimum amount of time during which the user will be informed and/or before the content is erased. Example: PT on PS4.
A movie on your iTunes account can also be deleted the same way. The usual "guaranteed period" during which you'll always have access to it is two years in the movie industry. I've seen a number of contract about those ;)
In the end, that type of thing is common in and it seems like the right-holders don't want to change that. It's more concerning here because games are disappearing without notice and a huge amount of them are delisted. That's not something that you often see in other areas of the entertainment business.

Well, then that sucks. And maybe that's something the industry looks into changing as more and more goes digital.

Matt Frost

^^ Fantastic puzzler, well worth the 1$ asking price...

And in some Land Sliders related news, their twitter account reached 100 users! :D And as for me, I found the puzzle skull again but only two baddies to lure into the trap... needed a third one to join the party... oh well, next time...

Top Bottom