• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

This is cool
1UzAipI.jpg
So Horizon Chase, Badland, Impossible Road...any other mobile-console ports?

Matt Frost

Okay, I think I'm going to buy Horizon, Out There and Tales From Outer Space. iOS is going to make me broke.

Awesome choices, my favorite 3 games from that sale. Fourth is... if you like block sliding puzzles, Blockwick 2 is one of the best around, normally sells for 5$. For 1$, is a must buy as well.

RM8

These games on sale for a dollar are actually ~$0.29 USD here in Mexico, that's pretty awesome.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I owned Horizon Chase already and I honestly found it to be a steal for 3 bucks, damn 99c is simply criminal. It's awesome, my only complaint is that it still doesn't support cloud cross-saves and that in-game leaderboards are a Facebook only thing.... meaning I can't compare a thing with my 300+ GC friends which is too bad.

I've grabbed Legend of Grimrock and I'm loving it, I briefly tried it on pc but man portability is king here and the touch UI is great. They've done a great job with the port and put together the best of PC gaming (autosaves+save/load anywhere) and mobile (cloud cross-saves, well thought out touch-only UI and optional gyroscopic camera functionality).

Also bought Tengami (didn't fire it up yet) and Sorcery! 3. I wish the other two went on sale but it's been more than a year since the first one has actually been on sale and I don't feel like putting down $10 for the two right now with my backlog... I wonder if it makes sense starting from Chapter 3 like the game's blurb on the store suggests. Opinions on the matter?

Sorcery 3 is enjoyable as a standalone and is easily the most expansive of the series (there are seven bosses and on my first playthrough, I only found 3 and only defeated 2).

But the fullest best experience is starting from the beginning. All your choices, items, and knowledge carry over and your experience can change drastically based on those things. The consequences aren't minor things and events from 1 can haunt you in 3

I started 3 cursed by an insidious god, with barely any gold, very few supplies, a low base health, had several magical relics and items, a nice arsenal of weaponry, and some useful spells. All those variables and many others could have been very different

okno

All these amaZing games coming out and I'm playing one thing obsessively....

Four Letters by PikPok. The game is stunningly addicting, and I can't put it down. I've finally gotten to the point where I score a minimum of 100 and just got my best score of 144. Still can't get the achievement of 15 quick words in a row, but I'm almost there. Have a long way to go to get all the achievements, but I'm at least at 60% lexicon. Haven't played this game since the beta, but it has hooked me all over again.

Can't say enough about how much I love it.

awp69

Warhammer: Deathwatch is on sale for $2.99. As Pitta would say, it's a GLORIOUS turn-based strategy game with a creepy Alien like vibe. And if you didn't already know that, you've been living under a rock or not reading the most important thread on GAF.

One of the best games of the year IMO.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
All these amaZing games coming out and I'm playing one thing obsessively....

Four Letters by PikPok. The game is stunningly addicting, and I can't put it down. I've finally gotten to the point where I score a minimum of 100 and just got my best score of 144. Still can't get the achievement of 15 quick words in a row, but I'm almost there. Have a long way to go to get all the achievements, but I'm at least at 60% lexicon. Haven't played this game since the beta, but it has hooked me all over again.

Can't say enough about how much I love it.

Glad to hear you are liking it. One of our smaller titles with only a few million downloads, but amongst our own titles I've personally played the most.

If you haven't switched up to it yet, you might finding swiping faster than tapping which might help your score a little.

Okay, wow, just discovered an awesome hidden gem (got a 4.5 from Shaun at TA but not much else)

The Last Warlock - $3.99, has IAP to unlock things early but is completely unnecessary to enjoy the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwAtRCuL3U
It's a tactical RPG with an emphasis on summoning creatures and strategic freedom

What kind of freedom?
In the other game, I summoned a huge Hydra and was one point away from winning, only to be surprised that my foe took magically control over that thing and started attacking my own creatures with it while bringing his warlock to safety
Last night I eluded my opponents guards by riding a Pegasus over the moat, then blew the roof off his castle and summoned a zombie inside his castle. Then I staged a frontal assault while the zombie (which had auto-resurrected after being killed by guards) released a bunch of neutral monsters inside his castle to attack his guards from behind. It was the coolest thing I've ever done in a tactical RPG, and I can't wait to try the same level with a different strategy.
You can destroy walls, smash things to find materials, set fires to create largely uncontrollable natural barriers, create trenches to give yourself the high ground, and more. Wild animals wander around minding their own business, but you can give them a solid thwack upside the head to earn some health-replenishing food and materials for crafting. Every scenario is a bit different, of course. The second main mission starts you in a jail and tasks you with escaping, so you'll need to change your tactics some, but there are always a ton of ways to use the environment to your advantage. Naturally, the enemies will do the same, up to and including crafting their own goodies from the precious materials the level offers up. Part of the strategy as you go along is in claiming ground as quickly as possible so that the enemy doesn't have the time to bulk up. You'll have to decide if that's worth rushing past any secrets that might be found along the way.

The animations are a bit janky, but that doesn't matter. It's a tactical RPG with height and destructible environments and destructible terrain, and it controls really well, and there's a lot of depth. And has multiplayer with AI bots too

Check this one out, guys

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Don't think I have posted about Into the Dead for a while, but we've been continuing to support it over the last couple of years.

We just released a fun update based around a black comedy horror film which just got released in the US today, Deathgasm. We've included weapons from the film in the game and a body armour bonus.

dr_766x400_01-750x392.png

Hoping the film can do well also, as it was made locally and its great when NZ stuff can get traction internationally. It is available in the US via streaming from the links below and in limited theatres. Check out the trailer here.

iTunes - http://apple.co/1VsIe7V
Amazon Video - https://amzn.com/B015SK9XKY
Google Play - http://bit.ly/1OcJLe2
PlayStation - http://bit.ly/1QPqjkY
Xbox Entertainment - http://bit.ly/1MNZiOe
VUDU - http://bit.ly/1hfYwxS
Vimeo - http://bit.ly/1L1dM9x

PittaGAF

Warhammer: Deathwatch is on sale for $2.99. As Pitta would say, it's a GLORIOUS turn-based strategy game with a creepy Alien like vibe. And if you didn't already know that, you've been living under a rock or not reading the most important thread on GAF.

One of the best games of the year IMO.

Seconded....if you want to see everything it's about an 80 hours affair too.
Multiplayer WAS imminent and submitted...but iOS 9 broke GC for Rodeo too...so it's pending :(
People might want to know the game will be out on Steam too 20 October, with enhanced graphics (those realtime shadows are AMAZING), 3 more chapters to chose marines from and a completely rebalanced RNG apparently (which I'm really curious about and I hope it come to iOS too).

RustyO

@PittaGAF... You mentioned Darkest Dungeon on iPad... any idea about ETA?

I'll double-dip when it arrives, already got it on pc, but I think it will make such a great iPad / couch experience that I'm holding off playing it more to not burn out.

On a similar note to that... anyone know if Sunless Sea is getting an iOS port?

PittaGAF

@PittaGAF... You mentioned Darkest Dungeon on iPad... any idea about ETA?

I'll double-dip when it arrives, already got it on pc, but I think it will make such a great iPad / couch experience that I'm holding off playing it more to not burn out.

On a similar note to that... anyone know if Sunless Sea is getting an iOS port?

Your avatar is telling :)

Unfortunately I do not have any more news...I just asked the dev via Twitter and they told me it is planned for 2016, but no other Infos.
I just barely saw the game on PC and immediately refrained to play further because yeah, it would be GLORIOUS on iPad.

As for Sunless Sea I've heard (very strong, can't reveal the source :p) rumors it is coming...but not before next year probably...
Devs previous title, Fallen London, is coming first late this year (already been previewed etc.)

Sorry, no more solid news :(

PittaGAF

I just completed (fully and good as far as I know) Lifeline (first one).

I admit I was skeptical at first and it went like this.

Day one was a novelty.
Day two went by nice but almost unnoticed.
Day 3 was UTTERLY GLORIOUS.

Writing was excellent, the game requires almost zero commitment but it's truly engaging....I really cared for Taylor and most of all I simply LOVE this kind of scifi shit....it's actually my fav thing ever.

Best dollar I spent in a while.

Which are my options now?

Lifeline 2 seems reasonable...but I understand it's a different setting (setting made the game IMHO) and I saw a Lifeline clone but official spin off from Martian was just published on the AppStore.

Anyone played them?
Thanks!

PittaGAF

All of a sudden I have GC back on my iPad Air.

Check your devices....Apple is working at least.
I didn't change anything....only thing I did was installing the free IGN game and while playing I saw the GC banner (like 15 minutes in).
After that I was able to delete apps, take my turns etc...

I a,ready know it won't last.

Matt Frost

Finished Tales From Deep Space (dont know why I kept writing the name another way... lol)

Took me about 4 hours. If Lost Winds 1 & 2 were awesome, this just takes it to the next level. Tales from Deep Space improves every aspect of those two. This game just keeps being awesome all the way. Words cannot describe how good this is (well, maybe they can but I dont know how xD). Is worth buying for 8$, at the current price of 1$ is a steal. A must have. Kotaku was wright to call it "the mobile adventure of the year". Buy...this....game....now

awp69

Downloaded the demo version of Mos Speedrun 2 on Android and can't say it really does anything for me. Downloaded the original on my Mini and honestly think it's the better game.

I think there have been so many platformers in between those two games too that the sequel doesn't do enough to separate it from the pack.

Downloaded the demo version of Mos Speedrun 2 on Android and can't say it really does anything for me. Downloaded the original on my Mini and honestly think it's the better game.

I think there have been so many platformers in between those two games too that the sequel doesn't do enough to separate it from the pack.
So another Spider 2 scenario

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sorcery 3 is enjoyable as a standalone and is easily the most expansive of the series (there are seven bosses and on my first playthrough, I only found 3 and only defeated 2).

But the fullest best experience is starting from the beginning. All your choices, items, and knowledge carry over and your experience can change drastically based on those things. The consequences aren't minor things and events from 1 can haunt you in 3

I started 3 cursed by an insidious god, with barely any gold, very few supplies, a low base health, had several magical relics and items, a nice arsenal of weaponry, and some useful spells. All those variables and many others could have been very different

Thanks for the post mate, will try starting from 3 and maybe be back for another play through when I grab the other two

awp69

I may not be very good at it but HoPiKo is just so freaking addictive. And ugghh, that feeling when you get to the fifth level of a set and blow it. Could be my favorite twitch / platformer on iOS.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Mos Speedrun 2 is slower than the original, it's not immediately apparently unless you compare the two side by side, and this is a damn shame. Mos Speedrun 2 is still a very solid game though and I'm quite enjoying it (I love the friend's ghosts for example) but it's not the same exhilarating experience as the first one was and still is when replaying it.

Judging by the leaderboards now the game has not sold well at all, there are just a few hundred people overall ranked for level 1-1.

That mobile game nostalgia thread sure is a fun and informative read filled with interesting discussion!

Mos Speedrun 2 is slower than the original, it's not immediately apparently unless you compare the two side by side, and this is a damn shame. Mos Speedrun 2 is still a very solid game though and I'm quite enjoying it (I love the friend's ghosts for example) but it's not the same exhilarating experience as the first one was and still is when replaying it.

Judging by the leaderboards now the game has not sold well at all, there are just a few hundred people overall ranked for level 1-1.
Looks like another Spider 2 situation

Mos 1 came out in 2011. Things have changed in 4 years. They didn't strike when the iron was hot, and they changed the game to be more of a regular platformer rather than a fluid fast SMB-style precision platformer

As of 2015, we've had Leo's Fortune, Hopiko, Mr Jump, Bit.Trip Run, Cube Koala, and others

Pachimari

I'm going through my old AppShopper account, and I see Level 22 have been removed from the App Store? Incompatibility issues?

Matt Frost

Finally found a way to get rid of the GameCenter bug: a complete restore. Backup your iPhone thru iTunes, do a restore. GameCenter comes back to life :D

Emarv

Land Sliders is such a smart concept I'm amazed it took so long for someone to make. Really well made game. Probably a bit easier on iPad than iPhone but still gonna keep at it.

Matt Frost

Land Sliders is such a smart concept I'm amazed it took so long for someone to make. Really well made game. Probably a bit easier on iPad than iPhone but still gonna keep at it.

I really like it as well, and the best part is that is not pay to win at all. Love this. As well as Crossy Road: No continues, no coin packs, only completely optional cosmetic IAP.

Speaking of Crossy Road, it just got a new update with characters from Land Sliders, Shooty Skies and... Monument Valley. Yes, you can play as the totem, but you have to unlock it first. Going at it now...

Shaneus

I assume it's okay to mention it here, but I'm testing the new Land Sliders and I don't know if I can mention content, but I reckon I can say that performance doesn't deteriorate as you play it :) Battery usage still seems high, but may be better than it was before.

okno

So, Land Sliders.

Love it. We all love it.

But the game just wigged out on me when I went to purchase a character, and now I'm out 100 coins with nothing to show for it :(

Wah.

RustyO

Your avatar is telling :)

Unfortunately I do not have any more news...I just asked the dev via Twitter and they told me it is planned for 2016, but no other Infos.
I just barely saw the game on PC and immediately refrained to play further because yeah, it would be GLORIOUS on iPad.

I'm trying to hold off playing, as would prefer on iPad. I spend enough time in front of a computer developing all day as it is...

Purchased it regardless as I wanted to throw them a couple of bucks to help them out, and then I can be entitled and demand a port :)

As for Sunless Sea I've heard (very strong, can't reveal the source :p) rumors it is coming...but not before next year probably...
Devs previous title, Fallen London, is coming first late this year (already been previewed etc.)

Same story with Sunless Sea... I have it on PC, but never played it... again, holding out for an iOS port.

Matt Frost

I assume it's okay to mention it here, but I'm testing the new Land Sliders and I don't know if I can mention content, but I reckon I can say that performance doesn't deteriorate as you play it :) Battery usage still seems high, but may be better than it was before.

What do you mean with "the new Land Sliders"? An update? A new game? The existing one?

Also, I found a skull with three dots surrounding it, have no idea what's for... I love how you can occasionally find puzzles like that in the game. For an endless runner junkie Land Sliders (and Crossy Road and Shooty Skies) is a top endless runner, neat unused concept, neat execution, tons of charm, great music...

PittaGAF

Out There Omega is an all time masterpiece that I simply can't put down, still finding always new things, 1,5 years later.

Maybe not for everyone, but if it clicks it's a no return point.

Gold ending still eludes me....I died one sector away from gold like 4 times last week end.

An update on Prison Architect iPad, definitely not coming this week. Devs said they have no release date yet, but hopefully later this year

Shaneus

What do you mean with "the new Land Sliders"? An update? A new game? The existing one?

Also, I found a skull with three dots surrounding it, have no idea what's for... I love how you can occasionally find puzzles like that in the game. For an endless runner junkie Land Sliders (and Crossy Road and Shooty Skies) is a top endless runner, neat unused concept, neat execution, tons of charm, great music...
New as in I got in via Test Pilot :)

As for that skull thing with the dots, try luring an animal across it and see what happens ;)

Pachimari

I'm thinking what games have been pulled from the App Store so far?

- Flappy Bird
- Level 22
- BioShock
- Ghost Trick
- SpaceChem
- Project 83113

What others?

Top Bottom