• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

uM6g9rg.jpg

xeXAxtQ.png

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

1nBgZMo.jpg

Site | Trailer | App Store
HoPiKo is an intense speed run platformer where you get to save gaming. Jump from platform to platform avoiding death, exploiting shortcuts and ripping through 100s of hand-crafted levels, each one dropped into a 5-stage mini run designed to break your mind!
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I'm currently addicted to HoPiKo (damn can it be a bitch, but it's insanely fun)
Picked up HoPiKo to break in my new 6S, and wow - this game is a TON of fun. Love the gameplay, love the music.
Yes, Hopiko is absolutely flippin brilliant

Extremely fluid, great art, and a "new mechanic every level" thing going on similar to Badland
Hopiko

The game just throws new mechanics at you. It's like Badland in that way. Simple controls, but a ton of mechanics. Plus am awesome soundtrack

ExygOVi.jpg

We know. It doesn't look like much.
But we promise that it's a very good puzzle game.
Like, really good.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

So I'll just say that Simogo's SPL-T isn't as simple as it first appears...
---
So I'm warming up to SPL-T. Once you understand the puzzle mechanic, it's pretty fun and challenging
Totally clicked now.

Yeah the game is pretty good fun!

pBWunNv.jpg

Enter the Kingdom of the Queen of the Night. Start your journey through the lands of mystery and magic as prince Tamino. Choose your steps wisely, build your path avoiding traps, deadly serpents or earth quakes. But know no fear, lose no hope and remember that you are the master of your own path.
Solve 32 spatial puzzles placed in a beautiful scenery of Mozart’s ‘Magic Flute’ opera. Armed only in logic, imagination and integrity help Tamino find wisdom, beauty and save the love of his life. Be careful though as in this opera-based story nothing is as it seems…

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Anyway, it's a solid tile slider with some different twists on the genre. Hasn't grabbed me as much as other recent releases

Well worth a download
Played some Magic Flute and without realizing I completed half of the game. Its like the puzzling from Blockwick with an isometric view and on top of that they add a bunch of mechanics. Slide the blocks on the floor to move them and tap anywhere on the block to move the character there. You have to guide your character from A to B, rearranging tiles to form a path. Levels dont usually take more than a minute to complete, the game seems short but the flow of the mechanics keeps it fresh and engaging. There is also a giant snake that introduces timed sections where you have to make a path quickly, adding some challenging in between to make it interesting. And on top of that they added a little bit of Monument Valley and some nicely done art direction. The level select is amazing, with the protagonist playing the most famous Mozart song. I am enjoying this one, a lot.

oIZJtvh.jpg

Devastator is a highly-polished arcade twin-stick shooter from Radiangames, creator of Inferno 2, JoyJoy, Super Crossfighter, and more. If you're looking for a leisurely action game, look elsewhere. Devastator is one of the most intense and difficult twin-stick shooters to grace the iPhone and iPad.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Played some Devastator. Main gripe is that it doesn't have an option for my preferred control scheme: floating joysticks. You can adjust the positions, but that's not exactly the same.

Besides that, it's classic Radiangames. Big swarms of enemies, frenetic combat, screenfuls of particles and bullets. You select a main ability at the start and then can collect power-ups like a shield or bouncing bullets.

Really challenging
Enjoying Devastator, but definitely agree on wishing there were floating sticks. Think it's probably not as much of an issue on phones. Just harder on a larger screen to get used to fixed positions when so many games using twin sticks have moved to the floating option.

It's also probably radiangames most difficult game. A little uneven as some of the first few levels seemed a lot harder than later ones.

Still a great game. Can't say they've had a bad one yet.

2S0bHko.jpg

In PixWing you have an unique opportunity to engage your entire body to play! Fly planes, jets or even a dragon in stunningly colorful environment. Challenge your skill in time trials or chill out and just fly freely!
Pixwing-2015-05-15-19-45-09-17-1024x576.png
Pixwing-2015-05-15-19-58-37-00-1024x576.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

Finished PixWing.... yeah I had a productive day today. PixWing is.. charming, beautiful to look at, 3D pixel art is very apt. The three worlds are gorgeous and with different mechanics each, there are a lot of unlockable planes like a dragon, a shark and the car from Back to the Future. Gameplay is like Retry but in 3D and lucky the controls (touch) are responsive and up to the task, everything is wonderful, coin rate is good, there is a free roam mode to earn currency, no IAP, etc... until the third world, where a new gameplay mechanic is introduced: wind currents. They are very annoying. Kind of breaks the nice flow of the game. I would have liked to see another mechanics instead. So I finished all level on a rush. Over all, is a nice game to play an afternoon in between Lara Croft GO.

RqquRjv.jpg

Super Happy Fun Block is a puzzle game in which changing the color of the world alters reality. Maneuver through treacherous obstacles, uncover hidden secrets, and outsmart the Blocks to help Ball save what remains of humanity
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

So Super Happy Fun Block is really good so far. Controls are responsive, and the hand-drawn art style is really charming

The puzzle mechanic is simple (swap between red & blue realities), but I can see how it can get really tricky, due to precise timing or switching to pass through obstacles, or avoiding enemies.

Definitely worth checking out
I want to mention that Super Happy Fun Block is really good despite the bad name. Level design is top notch and makes it really fun and interesting. Controls are flawless, the hand drawn animations is impressive... shows 3 years in the making and the developer seem to have accomplished their objective with this game: make a deeper iOS game that resembles the ones on Steam.

And I am hooked. Loving it. So far, one of the best puzzle platformers on iOS that I tried in my 5 years of AppStore experience. And I played almost every game that it was released (except the freemium ones, turn based games or simpler arcade games that comes out every week) :p

WdPQEhl.jpg

Tile Rider is a single-player game where you control a small car, which is equipped with a weapon and a magnet gadget. Navigate each level of the virtual world from start to finish solving puzzles and outsmarting enemies
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Have to head to work, but played the first few levels and it's fun and unique. Kind of a puzzle micro machines navigating tower defense like circuits with portals and other things to throw you off course in the attempt to find the exit.

Only possible concern is length. There's only 36 levels. However, I can see the levels getting trickier and maybe longer as you play so I'll stay hopeful that it isn't too short.

8ddLbzB.jpg

The creators of Crossy Road present Shooty Skies!
Shoot, dodge, duck, goose and weave.
Take to the skies!

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

So Shooty Skies (Free) is good. Really, really good.

It's from the Crossy Road guys, but they're oddly going under the new name Mighty Games.

It's an endless shooter that looks and feels great. Tight controls. It's got this kinetic vibe that super satisfying. Reminds me a bit of Monsters Ate My Condo in this regard.

Thumbs Way Up.
Shooty skies is a lot of fun. Good controls with some great action. I like how, just like Crossy road, it's very casual and you can progress through the levels and get upgrades without much hassle. Great for pick up and play game.

Only concern I've noticed is that some of the enemies bullets don't seem to affect me and instead just go right through me. Throws me off sometimes.

CxScTM9.jpg

Beacon 38 is a mobile exploration game where you use sonar to navigate through a dangerous, beautiful alien world that constantly surprises and challenges. See if you can navigate your tiny scout ship past massive predators, mysterious creatures, and unknown peril to escape the 38th Dimension!
4145020_orig.png
4421702_orig.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

Beacon 38 is really cool

So the basic premise is that mankind (or at least some civilization) is dimension-hopping to find a new home. The fleet is stuck in a dimension where survival is impossible and the only way to escape is to send a small scouting ship into the titular Dimension 38 and open a path between dimensions

Each sector is a large expansive area and you need to explore it to reach the pinged wormholes. These are lightless places so the only way to see obstructions and what lurks in the darkness is by using sonar. It's a slow, exploration-heavy experience, so you cautiously fly around, revealing the environment and any dangers that might lurk there

Fuel is limited, massive predators and weird plant life thrives in the sectors, and the only way to survive is to explore and study. Different things react different to your presence, to your sonar pings, to other species

It's also a story-driven game. You're constantly getting text updates over your Comm link, and you'll find other ships and stations in the sectors, with logs to read

Visually, the game looks interesting, has a stylized aesthetic. My own gripe is that sonar effect isn't that cool; I wish it was more fluid like Dark Echo, rather than just revealing stuff near where you tap

But Beacon is definitely an interesting game. A slow, exploration-heavy experience through a weird alien world

Lxk4RCk.jpg

A classically inspired modern ball simulation platformer. Control a singular ball through a cubic towering labyrinth. Overcome challenging platforms and puzzles whilst ascending a seamless connected huge world. Forgotten Ball is based in a huge world, are you able to reach the top of this labyrinth?
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

With all the other releases this week, wanted to also recommend this one, Forgotten Ball. It really is an amazingly put together game with how intricate everything fits together and having to use trial and error just to even understand what that switch you just touched even did.

Also liked how the game has a little pregame setup before it really kicks in.

Very nice minimalist but devious platformer / puzzler. And despite how things in the game layer upon one another, I'm curious if there is more than one path to the top.
You have to climb a huge tower full of platforms and traps and reach the top. There are skins hidden throughout the level. Controls are working good right (a little bit float-y but responsive) now but I am only at the beginning dont know how tricky it will get. So far I would say its perfect they way it is. Loving it. Really like it. The way its all interconnected is very unique.

0zugYCQ.jpg

Hungry for delicious burgers?
Want to pick up cows with your UFO?
Does the Tooth Fairy really exist?

All dreams are fulfilled in Land Sliders, an addictive casual game where you grab what you’ve always wanted!

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

OK, Land Sliders is REALLY REALLY addicting.
Super cute, fast and SO FREAKING FUN.
You keep unlocking things and the 'just one more game' factor is out of the roof.

Also, I *LOVE* they put some kind of puzzles scattered around the levels (I've yet to solve one...but I already found 3 different ones).

Super recommended.

Congrats to PrettyGreat....game is really...well....pretty great.
Land Sliders is really, really fun. The sliding mechanic is such a fun little twist. Feels so good just flinging the world around.
Land Sliders is quite a bit of fun! Feels like a 360 degree version of Crossy Road. Kinda.

MdgSTyj.jpg

Ride a dragon, drift across the gentle sea, climb a stairway to the heavens — follow the fairies and experience a marvelous journey through a fantastic moonlit world. Help the princess complete challenges and explore a magical dream filled with mysteries and wonder.
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I just completed this surpringly totally free work of art.

Took around an hour but it was absolutely awesome.
Last puzzles were simply brilliant.

Highly recommended.

2AjohVp.jpg

Pilot the Starseed and perform bombing runs on massive dreadnoughts in the depths of space. Each vanquished dreadnought brings a new Starseed form and new weapon types.
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

I grabbed it and can tell you that Starseed does indeed live up to the hype. Great retro shmup with electronic renditions of alternative and metal songs to go along with it. Cool spinning backgrounds, bullet grazing combos -- just awesome. Only negative -- it's not universal. BUT I have to say this is the first iPhone only game that still looks fantastic and doesn't feel like the 2X mode.

ClA8KJo.jpg

How long will you survive in the abyss?
Dive now into the abyss, in an endless quest for survival. You are born as a fragile jellyfish, struggling to maintain a fading light in the darkness of the deep ocean caves.
Explore this mysterious underworld and absorb all the light you find on your way to live a few more seconds. But be aware... As poetic as this place seems to be, bizarre creatures and plants lurk in the obscurity, waiting to take a bite of you!

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Wanted to mention that I was able to play Seashine (it's already out on Android). It's a high score chaser where you must eat/collect glowing fish and other objects to stay alive, navigating upwards, to stay alive as a health meter drains.

It's a pretty simple game set apart by the beauty and ambience of the sea. Outstanding graphics and sound. The controls are ones that are easy to use but difficult to master in terms of movement with the underwater physics, which is the real challenge of the game (moving quickly to the next food to be collected before your health runs out).

Not sure how much it will hold my interest in the long run, but worth a download since it's F2P. The freemium aspects are pretty tame. You can buy unlocks like a magnet using currency you earn in-game so the IAPs are basically short cuts for those. I also have not yet seen an ad.

EaXVEqA.jpg

New, polished, mind-bending, minimal puzzle game with dozens of levels and extra-ordinary design
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Hocus is... different from what I thought... you dont rotate the levels, you have to find the right path to arrive to the end as is it was a maze Escher style. Controls by swipe, and there is an indicator on top of the screen for the directions you can take. So far... interesting minimalist escher based game.

5ln1MHF.jpg

Mos is back, in her biggest and most exciting adventure ever!
Wall-jump to victory through 30 mysterious, action packed levels!
This time Mos has learned some awesome new abilities: Swing on ropes, swim through jelly, push blocks, wall jump, and fight through spider webs to reach the end of a level.
You aren’t alone in this new adventure, you can race your friends' best speedrun times, they appear as ghosts that run along right beside you, fighting every inch of the way for the fastest time.

screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

To be added soon

K3VZuAE.jpg

A unique puzzle game for one player based on the rules of Chess. Take on the king in over 100 levels of mind-bending brain teasers. Can you earn 3 stars on every level? Share your best times and challenge your friends.
no_more_kings_ipad_2.jpg
no_more_kings_ipad_3.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Enjoying No More Kings so far, but it starts off pretty simple.

IhJHYhh.jpg

Can you be the one to escape from this pitch-black madness?

Today, I will escape from this hell.
The dim light shining from very far ahead will eventually save my life.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

To be added soon

wcEfO6V.png

A friend of mine has a blog and does regular roundups of iOS releases. http://pixelatedparadise.wordpress.com/

Super Sharp - October 8th
Chesh - October 8th
Leave Me Alone - October 8th
Subterfuge - October 15th
Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 1 - October 15th
Ghosts of Memories - October 16th
Murder - October 21st
Sanitarium - October 29th
Guitar Hero Live
Out There: Multiverse update
Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Tales from the Borderlands Episode 5
Game of Thrones Episode 6
Baseball Apocalypse
Prison Architect - likely, PC version releasing October 6th
The Room 3 - maybe
More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming September 2015 | GOing back to school with a backlog
iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them
iOS Gaming July 2015 | Apple bans the revolution
iOS Gaming June 2015 | The future is now
iOS Gaming May 2015 | May the Watch be with you
iOS Gaming April 2015 | April sales bring May backlogs
iOS Gaming March 2015 | Beware the IAPs of March
iOS Gaming February 2015 | Under New Management
iOS Gaming December 2014/January 2015

Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

aoTNDXB.png
This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.
3jjyWBt.png
J9WRxM9.jpg
iCade Hardware / Games reviews said:

i4fPlgu.png

svX4yNR.png

5IdwG5T.png

### The Game Center user list is here: quote to see ###
iOS Membership said:
Rules
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you want to be added or taken off the list, following this text formatting: GAF Name = Game Center Name / iOS Device(s)
  • When adding someone, add From GAF to the friend request and your NeoGAF name as to easily tell who's who.
  • Send Dash Kappei or Tunesmith a PM if you are already on the list but want to update your profile with more info like iOS devices(s) owned, or to just change your existing GC profile.
  • We are on the list and, if you are too, it's OK to add us even if we're not best buddies; don't be shy: we enjoy having more GAFers challenging us on the friends leaderboards.
  • Don't just wait for others to add you first you should at least add some of the profiles posted above yours if you want to get the ball rolling... It's really up to you. Ideally the last member of the list will be the one to add the profiles above his, and so on and on with each new member. Or maybe just add whoever you like, that's also an option.
  • Remember: Your real name will be visible to your GC friends.
  • You can add everyone on the list at once; click the second sheet on the iOS Membership list and read the instructions, works on iOS and Macs
JEdp5A3.png

### The form to enter yourself to the list is here: quote to see ###

uPJJtiw.png
How do I back up my game saves for games that do not support iCloud save games?
iFunBox no longer works on most games post iOS 8.3
Use a file manager program such as i-FunBox (PC/Mac) - It's free and requires no jailbreak. i-FunBox has many different features, but to back up save games you would just want to do the following:
  • Click the iFunBox Classic tab
  • Connect your iOS device, via WiFi or USB, it should then appear in the Connected Devices list on the left side of the UI.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to back up save games for.
  • Select the Documents and Library folders and copy them one at a time to your PC/Mac - this will copy the folders and all their contents. They contains your save files and settings for the game. Some games only use Documents, some use both.
To restore a backed up save game do the reverse.
  • Under User Applications, navigate to the game you want to restore save games for.
  • Select the Documents and/or Library folders and choose to copy from PC/Mac.
  • Navigate to where you saved the backed up Documents and/or Library folders on your PC/Mac, open them and select all the files within it and open them. This will copy the folder contents back onto your iOS device.
  • Restart/fully close the game itself and your saves should be back!
Check that the file structure of the game is retained, e.g. GameName > Documents > files after you're done (no Documents folder within the Documents folder!), otherwise the game will not recognize your restored saves!
How do I hide my Real Name on Game Center?
Your real first and last name (taken from your Apple ID) will be shown to your GC friends. If you value that information and want GAF's leaderboards to show your GAF nickname instead, here's how you do it:
  • Go to http://appleid.apple.com and log in with your Apple ID details via "Manage your Apple ID".
  • In the "Name, ID and Email Addresses" section, click Edit on the Your Name field at the top.
  • Change you First and Last name (you must enter both) to whatever you like (e.g. First Name: Tunesmith, Last Name: GAF)
Done, now that's who you're going to be listed as on your friend's Game Center leaderboards. This will affect Game Center *and* your Apple ID. If it's the same account you use for App Store/iTunes, you will still be able to use it for iTunes/App Store's purchases (you can still buy whatever you want like you could before) *BUT* in the receipt it'll show your nickname or whatever you chose as First Name and Last Name when you changed those fields. The first time you will use the modified account on App Store/iTunes, you will be asked to verify the account by re-entering the 3 digits code of the credit card's CCV security code (if you make your purchases using a credit card).
Should I buy this new high-priced game or wait for a sale?
Maybe! Just be aware that iOS games have a tendency to go on sale frequently and unpredictably, even recent games can be a dollar rather than premium $4-5. Spend your pack of gum money wisely. As a recommendation, set up a RSS feed for the price changes on http://appshopper.com/which will then notify you of any price fluctuations for old and new games alike.
I just got an iPhone/iPad. What are the best games?
In addition to checking out the past month's iOS Gaming threads, visit Why iOS Rocks / iOS Hidden Gems. You're welcome and your wallet will hurt.
For gaming, should I get the iPad Mini 2, or iPad Air?
Both have their pros and cons. The Mini 2 is cheaper and smaller but there is a slight difference between the Air's A7 chip and the mini's A7: the mini's is around 100MHz slower -- 1.3GHz compared to the Air's 1.4GHz. Other than that they're both identical in spec. It's very much a coin toss between if you want a 9.7" or a 7.9" screen.
I'm a new iOS user, what non-gaming apps should I get ASAP?
This thread would be a great place to start. Asking here wouldn't hurt either!

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format and month after month of hard work in maintaining these threads

Shaneus

Amazing OT as always!

If I can continue on from last thread:
The thing is, Crossy Road, Land Sliders, and Shooty Skies (and most Halfbrick games) are essentially single player experiences/games. There isn't actually much of an opportunity to "pay to win". Its easy to set up an experience where players can choose to grind or pay for any content/features over time, and easier to have the game balanced between payers and non payers.

When you have much more direct PVP situations like Game of War is where there is opportunity for more exploitable IAP and where it is harder to balance the game between payers and non payers. There are still PVP games with well designed IAP and player experiences though (I've played Clash of Clans for 2.5 years without paying).

Candy Crush Saga probably would have been a very different thing had incentivised video been a thing at the time too. But even then I didn't find it too bad for the couple of hundred levels I played (I never paid in that either).

And, it isn't that strange that "all the games with well-designed IAP are coming from Australia" given the games you reference. Matt Hall is behind Crossy Road and Shooty Skies, and an investor in PrettyGreat who made Land Sliders. And Luke Muscat, the lead designer in PrettyGreat was formerly the lead designer in Halfbrick. So, you have a couple of guys driving the design of a wide portfolio of titles from the region.

I'd also contend there are games with "well-designed" IAP coming out from all over the world. There are titles trying different things all the time from a range of developers and publishers. You just have to find them :)
I knew about the connection between all the devs of those titles, it was just easier to say "Australia" to lump them all into a basket :) Interesting insight as well on it being largely PVP titles that incite slightly more exploitable IAP (great choice of words, BTW)... I tend to stay away from multiplayer games as a rule (never played CoC and maybe put an hour into CCS) but it makes complete sense.

On your last point, I'm sure there are plenty of titles that have different yet quite acceptable implementations of IAP but like you said, having to find them is the issue. With such titles as Crossy and Sliders gaining popularity (and no doubt, fat wads) hopefully more developers will think laterally about monetising a game without either crippling progression or just turning people away by locking significant parts of the game behind IAP.

RustyO

Thanks for the thread, great work as always.

Beacon 38, Murder, Dim Light look interesting. I'll probably double dip on Prison Architect as well, probably.

PittaGAF

Awesome!!!

Looks forward to Out There Multiverse, Zodiach and The Room 3 at the very least.

9.1 Beta 3 arrived earlier this week and after testing it for a while I can report that GameCenter now works as it always worked: great but not perfect. Its a public beta and it works really good, every app remains the same after upgrading, safe, even more coming from iOS9,....

Are you telling me you had the bug and 9.1 beta 3 solved it?
It would be awesome, but I've read mixed reports on Apple forums.
I truly hope it's the case!!!!

Raytow

Sanitarium!? THE SANITARIUM!? omg been ages since I've played it, would love to replay it, the first few chapters are one of the creepiest experiences in gaming.

Matt Frost

Blockwick 2, probably the best sliding puzzler on the AppStore is only 1$ right now, down from 5$. If you like the sliding blocks genre, get it by any means.

Are you telling me you had the bug and 9.1 beta 3 solved it?
It would be awesome, but I've read mixed reports on Apple forums.
I truly hope it's the case!!!!

Yes, right now it works like it did on previous iOS versions. Can load it from Setting any time I want, loads in every game... works great on 9.1 public beta 3

Any more impressions? Seems kind of simple. Is it challenging? Are new elements introduced?

I completed 10 or 12 levels and no new elements get introduced so far... it just gets more challenging as levels gets more and more complicated. But I like it. Going to play more now, or maybe Shooty Skies... cant get to the second boss... need to fix that...

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
On your last point, I'm sure there are plenty of titles that have different yet quite acceptable implementations of IAP but like you said, having to find them is the issue. With such titles as Crossy and Sliders gaining popularity (and no doubt, fat wads) hopefully more developers will think laterally about monetising a game without either crippling progression or just turning people away by locking significant parts of the game behind IAP.

Though it doesn't map cleanly to certain types of games, I think the Crossy Road style of monetization and the elegance of how it has integrated its incentivized video has already had an impact on other developers and publishers.

Incentivized video has certainly helped bridge the gap between payers and non payers, and has made games easier to balance for both to peacefully co-exist as a result.

Pachimari

Have any big "AAA" iPhone games been released in the last year?
I went to Android for that period of time, and haven't been following the iOS scene that much.

I know of these:

• Doorkickers
  • Don't Starve
  • Lara Croft GO

Matt Frost

...I think the Crossy Road style of monetization and the elegance of how it has integrated its incentivized video has already had an impact on other developers and publishers

Yes, Noodlecake Games released The Balloons the other day with a similar free 2 play system to Crossy Road... but... I dont know, I guess you need to be Australian to balance it properly. The Balloons has a slot machine mini game where you have to tap balloons or coins, and you need 3 balloons to get the unlockable characters, and is really hard to get them, most of the times I get a coin and two balloons and end up paying 100 coins to get 10 in return. Is frustrating.

Have any big "AAA" iPhone games been released in the last year?
I went to Android for that period of time, and haven't been following the iOS scene that much.

I know of these:

• Doorkickers
  • Don't Starve
  • Lara Croft GO
Tons.

Transistor, Dungeon of the Endless, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Race The Sun, This War of Mine, Geometry Wars 3, Legend of Grimrock, Papers Please

As for exclusives: Warhammer Deathwatch, Implosion, Galactic Keep, Horizon Chase, and others

And later this year, we're getting Prison Architect, Titan Quest, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Lumino City, Dropsy, and more

Pachimari

I were only interested in iPhone games. Unfortunately Papers Please and This War of Mine seems to be iPad exclusive.

I'm sorry. I thought it was for iPhone as well. I just gotta find my groove after a year on Android lol.
No worries. But seriously, get an iPad or Mini. iPhone is nice for some games but playing XCOM or Don't Starve or Transistor on a small iPhone screen...not the best experience

Most PC ports tend to be iPad-only, at least at launch.

Mr.Ock

Damn, Chesh positively sounds like a game I would waste hours and hours on. I hope the mechanics will be good!

nikos

I recently switched to a pair of iPhone's (both iPhone 5), and I'm really starting to enjoy mobile gaming. The last time I tried it, the games weren't as polished and the controls weren't as solid. Nowadays I can usually fire up just about anything and play it without even thinking about it. Galaxy on Fire 2 HD blew me away as to how quick I figured it out.

I'm probably going to buy a new Apple TV in October (I need a low-powered Netflix box - the PS4 uses too much energy and the Chromecast has a lot of little reliability problems) and I'm excited to see how those games turn out. My girlfriend really liked every game in the keynote, more so than the usual co-op games we play on the PS4.

I might also buy a cheap iPad Air if things work out with someone I know. I really want to play Shadowrun Returns on it, among other CRPGs and pretty games. I could easily see myself using the iPad Air for most laptop tasks as well...

This is an exciting time for me as a gamer. I haven't been this into portable gaming since the GBA.

This looks cool. Next game from the dev of Hiversaires, Oquonie, and Donsol
http://wiki.xxiivv.com/Verreciel
Verreciel is a virtual space exploration project, to be released on iOS platforms on January 10th 2016.
You must learn to use the Glass Ship's consoles, route them into one-another, and navigate the surrounding universes aboard its fragile habitat.
470.jpg

"Welcome to the Opal dimension where the stars are ashes" | "Approaching the Prismatist"

"The autopilot interface" | "Displaying content of cargohold"

Emarv

That looks great.

SPL-T still hasn't clicked with me. I have some decent scores but it still feels like I don't get a general sense of strategy.

Enjoying No More Kings so far, but it starts off pretty simple.

Dev progress on Verreciel
  • Create Hostile Events. Active a week ago
  • Create Weather Events. Active a week ago
  • Create NPCs Events. Prototype a week ago
Yeah, this is going to be cool. Imagine needing to reroute systems because of certain events. There's going to be combat too

PittaGAF

Seconded, this is quite an amazing concept and I love the fact that you need to link the different part of the ship. Looking forward to seeing more of it!

Dev progress on Verreciel

Yeah, this is going to be cool. Imagine needing to reroute systems because of certain events. There's going to be combat too

I'm in a super scifi mood lately, so I'm more hyped by the minute.

Currently enjoying a lot Lifeline alternated with Out There Omega.

Aaron D.

So my 6s Plus should be arriving in a few days and it will be my first XL mobile. I put together a list of a few owned titles that I just HAVE to play on the larger screen and I couldn't believe how quickly it grew.

Mind you, this is just a cursory glance through my Purchased apps page. I could easily double the list if I went over my purchases again.

Galactic Keep
Geometry Wars 3
Legend of Grimrock
Fallout Shelter
Horizon Chase
Farming Simulator 15
Shooty Skies
Minecraft
XCOM: EU
Hearthstone
Device 6
Secret of Mana
King of Dragon Pass
Zen Bound 2
Puzzle Quest 2
Skiing Yeti Mountain

"We're gonna need a bigger phone."

Rlan

Considering I no longer work at Halfbrick I probably shouldn't be as chipper as I am about this, but damn it, I'm proud of what my team created. Speaking of Aussie devs.

CQOC0l_WgAAdgUR.jpg

CQOfSXQVAAAFn43.jpg

Jetpack Joyride has a massive update with a new mode and vehicles around Back To The Future! The mode is a time extension mode, collecting Flux Capacitors to extend time, and while playing it you can use the two new vehicles; Delorean Time Machine and Hoverboard.

By playing the mode and collecting fluxes, you'll unlock costumes of Doc, Marty and Biff. If you want to keep the vehicles and use them in normal Jetpack Joyride, there's a one-time $10 IAP.

I pitched the idea, concepted the mode and figured how the vehicles would work. My team did an amazing job making it. The Delorean itself is so sweet, so many awesome particle effects.

Download it here: https://itunes.apple.com/app/jetpack-joyride/id457446957?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

PittaGAF

I actually tested Ghost of Memories first levels (basically, tutorial and little else) and even if the beta was stripped of any cutscenes and story bit, I found it had a lot of potential.
A lot.

I actually tested Ghost of Memories first levels (basically, tutorial and little else) and even if the beta was stripped of any cutscenes and story bit, I found it had a lot of potential.
A lot.
From what I played, it reminded me a bit of the puzzler Shardlands
screen520x924.jpeg

Matt Frost

Tweetbot 4 is out, this time Universal and for the low price of 5$ (50% sale from its regular price of 10$)

Description
*** 50% off for a limited time. ***

Tweetbot is a wonderful Twitter client that’s powerful and a joy to use. Sync your timeline across your iPhone, iPad, and Mac (Tweetbot for Mac also available in the Mac App Store). Mute tweets by users, hashtags, tweet sources, or keywords (including regex). 3rd Party support for image, video, read later, and timeline sync services. Tweetbot also has all the features you’d expect in a full-featured Twitter client like lists and direct messages, and others you wouldn’t like the statistics view, a night theme for low-light reading, and much more.

What’s New in Version 4:

- iPad Support (Universal)
- Landscape Support on iPhone and iPad
- New Statistics and Activity View.
- New Column View in Landscape on iPad and the iPhone 6+
- Split View Multi-tasking on iPad
- More Granular Mute Filter Settings
- Quick Reply from Notifications
- Safari View Controller with Support for Content Blockers
- Improved User Profiles
- Improved Status Detail
- Refreshed User Interface
- Many Optimizations Under the Hood

Statistics and Activity View.

Enjoy keeping track of how popular your tweets are or how many new followers you get each day? Fall in love with the new Statistics view. Watch your tweets get faved and retweeted in real time (on a WiFi network), and see your daily global activity graph grow over the last 7 days. See all of the recent activity happening on your account in real time on the Activity view. Watch people follow, mention, retweet, fave, and quote you live.

Column View on iPad and iPhone 6+.

Tweetbot just got a lot more powerful with the new column view. Just rotate your iPad or iPhone 6+ to landscape and have a column dedicated to a list, search result, mentions, statistics, or activity stream.

Other Notable Features:

- Support for 3rd party services
- Add multiple accounts
- Powerful mute filters
- Push notifications
- Customizable navigation (iPhone)
- Save and edit tweet drafts
- Edit and view lists
- Wi-Fi timeline streaming
- Timeline sync across multiple devices
- Send images in direct messages
- Night theme for low-light reading
- Smart gestures to quickly access tweet details, reply, retweet and favorite.
- Status display customization

screen322x572.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tweetbot-4-for-twitter/id1018355599?mt=8

Fjordson

Just replaced my beat up iPhone 5 with a 6S so looking forward to playing some iOS games again.

Already excited about that Murder game listed in the OP after watching the trailer. That looks incredible.

Just replaced my beat up iPhone 5 with a 6S so looking forward to playing some iOS games again.

Already excited about that Murder game listed in the OP after watching the trailer. That looks incredible.
Was reading online, we should probably temper our expectations. It's described as a short story adventure and it'll be about 30 minutes long

Daffy Duck

Considering I no longer work at Halfbrick I probably shouldn't be as chipper as I am about this, but damn it, I'm proud of what my team created. Speaking of Aussie devs.

CQOC0l_WgAAdgUR.jpg

CQOfSXQVAAAFn43.jpg

Jetpack Joyride has a massive update with a new mode and vehicles around Back To The Future! The mode is a time extension mode, collecting Flux Capacitors to extend time, and while playing it you can use the two new vehicles; Delorean Time Machine and Hoverboard.

By playing the mode and collecting fluxes, you'll unlock costumes of Doc, Marty and Biff. If you want to keep the vehicles and use them in normal Jetpack Joyride, there's a one-time $10 IAP.

I pitched the idea, concepted the mode and figured how the vehicles would work. My team did an amazing job making it. The Delorean itself is so sweet, so many awesome particle effects.

Download it here: https://itunes.apple.com/app/jetpack-joyride/id457446957?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Thank you so much for this! It's the best update I've ever seen!

I'm a huge BTTF fan and this is just brilliant.so $10 unlocks the vehicles permanently? And are the costumes a permanent thing?

Haden

Banned
So who is getting Subterfuge? Would be great to get enough people together to get some games going.

Pitta this must be a Day 1 purchase for you?

So who is getting Subterfuge? Would be great to get enough people together to get some games going.

I'm probably getting it, got some friends interested. Although I warn you that I am pretty terrible at games of strategy so I am probably just going to be feeding the overall winner.

What's this?
Added to the OT
Subterfuge - October 15th
Subterfuge plays out in real-time over the course of a week or more. Players check in a few times each day to assess their situation, issue or modify orders, and engage their fellow players in diplomacy and subterfuge. You will need to master both strategy and diplomacy to earn your victory, so plan ahead, coordinate with others, and carefully consider the consequences of your actions!

Double D

Started playing this Lunar Flowers game. Like 2 minutes in it wants me to draw an 'X'. What am I doing wrong here?

edit: nevermind, it isn't an X at all. Just couldn't see one of the lines because of shadows.

Fjordson

What's a good recent game that I can play while listening to podcasts? My go-to used to be Crossy Road, but I'm over that.

PittaGAF

Well...I actually was part of the beta test.
The game is REALLY polished and I'm sure many will love it.
I do not want to dump hype because it is a wonderful game made from a wonderful concept and the devs deserve a lot of success...but I just didn't feel it that much.
I loved the setting and everything but I discovered I get no fun in betraying former allies and such shady diplomatic things in multiplayer to win.
I was surprised myself.
But the game is worthy....it's just me.

Also notable, they implemented a lot of ways to streamline the game (like order queuing) to require the less commitment possible while still having a deep game (this didn't prevent me to be addicted first weeks and check the game at every notification).

I think the game will be free too (not sure...I left the beta some months ago feeling I couldn't really be of help).

Matt Frost

What's a good recent game that I can play while listening to podcasts? My go-to used to be Crossy Road, but I'm over that.

Land Sliders is produced the guy who made Crossy Road and designed by the ones who made Fruit Ninja/Jetpack Joyride, controls feel natural and there are some puzzles and objectives, the exploration side of it and the collecting is compelling... you should like that.

Top Bottom