• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Do all of the podcast apps have the same content? Does any podcast app have better support than the others?

Podcast apps are just "gatherers". They pick feeds up and list them for you. They don't host any content; they just organize different shows.

PittaGAF

Tired of waiting Apple publishing iOS 9.1 (reportedly solving the Gamecenter bug, due out in November) I tried the last chance.
I've read many success reports but some unsuccessful ones....but I tried.

Turned on my work MacBook (I didn't turn on a PC at home since like 4 years), did a backup...and wiped off my iPad.
Clean install....THEN I restored backup.

And whoa!!!!
Turn notifications went on for 2 minutes....
First time I loaded GC was a bit slow...but then everything was back to normal.
I was able to take my turns, sync my saves, received further notifications....
I really hope it last.

Doing the same on iPhone as I write...will report if everything is ok in some days.

If you want to do the same...DO IT WITH A PC...do not use an iCloud backup because I've read one side effect of the same bug prevents restoring from iCloud (always worked for me but I read that and I didn't want to take any risk).

EDIT: Game Center is back on iPhone too. Wooooot!!!

killercow

Tired of waiting Apple publishing iOS 9.1 (reportedly solving the Gamecenter bug, due out in November) I tried the last chance.
I've read many success reports but some unsuccessful ones....but I tried.

Turned on my work MacBook (I didn't turn on a PC at home since like 4 years), did a backup...and wiped off my iPad.
Clean install....THEN I restored backup.

And whoa!!!!
Turn notifications went on for 2 minutes....
First time I loaded GC was a bit slow...but then everything was back to normal.
I was able to take my turns, sync my saves, received further notifications....
I really hope it last.

Doing the same on iPhone as I write...will report if everything is ok in some days.

If you want to do the same...DO IT WITH A PC...do not use an iCloud backup because I've read one side effect of the same bug prevents restoring from iCloud (always worked for me but I read that and I didn't want to take any risk).

EDIT: Game Center is back on iPhone too. Wooooot!!!

Installing iOS 9.1 fixed all of my issues. It's much better now.

Wallach

I just found out Galactic Keep released recently. This game deserves all the dollars. Go give them yours.

Edit - and yes that is recent to me fuckers I got a job and bills and shit nobody told me this came out

Aaron D.

Ryan North's To Be Or Not To Be is on sale for $1.99.

It's a comedic Hamlet choose your own adventure with fantastic artwork and wildly divergent paths.

I just spent the last 5+ minutes going through the Acknowledgements (ProTip: twice) before starting the game proper and already regret not paying full price.

Holy crap this guy is hilarious.

Anyone play Shadow Fight 2? It has timers and such and is pretty grindy, but man, the gameplay is so much fun. It's from the devs of Vector, so the animations are awesome
ShockingFalseAfricanaugurbuzzard.gif

It's a comedic Hamlet choose your own adventure with fantastic artwork and wildly divergent paths.

I just spent the last 5+ minutes going through the Acknowledgements (ProTip: twice) before starting the game proper and already regret not paying full price.

Heard of a lot of good things about this, might pick it up

Emarv

Been on my wishlist for over a year. Thanks!

awp69

Anybody have any problems with Test Flight, especially since iOS 9? I've been doing some beta testing of Aralon 2 and a new build came out. So I deleted some things (had removed last version to wait for some things to be fixed) then tried to download the new one. It failed due to space. Okay. So I again delete. Check my storage and the 1.3 GB is NOT restored. I delete a few things anyway and try to download again with what should have been plenty of space. It gives the same error and now I should have been out 1.6-1.7 GB. I check and I only have less than 100 MB and it keeps declining eventually to zero.

I rebooted. Used a file cleaner. Kept retrying. Over and over and I am stick with no space. Not going to delete anything else because it seems to suck up the space anyway. I also tried deleting Test Flight itself. Nope. Space is still gone, probably about 2 GB at this point.

WTF? Anyone else experiencing these kind of issues?

RM8

Guys, be sure to update (or buy!) Kero Blaster, the new levels are amazing. My GOTY 2014 just got even better <3 Pink Heaven is great too, I'm glad I waited for the iOS version.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Are there games like Patapon for ios? I loved that game on my psp.

Outside of the Chinese clone of Patapon on the app store a while ago (since taken down). I'm not sure.

Anybody have any problems with Test Flight, especially since iOS 9? I've been doing some beta testing of Aralon 2 and a new build came out. So I deleted some things (had removed last version to wait for some things to be fixed) then tried to download the new one. It failed due to space. Okay. So I again delete. Check my storage and the 1.3 GB is NOT restored. I delete a few things anyway and try to download again with what should have been plenty of space. It gives the same error and now I should have been out 1.6-1.7 GB. I check and I only have less than 100 MB and it keeps declining eventually to zero.

I rebooted. Used a file cleaner. Kept retrying. Over and over and I am stick with no space. Not going to delete anything else because it seems to suck up the space anyway. I also tried deleting Test Flight itself. Nope. Space is still gone, probably about 2 GB at this point.

WTF? Anyone else experiencing these kind of issues?

No such issues experienced on my end and I use Test Flight apps daily with my work. Sounds like corrupt cache files that may need a restore to remove?

PittaGAF

Anyone play Shadow Fight 2? It has timers and such and is pretty grindy, but man, the gameplay is so much fun. It's from the devs of Vector, so the animations are awesome.

I hate you for mentioning this :D
Since I tried it after reading your post, I basically didn't play anything else.

SO FUN....and so fluid on iPhone 6.

Reminds me IK+
Controls very well too...I'm actually able to do some incredible combos.

I hate you for mentioning this :D
Since I tried it after reading your post, I basically didn't play anything else.

SO FUN....and so fluid on iPhone 6.

Reminds me IK+
Controls very well too...I'm actually able to do some incredible combos.
I've actually considered the $20 Remove Timer IAP. That's how much I'm enjoying it

awp69

No such issues experienced on my end and I use Test Flight apps daily with my work. Sounds like corrupt cache files that may need a restore to remove?

Thanks. I was afraid I'd end up having to so this. But kept trying and trying and this morning it finally installed Aralon 2 and freed up what was at that point 3.4 GB.

Major headache, but it's done for now.

Aaron D.

So is post-9.0 glitchy Game Center preventing iCloud save transfers?

I've got a 15 hour save on Farming Simulator 16 that I want to transfer from my old 5s to my new 6s Plus. The file shows as being uploaded to the cloud on the 5s, but when I load the game on my 6s Plus all the Cloud Save slots are empty.

PittaGAF

I'm probably the last one knowing this....but apparently since iOS 9 (I guess because of app thinning, so you do not have the full app version anymore in your devices) when you connect to iTunes you DO NOT transfer the apps from device to computer anymore.
So you do not update existing app on PC and more importantly if you restore....you will download from the internet (like with iCloud backup), so it's much slower and you are not guaranteed anymore they still have the app if I understood well.

Did you know?
Is there any workaround?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm probably the last one knowing this....but apparently since iOS 9 (I guess because of app thinning, so you do not have the full app version anymore in your devices) when you connect to iTunes you DO NOT transfer the apps from device to computer anymore.
So you do not update existing app on PC and more importantly if you restore....you will download from the internet (like with iCloud backup), so it's much slower and you are not guaranteed anymore they still have the app if I understood well.

Did you know?
Is there any workaround?

App thinning is active on iOS 9.0.2 and above, a bug in 9.0 prevented it from working.

I've always downloaded my apps in iTunes for local backing up regardless (I have it set so iTunes auto-downloads new purchases) so this change doesn't affect me and I suppose this is your only recourse these days now if you weren't doing that.

Blockwick 2 fans (cough Frost cough), game got a new $1.99 level pack
The latest Blockwick 2 update brings you a new purchasable puzzle pack: Obscura. This pack includes 80 puzzles that range in difficulty from medium to maddeningly tough. Many of these puzzles are not for the faint of heart. If you haven't beat the original Blockwick 2 game, we don't recommend getting Obscura.

img_0053.png

Matt Frost

Hi, yes I saw that on the update description, unfortunately I havent finished the game yet, lately my private time has dissappeared entirely, my dog ate my couch, and much more. I wil buy it for sure, also havent even give Dust: An Elysian Tail (isnt tails from dogs and tales are for a story, Im confused, should be the other way around in this case...) the proper time it requires.

Next wednesday night releases something that I find extremely awesome, Downwell:

https://twitter.com/moppin_

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CRIEa9FUYAAXhA0.mp4

Any other games coming the 15th to help with this app hoarding thing I have?

PittaGAF

App thinning is active on iOS 9.0.2 and above, a bug in 9.0 prevented it from working.

I've always downloaded my apps in iTunes for local backing up regardless (I have it set so iTunes auto-downloads new purchases) so this change doesn't affect me and I suppose this is your only recourse these days now if you weren't doing that.

Actually it doesn't really affect me too, because I do only iCloud backups but recently I tried it (to get rid of the iOS 9 GC bug) and 'discovered' this, especially important for the very few games I DO NOT want to be updated.
I guess many are pissed off by this.

awp69

And we can add that to the "Another Devolver Digital game on IOS" list

Still wonder if they'll ever bring over some of their bigger games to iOS that are on Android. At least a few are Shield exlusives like The Talos Principle. But others -- OlliOlli, Titan Souls, Luftrausers, and Hotline Miami 1 & 2 -- I'm not sure are exclusive BUT they require a gamepad.

Am I right that Apple still will not allow games that require a gamepad? Maybe they'll allow them on the new tvOS?

Chopper

Is there a name for the genre of those games where you grind, upgrade, grind more, collectathon-tyoe affairs. I'm thinking games like Jetpack Joyride, Ridiculous Fishing, Deep Loot etc.

I frickin love those games and I want more of them on my phone. Any recommendations?

Still wonder if they'll ever bring over some of their bigger games to iOS that are on Android. At least a few are Shield exlusives like The Talos Principle. But others -- OlliOlli, Titan Souls, Luftrausers, and Hotline Miami 1 & 2 -- I'm not sure are exclusive BUT they require a gamepad.

Am I right that Apple still will not allow games that require a gamepad? Maybe they'll allow them on the new tvOS?
I think Luftrausers and Talos could work with touch controls, but the others would definitely need a gamepad

iOS games have to be able to use the touchscreen for all controls, even if they do support MFi controllers.

tvOS games have to support the included Siri remote, which has two buttons; a ludicrous decisions on Apple's part. Unlikely tvOS will get anything but very basic motion controller games.

awp69

I think Luftrausers and Talos could work with touch controls, but the others would definitely need a gamepad

Actually, Talos does have touch controls (along with the gamepad support), but I know that one for sure is a Shield exclusive. Not sure how long it will be, but, yeah, that's the only one of those that I know of that doesn't require a gamepad.

Matt Frost

Yes to Luftrausers on iOS

I'll just leave this here

CRIg8wcW8AAtlnb.jpg:large

Beta testing on Steam, massive update, so many new things going on it that seems like a new game.

Is there a name for the genre of those games where you grind, upgrade, grind more, collectathon-tyoe affairs. I'm thinking games like Jetpack Joyride, Ridiculous Fishing, Deep Loot etc.

I frickin love those games and I want more of them on my phone. Any recommendations?

Games where you get a steady stream of upgrades and drives the game addictive to get better with each of them? I dont think there is a genre for that, but lucky us there are a few that I know:

Knightmare Tower
Mines of Mars (there is a premium and a free with ads version)
Beyond Gravity
Castle Doombad
Super Crossfighter (gameplay-wise)
99 Bricks

Chopper

Games where you get a steady stream of upgrades and drives the game addictive to get better with each of them? I dont think there is a genre for that, but lucky us there are a few that I know:

Knightmare Tower
Mines of Mars (there is a premium and a free with ads version)
Beyond Gravity
Castle Doombad
Super Crossfighter (gameplay-wise)
99 Bricks

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Thankyou for your recommendations.

awp69

Any impressions of Costume Quest? It's currently $0.99

I played it on 360 a long time ago but it was a fun, casual RPG, where you can collect costumes to become what you are dressed in during battle.. Perfect for Halloween, of course, and has that Double Fine sense of humor.

Haven't played the iOS version, but unless the port is bad, it's an easy recommend for $.99.

Matt Frost

Mines of Mars Zero update fixing the game on iPads is now love, sorry live... enjoy.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Thankyou for your recommendations.

Just checked them all with iOS 9 and 99 Bricks doesnt have any music on it. I would wait for an update if you are interested in that one.

And Knightmare Tower gets my recommendation second Mines of Mars. It is so good it will feel short when you finish the main story, wanting for more... so there is an endless mode to fix that. Actually, I am going to play that again now...

Matt Frost

I actually love those kind of games, and looking at my iPhone I dont have many, Dandy A Brief Glimpse into the Life of a Candy Alchemist has some of that, Glorkian Warrior Trials of Glork too, but they aren't as compelling to play as Knighmare Tower, Mines of Mars or Ridiculous Fishing (all feels short after you finish them) where you are playing all day. So I am going to play them all over again. And if you guys have any more suggestions, please tell me

Edit: More Downwell footage...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY83H8BdxhI

I am insta-buying this game the second is out (hope is a regular NZ release)

Matt Frost

Any other games coming the 15th to help with this app hoarding thing I have?

Yes, tons of them, enjoy you app hoarding!! :D

Downwell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY83H8BdxhI
Downwell-Animated-2.gif

Downwell is a curious game about a young boy venturing down a well in search of untold treasures with only his Gunboots to protect him. Make your way further and further down into the darkness filled with nasty creatures and mysterious secrets to collect the spectacular red gems scattered about the rocks. Step into precariously placed shops and buy some helpful items or level up between levels to battle well-dwelling monsters and uncover hidden caves filled with riches and relics. No two trips down the well are ever the same!

Minecraft: Story Mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcKmyM6YQY8
In Minecraft: Story Mode, playing as either a male or female hero named ‘Jesse,’ you’ll embark on a perilous adventure across the Overworld, through the Nether, to the End, and beyond. You and your friends revere the legendary Order of the Stone: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect; slayers of the Ender Dragon. While at EnderCon in hopes of meeting Gabriel the Warrior, Jesse’s friends discover that something is wrong… something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and you must set out on a quest to find The Order of the Stone if you are to save your world from oblivion.

Cloud Chasers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQpYSzmZYTo
Control Amelia’s glider to gather water directly from clouds – but be careful: The Cloud Harvesters, big floating water assembling machines, are always scouting for fields to reap. Try to get as much water as possible before they arrive, as an encounter with them might be fatal.
Your water resources will be essential on the journey. Not only are they dearly needed for Francisco and Amelia’s survival – you will also need them to trade for goods and services in the major cities along the way.

Subterfuge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfIWy8SnQUs
Subterfuge plays out in real-time over the course of a week or more. Players check in a few times each day to assess their situation, issue or modify orders, and engage their fellow players in diplomacy and subterfuge. You will need to master both strategy and diplomacy to earn your victory, so plan ahead, coordinate with others, and carefully consider the consequences of your actions!

Hoshi Eleven: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=15&v=GvcPsqJY96o
With Hoshi Eleven you can experience the intensity and excitement of soccer like never before! You’ll have to strategize if you want to go far in this simple yet addictive match 3 puzzle game.

PittaGAF

So, in a totally unexpected turn of events, I've just become the new owner of a brand new iPhone 6S.

I didn't think about upgrading, but hey....it's a gift :p

This thing is FAST (even over the normal 6).

Matt Frost

^^ I heard that the 6S is the most improved iPhone between the S generations. Congrats with that Force Touch, I seen so many advertisements about it that I want it...

Also, Nathan Malville, of PlicPlic fame, is releasing Lucco, an endless arcade game where you stack bricks on top of each other and try to make the tallest tower possible.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZEHe4_g5s

Coming November 5th for iOS.

Top Bottom