• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2015 | Just when you thought your TV was safe from mobile games

Oh wow, Downwell coming this week? So excited. Going to cost $3 if anyone's interested

Downwell-Animated-2.gif

And we can add that to the "Another Devolver Digital game on IOS" list

Where did you read it will cost $3? I was ready to pull the trigger at 10.

So psyched. Looks like the exact spelunky-like game I need after doing nearly everything in that game.

Matt Frost

Hey, Frost, I say you picked up Luftrausers and Particle Mace on Steam. Getting into PC gaming?

Edited: Lately I been looking and playing with my Steam account and remembering how awesome Steam was, so I been looking at this games: This War of Mine or Out There Somewhere... but I believe I need a good controller Pad to play Steam games since my old one is nowhere to be found and I lost my skills with the keyboard... know any good one that's also cheap? and last question... any MUST HAVE platformer to play?

OLD: I saw that they were on sale and picked them up... Particle Mace is 11 cents today, how can I say no to that? Also, was going to say something about Steam... lately I been looking at my Steam account (Flunkie44 has every Steam game on his wishlist lol), been looking at This War of Mine or Out There Somewhere... and was going to ask about a good controller Pad to play Steam games like Super Meat Boy or The Bug Butcher. Also, and last question... any MUST HAVE platformer to play? Sorry for so many questions but I am getting more and more interested in Steam for those kind of games and my iPhone to play Crossy Road or Worm Run.

awp69

I saw that they were on sale and picked them up... Particle Mace is 11 cents today, how can I say no to that? Also, was going to say something about Steam... lately I been looking at my Steam account (Flunkie44 has every Steam game on his wishlist lol), been looking at This War of Mine or Out There Somewhere... and was going to ask about a good controller Pad to play Steam games like Super Meat Boy or The Bug Butcher. Also, and last question... any MUST HAVE platformer to play? Sorry for so many questions but I am getting more and more interested in Steam for those kind of games and my iPhone to play Crossy Road or Worm Run.

MUST HAVE platformer: Ori and the Blind Forest

Still leading my GoTY list across all platforms and one of my favorite platformers of all-time.

I saw that they were on sale and picked them up... Particle Mace is 11 cents today, how can I say no to that? Also, was going to say something about Steam... lately I been looking at my Steam account (Flunkie44 has every Steam game on his wishlist lol), been looking at This War of Mine or Out There Somewhere... and was going to ask about a good controller Pad to play Steam games like Super Meat Boy or The Bug Butcher. Also, and last question... any MUST HAVE platformer to play? Sorry for so many questions but I am getting more and more interested in Steam for those kind of games and my iPhone to play Crossy Road or Worm Run.
You should come by the Indie Games thread

For a gamepad, you only need a Xbox 360 controller for PC gaming. That's like the default controller for PC games

As for must-play platformers, if you wanted to pick up stuff discounted during the current Weeklong Deals, I'd recommend Ink and They Bleed Pixels
In general: Ori and the Blind Forest, Grow Home, Teslagrad, Cloudbuilt, Escape Goat 2, Volgarr The Viking, BLEED, and Shovel Knight

Matt Frost

MUST HAVE platformer: Ori and the Blind Forest

Still leading my GoTY list across all platforms and one of my favorite platformers of all-time.

Ah ok Ori, I forgot that one, saw you guys talking about it the other day... checking it out now... Thanks!

You should come by the Indie Games thread

In general: Ori and the Blind Forest, Grow Home, Teslagrad, Cloudbuilt, Escape Goat 2, Volgarr The Viking, BLEED, and Shovel Knight

Ori and the Blind Forest, Ink, Grow Home and Shovel Knight look absolutely fantastic. Lovely stuff. I will have to choose two and This War Of Mine... Also, going to buy an Xbox Controller. Thanks, it seems like a good way to start. Also.... FEZ!! Yes I always wanted to play that :D

Ah ok Ori, I forgot that one, saw you guys talking about it the other day... checking it out now... Thanks!
Might want to hold off on Ori if you don't have a gamepad yet. Plays best with a controller. Also what specs do you have, because the game can get pretty intense with particles and stuff on screen

awp69

I think you'll love it. It's stunningly gorgeous, beautiful soundtrack, challenging and a rare game that really nails the emotional connection.

Matt Frost

Might want to hold off on Ori if you don't have a gamepad yet. Plays best with a controller. Also what specs do you have, because the game can get pretty intense with particles and stuff on screen

Ok I will keep that in mind. I have a good computer but not sure how it will fare with that... Is there any way in Steam to see if the game is compatible with my specs? Something like Google PlayStore does?

I think you'll love it. It's stunningly gorgeous, beautiful soundtrack, challenging and a rare game that really nails the emotional connection.

Seems great! :D

Ok I will keep that in mind. I have a good computer but not sure how it will fare with that... Is there any way in Steam to see if the game is compatible with my specs? Something like Google PlayStore does?
Not really. There are sites like CanIRunIt but I've found those to be hard to judge, because I've played games that those kind of sites say I can't run. If you're on a Windows computer, you can use DxDiag to see what specs you have and then compare that to the recommended specs on a Steam page

You can also search YouTube for videos that show games running with the processor and/or GPU you have

Heel

Subterfuge is now in Open Beta.

You are getting this email because at some point you signed up to be notified when Subterfuge goes into beta.

Well, as we gear up for our official launch on October 15th, Subterfuge is now in Open Beta.

If you'd like to play, just go to http://subterfuge-game.com/install.php and install the game from there. Feel free to share that link with your friends, social media, or anywhere you want.

During Open Beta (from now until October 15) you will be able to unlock full functionality for free. Once the game launches, full functionality can be unlocked as an in-app purchase. Everything else will remain the same (your account stats, your in-progress games). We hope you like the game enough to support our work.

Thank you for reading, and see you in the game!

Ron and Noel

Wish I made time for this game during the closed beta. Maybe we can get a game going?

This sounds promising
Warhammer 40k + Tin Man Games, releasing tonight
Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion
You are a veteran Space Marine of the Imperial Fists Chapter. Equipped with powerful Terminator armour and armed with the deadliest weapons that the Adeptus Astartes wield, you are a symbol of the Emperor’s might. Trapped aboard the space hulk Herald of Oblivion and the only survivor of your squad, you must fight your way through the aliens and heretics that infest the star vessel and find a way to escape the horror and return to your Chapter.

---

Subterfuge is now in Open Beta.

Wish I made time for this game during the closed beta. Maybe we can get a game going?
Downloading now

Matt Frost

Not really. There are sites like CanIRunIt but I've found those to be hard to judge, because I've played games that those kind of sites say I can't run. If you're on a Windows computer, you can use DxDiag to see what specs you have and then compare that to the recommended specs on a Steam page

You can also search YouTube for videos that show games running with the processor and/or GPU you have

Good to know thanks! As for the pad, I found a Sabertooth pad that looks amazing. And a mouse, a M65 RGB. Deciding on both of them. Also, I believe I can run Ori. Maybe. i7 3610QM 2.3GHz and 8 GB of RAM with... an Intel 4000 thing with 2GB RAM. The PC is very fast but the graphics card... maybe not.

am_dragon

Particles or no those specs seem a little out of control for a 2D platformer, but maybe I'm just salty about my 5 year old gaming PC and it's dwindling ability to run games.

Just want to say, I've been stuck in the hospital for a couple days, just flipping back and forth between Sproggiwood and Out There, both fantastic games.

Voidance

Mines of Mars Zero update fixing the game on iPads is now love, sorry live... enjoy.

Just checked them all with iOS 9 and 99 Bricks doesnt have any music on it. I would wait for an update if you are interested in that one.

And Knightmare Tower gets my recommendation second Mines of Mars. It is so good it will feel short when you finish the main story, wanting for more... so there is an endless mode to fix that. Actually, I am going to play that again now...
Off your recommendation, I took the plunge on Knightmare Tower. You did good.

As for the 3D Touch being a selling point, I don't make much use of it on my 6s. It'll be a more compelling selling point when it's seen greater adoption among developers (I'm aware the phone just came out).

As for the 3D Touch being a selling point, I don't make much use of it on my 6s. It'll be a more compelling selling point when it's seen greater adoption among developers (I'm aware the phone just came out).
Have you played Slayin'? You might enjoy that if you like those kind of arcadey experiences
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/slayin/id548580856

As well as You Must Build A Boat and Must Go Up
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/you-must-build-a-boat/id811397653
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/must-go-up/id919093175

Matt Frost

I guess the 3D Touch will be more useful on the next gen, when more iPhone users make the switch, true, but I wouldn't mind to have the ability to peek into things, love that feature.

And, as for Knightmare Tower, I installed it and I am hooked all over again, the game is really good. Also reinstalled Ridiculous Fishing, and, also addicted. Both games are the standard when it comes to the upgrading frenzy. Love them both.

Also, like M_B says, Must Go Up is a good choice, a quick fix as well, and is free.

Aaron D.

Shooty Skies got a nice Halloween update with new characters, weapons, etc.

Love when the larger explosions ghost a skull / jack-o'-lantern in the smoke cloud.

Damn this game is golden.

Nyx

As I've been playing the 3 Kingdom Rush games for way too long now, any new and good Tower Defense games released in the past months?

Matt Frost

As I've been playing the 3 Kingdom Rush games for way too long now, any new and good Tower Defense games released in the past months?

Tiny Guardians. Is like a reverse Kindom Rush where you are a moving tower. Everything except gameplay is the same as KR and you will feel at home with it.

Emarv

If I was only going to play one Kingdom Rush game, which one should it be? I own the first one but never really got around to playing it, but I'd be open to buying one of the later games if they're considered overall better.

Nyx

Tiny Guardians. Is like a reverse Kindom Rush where you are a moving tower. Everything except gameplay is the same as KR and you will feel at home with it.

Thanks, will check it out!

If I was only going to play one Kingdom Rush game, which one should it be? I own the first one but never really got around to playing it, but I'd be open to buying one of the later games if they're considered overall better.

To be honest I would say the first, cause it's the most challenging and has the most added post-release content.
But all three are worth a playthrough for sure if you like TD.

Matt Frost

Seconded the Downwell interest!

Also, where is awp? My guess is that he locked himself in while trying to protect his computer from that for his son and now he lost all connection with the outside world ?¿?

I would choose... the third one. The second may be longer and have more content, but the third one just adds some of the coolest mechanics on the series and improved a lot the formula. The IAP heroes are optional (although I bought the dragon on each one of them lol) and really make the game easier if you choose to use them. The second one is very good, longer and is a step up from the first game, but lacks that extra layer of polish the third one has.

To be honest I would say the first, cause it's the most challenging and has the most added post-release content.
But all three are worth a playthrough for sure if you like TD.

Agreed with the challenging part, but the second and third are just much more in general. But the first is free to play, go with that one and if you get tired of the IAP stuff pick one of the others up.

I haven't played the third game. But I own the second and first one and I would probably say the second one is a little better although not by enough that you should splash out if you already own the first game. Since you already own the first I would probably play that and if you really like it and want more levels then invest in the sequels.

awp69

Also, where is awp? My guess is that he locked himself in while trying to protect his computer from that for his son and now he lost all connection with the outside world ?¿?

I'm here. Just busy with .... life (and not just caging up my son). Haven't had time to play much of anything.

Cloud Chasers looks good but I'm not big into survival management sims so will wait for impressions on how much that component of the game is a factor.

Emarv

Haha. 3 answers, 3 different suggestions. Love it.

Yeah, I'll just start with the first one I guess and go from there. Thanks, all!

Aaron D.

glad i popped back into this thread, love playing that game around this time of year

having it portable for a buck is a no brainer

I don't know about that.

I picked it up and there's a bug where it doesn't play any music. Like at all.

Deleted it off my phone.

awp69

Yeah, I think Downwell will be my only purchase tonight.

That motorcycle game, moto RKD dash, looks kind of cool and will have a lite version so might check that out as well.

Bloodrage

Banned
Yeah, I think Downwell will be my only purchase tonight.

That motorcycle game, moto RKD dash, looks kind of cool and will have a lite version so might check that out as well.
I've been waiting for a lite version of this. It looks good. Will pick up Downwell as well.

awp69

Played the demo of that moto RKD dash game and... Meh. One of those cases where the screenshots look a lot cooler than the actual game.

More of an endless runner with pretty bad controls.

Know I've said it before but Impulse GP is the game to get for bike racing (futuristic F-zero style). Still hoping they add more content to that game, even as an IAP. That game rocks, but know it sold poorly with massive piracy rates that I think PG reported on. So sadly, the content will probably never come.

colinp

Banned
Tight and responsive

Surprised that I'm preferring to play this on iPad rather than iPhone. I thought it would be best for the small screen, but on iPhone, the buttons are cramped at the bottom of the screen

Hmmm, maybe it'd be better on Steam then?

Top Bottom