• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2015 | GOing back to school with a backlog

awp69

It's working now :) Oh and it's iOS 9.0 ;)

Looks like it's finally working for me too. For some reason, I thought I had read somewhere that it was coming out as iOS 9.1 for whatever reason (last minute fixes?).

Anyway 9.0, 9.1...don't care what it is just as long as it does all the wonderful things it says and doesn't break much... Preferably breaking nothing at all.

Edit: take that back. Started downloading and then gave me the earlier error after a few minutes. Guess it's probably better to wait until tonight. Trying one last time for now.

Emarv

This is coming in 2016, looks fun. Another card game/RPG hybrid

Solitairica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDAto4Ri_uc
Screenshot_IceWall-600x799.jpg

This looks right up my alley. Very excited.

awp69

Finally got iOS 9 to install, but I thought it was supposed to have a much smaller footprint?

I was thinking I would see about 3 more open gigs, but only gained about 300 MB.

Anyone actually see a huge gain?

Well this is kind of scary
http://toucharcade.com/2015/09/16/we-own-you-confessions-of-a-free-to-play-developer/
This isn’t an article about the evils of free to play manipulation to get you to spend money. This is about how we can target you, because we (and our partners) know everything about you. We know where you live, we know your income level, we know your relationships, your favorite sports teams, your political preferences. We know when you go to work, and where you work. We can target an event to start for you when we know you have a long weekend coming up. We own you.
You want to put a stop to this? Stop playing free games. Buy a game for 4.99 or 9.99. We don’t want to be making games like this, and we don’t want another meeting about retention, cohorts or churn.

awp69

Wow. I always knew F2P and, of course, Facebook dives into your data, but some of that shit is really, really scary. I mean some of these devs are creating face Facebook accounts to friend you as some hot girl (or presumably guy on for the opposite sex). That's just insane.

This makes me want to vomit. And definately makes me want to steer away from F2P even more.

I'm sure not all devs do this, but certainly the big ones like King probably are.

I may trust smaller indie F2P games, but even then they probably contract services for things like ad targeting.

It sucks. It sucks bad and it's just the tip of the iceberg of why I will always choose premium over F2P and be even more cautious in deciding if I do want to grab a freemium game to try.

And I don't want to get into an Eli / TA thing but he says he was trying to convince someone to write this and finally did? While at the same time defending F2P and giving 5-star Candy Crush reviews? That speaks volumes about his own priorities....surely in part to keep those big companies in their advertising ring.

Also, don't give us crap defending F2P giants that "everyone" like FB does this. That doesn't make it right. At all.

awp69

Was interested in seeing how Apple's new "News" app work and... Think it sucks.

There's no rhyme or reason to the stories and it just is kind of a mess. I picked like 5 sources. Didn't think that was much, but get a bunch of crap rather than the "top" news stories.

Deleted two sources and it still displays the articles from the ones I deleted.

And what's up with Polygon being the closest thing to a gaming news site?

Oh well, another throw away Apple app I'll never use.

I wish Apple would take the "widget" approach that Android has where you can have a few news or other apps take a multiple column space on your device with headlines or whatever.

They've taken enough other stuff from Android. Might as well add widgets to the pile.

Was interested in seeing how Apple's new "News" app work and... Think it sucks.

There's no rhyme or reason to the stories and it just is kind of a mess. I picked like 5 sources. Didn't think that was much, but get a bunch of crap rather than the "top" news stories.

Deleted two sources and it still displays the articles from the ones I deleted.

And what's up with Polygon being the closest thing to a gaming news site?

Oh well, another throw away Apple app I'll never use.

I wish Apple would take the "widget" approach that Android has where you can have a few news or other apps take a multiple column space on your device with headlines or whatever.

They've taken enough other stuff from Android. Might as well add widgets to the pile.
Search directly. IGN, Game Informer, etc. are all there

awp69

Search directly. IGN, Game Informer, etc. are all there

I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll use it just for gaming news since the real news it pulls certainly doesn't appear worthwhile. Thanks for the tip.

Know of anyway to reset the whole thing so you can get rid of what's there now? I would guess over time they would get replaced by my new "favorites" but didn't know if there is a way to expedite the process.

heringer

Wow. I always knew F2P and, of course, Facebook dives into your data, but some of that shit is really, really scary. I mean some of these devs are creating face Facebook accounts to friend you as some hot girl (or presumably guy on for the opposite sex). That's just insane.

This makes me want to vomit. And definately makes me want to steer away from F2P even more.

I'm sure not all devs do this, but certainly the big ones like King probably are.

I may trust smaller indie F2P games, but even then they probably contract services for things like ad targeting.

It sucks. It sucks bad and it's just the tip of the iceberg of why I will always choose premium over F2P and be even more cautious in deciding if I do want to grab a freemium game to try.

And I don't want to get into an Eli / TA thing but he says he was trying to convince someone to write this and finally did? While at the same time defending F2P and giving 5-star Candy Crush reviews? That speaks volumes about his own priorities....surely in part to keep those big companies in their advertising ring.

Also, don't give us crap defending F2P giants that "everyone" like FB does this. That doesn't make it right. At all.

I don't trust any company that is built on f2p. You can't make money off f2p without predatory tactics, save for few exceptions of course. That's just how it is.

I'll give it a try. Maybe I'll use it just for gaming news since the real news it pulls certainly doesn't appear worthwhile. Thanks for the tip.

Know of anyway to reset the whole thing so you can get rid of what's there now? I would guess over time they would get replaced by my new "favorites" but didn't know if there is a way to expedite the process.
Can't you just edit and delete the topics from your Favorites section?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Only a minority of F2P games can do anything close to what is described in the article because it requires a certain scale and level of technical sophistication (and being prepared to cross that ethical line).

Because of that, most companies who are using any analytics or data intelligence are making macro adjustments which get rolled across all players, rather than targeting and trying to milk individual players or even trying to categorize players into different buckets.

I have no doubt though that at the top end there are companies scraping (and leveraging) individual player data to the point where they know people better than their own mothers. In that respect, the article isn't surprising.

heringer said:
I don't trust any company that is built on f2p. You can't make money off f2p without predatory tactics, save for few exceptions of course. That's just how it is.

You can make money off F2P without predatory tactics. The problem is you can make a lot MORE money using predatory tactics.

Once you realise that as a developer or publisher, it can be a very tempting to cross that line, especially for those in publicly traded companies who are incentivised with stock.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone try out the new iOS9 features like Slide Over and PiP? Impressions?
Both work great from my usage on the iPad Air 2, but not many apps supporting it so far. At the moment any video you watch on Safari can be watched in PiP and it works flawlessly while you go to the home screen and to other apps. You can move the video around and enlarge it a bit while it's playing like that.

Same for side by side and slide over, it's fast and seamless to switch to any of the apps that support it. Kind of a bummer to see FB's apps getting updates today but not adding side by side support though. Hopefully it won't take long for the big name apps to jump on board, these features are very useful. It will be cool if games start having side by side support too, especially puzzle games and RPGs.

Both work great from my usage on the iPad Air 2, but not many apps supporting it so far. At the moment any video you watch on Safari can be watched in PiP and it works flawlessly while you go to the home screen and to other apps. You can move the video around and enlarge it a bit while it's playing like that.

Same for side by side and slide over, it's fast and seamless to switch to any of the apps that support it. Kind of a bummer to see FB's apps getting updates today but not adding side by side support though. Hopefully it won't take long for the big name apps to jump on board, these features are very useful. It will be cool if games start having side by side support too, especially puzzle games and RPGs.
I'm just thinking of the cool concepts that could come from games implementing stuff like PiP, side-by-side, and Slide Over.

Can a single app use these features or does it only work between different apps?

I'm imagining two complementary games where things in one affect stuff in the other
(An awesome PC indie game did that: HopSlide)
Like a game where one side is top-down squad strategy while you simultaneously control a tactical commander RTS view of the map

Or a Fatal Frame-esque game where the PiP screen acts as a camera

Fuu

I'm just thinking of the cool concepts that could come from games implementing stuff like PiP, side-by-side, and Slide Over.

Can a single app use these features or does it only work between different apps?

I'm imagining two complementary games where things in one affect stuff in the other
(An awesome PC indie game did that: HopSlide)
Like a game where one side is top-down squad strategy while you simultaneously control a tactical commander RTS view of the map

Or a Fatal Frame-esque game where the PiP screen acts as a camera
Sadly it seems like it only works between different apps. I tried that with some of the available apps, the app you have open doesn't show up on the slide for you to select it again and have the same one side by side.

Your ideas reminded me of the companion app in Year Walk, that's an old game that can make good use of an update adding side by side right now, haha. But yeah, I'm also curious about what devs may come up with even if you can't do it with a single app.

Sadly it seems like it only works between different apps. I tried that with some of the available apps, the app you have open doesn't show up on the slide for you to select it again and have the same one side by side.

Your ideas reminded me of the companion app in Year Walk, that's an old game that can make good use of an update adding side by side right now, haha. But yeah, I'm also curious about what devs may come up with even if you can't do it with a single app.
If devs want to take advantage and build dynamic multi-app experiences, bundles could be really useful now. Imagine what Simogo could do with this

awp69

Slide over seems cool but only Apple apps currently show up for me. Anything else of note that already has support?

Not sure if I like the new app switching method with the slivers. Sure I will get used to it.

And did anyone actually see a 3 GB space gain?

JCho133

Yikes I don't like the way multitasking works now. I preferred the full panels rather than it looking like papers in a folder

Also that little list of recent contacts is gone that would be at the top of the multitasking screen.

And the new font is goofy. I prefer the old one

awp69

Yikes I don't like the way multitasking works now. I preferred the full panels rather than it looking like papers in a folder

Also that little list of recent contacts is gone that would be at the top of the multitasking screen.

Yeah, I agree on that too on the multitasking. They should have made a toggle for your preference of full panels vs. these slivers. Doubt it would have been a big deal.

Since you are hear and no one else has answered it. Did you see a big storage boost? I mean Apple's own site as well as multiple stories I read were bragging about how the new OS takes up over 3 GBs less so we'd have more space.

From a Forbes article:
"At just 1.4GB, iOS 9 is 3.5x smaller than previous iOS releases and will give all this additional space back to users."

I didn't gain even close to 3 GBs. Only about 200-300 MBs.

Xenoflare

uhhhh my iOS 9 update is stuck at "8 hours remaining" for more than 3 hours now. I take it this is normal due to everyone trying to update at once?

Oh and since the new multitasking menu is mentioned, can I still use three fingers to swipe up 3 apps?

JCho133

uhhhh my iOS 9 update is stuck at "8 hours remaining" for more than 3 hours now. I take it this is normal due to everyone trying to update at once?

Oh and since the new multitasking menu is mentioned, can I still use three fingers to swipe up 3 apps?

Never tried that on iOS 8... But I can confirm you can do it in iOS 9 haha

Xenoflare

Never tried that on iOS 8... But I can confirm you can do it in iOS 9 haha

That's the first thing I tried to find after switching from Android since I had a "clear all" function. Swiping up to three apps at once is just..... satisfying in a way, also it's more efficient for me.

Vyer

Slide over seems cool but only Apple apps currently show up for me. Anything else of note that already has support?
?

So far for me the Twitter app, Hulu and Outlook (I'm assuming some of MS' other apps have been updated too but I don't have any installed at the moment) have all been updated to work with slide over.

Hulu has also already updated for PiP.

Carton

Powerpoint and Word. It's pretty handy being able to copy and paste pics straight across from Safari. Not that i use my iPad much for productivity, but it's becoming increasingly usable.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Shit that better not happen on iPhone

Carton

Unfortunately, it has.

Meanwhile, i'm thoroughly enjoying Horizon Chase: the tracks are increasingly impressive with day-night cycles, lightning strikes lighting up the environment, heavy snow/thunder/sandstorms, rolling hills, and an incredible sense of speed with the faster cars -- it gets seriously tense.

Shaneus

Meanwhile, i'm thoroughly enjoying Horizon Chase: the tracks are increasingly impressive with day-night cycles, lightning strikes lighting up the environment, heavy snow/thunder/sandstorms, rolling hills, and an incredible sense of speed with the faster cars -- it gets seriously tense.
It's probably my favourite iOS game right now. Only thing I don't like is there's no Outrun-like mode that has multiple courses joined together for one long P2P race (with changing surroundings/lighting for each). Surprised it doesn't exist.

Anyone tried Ghost Trick with iOS 9?

I want to upgrade to 9, but Ghost Trick only just got updated to work with 8, so I don't want it to update it if I can't play it again.

PittaGAF

iOS 9 seems great so far.
The most evident changes are for iPads rather than iPhone (but the new battery management looks awesome and I'll see today what I'll gain with the cool yellow battery).

PiP and the 'small' slide over (I have just an Air) are pretty awesome and useful, plus the new editing tools.
I can't wait for the Hangouts and Twitterific slide over updates and more important YouTube app supporting PiP (which I hope is coming because...you know...Google).

PiP is maybe my fav so far....I could watch live TV and videos while chatting and browsing...and that's all I needed multitasking to do on iPad really.

Can't wait for new apps with app thinning and replaykit support in the future too.

Great update so far.

EDIT: I forgot...AT LAST an iCloud Drive app!!!

EDIT 2: also shocked and pleased by how much icons real estate I gained on iPad!!!

killercow

Yeah, I agree on that too on the multitasking. They should have made a toggle for your preference of full panels vs. these slivers. Doubt it would have been a big deal.

Since you are hear and no one else has answered it. Did you see a big storage boost? I mean Apple's own site as well as multiple stories I read were bragging about how the new OS takes up over 3 GBs less so we'd have more space.

From a Forbes article:
"At just 1.4GB, iOS 9 is 3.5x smaller than previous iOS releases and will give all this additional space back to users."

I didn't gain even close to 3 GBs. Only about 200-300 MBs.

I think they got confused and talked about how the download is small compared to iOS 8.

awp69

Figured out that recent contacts moved to the left slide out (which also now has a real dedicated news section that seems to work better than their own news app).

I think they got confused and talked about how the download is small compared to iOS 8.

Yeah, I think Apple didn't make it very clear as there was more than one news story beside that Forbes article that clearly made it sound as if the footprint itself was much smaller and that, like Forbes said, we would get more space.

Oh well, guess that part was too good to be true. I always need more space.

Here's another quote from USA Today. While Forbes directly said users would "get all that space back", this is also heavily implied since they use he 16 GB model as an example:

"The new iOS 9 software, which Apple will release Wednesday, is only 1.4 gigabytes — down from the whopping 4.6 GB of the previous iOS update, which took up one-third of the entry-level 16 GB iPhone's space."

No big deal.

Xenoflare

Ugh, looks like I'll have to sleep before the update finishes downloading.

The update process itself is fully automatic once it finishes downloading right? Meaning I'll wake up with my phone all ready and sassed up with iOS 9?

killercow

I've never been one to encourage the so-called "war" with TouchArcade and as a former member of the writing staff, long time forum member and moderator, I did it with good intentions (plus I hate petty internet feuds).

But this time it's a bit more personal and even more stupid. I don't want this to be a main topic of discussion here so I'll refer you to my comment on Pete's blog if you want to read about it:
https://pixelatedparadise.wordpress...ly-roundup-160915/comment-page-1/#comment-253

Matt Frost

I didn't buy anything yesterday, fell asleep early (having a playful dog makes me really tired), can anyone vouch for a new game?

New Nitrome game revealed...and it's a roguelike

Wow, is from the creator of the fantastic Ending as well, we are in for a treat! :D

I've never been one to encourage the so-called "war" with TouchArcade and as a former member of the writing staff, long time forum member and moderator, I did it with good intentions (plus I hate petty internet feuds).

But this time it's a bit more personal and even more stupid. I don't want this to be a main topic of discussion here so I'll refer you to my comment on Pete's blog if you want to read about it:
https://pixelatedparadise.wordpress...ly-roundup-160915/comment-page-1/#comment-253

I did noticed the poop emoji in the link instead of the regular link to the blog yesterday. Wondered why it was like that...

awp69

Wow. Guess that shouldn't surprise me. But that's sad.

Of course, sites like PG routinely attribute TA where credit is due.

Fuu

The two games I'm currently playing from Capcom and SE:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies
It has this message on the app description:

・Please read [Supported iOS and Devices] before purchasing or playing.
・This application is NOT compatible with 『iOS9(including Beta)』
Please be careful of switching your Apple devices or updating your iOS, because there is a possibility of the application not operating properly.

However, I played over an hour yesterday on the iPad with iOS 9 and the game ran with no problems. iCloud saving was working properly too. Capcom may just be covering their bases after iOS 8, but it's still possible I may find a game-breaking bug later on (I was playing the DLC episode).

Final Fantasy VI
The Brazilian description of the game talks about an issue where the game only displays the English translation on iOS 9 instead of switching to your device's language. It's not a major issue, but I'm fond of the FFIV and FFVI translation jobs on mobile and I'd rather play this run of the game in Brazilian Portuguese. I tested VI on my iPad on iOS 9 and indeed the game boots in English (there's no way to change the language in-game, unfortunately).

Anyway, I won't be upgrading my phone for now, at least for a few days or until I beat AA:DD.

Anyone tried Ghost Trick with iOS 9?

I want to upgrade to 9, but Ghost Trick only just got updated to work with 8, so I don't want it to update it if I can't play it again.
I was going to download and test it and apparently it has been removed from the store. It's not even showing up in the purchased tab for me anymore. Do we know when this happened? It will be a shame if they aren't planning to put it back later.

The old link to the app:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/ghost-trick-phantom-detective/id489113377?mt=8

Curiously enough, the Japanese version is still up:
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/gosuto-torikku/id401594433?mt=8

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Unfortunately, it has.

Recent/top contacts and such things have all been consolidated under the new Spotlight/Siri assistance view (swipe all the way to the left on the Home screen).

awp69

Warhammer: Arcane Magic is on sale for $3.99 (usually $9.99). I had my eye on it and had planned on picking it up whenever I finally finish Deathwatch, but am grabbing it now.

See my post further down, This turns out to be a permanent price drop so I'm concerned that it may not be completely balanced as far as IAPs for gold. Only time will tell. It is still premium.

blackw0lf

The two games I'm currently playing from Capcom and SE:

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies
It has this message on the app description:

・Please read [Supported iOS and Devices] before purchasing or playing.
・This application is NOT compatible with 『iOS9(including Beta)』
Please be careful of switching your Apple devices or updating your iOS, because there is a possibility of the application not operating properly.

However, I played over an hour yesterday on the iPad with iOS 9 and the game ran with no problems. iCloud saving was working properly too. Capcom may just be covering their bases after iOS 8, but it's still possible I may find a game-breaking bug later on (I was playing the DLC episode).

Final Fantasy VI
The Brazilian description of the game talks about an issue where the game only displays the English translation on iOS 9 instead of switching to your device's language. It's not a major issue, but I'm fond of the FFIV and FFVI translation jobs on mobile and I'd rather play this run of the game in Brazilian Portuguese. I tested VI on my iPad on iOS 9 and indeed the game boots in English (there's no way to change the language in-game, unfortunately).

Anyway, I won't be upgrading my phone for now, at least for a few days or until I beat AA:DD.

I was going to download and test it and apparently it has been removed from the store. It's not even showing up in the purchased tab for me anymore. Do we know when this happened? It will be a shame if they aren't planning to put it back later.

The old link to the app:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/ghost-trick-phantom-detective/id489113377?mt=8

Curiously enough, the Japanese version is still up:
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/gosuto-torikku/id401594433?mt=8

The version that was available you couldn't purchase the additional chapters. So I imagine they removed it while they're fixing it.

Xenoflare

Oh, hum... I forgot that you may have to tap the "install" button before it starts the whole process. I think that's the final step before it does all the work.

Sorry!

That's fine I'm already on 9.

Uhhh there are small microstutters upon opening certain apps. I did a reset all settings but it didn't really help that much.

I'm a fan of the new font though. It feels more defined than old one for me.

Also is the App Store also affected by the surge of iOS update requests? Downloading apps is painfully slow right now on wifi

Edit: okay the new multitask screen is definitely choking when there are more than 4 apps in the background. On a iPhone 6 too.

Top Bottom