• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Much better, but still bad. Hope that app gets a new pass before the beta is all done. Just looks so disjointed.

Up to 65 stars in KR. Some of the later challenge levels are hell. Anyone purchased any of the IAP heroes? I feel like leveling up someone new.

Ministration

Neo Member
I find the shiny bubbles of Game Center super weird in relation to the rest of the super-flat UI of iOS 7. But they're still a massive improvement over the old skeuomorphic gambling table design.

Zeth

I forgot I would lose my progress in Nimble Quest when I loaded iOS 7. All my characters maxed out, 300k+ gems. :( I still hold the current guild high score for the next 16 hours with 538, LOL.

Maybe I'll stop being lazy and play something other than Nimble Quest, assuming they aren't broken by iOS 7. Might be a good thing.

Watched the brief Crytek demo with the game controllers from WWDC. Hope the controllers take off, physical buttons/touchscreen will be a great combo.

PFD

I forgot I would lose my progress in Nimble Quest when I loaded iOS 7. All my characters maxed out, 300k+ gems. :( I still hold the current guild high score for the next 16 hours with 538, LOL.

Maybe I'll stop being lazy and play something other than Nimble Quest, assuming they aren't broken by iOS 7. Might be a good thing.

Jesus how long have you been playing it?

Baldur's Gate: EE just went on sale for $5.99. Tempting...any more impressions of the port?

Buy buy buy! It's a brilliant old-school RPG, and plays really well on iPad IMO.

Baldur's Gate: EE just went on sale for $5.99. Tempting...any more impressions of the port?

If you really like that type of game then it's a steal. If you've never played it, or missed it when it originally came out you may find it a bit overwhelming. I fall into the latter camp and ended up deleting it after an hour or so.

okno

Has anyone beat Scurvy Scallywags yet? My fourth character just died and got to level 15.

I'm close. Level 19 and on the second island of the ice world. I think I have 5 more pieces of the shanty to pick up. The game is pretty easy once you figure out the mechanics. I haven't lost a single heart since level 14. Now it just feels like a giant grind fest, honestly. Still a good game for my commute, but it needs a ton more variety.

PFD

I'm very impressed with Deus Ex: The Fall:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/deus-ex-the-fall-is-totally-legit

Edit: My story doesn't mention it, but the developer is N-Space, the studio behind AirMail, which is GREAT:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-mail/id490619180?mt=8

Thanks for the article. I'm looking forward to this release.

And I got a good laugh out of the comments section

Casual gaming filth

Sorry, mobile phones is not the direction I want gaming to take. Can't support this

same here, mobile gaming is like a disease when it goes beyond games like angry birds

No, go away, we don't want your stupid mobile games. I don't want to hear how this isn't a cash in, it is. If they wanted to make a game, they should have made it for consoles.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
And I got a good laugh out of the comments section

Amazing how threatened some people seem to be when mobile gaming isn't really taking anything away from the console market in general. Mobile is arising from the failures of the console industry, not causing it.

kodt

Banned
Amazing how threatened some people seem to be when mobile gaming isn't really taking anything away from the console market in general. Mobile is arising from the failures of the console industry, not causing it.

Yup, although when a new Deus Ex was hinted at everyone automatically assumed a full console sequel ala Deus Ex: HR and feel like mobile "stole" their sequel.

Heel

I think it's only going to get more heated as time goes on. I can see gamers thinking it's "mobile's fault" that Nintendo is making their first f2p game, Killer Instinct is f2p with one character unlocked, etc.

Anilones

Has anyone beat Scurvy Scallywags yet? My fourth character just died and got to level 15.
I have one Verse to collect. After finding the penultimate the next level threw all the bosses at me along with a permanent wall covering most of the level - I promptly died dispite having all four hearts at the beginning and being over level 30.

kodt

Banned
Finally got around to playing Plague Inc. Is there any real gameplay value in the different disease types? Took a few tries to beat the first one, I just sold off any symptoms, and put points into infection and survive-ability. Then sit back and wait until 100% of the world is infected. Then use all the points you have racked up to go straight for organ failure.

I completed the first 5 disease types using this exact same strategy and then the game seemed to get boring. Using any other strategy would result in a cure being developed.

Is there actual repay value beyond this or not really?

PFD

Finally got around to playing Plague Inc. Is there any real gameplay value in the different disease types? Took a few tries to beat the first one, I just sold off any symptoms, and put points into infection and survive-ability. Then sit back and wait until 100% of the world is infected. Then use all the points you have racked up to go straight for organ failure.

I completed the first 5 disease types using this exact same strategy and then the game seemed to get boring. Using any other strategy would result in a cure being developed.

Is there actual repay value beyond this or not really?

Yes, the disease types play very differently, and they keep adding new ones.

Much better, but still bad. Hope that app gets a new pass before the beta is all done. Just looks so disjointed.

Up to 65 stars in KR. Some of the later challenge levels are hell. Anyone purchased any of the IAP heroes? I feel like leveling up someone new.

I bought the dragon. He's probably OP but really cool. Lots of AOE attacks. I beat it on veteran last night. I just have 3 achievements left and I'll have 100% completion.

Owzers

If you really like that type of game then it's a steal. If you've never played it, or missed it when it originally came out you may find it a bit overwhelming. I fall into the latter camp and ended up deleting it after an hour or so.

i'm reading that the controls on Baldur's Gate are really bad, did you run into a lot of problems?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I hope you guys like new-age, tacky bubbles better than green felt:
Because when I think of games, first thing I obviously think of is gambling. Thank you based Ive that stupid Vegas crap is gone. I can't believe that on GAF of all places people weren't more bothered by this. Bubbles are at least inoffensive.

Heel

Some interesting API stuff for iOS 7:

ReadWrite

Multipeer Connectivity – The peer-to-peer connectivity is essentially the new sharing features in iOS 7. Discovers nearby devices and directs communication without an Internet connection.

Games – In addition to the Game Controller and Sprite Kit, improvements have been made to Game Center (including a complete design overhaul, like the rest of iOS 7). New features let players interact with each other via chat, simultaneous turns and trading. Leaderboards have been expanded to 100 from 25. Developers can also add new features to help prevent cheating in the game.

Mac Rumors

Game Center - iOS 7 adds new turn-based gaming modes (including simultaneous turns, chats, and trades) along with new methods for player authentication and secure game score transmission. This feature is likely designed to cut down on hacked Game Center scores from jailbroken devices.

Curious to see what else they've added on the games front. Any devs out there want to chime in?

It's been said before, but I wish they'd just take it a step further let you connect your GameCenter ID to iMessage and chat out of game...

Pachimari

I really wish Apple will add a chat system or messages system to Game Center someday - would make it much more useful and interactive. I love the new design though. Real slick.

matt360

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but Simpsons Tapped Out got a really big update today with an entire new area.

Some interesting API stuff for iOS 7:

Curious to see what else they've added on the games front. Any devs out there want to chime in?

It's been said before, but I wish they'd just take it a step further let you connect your GameCenter ID to iMessage and chat out of game...

Good on the score authentication. There's a bunch of people on Sonic 1 who've finished Green Hill 1 in less than 1 second.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Rayman Jungle Run seems to be on sale for $0.99.

Picking it up.

Best game of the AppStore in 2012 and all around my favorite platformer from last year.
A masterpiece. Can't wait for the sequel, hopefully they'll give us the closing 20 levels first. It's also amazing value, I hope the sequel stays true to it with non necessary IAPs or just characters anyway.

ElyrionX

I caved and bought KRF. And also bought the IAP wizard hero. I can't help it. I love mages.

So far, I am at mission 10 or so. Game is getting hard. New towers are a bit of a mixed bag for me. I think I prefer the old archer towers while the new barrracks are definitely better.

Also, what do you guys prefer when it comes to the level 4 upgrades? The mech tower looks cool but I find the dwarp's fire damage ability to be too powerful to give up especially since it synergizes so well with the range aura from the crossbow tower. As for the mage towers, Necromancer seems a lot more useful than Archmage especially since this game throws a lot more enemies at you and there are relatively few insta-kill abilities.

i'm reading that the controls on Baldur's Gate are really bad, did you run into a lot of problems?

It's not that they're bad, but more that they don't translate well to touch (imo). This is a game that comes from the era where more was expected of the player. Items which can be interacted with are not explicitly highlighted, nor is your attention intentionally drawn to a specific "hot zone". On a touch device it comes across as a very matte, dull (yet quite expansive) environment that you are left to flounder in and discover some sort of interactivity/narrative.

My complaints are likely more targeted toward the game itself as a 2013 experience rather than the iOS port.

This is coming from someone that loved the old Gold Box games and things like Darklands...but I think I've moved on.

Anno

I caved and bought KRF. And also bought the IAP wizard hero. I can't help it. I love mages.

So far, I am at mission 10 or so. Game is getting hard. New towers are a bit of a mixed bag for me. I think I prefer the old archer towers while the new barrracks are definitely better.

Also, what do you guys prefer when it comes to the level 4 upgrades? The mech tower looks cool but I find the dwarp's fire damage ability to be too powerful to give up especially since it synergizes so well with the range aura from the crossbow tower. As for the mage towers, Necromancer seems a lot more useful than Archmage especially since this game throws a lot more enemies at you and there are relatively few insta-kill abilities.

1 dwarp at the major intersection of a map, mechs with max missiles, lots of crossbow towers and a couple necros where you need to slow things down. Used very few barracks this time through, though I prefer the assassins.

How is the wizard guy? Trying to decide which IAP dude to buy.

ElyrionX

1 dwarp at the major intersection of a map, mechs with max missiles, lots of crossbow towers and a couple necros where you need to slow things down. Used very few barracks this time through, though I prefer the assassins.

How is the wizard guy? Trying to decide which IAP dude to buy.

Glass cannon. Very squishy but very powerful. He moves by teleport so he gets around the map very quickly.

Based on impressions on the official forums, it seems like he's right up there in terms of power.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You've got a lot of money saved up there. If I'm ever even at like 400 I start freaking out that I'm lagging on upgrading. Currently working my way through all the stars -- at 54/75 with 0 IAP or even use of gems. Once those extra levels come out though I'll probably splurge on a new Hero.

ahayschi

Neo Member
You've got a lot of money saved up there. If I'm ever even at like 400 I start freaking out that I'm lagging on upgrading. Currently working my way through all the stars -- at 54/75 with 0 IAP or even use of gems. Once those extra levels come out though I'll probably splurge on a new Hero.

I'm usually like you and worry that I'm not upgrading quick enough for the next wave. But
the final boss sort-of 'requires' a cash pile to take on effectively, at least in my experience! This was my second attempt at the level.

In Frontiers I've found that you really don't need to use any gem items for the levels playing casual mode. Some of the heros from IAP are really nice, however.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
(KR:F spoilers)

I've been playing on Normal and yeah the last level is hilarious. I honestly stopped even paying attention to my buildings getting wiped out but somehow still pulled through. Do need to go back and upgrade the two stars to three though. Just have the last three levels left where I need to do that, then about half the levels where I need Hero and Iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom