• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread May 2013: Another board thread, now with 4X the backlog

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The reason the beta is taking so long is because each turn is in innovative real-time, it is engineered to be fully engrossing in all aspects. Rodeo are a truly forward-thinking, low-hanging fruit picking group of guys that aren't afraid of climbing the strategic staircase to reach the true potential of iOS gaming in 2013 and beyond.

You balk at it now, but can you imagine playing the same iOS game for weeks on end? I sure can.

Weeks!

But does the Warhammer™ universe offer up a visceral experience unlike anything else on the iOS platform?

dream

The thing about me is I am fucking stupid, and I can't play even mildly complex games because I get confused and frustrated and question why I'm trying to play things that erode my self-esteem. I remember AstroLad trying to explain Carcasonne to me once, and I smiled, nodded, took his advice, and ended up hating myself because I had no idea what to do when I actually started playing the thing.

That said, I bought King of Dragon Pass the first time it went on sale and for the past year or so, I've been trying to play this thing--and failing miserably at it. There's so much to do and so much to keep track of. Being a king is hard.

But I decided that it's time to be a man, so I sat down with it and pledged to keep playing it over and over again until I started to get it. And while I don't fully get it, I think I finally get it enough to confidently declare this to be one of greatest things I've ever played. My god. Being a king is fun.

So basically I just wanted to let everyone know that:
A) I'm dumb.
B) King of Dragon Pass is just phenomenal, and I think everyone who hasn't played it should play it immediately (I'm mostly directing this at you, Heel).

PS: it's not really that difficult to learn; menus are just anathema to me.

SteveWD40

The thing about me is I am fucking stupid, and I can't play even mildly complex games because I get confused and frustrated and question why I'm trying to play things that erode my self-esteem. I remember AstroLad trying to explain Carcasonne to me once, and I smiled, nodded, took his advice, and ended up hating myself because I had no idea what to do when I actually started playing the thing.

That said, I bought King of Dragon Pass the first time it went on sale and for the past year or so, I've been trying to play this thing--and failing miserably at it. There's so much to do and so much to keep track of. Being a king is hard.

But I decided that it's time to be a man, so I sat down with it and pledged to keep playing it over and over again until I started to get it. And while I don't fully get it, I think I finally get it enough to confidently declare this to be one of greatest things I've ever played. My god. Being a king is fun.

So basically I just wanted to let everyone know that:
A) I'm dumb.
B) King of Dragon Pass is just phenomenal, and I think everyone who hasn't played it should play it immediately (I'm mostly directing this at you, Heel).

Kudos, I still find that game too hard to get into.

dream

Kudos, I still find that game too hard to get into.
I hear ya. The approach I took was to get systematic with it by figuring out one aspect at a time. For example, I spent a game going through the magic system, sacrificing to different gods ("why am I sacrificing to this god instead of this other one?"), building different shrines ("okay, so if I sacrifice to this god, I'll get these blessings, and each shrine works as a toggle for each blessing"), and figuring out how to best leverage each god's specialty depending on the type of tribe I was developing. So if I was playing a peaceful, self-sustaining tribe, I'd beeline for the gods with the best farming benefits. If I was in George W. Bush mode, I'd go for the gods who offered the best combat perks.

By figuring out one system at a time, I started seeing the connections between each aspect of the game, and the entire thing started making sense to me. I'm not sure if this would work for you (like I said, I sat down and decided that I had to figure this game out because my pride was on the line), but it might be worth a shot if you have any inclination to return to the game.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
If you like Drop 7, you should check out Eighty-Eight. It's like the same thing, but better.

Is Ms Splosion Man grindy at all? Can I play through levels consecutively without any IAP speed-bumps?

Not grindy at all. You have to pay coins to unlock levels but you earn plenty enough to unlock the levels as you need them. It seems IAP is only for cheats and stuff that I don't use.

SteveWD40

I hear ya. The approach I took was to get systematic with it by figuring out one aspect at a time. For example, I spent a game going through the magic system, sacrificing to different gods ("why am I sacrificing to this god instead of this other one?"), building different shrines ("okay, so if I sacrifice to this god, I'll get these blessings, and each shrine works as a toggle for each blessing"), and figuring out how to best leverage each god's specialty depending on the type of tribe I was developing. So if I was playing a peaceful, self-sustaining tribe, I'd beeline for the gods with the best farming benefits. If I was in George W. Bush mode, I'd go for the gods who offered the best combat perks.

By figuring out one system at a time, I started seeing the connections between each aspect of the game, and the entire thing started making sense to me. I'm not sure if this would work for you (like I said, I sat down and decided that I had to figure this game out because my pride was on the line), but it might be worth a shot if you have any inclination to return to the game.

Yikes. I may try it this weekend.

Don't know how many people still pay attention to Groove Coaster Zero but the third Niconico Music Pack was released recently - this one entirely devoted to wowaka (including World's End Dancehall, Rollingirl, and Unhappy Refrain). The content gap between people connecting to the store with a Japanese IP and everyone else has increased even more as well, with now more than half of the available paid content completely unavailable to the majority of users. It's like they don't care about making money.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for the heads-up, I just picked it up then. The narration is outstanding.

Does anyone know what the time the iTunes store typically updates at in Australia? I have the day off and I'd rather avoid the nice weather we're having and spend it playing Ace Patrol if it's going to go up at a decent time.

This has been on my backlog for PC for a while now. It looks brilliant. This month has been great for iOS releases.

This game coming out tonight, IMPOSSIBLE ROAD seems rather neat. The art style and potential GAF challenge (no IAP booster stuff from what I can tell) caught my eye.

Trailer: http://youtu.be/nYguEgV5eak

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/impossible-road/id608707318?mt=8

Will be $1.99

I've been playing it for a little bit and have managed to get a best score of 33.

I think it is just "ok". This applies to most of the major elements. The gameplay? Ok. The music? It is ok, nothing special like other similar titles. Options, unlockables or IAPs? Nope you are straight into it from the start.

At the risk of "sucking at games" I feel it is a lot more luck based then similar games like super hexagon. This is because when you make a jump or even take a series of difficult corners you have no idea what is coming up ahead of you. This is of course because you have a big white ball in the centre of the screen blocking out the view. Sometimes you fade into nothing, sometimes you hit a bit of road and can continue only to face the exact same problem instants later.

This is probably all intentional and it is of course titled "Impossible Road" not "Stick at it you will get better Road" but it is still sitting dangling on the wrong side of frustration for me at this stage.

People might master it and achieve a higher evolved state of consciousness, but I doubt I ever will. It just doesn't seem worth the effort. Still, probably worth a look for a couple of bucks, but I'm not sure it is a keeper yet.

Megasoum

Banned
Ughhh.... Talk about first world problem...

I bought an iPad 4th gen 16 gigs in January... Loving it, I've been using it everyday since.

This morning I received a brand new iPad mini 64 gigs at work to thank me for my 5 years of service. Even engraved with my name on the back.

So now I'm stuck with too many ipads lol.

I don't want to sell the mini cause 1- it has my name on the back and 2- Hey, I love my job and it's a nice gift so it would suck to get rid of it.

I don't want to sell the 4th gen cause I love the big screen, the retina and the more powerfull CPU...

Ughhh....this sucks lol.

Does anyone know what the time the iTunes store typically updates at in Australia? I have the day off and I'd rather avoid the nice weather we're having and spend it playing Ace Patrol if it's going to go up at a decent time.

The rule for scheduled worldwide releases is midnight local time on the easternmost part of the country. I don't know what this is for Australia; for the US it's midnight in Puerto Rico.

I have an iPad 2 64GB wifi+3G that I think I want to sell to get an iPad 4 32GB (maybe with LTE). Anyone know the difference I'd have to pay given the sellers market?

Gibran7

Soooo - anyone try leviathan - any impressions ?? Other then the hilarious trailer - haven't really heard much.

Megasoum

Banned
Keep in mind though that it is powering a much higher resolution screen. In terms of real world performance I don't think it is that huge of a difference.

Yeah... I just don't know if the potential 400$ or so is worth switching from Retina 4th Gen to Mini...

PFD

Ughhh.... Talk about first world problem...

I bought an iPad 4th gen 16 gigs in January... Loving it, I've been using it everyday since.

This morning I received a brand new iPad mini 64 gigs at work to thank me for my 5 years of service. Even engraved with my name on the back.

So now I'm stuck with too many ipads lol.

I don't want to sell the mini cause 1- it has my name on the back and 2- Hey, I love my job and it's a nice gift so it would suck to get rid of it.

I don't want to sell the 4th gen cause I love the big screen, the retina and the more powerfull CPU...

Ughhh....this sucks lol.

That is quite the predicament. I totally understand not selling the mini, as that would be just rude, thus I offer to relieve you of this burden by asking you to send it my way. I'll take good care of it, don't worry.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
OK impossible road is meh. Dissapointed.

The turning is not tight enough or something.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Still no ace patrol.

So much for launching world wide on the ninth. That said, Civ Rev is making time go by much faster than it should be. Hopefully it goes up sooner rather than later and hasn't been delayed.

The rule for scheduled worldwide releases is midnight local time on the easternmost part of the country. I don't know what this is for Australia; for the US it's midnight in Puerto Rico.

Yeah seems to be midnight EST for Australia.

luke.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll stop hammering the iTunes store search service.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Not showing up in the UK app store, wtf is going on with this release?

As far as I can tell AcePatrol still isn't available through the AppStore (at least it isn't here in Au) but I discovered that you can still download it by:

1 - Going here: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/sid-meiers-ace-patrol/id583000830?mt=8
2 - Click on the ViewInItunes button
3 - Once iTunes opens on your PC/Mac, click on "Download/Install"
4 - Cancel the download after it starts
5 - Go to your iPad/iOS device and bring up the AppStore
6 - Click on the Purchased button
7 - Click on the Download link next to the AcePatrol entry in your purchased games list.
8 - Play some Civ Rev while you wait impatiently for it to download

This works for the free version. I haven't tried purchasing any of the DLC yet. Hopefully it works for you guys as well while we wait for Apple to slowly update the online store.

Edit: You might need to replace the 'au' in the URL above to the prefix for your country

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
When is Warhammer Quest coming out?

Impossible Road doesn't seem to handle very well in the trailer, anyone else played it?

colinp

Banned
Ace Patrol is pretty damn fun. Only have played for twenty minutes but quite good so far. Lots of upgrades for your pilots and interesting aerial combat as a result. Evn minor cosmetic things for your planes and pilots are neat. Really fun so far, but still early.

colinp

Banned
But accidently doing a forced landing sucks :/

Misguidingly sending a rookie into a mission alone and getting them shot down sucks, too, haha.

Love the maneuver upgrades. Really sharp game. The extremely basic explosion "animations" give it a nice charm, too.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Ace Patrol is pretty damn fun. Only have played for twenty minutes but quite good so far. Lots of upgrades for your pilots and interesting aerial combat as a result. Evn minor cosmetic things for your planes and pilots are neat. Really fun so far, but still early.

I just finished the first five missions of the British campaign and it seems to be really great. My tactic of hiding (camping?) in the clouds seems to be working well against the Germans so far. The engine/weapon upgrades for good mission performance are a nice inclusion. Little things like the visible season changes at the airfield as campaigns wear on, aircraft by the runway upgrading to the latest planes as time progresses etc are all nice touches.

The game is everything I was wanting it to be so far. It won't be for everyone but if you're into TBS, you should definitely check it out.

All I'd ask for now is a dynamic campaign with some degree of resource management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom