• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Hidden Gems

This controlled precisely as shitely as I thought it would and I am sad.
I thought it controls pretty well. I'm down to 7 seconds on some levels and on TA, others have reported that they have gotten 5 seconds on some. So IMO the controls work, just take some getting used to

NoPiece

I've played more Disc Drivin than any other iOS game. Was one of the first async multiplayer games to really work well. Simple but nearly perfect..

Disc-Drivin-2.png

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

putermcgee

Here are some older favorites of mine. They might have not been so hidden at launch, but they probably aren't on anyone's radar now.

30 Second Life:
A simple two-button button-mashing game about life. How fast you mash the buttons determines how hard you work throughout your life. The fun in this game is seeing the different paths you can take by working harder or hardly working.

Tug the Table / Wrestle Jump:
If you don't have at least Wrestle Jump, you need to reevaluate your life (or maybe you just don't have any friends). These are both two-player same device games, and are a bunch of fun no matter if you're playing against your niece/nephew/son/daughter, your best friend/significant other, or your parents.

Pac-Man Battle Royale:
Sadly, I don't think this is in the store anymore. If you were luck enough to get it when it was around, it's a fun multiplayer Pac-Man game based on the arcade version you might find at Dave & Busters or the odd Japanese arcade. Try to find a friend who has this!

Ziggurat:
This game is simple, yet one of the most fair and difficult iOS games out there. It's developed by Tim Rogers, and it has a really good soundtrack. The only downside to the music is that it starts from the beginning every time you die (unlike in Super Hexagon where you get to hear different parts of the track). However, since the game is scripted, it makes sense for the music to work that way. I recommend buying the game, and also getting the soundtrack off Bandcamp.

Mini Squadron:
This is an oldie but goodie. You fly around cute backgrounds, shooting down enemy aircraft to classical music. I still think it's worth playing even though it hasn't been updated for retina or the new larger iPhone screens. If you're on the fence, the special edition version is free.

Flip's Escape / The Last Rocket:
I haven't played a lot of The Last Rocket, but I enjoyed what I did play. The game I really like is its sequel, Flip's Escape. It sadly hasn't been updated for the newer iPhone screens, but it still plays well. It's an endless flying game of sorts, and your rocket bounces left and right across the screen as it propels forward to escape the approaching explosion. Touching the screen stops your horizontal movement, and also slows you down a bit. You use this mechanic to avoid obstacles and collect stars that boost your shield and warp drive. This one also has a good soundtrack.

^^^
Wrestle Jump/Tug The Table are both great games, as is Ziggurat. Still need to get The Last Rocket

If you like Wrestle Jump, check out Madman Drop. Similar controls, different gameplay style

Yeah it probably will, once again. Always happens. Last time has been gone for a year, iirc. It's been coming and going at least 3 times, you never know when/if it'll be gone for good (we all assumed they'd never come back this time).

Maybe I'm missing something obvious - but why does it keep disappearing?

Beat Drift - iTunes | Trailer
screen568x568.jpeg

Honestly I think this is the best twitchy reflex evasion I've played since Super Hexagon. Better than Duet, Boson, etc. It's simple and streamlined like SH, the controls and speed are perfect, the music is great, and it's just plain addictive
It has that great Super Hexagon appeal of making progress by tenths of a second and then instantly restarting to go again, especially on the expert difficulty. The controls are simple and very responsive, left side to move left, right to move right. You can move up walls and along the ceiling to evade incoming obstacles. Sometimes the screen rotates to change the orientation, sometimes it doesn't, so you have to stay focused on what direction to move. As you go further, new obstacles are introduced like spirals that you must rotate continuously to avoid. There are four difficulty modes, each one faster than the last and each with their own music track.

Third Epoch: Rising - iTunes
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

Wonderfully minimalist, deep turn based combat, exploration, RPG elements, and free with no IAP

Oh My Heart - iTunes | Trailer
screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

This game is really good. A bit simple, but very hectic and frantic, satisfying to kill enemies, and there's some strategy too (bombs cost coins so you can't use them mindlessly, enemies are stunned longer if they fall from higher up)

Sushi Snake - iTunes
screen568x568.jpeg

You control your snake by swiping (took a bit to figure that out, controls aren't clear at first). The goal is to collect all the pellets in each maze-like level. Like with the regular Snake game, you can't pass through your own body. Pellets of different colors change you to that color and let you pass through other colored blocks (so blue can pass through red and green, but not blue). This mechanic turns Sushi Snake from simple "Snake" game to a colorful and challenging puzzle game as one must figure out the correct path to succeed

I also like the minimalist menu design and gameplay presentation. There are four groups of levels and if each has 12 levels like the first one does, then the game has 68 levels. I think that's a nice amount of content and I'm already get stumped in the first section. The other sections up the complexity of the puzzles by adding multiple snakes; I've only played two of those levels, but it seems that the same colored snakes move simultaneously and you can eat other snakes to take their color. So yeah, that definitely makes the puzzles more intricate and challenging

ArcBreaker - iTunes | Trailer
screen568x568.jpeg

Plays like Super Hexagon + brick breaker, pretty challenging, touch controls, levels not endless

no angel

Has anyone said Drop7 yet? If not then Drop7. I don't even care if it's not a hidden gem because Drop7.

I expect it's old enough now for some people not to have heard of it though.

putermcgee

Drop7 is such a good game. Actually, they used to have a demo version (way before Zynga started distributing it) and that was maybe my favorite way to play. Whatever the limits were in that version, it was perfect for a short train ride.

I checked this one out, and couldn't get into it. I felt like the round went on for too long, especially for how little it varies throughout the whole thing. I see that it's a high scoring game if you're into iOS leaderboards, but I personally never pay attention the global boards since there are too many people hacking their way to the top.

I got this and boy did the controls frustrate me.
The game designer was pretty active online when it launched, and his tips for how to work the controls turned a lot of people around on it. I found a method that suited me early on, and fell in love with it from the start.

Honestly iOS, Xbox live, PSN have sooo many titles I don't know are there because of there crap store system that hides everything except the top apps somewhere

putermcgee

Honestly iOS, Xbox live, PSN have sooo many titles I don't know are there because of there crap store system that hides everything except the top apps somewhere
Download AppShopper or the Toucharcade app. They both have great app discovery features, not relying solely on AppStore charts.

My sources for finding under-the-radar/indie IOS games;
- Toucharcade forums
- SlideDB
- IOS subreddit, Play My Game subreddit
- TIGForums
- IndieStatik
- JayIsGames

bonesquad

You forgot to mention NeoGAF and users like More_Badass! My contribution:

Shellblast Forever - iTunes | Trailer

A neat combination of minesweeper and picross, and made by GAFs very own chubigans (the creator of other such gems as Cook, Serve, Delicious)! Plus as of this posting the game is free.

wondermega

Has anyone said Drop7 yet? If not then Drop7. I don't even care if it's not a hidden gem because Drop7.

I expect it's old enough now for some people not to have heard of it though.

I thought this game looked boring and pointless and ignored it for a few years. And then I finally gave it a couple of tries and ended up playing it more than any game ever. In my life. For real.

Finally I got drunk and lost my iPhone and have never redownloaded it since. I've been clean for about a year now. Stay away!

Also download my game cause it is great :)

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Don't have a game to recommend, but picked up this trick while looking up a recommended game.

If the game is also on Android and in the Amazon App Store, if you have an Amazon account, you can try the game/app for 15 minutes for free on an emulated smart device.

Tractor Beam
iTunes | Trailer
screen568x568.jpeg

Tractor Beam is a powerfully simple and addictive arcade game inspired by the classics. Unarmed and out of fuel, to survive you must slingshot your ship through an asteroid field using only your tractor beam. But the beam will also send the asteroids on a collision course with your ship, making for a unique challenge as you press onward to rack up points.

Tractor Beam can be played in either portrait or landscape orientation, and multi-touch gameplay allows for more than one beam and complex strategies. The procedurally generated background music is never the same twice, or choose to listen to your own music from within the iPod application.

Mini Dash
iTunes | Trailer
screen568x568.jpeg

Mini Dash is a frenetic, fun, fast platformer that oozes quality. Full of ideas and unexpected turns, it will have you hooked the moment you tap its beautifully formed icon!

Take control of our hero and dash into the trap-filled worlds of Mini Dash. It’s the classic left, right, jump controls but it a world turned, literally, on its head! Loads of inventive levels are served up each challenging you to find the exit – sounds simple until you factor in the deadly dashing hazards that litter the landscape.

Paint It Back
iTunes | Trailer
screen568x568.jpeg

The art has disappeared from the gallery! Can you paint it back?
Recreate lost paintings by using your mind!
Use logic as your paintbrush to solve each painting's unique puzzle!

Super Splatform
iTunes | Trailer
screen568x568.jpeg

Can you bounce? Super Splatform is a challenging platforming game. Guide Ol' Splat through 50 levels spread over 5 worlds, as you hone your leaping skills to find the least jumps possible through each level, to earn gold! Find the hidden coins in each level to unlock extra play modes. Ascend from the earth, to the clouds, into space, and beyond the infinite!

Hoplite
iTunes | Trailer
screen568x568.jpeg

Hoplite is a turn-based strategy game focusing on tactical movement around small maps.

• Challenging gameplay that makes you think before you act. Every move counts!
• Make strategical choices to upgrade your abilities.
• Earn achievements and unlock access to new upgrades.
• Procedurally generated levels give a new experience every play.
• No in-app purchases. Access the full game without ever having to pay more.

T-Def - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id720781977
A unique combination of the classic T-block game and the defense genre. No money, no selling. Just pure frantic action!
screen480x480.jpeg

---
Gravity Badgers - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id671615894
Throw yourself into the planets' gravity, dodge asteroids and unyielding deadly bosses in over a hundred levels of vacuum-filled adventure and danger, all united under a stunning art style reminiscent of all your favourite 80's cartoons complete with a thumping mullet rock soundtrack!
The game has highly addictive physics-based action with 140 challenging levels that will keep bringing you back for more. And if that wasnt enough it also has five big boss levels including the giant Space Worm, the deadly Doomsphere and five Gravity Badger characters to unlock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slpm8YBQDrw

screen568x568.jpeg

---
Wingsuit: Promixity Project - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id782070641
Feel the rush of Wingsuit BASE jumping and proximity flying with The Proximity Project. The closer and faster you fly to the cliff the more points you score, and the more points you score the more levels and wingsuits you unlock! There are 6 different mountains to explore and conquer, with 13 distinct courses to master.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc22FGRLPgE

screen568x568.jpeg

---
Spheria - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id755507892
Spheria is an arcade game where we control a rolling ball through different maps designed for giving you a good challenge. Unlock new balls, get all achivements and reach the highest score on the online highscore table.
Play as you wish, choose between two control modes (Touch & Moving phone) and find the best that fits your style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkTOjeWhvB0

screen568x568.jpeg

---
Commanager - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id776895569
Commanager is a strategy game where the player needs to create and manage a commercial building area shops , services, and be mindful of everything and all clients to sell and enrich with your strategy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ZMHdLBab0

screen568x568.jpeg

---
Man Alive - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id657712179
Man Alive is a platform game with a twist. We are playing with the idea that death is not the end. There are no health packs because well..
We promote death in Man Alive! Actually, you MUST to kill yourself to progress in our game.

screen568x568.jpeg

elfinke

Good thread, some great suggestions in here I hadn't come across.

I've two or three recommendations.

First off, DragonSlasher. Terrible name, wonderful Souls-esque game delivered in a nice 2d visual style:

screen480x480.jpeg

Second, something a little different. Football Management RPG. Less focus on the actual tactics side of football management, and more focus on dealing with personalities and stereotypes of the football universe. I had a bunch of fun with it.

screen568x568.jpeg

And while I don't think it is an unknown gem, given there are always new people to the iOS platform it is an easy recommendation to make for those people. DungeonRaid. By far my favourite 'match-things-together-style' game, with a delightful risk vs reward system in place. If you get a thrill out of ghost mining in Spelunky, or equipping RPG characters with items that allow you to do great damage while near death, DungeonRaid will let you scratch that itch in every game.

screen480x480.jpeg

Quantum

This is an excellent thread - (and an expensive one so far)

I'd add:

Blosics - a physics game, with an obvious angry birds comparison but so much better as you progress you earn a ton of different launchers which interact with the environment in multiple ways - your goal is to gather as many points by knocking one color object off the screen while keeping another on screen. fantastic game (wish they would convert the 2nd and 3rd to ios)

Azkend was this too much of a hit? a slide matching game with powerups, a phenomenal game well worth your time. it was followed by a disappointing second game (azkend 2) due to the decreased size of tiles and increased number of random tiles.

Mission Europa a strange FPS where you run around killing even stranger mobs. the game is huge - ultimately you will give up before seeing all of the levels (although many are the same)

Space Miner had to have been a hit, but its old by ios standards - by far the best asteroid mining simulation game I've played on any platform - you upgrade every aspect of your ship and genuinely enjoy each power-up slowly clearing a ton of sectors.

Paladog! send your mobs from left to right to swarm the opposions castle - unique characters, fun upgrades - another old IOS game with substance and fun (and a paladin dog?)

Sad Robot endless space runner moving upwards avoiding incoming obstacles. great music, simplistic and very enjoyable.

(Just a few of the staple games that I really like that I wouldn't consider very big hits)

Blosics is on IOS! That was my favorite flash game for a while when I was younger
---

TCHOW Rainbow
iTunes | Trailer
This is a great game and even though the prototype version was on PC, it's the kind of game that was made for touch. TCHOW is a great indie dev, I've played a few of his other games, and Rainbow is probably one of his best.

Wouldn't really call it a puzzler, maybe an action puzzle game, but it's more about maneuvering and finding the best path through each maze like level. The game offers a nice amount of replay value, as each level has four objectives: simply complete the level, collect all stars, complete the level without lifting your finger, and complete a level only splitting your rainbow X amount of times. You can play each level multiple times and need different strategies for each of those objectives

The art style is wonderful, it's challenging but not unfair (you can always see where your path is going to lead you), and the developer plans to add more content depending on how well the game does.

screen568x568.jpeg
screen568x568.jpeg

elfinke

This is an excellent thread - (and an expensive one so far)

I'd add:

Space Miner had to have been a hit, but its old by ios standards - by far the best asteroid mining simulation game I've played on any platform - you upgrade every aspect of your ship and genuinely enjoy each power-up slowly clearing a ton of sectors.

(Just a few of the staple games that I really like that I wouldn't consider very big hits)

Oh man, what a cracking great game this is! Reminded me a lot of Escape Velocity, a neat Mac game from yesteryear.

Oh man, what a cracking great game this is! Reminded me a lot of Escape Velocity, a neat Mac game from yesteryear.
If you enjoy Space Miner, you guys need to check out Starborn Anarkist. You create and customize your spaceship and then fight against enemies and bosses. It's more frantic bullet hell, arcadey, but the customization is very deep and allows for various playstyles

jackal27

Banned
I love this thread.

I just played this game for review recently:

Heroes of Steel is free on the App Store and also Android if you're into that.

heroes_of_steel_release.png

Heroes of Steel is is a strategy RPG that fans of Shining Force or Fire Emblem should dig. Playing the prologue will take you a few hours and after that you have the option to spend $.99 on the first chapter which is about 10-15 hours long. Even more, the creators have let me know that they are soon releasing Chapter 1.5 which will be free to those who purchased chapter 1 already and will add an additional 10-15 hours of gameplay!

Some of the art is a little...bad, but overall the game looks and plays great. I was especially taken aback by how well the touch interface works. Nothing in the way this game controls feels like a hassle and that's always a plus for me. I also love how you need to manage each character's strengths in and outside of battle.

If you like RPGs and have an iPhone, you definitely need to check this game out.

Forget-me-Not 1.99

http://youtu.be/zUhrrz3QVvs

mzl.mglmyvuk.320x480-75.jpg

One of my favorite ios games. Like an acid induced mashup of roguelikes and pacman. Pure old school arcade action.

Edit- according to his site, nyarlu.net it's been taken down temporarily :/

Created and released this game earlier this year, and it did okay. But mostly went under the radar. Today, I made the game free temporarily, so check it out if you like.

Nameless: the Hackers RPG

It's like a visual novel / rpg hybrid with turn-based battles in a hacker world.

iTunes Link: https://itunes.apple.com/app/nameless-the-hackers-rpg/id572128073
And this one. Thanks for making this by the way, I can tell how much you put ino it. I love it!

Top Bottom