• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Hidden Gems

Goli

Everyday hundreds of games are released on iTunes/the App Store, and there are many like Kingdom Rush, Infinity Blade or the Final Fantasy ports that get extensive coverage on gaming sites such as IGN, Pocket Gamer, Slide to Play and such, but there are also many noteworthy games that go by without much attention simply because it's impossible to keep track of everything that gets released, which is why lately I've been browsing around looking for things that I have missed.

For example, today I found out Touch Detective and Touch Detective 2 1/2 have been ported and enhanced with new features for iOS over the DS originals.

Today I also found out about BATTRIX Floating Continent, a game made by Opus Studio of Half Minute Hero fame.
In BATTRIX you begin by creating a character, the hero of the game, and then thrown into the world. The game's world is split into tiles that you go around liberating.
mzl.uxgsuujd.320x480-75.jpg

Liberating is done by battling the monsters that populate the tile you battle in.
mzl.frrwkwks.320x480-75.jpg

During battles the monsters show up on a 5 x 5 grid, and during your turns you get to choose which weapon to attack them with. Each weapon has a different impact radius and during each turn you get to pick which to use against monsters, depending on their formation. Defeat them and the tile is liberated, which in turn grants you access to adjacent tiles to liberate them and so on.
I've been playing it for a bit and I really like it, though i admit that what caught my eye at first was the fact that it used HMH's art style. Also it's completely free, with IAP for those who may want it.

I thought it deserved a little more recognition (the game's leaderboard shows about 13k players so far, which isn't very much...), which is in part why I made this thread, but also because I want to know about other games that don't get the recognition they deserve that people here may know about, so share them!

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Titus: A macabre, Tim Burton-y political satire in the form of a singleplayer party game wherein you run for increasingly higher levels of political office. The minigames themselves aren't anything to write home about, but its all tied together in a very cool, semi-subversive presentation with a light strategic element. Definitely flawed, but as someone wanting a unique political campaign strategy game on iOS, I was pretty sated.

uyFFaeU.jpg

Gangxxter

Does Plague Inc. count as hidden gem? It's already over one year old but I just found out about it last week. I'm adddicted to it, would never have guessed that a mobile game can make so much fun!

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
One of my favorites is Corrypt - sort of Zelda 1-ish
until about halfway through
. You move through a dungeon, do a few fetch quests/box pushing/girl rescuing. Then the rug (by which I mean the fabric of spacetime) is yanked out from underneath you. Most hard games are that way because of the constraints imposed upon you - this is the exact opposite.

Elija2

Bug Heroes is a mix between tower defense and dual-stick shooter. You basically see how long you can survive wave after wave of enemies while completing short missions to earn money to upgrade your base. There's also different characters that you can level up and switch between at any time. It's pretty fun. It's also free, but there's some in-app purchases that you absolutely don't need to buy.

Metalmarc

Does Plague Inc. count as hidden gem? It's already over one year old but I just found out about it last week. I'm adddicted to it, would never have guessed that a mobile game can make so much fun!

Love that game, double dipped on the ipad and samsung tab, worth it

I don't think anything that topped (or was close to topping) the iOS charts could count as hidden...

probably not as its constantly on the TOP 100 list :D

i nominate Reckless Getaway!
Reckless-Getaway-iOS.png

Pawn'd is a match-three, but with an excellent twist (you can probably guess from its name what it is...)

mzl.xnfvebzn.320x480-75.jpg

The pieces you move, move like their respective chess pieces. So you can move a bishop anywhere diagonally, a Queen can move in any direction, a pawn can only move forwards, etc. There are a bunch of modes with each subtly changing how you approach the game, and there are bugger all IAPs.

CTLance

Third-ing Plague Inc. so much fun, and the news can be hilarious.

Valve Time slower than thought.

Researchers have calculated that it takes longer than expected for radioactive fluids with a half-life of 3 years to pass through valves. Reason unknown.

I mean, come on.

Circuit Coder is a very neat puzzle game. Depending on your schooling it's awfully familiar and outright work, but I still enjoy patching together logic gates to get the correct output.

DropZap 1 and 2 are awesome Tetris-y games. The rules are hard to convey but easy to understand. You drop balls and they shoot lasers and there's mirrors and ...

J-Werewolf is some sort of mini Metroidvania. Could be more polished, but definitely loads of fun.

Dark Dot is about a cute little black dot attempting to take over the world with his underlings. It's a vertical shooter, pretty neat.

Cash Catcher is a Monopoly game with a decidedly Asian influx.

Time Garden is a match-x game with action components. Nice for a quick game now and then.

If any of those are actually big, then... Uh... I didn't know. Some of the games might not even be on the AppStore anymore, I'm just digging through my installed apps looking at what I love to play.

One example that I know isn't on the AppStore anymore is Ogs. It's a neat two-player-only super simplified RTS. You have energy that fills up over time, you have units that block, attack, patrol, shoot, increase energy buildup etc, and you buy them with the energy. Shame it got pulled off the AppStore, it could have used some more balancing and polish.

gondwana

Magic Arrows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omnEKbbPqyQ
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-arrows/id466252160?mt=8

yj63hTM.jpg

this is an action puzzle game by the developers of the xi series, or devil dice and bombastic if you're familiar with the localizations. magic arrows follows the standard match-three system but makes two pretty big mechanical departures. for one thing, every piece has both a color and an arrow. the player can only move a piece in the direction the arrow points. left uncleared, arrows will also vanish as time progresses and difficulty increases, leaving unmovable pieces. when the screen fills up, it's game over. the kicker in the scoring system is that just clearing 3 pieces at a time will get you nowhere. you need to create perpendicular chains of at least 6 pieces. doing so creates a magic arrow piece, which not only clears everything in its path but gives you huge scores the larger the path is. that's all provided the magic arrow and subsequent pieces actually lead to adjacent pieces, which can be tricky in the thick of things.

Techno Trancer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ-a8SeYqYg
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/techno-trancer/id351993737?mt=8
caravan shmup with fresh mechanics.

Puzzle Prism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvmo5TbQy9M
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-prism/id297248418?mt=8
action puzzle game that's vaguely similar to the old arcade tetris variant blockout.

Bit Pilot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LbLVoRDm4U
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bit-pilot/id335451305?mt=8
dual stick arena game. i really like the controls in this game. there's no firing weapons; you use both thumbs to move the ship around with a high degree of control sensitivity.

Circadia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3aCXh6krRw
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/circadia/id489615659?mt=8
sound-based puzzle game. basically, you're trying to align the overtone series of each note on the screen to advance to the next level. i wouldn't call this a great game but the conceit really resonates with me.

JNT

spider1.png

Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor. One of the best games I've played on iPhone. From one of the creators of the original Thief.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
spider1.png

Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor. One of the best games I've played on iPhone. From one of the creators of the original Thief.

This game is fantastic.

I'd like to recommend Animales de la Muerte. One of the most fun games I've played on iOS.

Ending - roguelike puzzler with chess-esque elements
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ending/id647697139?mt=8

Wipeout - 2D platformer based on the hit show, surprisingly fun
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wipeout/id549592189?mt=8

Bullet Train Hell - puzzle platformer set atop a bullet train, retro graphics but great puzzles and a lot of fun
https://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/bullet-train-hell/id550918290?mt=8

Kona's Crate - hard as hell physics puzzle game withsimple yet challenging controls
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/konas-crate/id434278123?mt=8

Penumbear - very challenging 2D platformer with a very unique light/shadows mechanics, over 100 levels
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/penumbear/id593441872?mt=8

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
SWORD and POKER 1 & 2 (just start with the sequel) is one of my fave iOS games ever. Totally worth the premium price, and it doesn't bother me to play it 2X on iPad.

RPG SNAKE is a fun, little and addicting game. There's a Lite version available.

SPIRITS is a lemmings-esque puzzle game, neat.

PFD

Windosill
A very eerie and surreal puzzle game. It is very short, but I think of it more as a toy. The art style is amazing, and the physics are so much fun to play with. It's the perfect "hey check out this cool iPad game!" game that you can show to friends.

New Orbit
This is a highly atmospheric game. It has a spooky, decently long story that is fully voiced (a rarity for mobile titles.) However, what makes this game special is the gameplay. The gravity mechanics are so much fun once you master controlling your ship, which can actually take a while. The game can be challenging at first, but it's very rewarding once you master it.

Slice HD
This is a perfect party game. Think of it as a coop same-device multiplayer game. You will need as many fingers as you can get to help you pull back a variety of sharp blades in order to expose the red button. If anyone touches a razor edge while playing, they will get sliced and their blood will be sprayed on the screen (accompanied by horrible blade sounds.) The fun lies in discovering the patterns of each level, and watching your friends jump back in terror as they get sliced. The effects are very realistic.

Hack Run
This is a fun text-based adventure game that will make you feel like a badass hacker. There are lots of puzzles in the game, some of which require you to visit real websites in your browser. The game can be played in portrait or landscape orientation.

Polara
A very underrated platformer. It is a runner, in the sense that your character automatically runs to the right (think Rayman Jungle Run). You can jump and change your polarity (color), and the obstacles keep getting increasingly harder as you progress. The game has a rather long story for a platformer, and the music is really good and helps create an awesome atmosphere.

Sword and Glory

Generic name, but the game is far from it. It's almost like a lite version of King of Dragon Pass combined with a roguelike-esque lineage mechanic and one-on-one duel combat

You have one life to build your village, explore and complete quests, upgrade, and amass riches and fame. When you die, you play as your descendant; your riches are lost but other stuff carries over

And the art style is cool and different
sword_glory.jpg

And it's free with no ads and IAP is for impatient players only, absolutely not needed to fully enjoy the game

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'll link this thread in the iOS Gaming OP for August's thread, another iOS games resource destined for greatness.

PFD

Sword and Glory

Generic name, but the game is far from it. It's almost like a lite version of King of Dragon Pass combined with a roguelike-esque lineage mechanic and one-on-one duel combat

You have one life to build your village, explore and complete quests, upgrade, and amass riches and fame. When you die, you play as your descendant; your riches are lost but other stuff carries over

And the art style is cool and different
sword_glory.jpg

And it's free with no ads and IAP is for impatient players only, absolutely not needed to fully enjoy the game

Totally forgot about this game, was planning to try it out. Thanks!

BOO. Looks like this game was removed from the app store. No idea why. If I find out anything I'll update this post. Sad, it was an awesome game.

I thought Project 83113 ("Belle") was a fantastic shooter/platformer. Really addictive scoring system, fun moves (air dash, etc), great controls. Plus it has a weapon upgrade system.

Trailer
TouchArcade Thread
iTunes

Also, perhaps not really "hidden," but I think League of Evil is really the only iOS game to really nail an onscreen d-pad. 100 Rogues is my favorite rogue-like. Lots of hours into that one. They have lately bogged it down with IAP extra characters, but the core game is still there and quite solid.

I thought Project 83113 ("Belle") was a fantastic shooter/platformer. Really addictive scoring system, fun moves (air dash, etc), great controls. Plus it has a weapon upgrade system.

Trailer
TouchArcade Thread
iTunes

Also, perhaps not really "hidden," but I think League of Evil is really the only iOS game to really nail an onscreen d-pad. 100 Rogues is my favorite rogue-like. Lots of hours into that one. They have lately bogged it down with IAP extra characters, but the core game is still there and quite solid.
Unfortunately Project 83113 was removed from the App Store. not available anymore :(

You can download it from your purchase history if you downloaded it back when it was available.

I thought so... unfortunately i have downloaded a million apps and have spent the last 10 minutes scrolling through without finding it yet. No sorting or searching on this thing, gah!

Okay, let's make up for the gaff (lol) with Project 83113 by pulling out an "oldie but goodie:" Jet Car Stunts. This is a time-trial racer with crazy physics on your rocket car. Very clean, simple 3D graphics make for a great framerate on my iPhone 4. Fun tracks with loops and massive jumps.

YouTube
iTunes, $1.99

I thought so... unfortunately i have downloaded a million apps and have spent the last 10 minutes scrolling through without finding it yet. No sorting or searching on this thing, gah!

Okay, let's make up for the gaff (lol) with Project 83113 by pulling out an "oldie but goodie:" Jet Car Stunts. This is a time-trial racer with crazy physics on your rocket car. Very clean, simple 3D graphics make for a great framerate on my iPhone 4. Fun tracks with loops and massive jumps.

YouTube
iTunes, $1.99
Can't recommend JCS enough. It was my first IOS game so it had a special place in my library. The devs are working on the sequel; in the last update on Toucharcade, they said that grind rails are nearly perfected and they're tuning up the level editor

Papa Sangre

Probably the scariest game I've ever played. The game is sound only, and you use the touchscreen to move, rotate and interact with the environment. With the right headphones and a dark room this is scary as shit.

mzl.yqfwpayn.320x480-75.jpg

You can listen to a example of the technology they use here - http://vimeo.com/9916119
(in-ear headphones work best)

A sequel is right now in development.

Papa Sangre

Probably the scariest game I've ever played. The game is sound only, and you use the touchscreen to move, rotate and interact with the environment. With the right headphones and a dark room this is scary as shit.

mzl.yqfwpayn.320x480-75.jpg

You can listen to a example of the technology they use here - http://vimeo.com/9916119
(in-ear headphones work best)

A sequel is right now in development.

I have to say that this one was a disappointment to me when I played it (and i was psyched by the concept). For a game composed almost entirely of audio, the sounds are sampled at a pitifully low bitrate, and the actual gameplay was fairly limited. Still, it is a real novelty and I'm interested to see what a sequel will bring.

For a fun example of 3D sound from headphones, plug in and listen to this.

Thanks for creating this thread.

I've had an iPhone 5 for months and never really used it to play games on. Feel a bit wasteful after looking over the wonder in here.

Did play lots of Plague Inc. for awhile though, hilarious stuff at times.

Top Bottom