• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IOSU Hack (homebrew and more) planned to be released for Wii U on Dec. 24th

Some interesting options for Wii U with the Gamepad, IMO. If we could emulate systems like the Wii and have them on the Gamepad I would be pretty happy.

Edit: to clarify I meant to emulate the same systems on Wii U that have Wii emulators. Not emulate Wii on Wii U.

Dambrosi

Banned
Finally. Proper Wiiware and Wii Virtual Console support for GamePad, here we come.

Playing CastleVania ReBirth and Muscle March in bed, away from the TV, will be so sweet.

In terms of cheating, no, it is very real. It's a tradeoff - homebrew and piracy for a ruined online ecosystem.

Huh? Homebrew and Piracy have little to do with it. Retail purchasable cheat programs existed outside of homebrew apps, and had been released for Wii, PS3, and x360 last gen.

Homebrew by and large don't access the system's network, and piracy gives you 1:1 copies.

And it'll only be ruined if Nintendo doesn't have a system for checking and banning mods or cheaters. They didn't for Wii, so if they're so incompetent as to not do something for Wii U, then they almost deserve it.

Eila

Nice. I've been waiting for that 5.5.0 exploit. Looking forward to what use people can put to the gamepad... hopefully. Also undubs and uncensors... hopefully.

RhyDin

Huh? Homebrew and Piracy have little to do with it. Retail purchasable cheat programs existed outside of homebrew apps, and had been released for Wii, PS3, and x360 last gen.

Homebrew by and large don't access the system's network, and piracy gives you 1:1 copies.

And it'll only be ruined if Nintendo doesn't have a system for checking and banning mods or cheaters. They didn't for Wii, so if they're so incompetent as to not do something for Wii U, then they almost deserve it.
As far as I know, there were only save editors last gen at retail. Ps3 custom firmware and 360 JTAG, along with Wii hacks, allowed for online cheating. This gen, there has been no online hacks yet, except on PC, because you can modify or run unsigned code and modify stuff in RAM.

HDD loader.

Region free.

Wii and GC games playable using the Gamepad.

Give it to me.

Wii, GC, and all the other systems that the Wii emulated. I would expect most emulators wouldn't take much work to be up and running on Wii U, but I'm not the most knowledgeable at that.

Rich!

Wii, GC, and all the other systems that the Wii emulated. I would expect most emulators wouldn't take much work to be up and running on Wii U, but I'm not the most knowledgeable at that.

You do realise all of that already runs on the Wii U in Wii mode? GameCube games run flawlessly via Nintendont on the Wii U and have done for a couple of years now. I was playing Smash Bros Melee and Timesplitters 2 on my Wii U yesterday in fact.

The draw here is native Wii U mode will allow all of that to run with the gamepad! Off TV play with GameCube games! Retroarch on the gamepad! Decent N64 emulation!

RedToad64

Wii was busted wide open early and didn't suffer the same software sales fate.
Super Mario Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, and Other M say otherwise.

Developers don't want to support a dead system. Developers especially don't want to support a dead system with piracy.

I'm glad you guys are happy for homebrew stuff. However, the large major of users will go the piracy route. I'm sorry, but this is bad for everyone in the long run.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm never happy to enable piracy. But I do love the ability to rip my own discs to an Hdd, so at least that may come out of this...

GooeyHeat

Hey, if it means any chance of seeing a Project M version of Smash 4...
Project M should be left where it is. What we need is the equivalent, but for the N64 Smash Bros.
No side-B, no wall teching, no spot dodges, no air dodges, completely absurd amounts of hitstun and blockstun, terribad recoveries... Shit like this but in glorious HD.

Actually super intetested in this so I can play Deus Ex and ZombiU (in English) on my Japanese WiiU! Depending on how safe it is, I might wait for the NX to come out, though.

Parfait

PS3 and 360 suffer from online cheats because of these hacks, which is a problem for everyone. You can say goodbye to Splatoon after this thing is out.

Nothing positive ever comes out of these hacks, it's just people getting excited to pirate some games and trolls excited to ruin everyone's online games. Fuck these hackers.

PD1P4H4.gif

Pretty good news. It definitely will be nice to use it for region free gaming with the added bonus of Smash Mods and Back-Ups later down the line.

EmiPrime

Developers don't want to support a dead system. Developers especially don't want to support a dead system with piracy.

I'm glad you guys are happy for homebrew stuff. However, the large major of users will go the piracy route. I'm sorry, but this is bad for everyone in the long run.

The Wii U is already dead as a third party platform so even if this enables piracy it changes nothing. The NX is coming out next year, we'll enjoy the 6 or 7 Nintendo made Wii U games of 2016 and then the system and its games will vanish completely from store shelves. The Wii U's retail presence in the UK is tiny to non-existent as it is.

I love the Wii U, I wish it still had a few more years in it but let's be real here, it has one foot in the grave already.

I dont need two hands to count the wii u games worth importing.

Me neither. I will probably import a US copy of NES Remix so I have a physical copy and then call it a day.

You do realise all of that already runs on the Wii U in Wii mode? GameCube games run flawlessly via Nintendont on the Wii U and have done for a couple of years now. I was playing Smash Bros Melee and Timesplitters 2 on my Wii U yesterday in fact.

The draw here is native Wii U mode will allow all of that to run with the gamepad! Off TV play with GameCube games! Retroarch on the gamepad! Decent N64 emulation!

Yep, that's what I'm mostly excited for, all those systems available on the Gamepad. My earlier post in here mentioned that, but this one didn't.

I imagine the emulators the Wii had available on the Gamepad and it gets pretty exciting :) the Gamepad makes this a lot more attractive to me. That said, I do need to download Nintendont. If I could rip my GC discs, I already would have.

Obviously.

That hack is for Wii mode. This is entirely different.

Itll be a web based entry point.

I know nothing about the WiiU HB scene so treat me like I'm 5. I only asked because in order to get access to the GC backcompat I would have had to hunt down a copy of SSBB and I didn't feel like it.

This is always a good thing for preservation and expansion of the system's capabilities after it leaves retail.

Hopefully it allows someone someday to make Wii games playable with gamepad controls and higher internal rendering resolution.

Rich!

I know nothing about the WiiU HB scene so treat me like I'm 5. I only asked because in order to get access to the GC backcompat I would have had to hunt down a copy of SSBB and I didn't feel like it.

Ah right

Get SSBB anyway and install homebrew on the Wii side. Might as well utilise that functionality and play GameCube games. Just sell SSBB after.

I bought SSBB from GAME for £12, installed the hack and sold it to CEX for almost all my cash back.

MUnited83

For you.

Piracy was already possible way before this. it's irrelevant.

PS3 and 360 suffer from online cheats because of these hacks, which is a problem for everyone. You can say goodbye to Splatoon after this thing is out.

Nothing positive ever comes out of these hacks, it's just people getting excited to pirate some games and trolls excited to ruin everyone's online games. Fuck these hackers.
Nope. There's only positive things coming from this. Hacks already exist for online. Piracy already fucking exists too. Splatoon is still fine (wow, incredible, am i rite). At least research your stuff before coming with doomsday theories please.

EmiPrime

Ah right

Get SSBB anyway and install homebrew on the Wii side. Might as well utilise that functionality and play GameCube games. Just sell SSBB after.

I bought SSBB from GAME for £12, installed the hack and sold it to CEX for almost all my cash back.

LEGO Indy, Batman and Star Wars work too. None of them should cost more than £5.

Tohsaka

Yup. People have been pirating Wii U games for a while now, this new hack isn't going to be anything revolutionary on that front. I'm looking forward to being able to back up all my retail discs to a USB drive, though.

Rich!

Yep.

Backup loader has been available on the Wii U since May or so this year. Loads from SD. You boot it using Smash Bros or the Mii Maker.

Guess what? No one gives a shit. If you own a Wii U, you own all the relevant games already. And aside from those, what is there to pirate? It's hardly the Nintendo DS.

Not to mention the fact that Wii U ISOs are nigh impossible to find - because of the significant lack of interest in the console itself.

Jubern

I don't mind the extra functionality this could bring through home-brew, but I seriously hope it doesn't destroy Splatoon with cheaters...

If only. The thirst might not be there anymore.

PMBR bailed for a game yet to be officially announced 17 days ago.
Too many people like/are ok with 4.
Current PM is excellent and certain community members want a static game to build a meta onto (for some reason.)

This does still open the door for individual character modification. Skins, costumes, new characters. General brawl era stuff. Maybe we'll get some thing stupid but awesome that actually makes the game fun and removes the training wheels, like a Brawl - type of thing.

Yeah after that PM team situation I lost hope for any Project M level of modding, but here's hoping for some quick n dirties that'll let me enjoy Smash 4 more.

I dont need two hands to count the wii u games worth importing.

Why should the amount of games worth importing even matter? If even a single game is region locked from a region that never gets the game then the company that region locked either the console or the game fucked up big time.

Are you blaming piracy for SMG2, Skyward Sword, and Other M selling really good on an otherwise fading system? Really? In the case of the latter two, there were issues in the appeal of those games, rather than piracy.

As far as I know, there were only save editors last gen at retail. Ps3 custom firmware and 360 JTAG, along with Wii hacks, allowed for online cheating. This gen, there has been no online hacks yet, except on PC, because you can modify or run unsigned code and modify stuff in RAM.
Really early in Xbox 360's life, there was a system in place for checking for modification and errant processes in running software for users playing online. You can't even take a modified 360 dash online safely. JTAG or not. Sony employed a similar, though admittedly less secure, system and likely learned from previous mistakes with PS4. That lies at the fault of the ones who run the security on the network. If Nintendo is shitty enough to not address that before the issue arises, then don't blame those who created the hacks. The examples were there long, long, long before Wii U even released to consumers.

Nyoro SF

Might be useful for cheats that unlock locked content or undubs.

Thanks to the Wii being hacked I was able to apply fun cheats to a lot of the games I owned. Hope I can do the same soon.

Top Bottom