• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFIB

iphone-han-solo-carbonite-case.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/9497003...c854b8c4d5c153d0_1332975309_14198676_han_solo

The best phone case I have ever seen.

Menelaus

Banned
I've now had my 4S for 2 weeks after leaving my Galaxy Nexus behind. I have to say, iOS just "feels" right. It hurts me to say that, after having used Android for the last 2 years. If the screen was just 4'' it would be perfect.

I posted awhile back about my wife's new 4S having trouble with putting sound out through the external speaker. Music, YouTube videos and the like. It was an intermittent problem so she brought it into the Apple Store and they gave her a brand new one (especially timely since she had just scratched the screen by dropping it). Good service by Apple.

Sanic

I've had my iPhone about a month and a half now and I noticed yesterday that the screen is ever so slightly separating from the rest of the phone on the right side. It's so subtle that I have to assume its been like that since I got the phone and I've just never noticed. I've never dropped the phone or otherwise done anything that could cause this. If I take it to an apple store will they just swap it out for a new phone for me?

bob page

I've had my iPhone about a month and a half now and I noticed yesterday that the screen is ever so slightly separating from the rest of the phone on the right side. It's so subtle that I have to assume its been like that since I got the phone and I've just never noticed. I've never dropped the phone or otherwise done anything that could cause this. If I take it to an apple store will they just swap it out for a new phone for me?

Yeah, you should have no problem swapping it. My OG iPad used to make a creaking noise whenever I tapped on the corner of the screen because it was separating a bit and they didn't give me any fuss.

Sanic

Thanks, good to hear. My only concern is that I have no real way of proving that I didn't do this myself, but I'm not sure it matters.

123rl

My iPhone 4 bumper fits without a problem

I have noticed a strange problem. I wouldn't call it light leak but it's similar
6933924230_a51b1d98f8_o.png

If you look at the top bar you can see little clumps of light and dark spots. It's only noticeable on light backgrounds, which is most of the time unfortunately. Would Apple swap it for this? Everything else about this 4S is fine. I have a good battery, no cosmetic damage, and the white balance is fine

JGS

Banned
Thanks, good to hear. My only concern is that I have no real way of proving that I didn't do this myself, but I'm not sure it matters.
They replaced my Iphone 4s with no questions asked (After a brief period of trying to fix it) when the speakers stopped working. They just assumed it was a design flaw. Great experience.

Is there a reason my phone constantly shows 4G since I assumed I didn't have this?

laika09

They replaced my Iphone 4s with no questions asked (After a brief period of trying to fix it) when the speakers stopped working. They just assumed it was a design flaw. Great experience.

Is there a reason my phone constantly shows 4G since I assumed I didn't have this?

AT&T markets their 3G HSPA+ as 4G (as opposed to 4G LTE), and Apple is enabling them.

Don't know where to ask this so I'll ask this here. When the iPhone 5 has 4g and I upgrade to it, will I still have my unlimited data plan that I was grandfathered into? Or are am I going to be forced to the new data capped plans

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Don't know where to ask this so I'll ask this here. When the iPhone 5 has 4g and I upgrade to it, will I still have my unlimited data plan that I was grandfathered into? Or are am I going to be forced to the new data capped plans
Maybe? Unless someone can predict the future...

Menelaus

Banned

I have noticed a strange problem. I wouldn't call it light leak but it's similar

If you look at the top bar you can see little clumps of light and dark spots. It's only noticeable on light backgrounds, which is most of the time unfortunately. Would Apple swap it for this? Everything else about this 4S is fine. I have a good battery, no cosmetic damage, and the white balance is fine

That's normal on the 4S.

Kccitystar

You would have to extend your contract and lose your unlimited data if you upgrade to the next iPhone.

Phoenix

Menelaus

Banned
I don't think it is. I've got it too, but I'm gonna live with it because this is a replacement to my original 4S (had a horrid yellow screen, but not this issue).

All of the recent 4S's I've ordered at work have it at low brightness. I think it's just a product of the new screen manufacturing process.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Google sync uses the exchange active sync to push email, calendars and contacts. I used it for two years on the iphone before iCloud came out and it works very well. takes around 3 or 4 steps to setup and google tells you how to their google sync website.

this part works very well

I have zero idea how google talk works on iPhone. maybe that will be the dealbreaker? there may be some IM clients that hook into it and then use the apple push notifications to deliver messages. someone else can answer this one.

do you think this would help with gmail push on windows phone? My wife is using my old HTC trophy and not getting gmail pushed to her. I was considering updating her to an iphone for better gmail support

Kccitystar

My apologies if this has been discussed already but has there been a fix yet for the battery issue? My uncle picked up a 4S a couple of weeks ago and he says even through moderate use the battery seems to go from 100% to 50% in about a few hours.

I own an iPhone 4 so I am not aware of this issue, but is it something that can be fixed by just a replacement phone or is it like a widespread issue regardless of carrier?

Menelaus

Banned
My apologies if this has been discussed already but has there been a fix yet for the battery issue? My uncle picked up a 4S a couple of weeks ago and he says even through moderate use the battery seems to go from 100% to 50% in about a few hours.

Never seen this on my 4S, I get 4+ hours of usage per charge. From everything I've read, I've heard that it seems to be certain phones. I'd suggest he swap it out if he can at an Apple store.

ChanHuk

Banned
Been calling around, a local shop nearby will replace my screen for $70. The glass is nicked on most the corners so its really annoying to hold. I don't think I'm techy enough to do it on my own.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Been calling around, a local shop nearby will replace my screen for $70. The glass is nicked on most the corners so its really annoying to hold. I don't think I'm techy enough to do it on my own.

But what screen are they putting in?

I've had a few friends buy replacement screens off eBay and they are always inferior yellow screens with worse viewing angles.

Edit: Oh, are you just talking glass? Thought you meant the actual screen.

Phoenix

If you got the AppleCare you can bring it back to Apple and pay them $59 to replace it.

samven582

That is not normal. I would ask apple for a replacement

edgefusion

My iPhone 4S seems to suffer from the death grip! I thought this was fixed? I googled it and can't seem to find anyone else with the same problem. Flat on my desk the phone has 4-5 bars of signal but as soon as I pick it up it withers away until "no service" is displayed. If I put it back down the bars come back (eventually). What is up with that? It's so irritating!

I've seemed to have lost my visual voice mail. Now, everytime I open the phone and click on the voicemail tab, it dials my voicemail.

Also, does Atomic support the built in gestures like tapping at the top of the screen?

Edit: Just saw that I can try to restore from a backup to restore the voicemails; hopefully, it works.

EYEL1NER

Isn't there an iOS wishlist thread or something? I could have sworn there was, but I can't find it.
I'm about to put my daughter to sleep and take a nap when I got started thinking about the alarm clocks. I need to set one so I am sure to wake up later to go get my wife from work and I opened a recent free alarm I picked up. Is there anyway that they would be able to implement something in the future where the phone can be locked but an app stay running? Like if I wanted the alarm to stay up but not have the phone unlocked? I know that some people know some things about the way iOS and the iPhones work, so is there any reason this could not be done?

I am on my phone, but it's the same thing for my iPad. I have a really cool clock app. I would love it if I could open the app, kick open the stand, and place it on my night stand in place of my clock, only not have it unlocked. Like if my daughter were to grab it, she wouldn't be able to get to the home screen or do anything, the only thing doing anything is the clock changing. Or if you were in your cubicle at work, you could have a clock up and ticking away the time, substituting for a normal clock, but not have to worry about getting up for a drink and some dickhead coworker changing your wallpaper and 'Hasslehoff-ing' you.
Possible in the future?
Of course it would have to be plugged in all night though, since the battery would not last long.

edgefusion

The Clock app has an alarm function built-in you could use? It doesn't need to be open for the alarm to play. I use it every morning.

distrbnce

Banned
Isn't there an iOS wishlist thread or something? I could have sworn there was, but I can't find it.
I'm about to put my daughter to sleep and take a nap when I got started thinking about the alarm clocks. I need to set one so I am sure to wake up later to go get my wife from work and I opened a recent free alarm I picked up. Is there anyway that they would be able to implement something in the future where the phone can be locked but an app stay running? Like if I wanted the alarm to stay up but not have the phone unlocked? I know that some people know some things about the way iOS and the iPhones work, so is there any reason this could not be done?

I am on my phone, but it's the same thing for my iPad. I have a really cool clock app. I would love it if I could open the app, kick open the stand, and place it on my night stand in place of my clock, only not have it unlocked. Like if my daughter were to grab it, she wouldn't be able to get to the home screen or do anything, the only thing doing anything is the clock changing. Or if you were in your cubicle at work, you could have a clock up and ticking away the time, substituting for a normal clock, but not have to worry about getting up for a drink and some dickhead coworker changing your wallpaper and 'Hasslehoff-ing' you.
Possible in the future?
Of course it would have to be plugged in all night though, since the battery would not last long.

This is all possible (on the iPhone, not positive on iPad). Just set an alarm or a timer.

If you have Siri, say "set a timer for 30 minutes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom